• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Visit to Gokarnam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Shri.Kunjappu ji.,

First I was thinking about Gokarna as a place with rituals and sacrifices and to do Prayachchiththa Karmas. Then I posted/ Commented about the Purity / Achchara of the rituals and said that there are not up to our standard. Then I wanted to know the real history of the place and read few books and referred websites.

Finaly I searched the history and found that these poor brahmins in this vicinity needs guidance from Brahmins from Tamil Nadu/ Karnataka. They lived in Muslims care for nearly 1000 years and they didn't educated well since there were wars.

Even the Independence didn't bring them any relief in education and their attention was diverted in earning money money and money alone.

They chant only rudram in the temple and the temple was not following any agamas as in south.

The history I posted is the history of the place, which three thousands years back was a port that exported cotton and silk cloth.

This temple needs attention from us and if any wealthy person can sponsor this temple it will give us a great name.

ramac, thank you for your explanation. much appreciated.

Dear Shri.Kunjappu ji.,

First I was thinking about Gokarna as a place with rituals and sacrifices and to do Prayachchiththa Karmas. Then I posted/ Commented about the Purity / Achchara of the rituals and said that there are not up to our standard. Then I wanted to know the real history of the place and read few books and referred websites.

Finaly I searched the history and found that these poor brahmins in this vicinity needs guidance from Brahmins from Tamil Nadu/ Karnataka. They lived in Muslims care for nearly 1000 years and they didn't educated well since there were wars.

Even the Independence didn't bring them any relief in education and their attention was diverted in earning money money and money alone.

They chant only rudram in the temple and the temple was not following any agamas as in south.

The history I posted is the history of the place, which three thousands years back was a port that exported cotton and silk cloth.

This temple needs attention from us and if any wealthy person can sponsor this temple it will give us a great name.

Dear Sirs,

Please find uploaded an image of a linga belongs to B.C. 1500- 500. I feel the river Gangamma in Gokarna might be having this Linga somewhere near. If they find it in the river bed, the Gokarna temple will be built in the place where it was found!

View attachment Lingam B.C.500.pdf

And to my knowledge these Brahmins are Smarthas who lives in the same way with out following Madwacharya Priniciple of worshipping Lord Krishna or Narayana. They worship only SALIGRAMA!

(Please Down Load the attached doc.

After this this vicinity was ruled by hyder followed by Tippu Sultan.
Tippu was born in Devanahalli (in Karnataka) on Friday, November 20th, 1753

He built a chain of excellent roads, and constructed tanks and dams to promote agriculture. He introduced the new industries, promoted trades and commerce, established factories in Cutch, Masquat, and Jedda, and sent commercial missions to Oman, Persia and Turkey. He invited foreign know-how to build factories to produce glass, mirrors and ship-building. He aimed at making his kingdom the most prosperous state of India. Hence he was also interested in latest scientific research all over the world. He introduced Hindu culture on a large scale, and mulberry cultivation was started at twenty one centers. He encouraged the textile industry by banning the export of cotton. The weavers from Tamilnadu were invited and settled in his kingdom. Growing of sugarcane and producing of sugar and candy were encouraged in Channapatna, Devanhalli and Chikkaballapur. High quality tempered wire required for the string instruments was produced in Channapatna. The livestock development got special attention. Tippu prohibited the production and distribution of liquor and other intoxicants in his state of Mysore.

Tipu to win the war against East India Company preferred to conduct a Homam at Datta Peeta This may be the present Gokarna which is near Sea and near a River Gangamma. The Temple was constructed to attract power from Universe like the one that was utilized for black magic in Kerala. The Temple Gopura has designed and the Flag post here is made of One Single Stone. There is a separate place, where Tipu Sultan sat sat and watched the Japa and Homam conducted by the priests. There is no image in this place except that of Tamra Parvathi.

His Holiness the Jagath Guru Of Sringeri Math, conducted this Sahasra Chandi Japa. (V.Jalaja Sakthidasan, Tippu Sultan A Fanatic, Nithyanadha Jothi Nilayam, Madras 1990.)

But the Japa a Hindu Ritual was opposed by the Muslims. and Tipu lost in the war and was killed by his own men.

I don't want to go in to this matter but of the view that this Gokarna is a place that has a long history.

According to website JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie., the japa was conduted in a place of Datta, and according to the wesite there was a cave mountain that was called Chndra Mountain. But in this place a Sea shore is called Half moon beach, and there is OM beach.

Since this area had a Historical Back ground, the Acharya of Sringeri math, selected this area.
--
Ramachandran
JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

The Tamra Parvathy in Gokarna Temple is none other than the Saradha Devi of Sringeri Sartha Peedam.

The Saradha Peedam Conducted a Sahsra Chandi Homam at the present temple.

The Temple should have Faced east but I think Tippu preferred that it should be faced west for Mecca.

In A.D.1790-91, Tippu sent a letter to Sringeri Math for seeking divine's help in countering some internal fights.

At that time, Sri Saratha peedam was attacked by Marathas and Sri peetam left Sringeri and was on the move. At that time

Sankaracharya was here in this place, the Gokarna in 1791, During that time Tippu donated lands for this temple and you are honoring him with "Salam" at 8.00 P.M. Daily.

The Gopura of Gokarna temple has a Kalasa like a Kerala Thanthric worship and has a Nandhi, the bull on the Flag post which is made with a Single stone.

In each and every letter to Sankaracharya Tippu cried for divine's power to help him in fighting with English.

In 1791-92, Sahasra Chandi Homam was performed at Gokarna.

But It was misguided!

The process of Sahasra Chandi Homam is entirely different from other Homa, a Chakra should be written on a Copper Plate of 9" X 9" and placed in the Homa and this homa should be done in a river bed. After the japa and homa there are more rituals should be followed and it is not like just chant and go!

at the time of completion 11 Rudram and Chamakam one should chant one Manthra Pushpam as it will give result as theyexpect. Secondly see that they play Veena or violine.

Regards

Ramachandran

Sorry for my late reply...

Yes you are absolutely correct. The brahadambal is also known as "Araikasu amman". The reason is during the reign of Pudukottai samasthanam, the image of this ambal will be there in all the coins even in an "Arai kasu" (half rAna coin). So she got the name. Its very true that she is varaprasadhi in getting back our lost items. It does not mean that if we didnt get back, we should blame her. That will be our destiny. But with whole heartedness, we can pray her for lost things and am sure that she will get that back.

Also to my knowledge, people will offer just "Panagam" as a sense of thanks giving.

Pranams

Lingam.jpg
This is a image of a linga dated back B.C.3500 found in Gujarath found in an old book with out any title!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back