• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Viswam and Vishnu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Dr Arun Shankar,

Thank you for your posting and remark. I could not immediately reply you because of ill health. Details regarding photosynthesis, evolution, disappearance of a huge variety and species of animals at the end of each era have all been dealt by me in a subsequent chapter and hence I would request you to read that chapter and I am not proposing to reply them here.

What impresses me, however, is your remark about climate change and the steps necessary to mitigate the effects of climate change.

While I do not agree with some of the major conclusions arrived at by the panel headed by Dr Pachauri, I agree that we should pay for the sins we have committed and rectify them and mitigate them to the extent possible. Instead of thinking grandiose plans of sequestration of Carbon-di-oxide, prevention of depletion of ozone layer, preventing rise of sea level etc, we have to think of some innovative simpler ideas. Silly though as it may look, I would suggest the following :-

Corruption has come to stay. As long as there are people to corrupt and to receive, nothing on earth can save corruption. The only thing that I suggest is we can convert this threat into an opportunity. Instead of giving Rs 500 or Rs 5000 to purchase a vote to win an election or to give a TV set which is sold the next day in the market, I suggest the following :-
1.At the time of election, let the political parties present each family with a solar lantern or any solar driven appliance. People might argue, that solar cells are too costly and that they will not be given as presents. I am only reminded of a story of Queen Victoria. When the first aluminium plant manufactured Aluminium, they prepared an aluminium plate and spoon and they presented to the Queen. They were so costly, much costlier than the gold plate she was using for food, that she discarded the gold plate, used the Aluminium plate, washed it herself and kept it in her personal safety locker. We now know the value of Aluminium plates!. Solar based equipment are not going to be manufactured or researched for in cold countries and we have to do it.

2.Do rain water harvesting on behalf of the voters in each house, in each street and village, properly following the filtration methods etc. Stop making tar and cement roads except as arterial roads and keep the roads within villages etc as soft macadam roads through which the rainwater can seep through.
3.There is no free lunch. The national rural employment guarantee scheme is an excellent approach, but the politicians are trying to make it as bad as any other scheme. Keep the village panchayats only in the picture to drill wells, to deepen the tanks and lakes and ponds etc so that the rain water is adequately stored. There are excellent methods followed by villagers in Rajasthan and these can be adopted universally. Make the payment to the villagers directly by crediting their salary to their bank accounts.
4.Give a clean coal gas stove to each family.
5.Start a gobar gas plant for each street or each village and arrange to distribute gobar gas to each house for cooking and lighting. Get the votes promised in return for these gestures.
6.Jatropha cultivation has not taken off at all in a large scale. Help villagers to adopt waste lands and uncultivated lands next to Railway lines etc, instead of the elephantine SEZ and help the villagers to grow Jatropha. They would require assistance for a small quantity of water for the first three years and then for the next 25 years they give seed yields on their own. This oil from Jetropha will help reduce consumption of diesel upto 10% in the country. Imagine the amount of saving and the amount of official corruption you can give to villagers either directly or through political parties.

7.Give responsibilities to each family, street or village to grow a certain number of trees every year in the neighbourhood and support them financially.

8.Help the fishermen, not to disturb the coral reefs or catch the chyitinous moluscs for eating purposes. They will help saving enoromous calcium carbonate from the atmosphere.

There may be many more such schemes and ideas emanating from many which can help convert the threat of corruption to an opportunity of general welfare to humanity.

Flooding takes place all the time. For eg. A study of the soil core from the Bombay oil field area has shown that there were terrestrial fresh water elements occurring as recent fossils. In other words, in a distance of 140 Kms, the sea has advanced with a water depth of about 80 m near the Bombay High Field. The timing roughly coincides with the period of Dwaraka Submergence. we have had instances of Cauvery Poompattinam in the east coast disappearing on one such event. Even recently four decades back, Danushkodi has disappeared. The recent Tsunami of 2004 has made parts of Nicobar and some other areas disappear. Therefore, flooding of areas and disappearance is a phenomenon which will happen from time to time irrespective of any climate panel. What is however required is we should not deliberately commit greater sins without compensating adequately for relief from them.

Regards and respects,

Ramanathan

Dr Ramanathan sir,

your ideas are excellent and most welcome.

If we start using renewable energies like wind, micro-hydel and solar, the power generation and distribution can be done locally at village levels.

In my own village, there are two rivers on both sides of the village. The flow of water in the rivers on both sides are regulated through shutters. On the downside of the shutters water is released at enormous force. During my younger days, we use to go and stand near the water release and we use find it very difficult to face the force of water. If we start putting small micro hyder power stations - say 25 KW plus, it can meet the requirement of our village.

Please see the following published report which says the potential is 15000 MW in the country.

http://www.inshp.org/THE 3rd HYDRO ...ions/India/SMALL HYDRO POTENTIAL IN INDIA.pdf

Small wind turbines of say 25 Kw or so could be installed throughout coastal areas and other areas where wind potential is good. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore has published a paper on wind energy potential which could be seen from the following weblink

Wind Energy Potential

Solar energy has huge potential but capital cost is very high. May be when the solar panel costs come down, it may be attractive.

Cobar gas plants could be installed in rural areas combining diary for self employment at rural areas. It can be used for heating, cooking etc.

Once power generation and distribution is localised, huge amount spent on transmission could be saved.

May be people could be encouraged to use LED lamps etc to save consumption at the user end.

As a country we have committed to reduce energy consumption to the extent of 20 to 25% by 2020 at Copenhagen summit.

Copenhagen Summit: India?s commitment, December 8, 2009 - French Embassy in India - Ambassade de France en Inde

It is high time all of us work towards the goals committed by the nation so that we are well ahead of other countries in controlling emissions.

All the best

Dear Sri RVR,
Thank you for your very encouraging reply and the post. My ambition is that socially enlightened fora like Tamil Brahmins.com and many other NGOs with similar objective should take up such matters and appeal to all the political parties that they should not give cash, drinks and briyani packets to likely supporters but venture on such socially utilitarian projects in each village at the time of election and thus convert the threat of corruption to ome of opportunity for development,
Can TB take some initiative?
Regards and respcts,
Ramanathan.

Dr Ramanathan Sir,

Mahatma Gandhi's vision of village as a unit of self sufficiency is the need of the hour.

There is a village called Koothambakkam

http://nri-home-coming.com/LessonsFromKuthambakkamOct18Chicago.pdf

A dalith Panchayat President Sri Elanga, who earlier worked with Central Electrochemical Laboratory, karaikudi transformed the village into a model one as per Mahatma Gandhi's vision.

Before he took over as panchayat, it was a notorious for illicit liquor and caste clashes between vanniars and daliths.

He silently worked for more employment with addition value added products in food processing and self sufficiency as visioned by Mahatma Gandhi.

Since he worked for dalith education and development, more and more daliths got educated and stopped going for agricultural work.

The upper castes who use to hire daliths for mean jobs were forced to go for modernisation of agriculture involving less labour.

He adopted Gandhian economics. A detailed book on Gandhian economics is written by late Sri J.C.Kumarappa

Gandhian economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My elder brother who is an alumini of IIT was actively involved through his batch of IIT alumini association in supporting Sri Elango with low caste automations and technical improvements in local industries.

Net result, the village is highly prosperous now. There are no caste clashes.

As suggested by you, our forum should get involved in rural development taking cues from Kuthambakkam and Sri Elanga. My brother personally knows sri Elango and his IIT batchmates will provide technical inputs free of caste using IIT facilities.

I am at your disposal for any worthwhile initiative for such a movement.

I sincerely request all the members not to highlight caste clashes happening here and there (mostly aberrations) in this forum and instead let us actively involved with developing villages for prosperity.

All the best

Dr Ramanathan Sir,

Mahatma Gandhi's vision of village as a unit of self sufficiency is the need of the hour.

There is a village called Koothambakkam

http://nri-home-coming.com/LessonsFromKuthambakkamOct18Chicago.pdf

A dalith Panchayat President Sri Elanga, who earlier worked with Central Electrochemical Laboratory, karaikudi transformed the village into a model one as per Mahatma Gandhi's vision.

Before he took over as panchayat, it was a notorious for illicit liquor and caste clashes between vanniars and daliths.

He silently worked for more employment with addition value added products in food processing and self sufficiency as visioned by Mahatma Gandhi.

Since he worked for dalith education and development, more and more daliths got educated and stopped going for agricultural work.

The upper castes who use to hire daliths for mean jobs were forced to go for modernisation of agriculture involving less labour.

He adopted Gandhian economics. A detailed book on Gandhian economics is written by late Sri J.C.Kumarappa

Gandhian economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My elder brother who is an alumini of IIT was actively involved through his batch of IIT alumini association in supporting Sri Elango with low caste automations and technical improvements in local industries.

Net result, the village is highly prosperous now. There are no caste clashes.

As suggested by you, our forum should get involved in rural development taking cues from Kuthambakkam and Sri Elanga. My brother personally knows sri Elango and his IIT batchmates will provide technical inputs free of caste using IIT facilities.

I am at your disposal for any worthwhile initiative for such a movement.

I sincerely request all the members not to highlight caste clashes happening here and there (mostly aberrations) in this forum and instead let us actively involved with developing villages for prosperity.

All the best

Dear RVR,

May the Force be with you..(qoute from Movie Star Wars)
and Let Noble Thoughts come to us from all sides - Rigveda

Last edited:
Dear all,

Just wanted to add some info.
So far we have dealt with Panchikarana(Grossification) where it is the evolution of the Tamasic aspect of the 5 great elements.
Just want to touch upon on the evolution of the Sattva and Rajas aspect too.

The evolution of the Sattva Aspect

" Among these 5 great elements, out of the sattvic aspect of space,the organ of hearing,the ear evolved.From the sattvic aspect of air, the organ of touch, the skin evolved.From the sattvic aspect of fire, the organ of sight, the eye, evolved.From the sattvic aspect of water, the organ of taste,the tougue evolved.From the sattvic aspect of earth, the organ of smell, the nose evolved."

"From the total sattvic aspect of these 5 great elements the inner instrument of the mind, intellect,ego and memory are formed.The mind is of the nature of indecision. The intellect is of the nature of decision.The ego is of the nature of notion of doership.Memory is of the nature of thinking or recollecting.
The presiding deity of the mind is the Moon, of the intellect..Brahma, of the ego..Rudra and of the memory Vaasudeva. "

The Evolution of the Rajas Aspect

"Among these 5 great elements,from the Rajas aspect of space, the organ of speech is formed.From the rajas aspect of air, the organ of grasping, the hands are formed.
From the rajas aspect of fire, the organ of locomotion,the legs are formed.From the rajas aspect of water, the organ of procreation is formed.From the rajasic aspect of earth the aboral end is formed.From the total rajas aspect of these 5 great elements the 5 vital airs,praanas are formed."

from Tattva Bodhah of AdiShankaracharya, commentary by Swami Tejomayananda of Central Chinmaya Misson

Disclaimer: Purely Religious Point of View

Dear Dr.Kartikayan,
Panchikaranam is a vast subject. Sureswaracharya,the first disciple of Adi sankara , has written a Vartikam on Adisankara's Commentary on Panchikaranam,but primarily oriented towards AUM. Ancient Greek philosophers have also considered this but taken into account only four primordial elements and left out ether.
MY ununderstood problem is, how, after the combination of one eighth of each of the other tanmatras, with half of the one primordial element, each exhibits only one property like sound, rupam, taste etc but not the sum total of a combination of all these senses.
The sense objects are innocenet tanmatras which, in another form,become the SENSE ORGANS.Yet, steam can not bind water, inspite of both beingthe same element in its subtle or gross form.
Adisankara says that sense objects are a TRAP. He gives the beautiful example of a deer getting fascinated by sound, elephant by touch particularly in mating season,the fish by its ravenous hunger and therefore getting caught in the bait, the moth by the flame and the honey bee by the fragrant smell of flowers and what happensto the man who is attached to all these five senses (Sloka 76of Viveka choodamani).
What is the method by which discrimination canthen come up?
Regards and respects
Ramanathan.

Dear Dr.Kartikayan,
Panchikaranam is a vast subject. Sureswaracharya,the first disciple of Adi sankara , has written a Vartikam on Adisankara's Commentary on Panchikaranam,but primarily oriented towards AUM. Ancient Greek philosophers have also considered this but taken into account only four primordial elements and left out ether.
MY ununderstood problem is, how, after the combination of one eighth of each of the other tanmatras, with half of the one primordial element, each exhibits only one property like sound, rupam, taste etc but not the sum total of a combination of all these senses.
The sense objects are innocenet tanmatras which, in another form,become the SENSE ORGANS.Yet, steam can not bind water, inspite of both beingthe same element in its subtle or gross form.
Adisankara says that sense objects are a TRAP. He gives the beautiful example of a deer getting fascinated by sound, elephant by touch particularly in mating season,the fish by its ravenous hunger and therefore getting caught in the bait, the moth by the flame and the honey bee by the fragrant smell of flowers and what happensto the man who is attached to all these five senses (Sloka 76of Viveka choodamani).
What is the method by which discrimination canthen come up?
Regards and respects
Ramanathan.

Dear Dr Ramanathanji,

Regarding discrimination(viveka) in man, i guess its up to us to realize the difference between real and unreal or rather permenace and inpermenance.
This does not come overnight and may even take a few births to reach the state of beyond the pairs of opposites.
Animals are mainly instinct based mainly due to a different consciousness level.I am using the word different consciousness level rather than lesser consciousness as usually used because at a personal level I have seen an animal who I felt actually used to "think" and which had a level of compassion which might even put humans to shame.

Viveka is a function of the buddhi portion of our antahkarana.
Thoughts in a state of violation is Manas and thoughts in a state of decision is Buddhi.
Viveka comes with conditioning of our thoughts, words and deed.
Previous births impressions also can affect our discriminative faculty(Viveka).
Education,surrounding/environment and upbringing can also affect our Viveka.
Senses are binding mainly to the delusive effect of Maya.
The cosmic deluder(Maya) spins a web of 3 colours(Gunas) around us and its up to us to emerge a chrysallis from its binding cocoon.

That is why Satsang,Pooja,Namasmaranam are recomended for conditioning of our Mind to make it less agitated and swayed by the senses.
What ever I am saying sounds easy when one types it in a forum but in real life is really difficult to put everything into practice.

The feeling of "Mamaiva" is very difficult to eliminate.
I am sure all of us have been in a situation where in a crowd when we see a person who shares the same language/origin as us we are naturally drawn to that person becos he/she is our countryman.
This is also sense attachment....

I guess the first step towards improving our Viveka is ceiling of desires.Not to supress but rather to weigh pro and cons before embarking on any desire whether good or bad.

Dear Dr Ramantahan,regarding your first question on tanmantras and sum effect of it...give me some time...need to read and analyse more.

renuka

Last edited:
Dear Dr Ramanathan Ji,

regarding your question about the tanmatras...for example Space:

Grossified/Panchikaranized Space has :
1/2 ungrossified space,1/8 ungrossified air,1/8ungrossified fire,1/8 ungrossified water,1/8 ungrossified earth.

since the Space element of the tanmatras is more hence the grossified Space element will naturally potray more charecteristics of the Space Tanmatra.
In other words here 1/2 Space is dominant and all the other 1/8 portions of air,fire,water and earth are recessive.

There also could be a possibilty that the 1/8 portions also to a certain extent exert an effect which might not be comprehensible to our perception.

Also i have no idea if this Panchikarana differs from planets to planets and from universes to universes and from loka to loka.
They could have a different combination which could explain the apparent lack of oxygen/water in other planets.
I wonder if the Panchikarana we know is only pertaining to Planet Earth.

disclaimer: purely religious point of view and some unproven thoughts of mine.

Last edited:

Ramanathan.[/QUOTE]

Dear Dr RamanathanJi,

I dont get it here about the steam can not bind water...

Steam is also H20--- but in a gaseos state.
Steam does not need to bind liquid H20 as it is H2O itself.
Steam is a gaseous state but it is invariably a gross state only and not subtle state.

renu

To RVR sir really your thoughts are Noble thoughts and best wishes for earlier start of any village for adopation and start its develpoment. s.r.k.

Dear Sri RVR,
I was waiting for a few more responses before I could reply. We have now a point made by Sri Satsangi.
The issue is not that simple. The election commission have made two points clear
1.They cannot take note of corruption of Rs 500,1000 or 5000 being given to each voter at the time of election, nor about the free briyani or drinks.
2. These can not be accounted within the overall limits of expenditure prescribed for each candidatate for expenditure.
My suggestion is that the NGOs should take advantage of this as an opportunity.The candidates or the parties may be encouraged to spend money on energy related, or green energy related orclimate mitigation related matters, either on an individual voter, or his street, or his locality, village etc so that developmental benefits could go to them, in return for their votes.The election commission, instead of putting a shutter down on any dev activity, once an election is notified, it should encourage more such individualised dev oriented exp to the public.The parallel money available both inside and outside the country for running a shadow govt, can be profitably and publicly put to good use.
This can not be done by an individual but may be possible by an NGO or group of NGOS, who may issue a detailed appeal for publication and follow up, both to the print and electronic media,election commission, PM, and the concerned beaurocrats etc.This can be tried as an experimental measure in Bihar, Tamil Nadu and U.P.where the elections are due in the next couple of years.Of course, the involvement of the candidates and the political parties, is a prime requisite
Special attention has to be given to areas like Gober energy, solar energy,biodiesel from Jatropha,Clean coal gas stove, solar lantern, electricity from clean washed indigenous coal and not imported coal , rain water harvesting at individual as well as at community level etc etc.
Can the Tamil Brahmin.com together with a few NGOs take initiative?
Regards and Respects,
Ramanathan.

Dear Sri. RVR,
May I take it that my posting of 9th requesting for a movement for appeal to the concerned authorities has had a natural death?
Regards and respects,
Ramanathan.

Dr Ramanathan Sir,

Each one of us are committed to certain social works. Personally I am involved with our community work through swayamvaram, education and medical services.

I am already occupied with my own business and also with the development of my native village.

I may not be able to spare much of time for any other work at present.

If possible, please try to involve some other people

All the best

Dear Dr. Renuka,
I am afraid we have not understood Pancheekaranam of our own planet also and surely one would get a doctorate for a proper understanding and explanation from a good university.
My reference to Pancheekaranam is in the context of Prakrti Tatwas and the important role that the less understood Tanmatras play. WE have to understand Tanmatras first clearly and their role in creating the other Tatwas.,eg, the five organs of perception.
It can not be just a coincidence that the "Makaaram" M of AUM (Jeevatma) is the 25th letter among the consonants in Sanskrit, denoting the 25th tatwa, namely jeevatma. And, for those who have not reached that level of intellect in Advaita philosophy, to see that Jeevatma and Brahman, are indeed the same, Brahman stands as the 26th Tatwa. Can we again then say that the 26 alphabets in English are not just coincidence?
Pl see paras2.14 to 2.17 in pages 18 and 19 of the text on Vishnusahsaranamam for details. I think we have more things to understand and unfold than we currently know. It is in this context that I addressed you as Gargi Maharushi and Sri, Saideo as Vyasa Bhagwan!
Regards and Respects,
Ramanathan.

For six weeks now, my remarks on Pancheekaranam have remained unanswered. Anybody who could throw more light on it?
Regards and Respects,
Ramanathan.

our political parties and its leaders,our religious schools and its seva dals,the social service organisation of world bodies,all are doing as much as they can,for their own countries interest.in this unless political will to implement,love truth bliss righteousness peace non-violence exists,on a individual basis to carry out any developmental progress will be slow.just like a human body to function normally,our population shud be happy to be all inclusive as a society with diversity taken into consideration.indians are shining like the sun,as there is never a time when the sun rises nor sun sets,as per rig veda.

Well said, Prof. Nachi Naga on one of my arlier postings. But, what about Pancheekaranam? Anybody, who can give a satisfactory explanation of the process and the role of Tanmatras?
Regards and Respects,
Ramanathan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back