• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

'VAthApi Ganapathym Bajeham'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namassadhasae.

AgajAna padhmarkkam gajAnanam harnisam
Aneka dhum thum bhakthanAm
Eka dhantham upAsmahae.

Meaning of the above verse:

The face of Malaimagal (agajA Ananam= Parvthy)) gets mandhahasam, similar to Lotus on seeing sun.
He gives various wealth ( aneka dhum thum - what not?) to his bhakthas – I prey the eka dhanthar (having one dhantham).
Worship of Ganapathy in Tamilnadu, historically started with Vathapi Ganapathy. This Ganapathy is in Uthara Pasupatheeswar temple in
Tiruvarur District, Thiruchchenkattangui. (The same is the place where one famous nayanmar ‘Siru thondar (Paranjothi)’, who went to the extent of sacrificing his own son in the form of kurru to a sivan adiyAr, as a result of Lord Siva’s test. )
History of the sthalam:
Gajamukhan, who was an Asuran with elephant face was doing cruelty to Devas. On the request of Devas, Lord Siva sent Ganapathy to kill him. Hence he got dosham and to wipe off this dosham, he did penance and Lord Siva removed his dosham. As requestd by Ganapathy, Lord Siva took the shape of a lingam (swayambu lingam) and got the name ‘Ganapatheeswarar’. This sthalam has reordings by Thiru Gnanasambandar & Thirunavukkarasar. Arungirinathar also has recorded one of the longest thiruppugazh for this sthalam. This temple is under the control of VeLakkurichi Adheena matam.
Vathapi Ganapathy:
Paranjothi one time had gone to north fror a war and conquered Chalukkiya raja Pulikesi and he brought to Tamilnadu a Ganapathy statue, as a symbol of this victory. He placed the statue in this sthaam. It is strange that this Pillayar is lean with only very little stomache. The event of Pillayar’s dosha nivarthi is celebrated on Magazhi Masa Sadhaya Nakshathram. Vinayar Chathurthi day is specially celebrated here.
Paranjothi became ‘Siru Thondar’:
To test the bhakthi of Paranjithi, Lord Siva himself. Came as one of Siva Bhakthars to the residence of Paranjithi, who had a practice of daily feeding one siva bhakthar before his food. On a day when Pranjothi could not get a siva bhakthar. After lot of persuassion, the sanyasi agreed to take food at his residence, but on a condition that Paranjothi’s son Seeralan’s kari should be served to him. Without any hesitation, Paranjothi agreed and did so. After this test, lord siva appeared as Somaskandan (with Parvathi & Murugan) to show he is a gruhasthan and gave lifteto his son seeralan an gave Paranjothi, the tile ‘Siruthondar’ and gave him the status of nayanmAr.
Ambal sannidhi outside the temple:
One time, one Ambal Bhakthai, who was pregnant, had the pain, when her mother was out of station. That time, ambal herself looked after the pregnant day to take care of the event. When Ambikai returned, the temple was locked outside. Hence this Ambal stayed outside the temple. On this basis, Ambal’s sannidhi is still outside the temple. This Ambal’s name is ‘SoolikAmbal’. The word ‘sool’ means ‘karu’. It is believed that pregnant ladies if they pray this Ambal, they will get sugaprasavam. In the night kala poojai (arthajamam) , nivedhyam for this ambal is dosai with the ingredients, SambA rice, pepper,cumin seeds (jeeragam) , salt, ghee.
Dheekshithar’s krithi ‘vathapathy Ganapathim bhajeham :
Dheekshithar’s above famous krithi is in praise of this vapthapi ganapathi. He has made his mudhirai ‘Guruguga’ in this keerthanai.
13 KMs from Tiruvarur will take to Sannanallur. From Sannanallur 11 KM to Thiruppugalur and then 3 km will take you to this Thiruchenkattangudi.
Other sthalams very near this place (within 3 kms) :
Thirunavukkarasar got mukthi - Thiruppugalur;
A mappilai who expired due to snake bite was given life by Gnanasambandar – Thirumarugal;
Ramanatheeswarar temple famous worshipped by Lord Rama;
One of the 108 divya kshetrams ‘ThirukkaNNapuram’ Souriraja Perumal temple.

"அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!"
_ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

Last edited:
Vaathapi Ganapathi

Sir GS

Vaathapi Ganapathi mentioned in Muthusamy Dikshidar Keerthanai is at Thiragaraja Temple at Tiruvarur. (At the left hand side at the entrance of Vanmiganathar/Thiragaraja Swami sannidhi)

It is believed that Rishi Agasthiar has personally worshiped this Ganapathi idol and installed it at Thiagarajaswamy temple.

It is believed Muthuswami Dikshidar has composed songs on Goddess Kamalambika and Vaathapi Ganapathi at Tiruvarur.

Paramacharyal has written about this Ganapathi and Agasthiar story in his book about Vinayagar. I am having a copy of the book which I shall give you next time when we meet.

Some information about Vaathapi Ganapathi is available in the following website

Divya Darisanam: Saptha Vidanga Sthalams / Temples - Thiruvarur [Thanjavur]

Please correct me if I am wrong.

All the best

Namassadhasae.

Shri RVR ji;

Thank you for correcting me. I went through the link. I believe all the other information posted by me are correct.

_ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

Namassadhasae.

The birth place of Late Dhandapani Desikar, a veteran in Tamizh Isai movement, is this sthalam. On his centenary day function, a souvenir in Tamizh was released - titled 'isai eadu'. My mentioning about vathabi ganapathy installed by Paranjothi in this temple, sAba vimochanam of ganapathy in this kshetram, Amman shrine outside the temple, Swayambu lingam stayed in this kshetram on the request of pillaiyar etc. all mentioned in this souvenir. My work was to compile the article, translate it and posted it with suitable paragraphs and headings. Only the point about dheekshitar's kruthi on this pillaiyar, thanks to Shri RVji, got enightened by me now and I stand corrected. I reaffirm that all the other mentionings in my above posting are based on facts.

Still the fact remains (it can easily be construed) that vathabi ganapathy idol was first brought by Paranjothi and installed here (introduced to Tamilnadu) and the dheekshitar's kriti, though composed in Tiruvarur, is in praise of this vathabi ganapathy. However, I thank Shri RVji, for introducing the excellent informative web link pls. We both belong to Tiruvarur District and we have special interest in kshetrams in Mayuram,Kumbakonam, Tiruvarur belt. Thanks all.

_ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

I think Thiruppugalur, Thirukkannapuram and Thirumarugal are all situated in the Nannilam -Karaikkal route.

Thanks for wonderful information about the ancient temples in our native area - Sri GS ji

All the best

Vaathapi Ganapathi at Tiruvarur District

I went through relevant pages of Vaathapi Ganapathi at Tiruchenkatankudi and Tiruvarur.

Paramacharyal confirms what you have written about Tiruchnkatankudi. The place is also called `Ganapatheeswaram'.

Regarding Vaathapi Ganapathi at Tiruvarur, the story is like this. There were two Asura brothers during Agastiar period namely Vaathapi and Ilvalan. They adopted tricks to kill rishis of those days. Vaathapi will take the form of vegetables, get cooked and served to rishis. After the intake of the food, the other Asura will call him. The Asura who went inside the stomach of the Rishi, will break the stomach killing the Rishi and come out. Both will eat the Rishi subsequently.

The Asuras tried to practice the same trick with Agasthiar. Vaathapi went inside Agasthiar stomach. Agasthiar learnt this through the blessings of Lord Ganapathi and said Vaathapi Jeerano bhava. Vaathapi could not come out & got digested. Agasthiar killed the other Asura also through a Dharbai Astram. Since this Ganapathi was responsible for destruction of Asura Vaathapi, he named Him as Vaathapi Ganapathi and installed it at Thiagarajaswami Temple at Tiruvarur. Muthuswami Dikshidar's song `Vaathapi Ganapathim' is on this Lord Ganapathi only.

Paramacharyal stresses that even though we call Lord Muruga as `Tamil Kadavul', his elder brother Lord Vinayaga also played important role for development of Tamil right from Rishi Agasthiar period.

All the best

Last edited:
Namassadhasae.

Shri RVji:

Thanks for your valued posting. Though I already have read the famous Agasthiyar story about the jeeranam of vathapi in his stomach, the part played by Thiruvarur Pillaiyar in this story, dheekshitar's kruti on this Pillayaris, paramcharya's views on pillayar, all are new information to me. Thanks for the enlightenment pls.

"அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!" _ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

Ganapathi worhsip in Tamilnadu

Namassadhasae.

AgajAna padhmarkkam gajAnanam harnisam
Aneka dhum thum bhakthanAm
Eka dhantham upAsmahae.

Meaning of the above verse:

The face of Malaimagal (agajA Ananam= Parvthy)) gets mandhahasam, similar to Lotus on seeing sun.
He gives various wealth ( aneka dhum thum - what not?) to his bhakthas – I prey the eka dhanthar (having one dhantham).
Worship of Ganapathy in Tamilnadu, historically started with Vathapi Ganapathy. This Ganapathy is in Uthara Pasupatheeswar temple in
Tiruvarur District, Thiruchchenkattangui. (The same is the place where one famous nayanmar ‘Siru thondar (Paranjothi)’, who went to the extent of sacrificing his own son in the form of kurru to a sivan adiyAr, as a result of Lord Siva’s test. )
History of the sthalam:
Gajamukhan, who was an Asuran with elephant face was doing cruelty to Devas. On the request of Devas, Lord Siva sent Ganapathy to kill him. Hence he got dosham and to wipe off this dosham, he did penance and Lord Siva removed his dosham. As requestd by Ganapathy, Lord Siva took the shape of a lingam (swayambu lingam) and got the name ‘Ganapatheeswarar’. This sthalam has reordings by Thiru Gnanasambandar & Thirunavukkarasar. Arungirinathar also has recorded one of the longest thiruppugazh for this sthalam. This temple is under the control of VeLakkurichi Adheena matam.
Vathapi Ganapathy:
Paranjothi one time had gone to north fror a war and conquered Chalukkiya raja Pulikesi and he brought to Tamilnadu a Ganapathy statue, as a symbol of this victory. He placed the statue in this sthaam. It is strange that this Pillayar is lean with only very little stomache. The event of Pillayar’s dosha nivarthi is celebrated on Magazhi Masa Sadhaya Nakshathram. Vinayar Chathurthi day is specially celebrated here.
Paranjothi became ‘Siru Thondar’:
To test the bhakthi of Paranjithi, Lord Siva himself. Came as one of Siva Bhakthars to the residence of Paranjithi, who had a practice of daily feeding one siva bhakthar before his food. On a day when Pranjothi could not get a siva bhakthar. After lot of persuassion, the sanyasi agreed to take food at his residence, but on a condition that Paranjothi’s son Seeralan’s kari should be served to him. Without any hesitation, Paranjothi agreed and did so. After this test, lord siva appeared as Somaskandan (with Parvathi & Murugan) to show he is a gruhasthan and gave lifteto his son seeralan an gave Paranjothi, the tile ‘Siruthondar’ and gave him the status of nayanmAr.
Ambal sannidhi outside the temple:
One time, one Ambal Bhakthai, who was pregnant, had the pain, when her mother was out of station. That time, ambal herself looked after the pregnant day to take care of the event. When Ambikai returned, the temple was locked outside. Hence this Ambal stayed outside the temple. On this basis, Ambal’s sannidhi is still outside the temple. This Ambal’s name is ‘SoolikAmbal’. The word ‘sool’ means ‘karu’. It is believed that pregnant ladies if they pray this Ambal, they will get sugaprasavam. In the night kala poojai (arthajamam) , nivedhyam for this ambal is dosai with the ingredients, SambA rice, pepper,cumin seeds (jeeragam) , salt, ghee.
Dheekshithar’s krithi ‘vathapathy Ganapathim bhajeham :
Dheekshithar’s above famous krithi is in praise of this vapthapi ganapathi. He has made his mudhirai ‘Guruguga’ in this keerthanai.
13 KMs from Tiruvarur will take to Sannanallur. From Sannanallur 11 KM to Thiruppugalur and then 3 km will take you to this Thiruchenkattangudi.
Other sthalams very near this place (within 3 kms) :
Thirunavukkarasar got mukthi - Thiruppugalur;
A mappilai who expired due to snake bite was given life by Gnanasambandar – Thirumarugal;
Ramanatheeswarar temple famous worshipped by Lord Rama;
One of the 108 divya kshetrams ‘ThirukkaNNapuram’ Souriraja Perumal temple.

_ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

Dear Sir,
I do not subscribe to the view that Ganapathi worship started after Vatapi Ganapathi was brought by Parmjyothi for the simple reason that there are so many legends which prove otherwise.
For instance ,Accharupakkam is a sthalam near Chenglepet where Lord Shiva had the axle of His ratha broken during Tripura samharam as a result of not worshipping Ganapathi. The name itself signifies Acchu aru pakkamThis had been mentioned by Kanchi Mahaperiyava and also we have Tiruvalmchuzhi near Kumbakonam where the Sveta Vinayaka wa supposed to have been consecreted when Devas and Asuras churnded the Milk ocean for Amritham and had obstacles.

As Asthikas we cannot dismiss those as mere imagination.

Dear Suvarchas,

You are clear. The worship of shri ganesha is not new for us. It was there even before the days of paranjothi. One simple reason is, since paranjothi has a faith in ganesha only he took that idol over here. It means he knows him already na. But the thing is worship of shri ganesha as "Valampuri" is not familiar in south, though two-three exceptions were there even at that time (Thiruvalanchuzhi for example). So, only after this vadhapi ganapathi's arrival, this sort of valampuri ganapthi worship get familiarized.

I want to get clarification for one thing. This sthalam itself is known as "Ganapatheeswaram" swami's name is "Ganapatheeswarar". Ganapathi worshipped this shiva to get rid of the dosha. So, there should be actually a ganesha in the temple, who is older than this vadhapi ganapathi. Am sure that the period of gajamukasura is older than paranjodhi (???). Even if you see in that temple, you can clearly observe the shrine of shri vathapi ganapathi is an insertion at later days (like that of shri sankaranarayana shrine in sankarankoil). Somehow, this vadhapi ganapthi acquired fame by his name and am sure he is not the same "Kshetra ganapathi" of thiruchengattangudi".

Waiting for responses...

Pranams

Ganapathi worship in Tamilnadu dates back to Ramayana period. Tiruchi Uchi Pillayar is considered as responsible for bringing Sri Ranganathar in Srirengam from Vibhishaner. This has not happened in Kali Yuga and much before that.

Hence Vinayaga worship dates back to previous yugas.

All the best

Yes RV ji. It means even before this, his worship is there in our area. We start all our vedic rituals with ganesa dhyana only. Temples dated back even before Ganapatheeswaram have ganesha idols. So, we might not say because of paranjodhi it emerged in tamilnadu.

Also, Soundarrajan uncle, the story of "soolikambal" is entirely new. When I visited the temple, the gurukkal said this name as a sanskrit name, referring "Soolini" (A form of durga, who protects ganapathi in fight with Gajamukasura). Why am telling this is, the tamil name of that ambal is "Vaitha thirugukuzhal valar umai ammai". So, certainly the name of soolikambal should be of sanskirt origin. I dont think in Sanskrit "Sool" means "Karu". What do you think about that? Also, the shrine of ambal is like those situated in other temples only. We cannot say that they are outside the temple. For example, in "Seeyathamangai" temple, the "ubayapushpavilochani" shrine will be in entirely different place. Even the shrine of "Sivakamasundari" in chidambaram will also be like that only na??? Kindly clarify me uncle.

Pranams

Namassadhasae.

Sarva shri Suvarchas/Durga/ RV jis:

Thanks all.

Ganapathy definitely seems to be one of the oldest Gods. Historically, this is the story of this sthala vinayagar. We cannot add or less to the historical story.

Where-ever there is a pipal or banyan tree, definitely a pillayar is expected to be there. No constructed shrine is needed and he is a god of 'sowlabyam'. Similar to the no. of pillayar idols in this country, the stories about him are also many. There is one vinayagar called Vallaba ganapathy, on whose lap vallabha is comfortably sitting. Many say he is a Brahmachari. Some say he has got two wives, sidhi & budhi. Some say santhoshi matha is the daughter of pillayar. There is one sthalam, in which Pillayar is worshipped as a goddess, with the name 'Vigneswari'. The stories go further and further. Imagination about pillayar goes to the extent of giving one gun to him and call him as' kargil pillayar'; who is holding a laptop is called computer Ganapathy and so on.

With simplistic items like erukkam boo, arugampul, thumbai poo, any pathram (leaves) that are seen and within our easy reach are suitable for this god. Even bramacharis can perform the daily poojas. Avvalu soulabyam (simplicity)!

Through a respectable family friend, who is a pillayar bhakthar, I understand that Maha periyavar had made to him a statement that it is quite strange that in vedas no where - any suktham, sabdham or rik for Pillayar is available, except in Atharvana veda, where there is one upanishad called 'Maha Ganapathy Atharvaseerisham' with the prefix commencing 'Bhadram Karnaebhi: sruNuyama devA:".

(Since this statement bears periyavar's stamp, this can well be taken at its face value. 'GanAnAmthva Ganapathigum havamahae....." is a veda sabdham , but this says pathi of gaNas and hence it is used for pillayar prarthanai, before parayanam of veda sabdham. Cannot be ascertained that it is for pillayar.)

My father's grand father (my prapithamahar) is a pillayar upAsakar. His name was Ganapathy. My father's name was also GanapathyI request all to take this story as the story of this sthalam which stands for my initial. Pillayar eNgaLukku rombavum bandhu this way!!)

At least for our pillayar vazhipadu in tamilnadu, we have got a historic reference, which need not necessarily be true; but a historic reference is available. I request all to take this story as the story of this sthalam.

Incidentally, One of our tamil brahmin writers, Amarar Kalki, in his novel titled 'Sivagamiyin Sabatham', had depicted this Paranjothi's character as siva bhakthar. The period of the story ended when Paranjothi was a responsible minister in the king's cabinet. His avatharam as a nayanmAr happened after the period.:ear:

_ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

Yes Uncle. With that reference only I calculated the age. In that same story itself, the characters of Thirunavukkarasar and sambandar were also included. So the period of this Siruthonda nayanar should be almost equivalent to them only.

Am happy that you are close relative to ganesh. He is a friendly god. Almost every hindu likes him, because of his simplicity, magnanimous, and also his gesture.

Pranams

Late Sri Kothamangalam Subbu in his famous novel `Thillana Mohanambal' has written about Vaathapi Ganapathi at Tiruvarur.

There is one more famous Pillayar in Tiruvarur involving Sundaramurthi Nayanar known as Matru Uraitha Pillayar. மாற்றுரைத்த பிள்ளையார்.He is giving Darsan at the main entrance of the famous temple tank `Kamalaalayam'கமலாலயம்.

Sundarar went to Thirumuthukundram திருமுதுகுன்றம், the present name is Vridhachalam. This place is considered equivalent to Kaasi காசி. Those who are unable to go to Kaasi can just visit Lord Sivaa temple at Vridhachalam and get the same benefits.

Lord Sivaa was always fond of Sundarar's songs. Both Sambandhar and Appar have composed lot of songs without asking but Lord Sivaa had a weakness for Sundarar's songs. He composed a pathigam on Lord Shivaa at Vridhachalam demanding gold. Lord Sivaa also obliged him with 12000 gold coins. Sundarar didn't know what to do and told Lord Sivaa that if he transports the same to Tiruvarur, he can give it to his wife Paravai Naachiar. Paravai Nachiar was always engaged in doing charity work and she can make use of this gold for the purpose. Lord Sivaa also obliged him and told him that you put it in Manimutharu and pick it up at Kamalaalayam when he returns to Tiruvarur. Sundarar did as per the advice of Lord Sivaa.

After some time, Sundarar reached Tiruvarur and told his wife that he can get gold from Kamalaalayam. Sundarar tried to locate the gold at Kamalaalayam but Lord Sivaa didn't oblige him easily. Paravai Naachiar said `ஆற்றிலே போட்டு விட்டு குளத்தில் வந்து தேடறேலே; (You have dropped in the river and is searching in the tank). This proverb came into existance only through this incident.

Finally Sundarar sings a song beginning `Pon Seitha meniyineer' பொன் செய்த மேனியினீர் and Lord Sivaa obliges him in locating the gold coins. But still Sundarar had doubt that Lord Sivaa would have done some mischief and wanted to confirm that the gold is of genuine material. So he takes it to the Pillayar in the tank corner. Pillayar also confirms it is pure gold. There after this Pillayar is known as Matru Uraitha Pillayar. மாற்றுரைத்த பிள்ளையார்

Paramacharyal has written the above story in his book `Vinayagar' - Published by Simizhi Venkataraama Sastri Trust, Srirengam.

All the best

In vridhachalam, when sundarar visited swami himself disguised as a local person invited him to the temple and asked to sing a "padhikam" over Pazhamalainadhar. Sundarar asked him the name of deity and he replied that "Vrithagireeswarar" Then sundarar refused to sing padhigam stating that I hate "Old persons". Just to get a padhigam from sundarar, Swami turned as a young guy. On seeing that, ambal too turned young (Baalaambigai). Then sundarar sang songs on them.

Swami himself said to sundarar that "there are lot of theives in the mid-way to thirumudhukundram- thriuvarur". Then sundarar asked swami how to transport that? Then swami said him to drop all the coins in Manimutharu and asked him to take the same from Kamalalayam. Sundarar dropped 11,999 coins and took only one coin along with him. He gave that one coin to lord ganesha in kamalalaya tank who compared the other coins with the weightage of this one coin and provide assurance for the quality.

Pranams

Ganapathi worship in Tamilnadu

Namassadhasae.

Sarva shri Suvarchas/Durga/ RV jis:

Thanks all.

Ganapathy definitely seems to be one of the oldest Gods. Historically, this is the story of this sthala vinayagar. We cannot add or less to the historical story.

Where-ever there is a pipal or banyan tree, definitely a pillayar is expected to be there. No constructed shrine is needed and he is a god of 'sowlabyam'. Similar to the no. of pillayar idols in this country, the stories about him are also many. There is one vinayagar called Vallaba ganapathy, on whose lap vallabha is comfortably sitting. Many say he is a Brahmachari. Some say he has got two wives, sidhi & budhi. Some say santhoshi matha is the daughter of pillayar. There is one sthalam, in which Pillayar is worshipped as a goddess, with the name 'Vigneswari'. The stories go further and further. Imagination about pillayar goes to the extent of giving one gun to him and call him as' kargil pillayar'; who is holding a laptop is called computer Ganapathy and so on.

With simplistic items like erukkam boo, arugampul, thumbai poo, any pathram (leaves) that are seen and within our easy reach are suitable for this god. Even bramacharis can perform the daily poojas. Avvalu soulabyam (simplicity)!

Through a respectable family friend, who is a pillayar bhakthar, I understand that Maha periyavar had made to him a statement that it is quite strange that in vedas no where - any suktham, sabdham or rik for Pillayar is available, except in Atharvana veda, where there is one upanishad called 'Maha Ganapathy Atharvaseerisham' with the prefix commencing 'Bhadram Karnaebhi: sruNuyama devA:".

(Since this statement bears periyavar's stamp, this can well be taken at its face value. 'GanAnAmthva Ganapathigum havamahae....." is a veda sabdham , but this says pathi of gaNas and hence it is used for pillayar prarthanai, before parayanam of veda sabdham. Cannot be ascertained that it is for pillayar.)

My father's grand father (my prapithamahar) is a pillayar upAsakar. His name was Ganapathy. My father's name was also GanapathyI request all to take this story as the story of this sthalam which stands for my initial. Pillayar eNgaLukku rombavum bandhu this way!!)

At least for our pillayar vazhipadu in tamilnadu, we have got a historic reference, which need not necessarily be true; but a historic reference is available. I request all to take this story as the story of this sthalam.

Incidentally, One of our tamil brahmin writers, Amarar Kalki, in his novel titled 'Sivagamiyin Sabatham', had depicted this Paranjothi's character as siva bhakthar. The period of the story ended when Paranjothi was a responsible minister in the king's cabinet. His avatharam as a nayanmAr happened after the period.:ear:

_ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்
Dear Sir,
I agree that Ganaanaam tva from Veda is addressed to Brahmanspathi or Brihaspathi,but again Mahaperiyava had opined that Vedas cannot be dated as they are called Apaurusheyam and Anaadhi.

Vatapi Ganapathi idol might have been brought by Paramjyothi,but Ganapathi worship was even before as there are innumerable shrines like Sandhu Pillayar in Tirunelveli said to be consecrated by Sage Agasthya,by Sage Gouthama in Ganapathi agraharam etc.

If we go by the date of Kanchi Mutt for Bhagavatpada as 509 B.C.,there is an idol in Srimatam where Adisankara is depicted with six shishyas for Shanmatha staapanam in Srimatam at Kanchi for spreading the worship of six murthis which again corrborates that Ganesha has been a household Murthi in Tamilnadu

I wish to share one more much unknown Pillaiyar... "Kaati kodutha pillaiyar"

This pillayar temple (Shrine???) is located in Ambarthirumaakaalam. In this place, somasimaranayanar performed soma yagam. Nayanar got friendship with Sundarar and sundarar affirmed nayanar that the swami will come from thriuvarur (Thyagaraja) at the end of yaga to directly get the Avirbhagam. Sundarar also said him that swami may come in any form to get that. Very happily, nayanar performed the soma yaga and many rithviks were there. When the ahudhi is about to give, a fourth-caste person catching four dogs with him and his wife carrying a wine-pot came to the spot. Everyone because of their superiority complex neglected them. Nayanar was much confused what to do. At that time, the pillayar in that Yagasalai showed his finger towards that fourth-caste person and indirectly urged nayanar to provide the avirbagha. Nayanar happily provided the "avirbhaga" in the hands of that Pulaiyan and then swami gave him darshan.

The pillayar in that yagasala is still there in the name of "Kaati kodutha pillayar". The yagasala is still there; whereas the temple is located in "Agara thirumaakaalam". So the pillayar shrine alone will be there.

This Shivastalam is located near Poonthottam on the Peralam Tiruvarur railway line. Tiru-Ambar is considered to be the 54th in the series of Tevara Stalams in the Chola kingdom located south of the river Kaveri. This is a grand temple just a kilometer away from yet another Shivastalam Ambar Maakalamin the same town.

Pranams

Namassadhasae.

Durga:

Excellnt posting. Your posting on Agara Thirumaalam Somayaji yagam kindled my days of childhood & boyhood. Every year, in the month of Vaikasi. this somayaji yagam will take place. This is the one big annual event in this area. I used to go to this yagam with my parents every year. This place is just 3 miles away from my birth place. We all will go by walk. I will get pocket money also. nalana (four annas) from my father and nalana from my athai. This is a great pocket money those days. There was a rayar's house there which will provide guest accommodation. 'KAtti kodutha pillayar' indha kathai therintha naNbar oruvarai katti koduththar. This belt has lot of temple treasures. Every km is a sthalam in this belt. Please continue to post as much of them.

All the best.

_ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

It is very nice that the post "kaati kodutha pillayar" has made you to return your childhood days for a while. Thanks to him uncle. Yes. on those days, Nalana is huge pocket money only. Even when I studied 6-10, we normally use nalana and etana for bus tickets. (In madurai at that time, from alagappan nagar- periyar bus stand the fare is just 60 paise). But now???

Will try to just post the story of the yagam also if possible...

Thanks Ramani uncle for your support. I will post more whichever I know about Pillayar in this.

SOMASI YAGAM:

I think the nayanar name is juts "Mara nayanar". Since he performed soma yagam he got that name as somasi mara nayanar.

COming to the story, this nayanar wants to perform soma yagam in his lifetime. He has a desire of performing this yaga, and also wants to provide the avirbhaga directly to shri Shiva. Everyone teased him since it is not possible. The rithviks and hothas said to him that avirbhagam should be provided only in the form of ahudi in yagagni (holy fire). But, mara nayanar was stubborn in his decision. Meanwhile he came to know about sundarar in tiruvarur (who even talks directly with shiva). But mara nayanar does not know him. One of the mara nayanar's friend said to him that "Sundarar is fond of eating "Thuthuvalai keerai"". On hearing this, mara nayanar came to a conclusion. Daily he went to thiruvarur from his place starting so early in the morning picking "thuthuvalai leaves" and gave them to "Paravai nachiyar" through backyard. Sundarar ate those keerai daily. Months passed by this. One day, due to heavy rain, mara nayanar was unable to come at correct time to paravai nachiar's home. In the meantime, after finishing his shivapooja sundarar started to eat. Paravai nachiar served him with other dishes. Sundarar on seeing them suddenly remembered about "thuthuvalai keerai". He asked her regarding this. Paravai nachiar replied that the person who gave the keerai daily has not come today. Sundarar asked for name and from where he is coming. But paravai nachiar simply said that she doesn't know anything about him. Sundarar started to think of the person and after a while, mara nayanar came. Paravai introduced him to sundarar. After knowing that daily mara nayanar is coming from thirumaakaalam, sundarar was much moved (The distance between maakaalam and thiruvarur is very long. (might be atleast 8 kms). am not sure). Then he asked for what purpose he is doing this. Maran said his wish and sundarar accepted that and conveyed the message to swami. Swami initially hesitates and said to him that "everything should happen according to the vedic rules. So, I cannot overrule that and go directly to have that avirbhaga". But sundarar compelled swami and finally swami said to sundarar that he will come to that yaga in any form. Sundarar to convey the same to mara nayanar...

The rest story is in the "pillayar post".

A beautiful idol of "pulaiyan and pulaichi carrying dogs and wine pot respectively" is there in that temple.
Pranams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back