• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vishnu and Plate tectonics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vishnu and Plate Tectonics’

There are a number of namas consecrated to Vishnu, eulogizing His power for self protection, self devouring, self creation and self sustenance. These are listed in chapter 7 of my book “The Glory of Vishnsahasranamam” posted in this website, under the Head “Literature”, from pages 53 to 57. All these names praise Him for the way the earth and its life created by Him, have been constantly created, sustained, devoured and recreated by Him again and again, in various periods of Geological history.

Ocean floor surveys undertaken in 1950s found that the mightiest and extensive mountain chains on earth are mostly under water.
Down in the middle of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge is a canyon, a rift, upto 20 km wide for its entire length of about 19000 Kms. In the 1960s, core samples from the ocean floor showed that the ocean floor was quite young at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, but grew progressively older as one moved away from it, both to the east and the west. This could only mean that new ocean crust is being formed at the central ridge and the older ones are being pushed away to either side .In other words, the Atlantic ocean floor is effectively functioning as two large conveyor belts, one carrying the progressively older crust from the centre towards North America and the other towards Europe.

When the oceanic crust reaches the boundary of the continents, it plunges back into the bowels of the earth in a process known as subduction. That is where all the sediments carried by the rivers from the land to the sea go and went and are and were consigned to the bowels of the earth. That explains beautifully why the ocean floors everywhere are so young ( none older than 175 million years) whereas the land in the continental crust is as old as 4.5 billion years. A beautiful illustration of “Atma yoni swayam jataha”.

The earth is made up of a number of smaller and bigger plates, all moving in different directions and at different speeds and their collisions created the present mosaic of the earth which will further change constantly. For details and figures of what the earth looked like a few hundred million years back and what it is likely to look like a few hundred million years from now, please look into the text of the book, pages58 to 61.

And, how about life itself? Bacteria got along for billions of years without us but we can not survive a single day without them. They multiply in an unimaginable way and survive in extreme conditions, in the waste tank of a nuclear reactor, 11000 meters below in the Pacific ocean or in the sealed lens of a camera left behind in the moon. If the world of Atoms stand for what is Vishnu in the domain of physics, the microbes stand for Vishnu in the field of biology, proving many of the names in the namavali. ( For details see again the text of the book, P.62).

While complex life started blooming for the first time in the Cambrian period, the earth has seen several periods of extinction, major and minor. 70 to 95% of life had disappeared each time during these deluges or Pralaya.. What is surprising, however, is , what conditions favoured the survival of the remaining 20 to 25% of the species. For example, while the dinosaurs disappeared without a trace at the end of the Cretaceous period, other species like turtles have survived till date. Same argument applies to many other species and microbes as well. .Yes, He is “ Dharaneedharah” and “Jagatsetavaraha”.The close link gets established! ( Pl. see again book p.62 and 63 for details.)

As if to establish the close link between the earth, Ishwara and oxygen, the word Ishwara gets mentioned eight times in Vishnusahasranamam, either alone or with adjectives,. eight being the atomic number of oxygen.(pl.see P.64)

Having praised the Universe(and, therefore Hydrogen as A in AUM ) in the earlier Namavalis, the current namavalis under review praise the Earth ( and, therefore Oxygen, as U of AUM). Imagine the greatness of Vishnusahasranamam and wait for carbon in the next thread. for M of AUM.

Perhaps, I have concentrated more on Scientific aspects than on spiritual in this post and hence no response.
My question is why should the floor(Sea) spreading and subduction happen only in the sea and not on land?Is this not Maya?
Why should all the dynosaurs die and yet, a few of the species of reptiles like Turtle, lizard etc be left behind to survive and then evolve? Is it not Maya?
Why should all the ammonites die and still nautilus of the same phylum survive?
Has it got anything to do with DNA or any special proteins, which could protect some creatures from total extinction?
Is the God choosy towards some, shall we call them Bhaktas.special, is there any mention in any spiritual scriptures for such provisions? If these are not Maya, what else is Maya, Dr. Renuka, as a reply to your new thread.
Regards and aRespects,
Ramanathan.,

Perhaps, I have concentrated more on Scientific aspects than on spiritual in this post and hence no response.
My question is why should the floor(Sea) spreading and subduction happen only in the sea and not on land?Is this not Maya?
Why should all the dynosaurs die and yet, a few of the species of reptiles like Turtle, lizard etc be left behind to survive and then evolve? Is it not Maya?
Why should all the ammonites die and still nautilus of the same phylum survive?
Has it got anything to do with DNA or any special proteins, which could protect some creatures from total extinction?
Is the God choosy towards some, shall we call them Bhaktas.special, is there any mention in any spiritual scriptures for such provisions? If these are not Maya, what else is Maya, Dr. Renuka, as a reply to your new thread.
Regards and aRespects,
Ramanathan.,

Dear Dr Ramanathan,

I was just discussing with my husband last week about the possible reasons of the extinction of the Dinosaurs.
I was also wondering why I have yet to come across any religous texts which comments or mentioned about Dinosaurs.

Its always about Sura or Asura only..
I have also noted that in religious text...Creation is always mentioned as if Humans,animals,insects,Devas,Asuras,elemental spirits etc were created simultaneously...
But I always wondered it can not be simultaneous because every new creation had no Karma yet...like a clean white cloth yet to be colored...so what decides who is Sura and who is Asura?

May be the Karmic Evolutionary Cycle was not stressed upon....giving us just a rough picture of Creation because our goal is not to get entangled in the Ocean of Samsara but to "Decreate" ourselves....

We owe our modern concept of evolution to the atheist Darwin, who was on a world wide voyage, who was offloaded at different places because of his sea sickness but, fortunately from these places, he collected tons of information on fossils and survival of the fittest and, therefore of the evolution.
My objective is to drive home the point that this concept is already inbuilt in the different Namas of Vishnu in the Sahasranamam.
Regards and Respects.
Ramanathan.

Dr.S.Ramanathan.
I am a little disappointed that this thread has not attracted the attention it deserves. The most classic scientific proof of cyclicity and rebirth is provided by the sea floor spreading and subduction of earth into its own bowels and new born as younger crust of earth in the middleof the sea floor ridges as the Mid Atlantic ridge. This rebirth belief which is unique to Hindu belief is born out by these concrete proofs.
The Amirtha gateswarar of Sirkali or Krishna floating in Alilai are all symbolic of freak survivals, as the nautilus or diatoms. The earth itself is continuously reborn and so the creatures living on it. The greatness of Vishnusahasranamam is that the evidence for this cyclicity is provided in it in the form of a few simple namavalis.
Regards ansd Respects,
Ramanathan.

Dr.S.Ramanathan.
I am a little disappointed that this thread has not attracted the attention it deserves. The most classic scientific proof of cyclicity and rebirth is provided by the sea floor spreading and subduction of earth into its own bowels and new born as younger crust of earth in the middleof the sea floor ridges as the Mid Atlantic ridge. This rebirth belief which is unique to Hindu belief is born out by these concrete proofs.
The Amirtha gateswarar of Sirkali or Krishna floating in Alilai are all symbolic of freak survivals, as the nautilus or diatoms. The earth itself is continuously reborn and so the creatures living on it. The greatness of Vishnusahasranamam is that the evidence for this cyclicity is provided in it in the form of a few simple namavalis.
Regards ansd Respects,
Ramanathan.

Dear Dr RamanathanJi,

I have not really responded much in this thread because my knowledge in tectonic plates are limited and I would not be able to co-relate...therefore I was just waiting for you to add on...
But Dr Rama, so many other things also renew themselves...Human beings are the best example..cellular shedding and turn over...
A snake also sheds its skin from time to time..Sharks keep getting new set of teeth from time to time..
"Change" is the norm of our very existence..
Nature is changing at a macrocosmic level and living organisms change at a microcosmic level

Rebirth is slightly different though...Its not only shedding one's old worn out garment and taking a new one but rather taking on a new garment designed by our Sanchita Karmic baggage.
Only with consciouness(Chit) comes Karma for us Manavas.

Tectonic Plates and Sea floor are only suffused by the all pervading Constant Intergrated Awareness(Prajnanam).....and for all practical purposes Achit...hence they technically change and not really "reborn" because there is no Karma...

renu

Last edited:
Dear all,

I was reading a litte on plate tectonics and came across this link...
It will help to understand the topic started by Dr RamaJi..

Plate Tectonics

Last edited:
Dear Dr. Renuka,
Thank you for your three postings and observations.
I was not able to open the website you have referred "Plate tectonics"
Reg the next site, "Vishnu Schist", it is the name of a rock formation found at the basement in Grand Canyon and nothing to do with Vishnu.
Your own other observations are good about the renewals of various organisms.
But my observations pertain to two namavalis, the 4.5 billion old earth and its sediments are consumed in its own bowels, in a subduction zone (Atmayoni) and is reborn as rock in a central sea floor spreading zone only yesterday or today (Swayam jatah) as a classic example of the philosophy of Cyclic Birth and death, basic to Hindu philosophy, as opposed to the linearity of belief of other faiths. And, while consuming most of the lives as Mahahavi offered, yet some parts are left behind for continuation, evolution and growth into more advanced species. This is unique to Hindu Philosophy and dealt with by a few namavalis in Vishnusahasranama.
Regards and Respects,
Ramanathan.

Dear Dr. Renuka,
Thank you for your three postings and observations.
I was not able to open the website you have referred "Plate tectonics"
Reg the next site, "Vishnu Schist", it is the name of a rock formation found at the basement in Grand Canyon and nothing to do with Vishnu.
Your own other observations are good about the renewals of various organisms.
But my observations pertain to two namavalis, the 4.5 billion old earth and its sediments are consumed in its own bowels, in a subduction zone (Atmayoni) and is reborn as rock in a central sea floor spreading zone only yesterday or today (Swayam jatah) as a classic example of the philosophy of Cyclic Birth and death, basic to Hindu philosophy, as opposed to the linearity of belief of other faiths. And, while consuming most of the lives as Mahahavi offered, yet some parts are left behind for continuation, evolution and growth into more advanced species. This is unique to Hindu Philosophy and dealt with by a few namavalis in Vishnusahasranama.
Regards and Respects,
Ramanathan.

Dear Dr Ramaji,
I can open the link on Plate Tectonics I pasted there...just click on it..i just tried it out again...

Dear sir,I just put the Vishnu Schist just to attract interest ...and there is also a Rama Schist and a Metavolcanic Brahma and Brahma Schist...
I was just suprised to see all this names..

renu

This is yet another technical posting which has not attracted the attention it deserves.Does it mean that explaining spiritual aspects in terms of modern scientific discoveries, has only low acceptance and hence should not be attempted?Or, are the references too technical and not lucid enough for a nongeologist to appreciate? In that case, I shall certainly attempt a more lucid posting, if I get the required feedback.
Regards and Respects,
Ramanathan

I am posting below the entire chapter 7 on plate tectonics. I am sorry I am unable to get the pictures for copying

7.2 Geological History of Earth and the Life on it
Tectonic Plates Comprising the Earth
7.2.1 Plate Tectonics Ocean floor surveys undertaken in the 1950s found that the
mightiest and the most extensive mountain chains on earth are mostly underwater. Starting
from Iceland, if one travels south, one could follow it down the center of the Atlantic ocean
( known as mid Atlantic ridge ) around the bottom of Africa and then across the Indian and
Southern Oceans and into the Pacific, just below Australia. From there, it shoots up to the
West Coast of United States to Alaska. Occasionally, some of its peaks stand above water as
islands like the Canaries in the Atlantic or the Hawaii in the Pacific. When all these
branches are added together, the network of the mountain chain extends to 75000 Kms. In
the Bay of Bengal, we have a similar ridge, known as the 90O E (Longitude) ridge.
Geological facts in support of above.
Theory of Plate Tectonics-mid Atlantic ridge, subduction.
Ocean floors much younger than the land-part.
Ordovician Era – 458 Million Years Ago
Late Permian Era – 255 Million Years Ago
Late Cretaceous Era – 94 Million Years Ago
The world of the Future – 150 Million Years from Now
The world of the Future – 250 Million Years from Now
7.2.2 Down in the middle of the mid-Atlantic Ridge is a Canyon, a rift, upto 20 Kms wide
for its entire length of about 19000 Kms. In the 1960s core samples of the rock from the
ocean floor showed that the ocean floor was quite young at the mid-Atlantic ridge but grew
progressively older as one moved away from it, both to the East and the West. This could
only mean that new ocean crust is being formed on the Central Ridge and the older ones
are being pushed away to either side. In other words, the sea floor is spreading. The
Atlantic ocean floor is effectively functioning as two large conveyor belts, one carrying the
progressively older crust from the centre towards North America and the other towards
Europe.
7.2.3 When the oceanic crust reaches the boundary with the continents, it plunges back
into the bowels of the earth in a process known as subduction. That is where all the
sediments carried by the rivers from the land to the sea went and were consigned to the
bowels of the earth. That explains beautifully why the ocean floors everywhere are so
young, (none older than about 175 million years) whereas the land in the continental crust
is as old as 4.5 billion years. A beautiful illustration of “ Atma Yoni Swayam Jataha” ! It was
realized that the earth was a mosaic of interconnected segments whose various jostlings
accounted for the planet’s surface behavior, like the sub-sea volcanic eruptions,
earthquakes, tsunami, all happening around the junction of two plates in the subduction
zones which are mostly arcuate in shape (archer) and with tremendous amount of sound
(saamagaana). This science is called “plate tectonics”.
7.2.4 The earth’s surface is made up of 8 to 12 big plates and another about 20 smaller
plates and they all move in different directions and at different speeds. It was one such
movement of the Indian plate from Antarctica to the North and East over millions of years
and its collisions with the Asian plate that resulted in the mighty Himalayas. It was the
subduction of the Burmese – Indonesian plate beneath the Indian Ocean which created the
huge earthquake of 2004 and the hugely destructive tsunami that killed thousands in
Indonesia, Andaman Islands, Sri Lanka and the East Coast of mainland India. The
landscape of Andaman Islands has significantly changed in certain parts as a result. Yes, “
Mahahavis” was offered to Him in the subduction zone and he reduced the size of the
world, (Samkshepta) and He was Sangarshana Achyuta- grappled all the objects and
destroyed them while He himself remained unaffected; in this case the sea was unaffected.
The geologists predict that, in a not too distant date from the geological time scale, in about
250 million years from now, the Supercontinent, known as Pangea, which started spreading
and splitting to form different continents from the Permian age to present day, will again
form “Pangea Ultima”, as a result of the subduction of the ocean floor of the North and
South Atlantic beneath Eastern North America and South America. This supercontinent
will have a small ocean basin trapped at its centre (Similar to Caspian sea of present day)
and the Mediterranean sea and Atlantic oceans would have disappeared. Once again, a
scientific evidence of what is likely to happen millions of years hence, for the cyclicity of
Creation, Sustenance and Destruction, the basic concept of Hindu Philosophy.

vishnu tatvam is sustenance of what was destryoed as ignorance aka shiva tatvam to create aka brahma tatvam.then its only nitty gritty of analysis,which puranas have done already,but a minority only is able to decipher it.imho.

Weell said, Sri.Nachi Naga. However, my submission has been that what is now scientifically proved, has been long known in scriptures as has been brought out from Vishnusahasranamam.
Regards and Respects,
Ramanathan.

Weell said, Sri.Nachi Naga. However, my submission has been that what is now scientifically proved, has been long known in scriptures as has been brought out from Vishnusahasranamam.
Regards and Respects,
Ramanathan.

sir dr.sr

maybe i shud buy your book and read it fully,becoz i am certain,a pralayam occurred in India alongwith a technology of spirituality was destroyrd by nature,during lord krishna avataram.subsequently,we are witnessing lord dattatreyar's avataram aka lord brahma goddess saraswathy's avataram.of course there are people who dispute my vision,which is natural too.

our yuga cycles coincides with shiva puranam as well as vishnu puranam.without the trinity's grace,moksham is virtually a uphill task,imo.but lord vishnu is my kula deivam and the easiest and simplest method to attain him is thru lord shiva's grace,so i chant the pancha akshara mantram.that's it lord vishnu & goddess maha lakshmi's grace is in abundance in my heart,thank you sir,for your scientific as well as spiritually enlightening,write ups.

There are evidences of a major transgression in Dwaraka and other places in the West Coast roughly coinciding with the age given for the beginning of Kaliyuga. There are fossil evidences from off the Bombay Coast that the sea has transgressed by as much as 80 meters. I had posted the details in an earlier posting in this forum.
Regards and Respects,
Ramanathan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back