• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vedas 111 - Inviting "Deva Agni" by chanting Veda Mantras for Agni - 15 July 2021

R. Narayanaswami

Vedas 111 – Inviting “Deva Agni” by chanting Veda Mantras for Agni

In these series of posts on the Vedas already posted (10 posts, the first 3 posts on Power and Meaning of Veda mantras and the fourth onwards numbered with “Vedas 104 thru Vedas 110”), I had attempted to provide the key steps to understand the spirituality and the wisdom in the Vedas. Now that the readers would have read and understood all these 10 (ten) posts, the immediate question(s) in their minds, like, “what next?”, “how to get started with Veda learning?” and a host of other questions need to be addressed. No definitive answers to those questions are attempted but a few suggestions are offered in this concluding post “Vedas 111” with a discussion on inviting Agni to begin the Veda practice using the Agni Mantras of the 1st Sukta (out of total 1028 Suktas) of the first Mandala (out of 10 Mandalas) of Rig Veda.

First and foremost, please try to discard the negative messaging of the Vedas as ritualistic and devoid of wisdom.

Next, please note that the Veda Samhitas are spiritual documents that show/provide a path to the inner life for all human beings to perform their karmas both professional and sacred karmas with increasing levels of perfection and to attain Immortality.

Next, please believe in the Vedas and start the study of Veda Mantras. After few years of study and practice, verify whether your belief was proven correct or not. If you found that the Vedic study and practice did not provide significant improvements to you, you always have the right and freedom to walk away from it all. The start of this effort however must be on firm belief, not doubting whether it will work or not. Our Rishis of the Vedas and countless others (in the thousands or tens of thousands or even in millions) have believed and became successful by the study and practice of the Vedas. The belief is required only as part of beginning of the Vedic study, just like the belief is needed in a treatment protocol for a difficult disease or in the successful outcome of a new venture that one begins etc. In the same manner, one must begin Vedic study with firm belief in the Vedas. Very soon, one will be able to start experiencing the presence of supra-physical beings aiding him/her as and when needed at which time the belief drops out and one becomes the experiencer. Once they become the experiencers, they will not let go of the Vedic practice.

Aspiration and will-power are necessary for human beings to succeed in completing their tasks. The “human will-power”, which can look at best on the present options before taking the decision, is only a weak alternative to the “divine will-power” which looks at the future as well and decides the best steps to be executed presently. Therefore, all seekers must try to raise their “human will power” to the levels of “divine will-power”. Deva Agni is the possessor of the psychological power of divine will-power, the “kavi-kratu”, as stated in RV (1.1.5). Hence all SD followers seeking to raise their will power to the levels of ‘divine will power’ begin their Veda practice by chanting Veda Mantras for ‘deva Agni’. Agni helps the seeker in other ways as well, prominent among those ways is the help to invite other “devas” as needed for the seeker to progress in the spiritualization of life as the seeker pursues the professional karma of his/her choice. For all these reasons, those SD followers interested to practice the Vedas are encouraged to begin the chanting of these 9 mantras shown herein for deva Agni. No guarantee of success is provided by the writer of these posts to the SD followers who follow and implement these suggestions. These suggestions are offered based on the writer’s study and understanding of the Vedas and its teachings and what our Acharyas (teachers and Gurus) have discussed in their scholarly writings. Success in any venture, as is well known to all, depends on multitude of factors. All those factors must be favorably disposed for the venture to succeed. The writer offers his best wishes for success in their Veda practices and for deva Agni to accept the invitation of the SD follower who chants these mantras to plant an emanation of Agni’s powers in them.

RV 1.1.1: Leads the Yajña
Mantra: a̱gnimī̍ḻe pu̱rohi̍taṁ (1), ya̱jñasya̍ de̱vam ṛ̱tvija̍m (2), hotā̍raṁ (3), ratna̱dhāta̍mam (4)
Meaning: Agni, I adore, placed in front (1), the god of yajña, ṛtvik or one who has the ecstasy of Truth (2).
He, the summoning priest (3), activates (in human beings) the dormant ecstasies excellently (4).

RV 1.1.2: Ancient and Modern Seers
Mantra: a̱gniḥ pūrve̍bhi̱rṛṣi̍bhi̱ḥ īḍayo̱ (1), nūta̍naiḥ u̱ta (2), sa de̱vā eha va̍kṣati (3)
Meaning: Agni, adored by the ancient seers (1), is adored by the new sages too (2). He brings the gods here (3).

RV 1.1.3: Endows Inner Plenitude
Mantra: a̱gninā̍ ra̱yima̍śnava̱t (1), poṣa̍me̱va di̱vedi̍ve (2), ya̱śasaṁ̍ vī̱rava̍ttamam (3)
Meaning: By Agni one enjoys an inner plenitude (1), that increases day by day (2). It is glorious and full of hero-power (3).

RV 1.1.4: Yajña as a Journey
Mantra: agne̱ yaṁ ya̱jñama̍dhva̱raṁ (1), vi̱śvata̍ḥ pari̱bhūrasi̍ (2), sa idde̱veṣu̍ gacchati (3)
Meaning: O Agni, the yajña-pilgrimage (1), that is surrounded by you on all sides (2), that alone reaches the gods (3).

RV 1.1.5: Agni is Seer-will
Mantra: a̱gnirhotā̍ ka̱vikra̍tuḥ sa̱tyaḥ (1) ci̱traśra̍vastamaḥ (2) de̱vo de̱vebhi̱ḥ āga̍mat (3)
Meaning: Agni, the summoning priest, the Seer-will, a god, is the Truth (1); he has the power of granting super-normal powers of audition to the aspirant (2). May he come with the gods (3).

RV 1.1.6: The Truth of Agni
Mantra: yada̱ṅga dā̱śuṣe̱ tvamagne̍ (1), bha̱draṁ ka̍ri̱ṣyasi̍ (2), tavet tat sa̱tyama̍ṅgiraḥ (3)
Meaning: The auspicious happiness (bhadra) you shall create (2), for the giver, O Dear Agni (1), that is the truth of you alone, O Añgiras (3).

RV 1.1.7: Obeisance by Thought
Mantra: upa̍ tvāgne di̱vedi̍ve̱ doṣā̍vastaḥ (1), dhi̱yā va̱yam namo̱ bhara̍nta (2), ema̍si (3)
Meaning: O Agni, day by day, in the night and in the light (1), we approach you (3), carrying our obeisance (nama) by our thought (dhiya) (2).

RV 1.1.8: Agni´s Own Home
Mantra: rāja̍ntam adhva̱rāṇāṁ̍ (1), go̱pām ṛ̱tasya̱ dīdi̍vim (2), vardhamāna̱ṁ sve dame̍ (3)
Meaning: Agni reigns over pilgrim-yajña-s (1), he is the luminous guardian of Truth (2). His power of manifestation is increasing in his own home (3).

RV 1.1.9: Agni as Father
Mantra: sa na̍ḥ pi̱teva̍ sū̱nave (1), agne̍ sūpāya̱no bha̍va (2), saca̍svā naḥ sva̱staye̍ (3)
Meaning: As a father onto his son (1), be of easy access to us, O Agni (2). Cling to us so that we can maintain our happy state (3)

Nice..thank you for your post Sir.

Btw does the initial firm belief "drop" after one becomes the experiencer?
Or does the initial belief remains the foundation but having become the experiencer one is not attached to it( belief) anymore.

Going by logic once anything has been formed even if it's a thought process like an initial belief in Vedas,its still very much a thought wave form of subtle frequencies which would not be deleted or dropped but rather be transformed into another form or it can remain as an imprint but we dont get attached to it anymore.

Just to add, when chanting is done at allotted timings, no matter what the chant is be it from the Gita or Sahasranamams or any other text..one notices there is increase in body core temperature which does go up from the baseline body temperature.

Before chanting for eg 36.5C..after chanting 37.2C.
The body then naturally prefers warm drinks only as to maintain this higher core temperature post chanting.

I have experimented this on myself and another person.
Also SP02 is constantly 99% and pulse rate becomes lower and blood pressure recordings too decrease post chanting...chanting done anytime between 4am and 5am showed the most changes.

The chantings did not invoke Agni as a deva but the effects of Agni were felt and recorded.

So is it only invoking Agni as a deva or any chanting done with Eka gratha invokes Agni by default?

Last edited:
Thanks for both emails.

First off, I thank you for your kind words about this post.

The belief is needed only until one starts to experience. Then he/she becomes the experiencer and the belief drops off etc. Whatever is in the mind will remain there, only thing that will not be the thing you will think of but only the 'better of many feelings on has on that topic. In other words, one will not think of the "belief" whenever he/she thinks of the Vedas and the devas, but only be thinking of the experience. In that sense, the belief is somewhere in the mind but has gone behind.

Reg the second email, please read the first 2 posts on: Power of the Veda Mantra and the Meaning of the Veda Mantra. While all prayers including BG and Sahsranama have their powers and effects, Veda Mantras have a unique place, they are 'shruthi' and not 'smrithi' (as BG & Sahasranama etc.). I encourage you to encourage lerning and chanting Veda Mantras.

I prefer to leave it her. Hope this helps.

Thanks for both emails.

First off, I thank you for your kind words about this post.

The belief is needed only until one starts to experience. Then he/she becomes the experiencer and the belief drops off etc. Whatever is in the mind will remain there, only thing that will not be the thing you will think of but only the 'better of many feelings on has on that topic. In other words, one will not think of the "belief" whenever he/she thinks of the Vedas and the devas, but only be thinking of the experience. In that sense, the belief is somewhere in the mind but has gone behind.

Reg the second email, please read the first 2 posts on: Power of the Veda Mantra and the Meaning of the Veda Mantra. While all prayers including BG and Sahsranama have their powers and effects, Veda Mantras have a unique place, they are 'shruthi' and not 'smrithi' (as BG & Sahasranama etc.). I encourage you to encourage lerning and chanting Veda Mantras.

I prefer to leave it her. Hope this helps.
Thanks..I do read up on Veda mantras as part as keeping up my Sanskrit knowledge but I don't chant it as I do understand this needs a Guru for initiation and there could be some issues cos not all Gurus admit those who dont match the Varna requirement or at times the gender requirement..but anyway I can always read it out of an academic interest.

Latest ads

Back