• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vibhuti (Sacred ash)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although not from a orthodox family, i have heard my father instruct my brother after his upanayanam.

1) Brahmacharis should apply dry vibhuti in morning and afternoon and only in the evening, it is wet vibhuti

2) Married people should apply wet vibhuti only , at all times.

water has energy. brahmacharis have energy. evening is asuras time. so energy is minimum.
so evening we apply with water for energized vibhuti.

married people have family life. so they need energy all the time. hence wet vibhuti all three times.

My father gets vibhuti from a Ghanapati once in a year. It is fully grey.

On sundays, when my younger brother had to be trained, sometimes i would read from the book on yajurveda sandhyavandanam.
first pranayanamam, then sankalpam for sharira shuddhi, then with vedic mantra even during mixing with water and even while applying , the vedic mantra " manas thoke thanayae... "
first apply vibhuti on uchchi top of head, then fore-head, then spot on neck behind ( nape of the neck ) ... ( ghosts scare and the fluid in the nape of the neck melts and the ghost enters from there and controls the mind. so to protect that spot, vibhuti is applied at the nape of the neck ) ... and then right and left of the waist, then the hand ( not on the joints as some do, that is wrong )...and then the thighs, then above the knee cap, then below the knee cap, then above the ankles and then the spot that is before the toes on the feet...

this is how it is given in that book and the ghanapati told my brother and my father. i have read to my brother that.

Regds
Harini

Although not from a orthodox family, i have heard my father instruct my brother after his upanayanam.

1) Brahmacharis should apply dry vibhuti in morning and afternoon and only in the evening, it is wet vibhuti

water has energy. brahmacharis have energy. evening is asuras time. so energy is minimum.

married people have family life. so they need energy all the time. hence wet vibhuti all three times.

On sundays, when my younger brother had to be trained, sometimes i would read from the book on yajurveda sandhyavandanam.
first pranayanamam, then sankalpam for sharira shuddhi, then with vedic mantra even during mixing with water and even while applying , the vedic mantra " manas thoke thanayae... "
first apply vibhuti on uchchi top of head, then fore-head, then spot on neck behind ( nape of the neck ) ... ( ghosts scare and the fluid in the nape of the neck melts and the ghost enters from there and controls the mind. so to protect that spot, vibhuti is applied at the nape of the neck ) ... and then right and left of the waist, then the hand ( not on the joints as some do, that is wrong )...and then the thighs, then above the knee cap, then below the knee cap, then above the ankles and then the spot that is before the toes on the feet...

this is how it is given in that book and the ghanapati told my brother and my father. i have read to my brother that.

Regds
Harini

Nice You have rightly put it. I too have a book describing all these details.
Vibhuthi purchased from the shop should be kept separate and the Vibhuthi collected
from the temple should be separate and both should not be mixed.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Regds
Harini

Regds
Harini

Dear Harini,

Very informative post.
Thank you very much cos at least now we know the significance behind every step we take.

working from home today... been up all night working on a report...
feeling drowsy...but let me add these here.

Again, yes, my dear appa and chella paati's words.
After vibhooti, there are five lines read with hand-action done. my father does it and i see him doing that everyday.

source of rainbow is white light. for all colours, white is the base colour.
ash is the last stage. beyond that, ash cannot become anything else.
milk becomes curd. curd cannot become anything else. that curd is final. brahmins add curd-rice mainly with that under-lying concept. god is final. beyond him, this changing world cannot lead us to anything else.

for the vibhuti, the mantra meaning is

1. agni one day becomes ash ( reaches a non-convertible stage ) ( agni ithi bhasmaha )
2. vayu one day becomes ash ( reaches a non-convertible stage ) ( vayur ithi bhasmaha )
3. jalam ( water ) one day becomes ash ( reaches a non-convertible stage ) ( jalam ithi bhasmaha )
4. sthalam ( earth ) one day becomes ash ( reaches a non-convertible stage ) ( sthalam ithi bhasmaha )
5. vyoma ( ether ) ( akasa ) one day becomes ash ( reaches a non-convertible stage ) ( vyomethi bhasmaha )

sarvagum hava idam bhasmaha ( everything becomes ash )

manas yetani chakshu gumshi bhasmani ( The THINKING MIND too one day becomes ash )

*** after maha pralayam, all planets one day merge into the sun...the sun, along with other galaxies merge into lord brahma, lord brahma merges into lord Maha Vishnu and lord Maha Vishnu merges into Lord Shiva.

Lord Shiva stands ALONE and finally he withdraws himself into his formless existence, till he brings the world out again ***

there is no problem that lord shiva cannot solve and especially lord murugan.

ancient tamil proverb " sukkukku minjina marundhum illai , subrahmanyanukku minjina kadavalum illai "

lord murugan is the HIGHEST EXPRESSION of Lord SHIVA.

with other gods, you can take some Lenience, but with Lord Murugan, you should be very pure and neat and clean.

since lord murugan is the FULLY MALE god, born of the WISDOM EYE, third eye of the PARAMATMA lord SHANKARA

Regds
Harini

post 77#
dear Harini iyer !
very nice &informative post . it reminds me the words repaeatedly told by my grand ma that Brahmachari is sadha suththi and simply applying vibhuthi is equvalent to taking bath .but it is not applicable to samsari since he has to perform many task to his whole family which needs water for purification and hence wet vibhuthi .
i also feel how lucky you are to recite the mantras to your brother and well informed .we utilise our sisters only to take arathi !!
guruvayurappan

After vibhooti, there are five lines read with hand-action done. my father does it and i see him doing that everyday.

milk becomes curd. curd cannot become anything else. that curd is final. brahmins add curd-rice mainly with that under-lying concept. god is final. beyond him, this changing world cannot lead us to anything else.

1. agni one day becomes ash ( reaches a non-convertible stage ) ( agni ithi bhasmaha )
2. vayu one day becomes ash ( reaches a non-convertible stage ) ( vayur ithi bhasmaha )
3. jalam ( water ) one day becomes ash ( reaches a non-convertible stage ) ( jalam ithi bhasmaha )
4. sthalam ( earth ) one day becomes ash ( reaches a non-convertible stage ) ( sthalam ithi bhasmaha )
5. vyoma ( ether ) ( akasa ) one day becomes ash ( reaches a non-convertible stage ) ( vyomethi bhasmaha )

manas yetani chakshu gumshi bhasmani ( The THINKING MIND too one day becomes ash )

*** after maha pralayam, all planets one day merge into the sun...the sun, along with other galaxies merge into lord brahma, lord brahma merges into lord Maha Vishnu and lord Maha Vishnu merges into Lord Shiva.

Lord Shiva stands ALONE and finally he withdraws himself into his formless existence, till he brings the world out again ***

ancient tamil proverb " sukkukku minjina marundhum illai , subrahmanyanukku minjina kadavalum illai "

with other gods, you can take some Lenience, but with Lord Murugan, you should be very pure and neat and clean.

since lord murugan is the FULLY MALE god, born of the WISDOM EYE, third eye of the PARAMATMA lord SHANKARA

Regds
Harini

Dear Harini,

Once again excellent informative post.

Thank you very very much for detail explanation.

God bless you.. at such young age you have great knowledge and wisdom.

Regds
Harini

:thumb:

Who is the lucky guy??!!??

Kindly introduce him to all of us here... :)

More than the Guy, I am Lucky. In our home, we follow the moola mantras of Sri Vidya Upasana.
He practises all the Six Methods of Worship.
He has authored a book on technology and also on the Vedanta.
He is 35 and I am 27
He is a Divorcee and I am not ( His Ex's Loss is my Gain . what else to say ? )

My father jokingly summed it up

" I agree I often said " My daughter will marry only that person who is a Cat in Life ... But I never thought one fine day, my daughter will bring home a TIGER ( Big Cat ) " ... :)

:) :)

More than the Guy, I am Lucky. In our home, we follow the moola mantras of Sri Vidya Upasana.
He practises all the Six Methods of Worship.
He has authored a book on technology and also on the Vedanta.
He is 35 and I am 27
He is a Divorcee and I am not ( His Ex's Loss is my Gain . what else to say ? )

My father jokingly summed it up

" I agree I often said " My daughter will marry only that person who is a Cat in Life ... But I never thought one fine day, my daughter will bring home a TIGER ( Big Cat ) " ... :)

:) :)

Thank you for your beautiful and honest reply... :)

In Tamil, we call it Thiruneeru. Neeru - It eliminates all bad evils.
Vibhuthi - Highest undestroyable wealth, Charam - It cleans all the dirts of lives
Rakshai - It guards the body as the Kavacham Pachitham - It removes ignorance and begets Gnanam
Pasumam - All the sins are made to pasmam. Some people call it as Venneeru, Thiruchambal,
Panchaakkaram and Punniya Chanthu, etc. In fact, Vibhuthi is classified as follows :
Karpam - Made from Fair Diseaseless calf's cowdung chanting the Mantras
Anukarpam - Dried Cowdung picked from the forest and garden duly chanting Mantras
Upakarpam - Cowdung Picked up from the Go-Shala and made at home
Besides the above, there is one more which is Akarpam. This, it is said that which is made
from the soil due to the fall of Idi on account of Thunder and Lightning. Above all this,
some books mention that Vibhuthi is naturally available in places like Thiruneerrumalai,
Thiruvannamali, Thirukurukkai, Vaitheeswaran Koil. It is said that these too form part
of Akarpam.
Further, Burning the dries barks of Arasu, Aal, Aathi, etc Vibhuthi is made. However,
the Vibhuthi made from Cowdung only is superior due to medicinal point of view.
Sekkizhar Swamigal about Cowdung has a quote - Pasu or Cow - Origin of Vibhuthi
is only Cowdung and it has to be only from Cow Cowdung. Because, as we all know
Cow is nothing but Kamdhenu where so many dieties enshrine. If we go through the
ancient history, Cowdung has been used two thousands years before as an insect
cleaner or eliminator. This has been accepted scientifically also. Cowdung does not
give a bad small, but it removes other bad smells. So to make a place holy, cow dung
is used in the yester years. In fact, to heal some type of wounds, Cowdung is applied.
It can also be used to control the Poisonous effect. In olden days, we would have
seen, in brass vessels, Lead is applied i.e. EEyam Poosuthal. Lead has chemical
ingredients. In order to clean that, Cowdung water is stored in it for sometime so
as to eliminate the poisonous chemical ingredients. There is a nut known as Nerwalam.
In Siddha medicine, the nut is kept in the Cowdung water for 3 days and then it is
added to the medicine. Cowdung is mixed in water and sprayed over the places
at the entrance of the house daily in the morning. This has a special significance.
In some houses, even to clean the house, cowdung mixed water is used. Cowdung
has some speciality. It prohibits the insects entering the house and it also destroys
them. One can enjoy a nice smell, when a breeze move over that area besides
it gives a Shoba to the entrance of its house. I am stopping it, because the thread
will be very lengthy.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back