• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vamana Avatara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear sangom uncle

To my knowledge god only created us and we have not created god.
Dear Shri Durgadasan,

It is one's freedom to hold certain particular beliefs, in this case that god created "us". But you say it is your knowledge, not belief. So, will you kindly tell me why god created us and what god is?

So it is strictly his decision which form to take and not we people to decide whether a sacred cow or sea-turtle.
The logic or rationale behind this statement is not clear to me. Granting that god created us, could he not have come as himself, in his very form, whatever it is?

As for as my science knowledge says, tortoise can live both in sea and land.
I have no qualification to argue on this point that too with a Ph. D. student in micro-biology. Still, from the web resources I find that there is a subtle difference between the two:

"What is the Difference Between a Turtle and a Tortoise?

A division of reptiles, called chelonians, includes turtles, tortoises, and terrapins. For the most part, the difference between a turtle and tortoise is more of a rough semantic category than a strict taxonomic separation. Colloquially, both biologists and lay people use the word, "turtle" to mean all chelonians. In general, turtles live in or near the water and have adapted to swim by holding their breath underwater. Tortoises live primarily in arid regions, built for storing their own water supply and walking on sandy ground.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-turtle-and-a-tortoise.htm"

In case for your amoeboid like organisms (they are actually microbes) (am a ph.d student in microbiology), we cannot consider them as proper living beings as their reproductive cycle is entirely different and they remains invisble to us. We people usually say with a pride that we are studying about god (How means microbes are ubiquitous in this universe and is invisible to human naked eye and they rule all the living-beings without knowing their presence-- How similarities between microbes and god na uncle).
Is it correct to hold the view that "life" is different in microbes and man? How do you express the difference? If it is only hetero-sexual reproduction, then many species will go out of the purview of life, will it not? Then how do you explain the multiplication of amoebae? Is it something akin to crystal formation and growth?

The similarity between god and microbes is good, in parts, like the curate's eggs. But when we come to destroying amoebae with drugs, I think the comparison will become odious, is not it?

We should always think about the necessity of the avathars taken and the actual circumstances and scenario behind that. It is not that always a cow is sacred and boar is of lower quality. In the srishti of god, everything is equal and so might be to prove that he left the cow avatar and took a boar.
How is the necessity for an avatar decided? What are the minimum conditions (circumstances) which will make it imperative for a new avatar to come? How are we to know it beforehand? The question is god could have taken the avatar of a whale instead of fish, crocodile instead of tortoise, elephant instead of a wild boar, lion-tiger or monkey-lion instead of narasimha; why was one preferred over the other?

Dear Sangom Uncle

I know very well that you know the answers for all the queries you have raised. ANyhow, will provide my answers to my knowledge. As you said it is a belief, the books which I studied and the puranas which I read gave me the knowledge that god only created the world. Even the great scientific big-bang theory also states that some superpower of nature has splitted into planets. We call this supernature as god. As parabrahma is formless, it can take any form which it wishes (As you asked it to come in its original form). Which is its original form? What is the primitive organisms even before the 1-celled amoeba (which is the ancestoral lineage for that).
I think even destruction of microbes with drugs is also OK with equivalent to god. As microbes are "n" numbered, though god is superior, there are "n" number of demi- and semi-gods around us, among them both good and bad are also there. they fight with others. They die, they get birth again... Every thing is a cycle only na uncle.

Coming to the circumstance of avatar, it is very clear that Avathar has been taken just for only one person's sake and even for the whole world. But whenever there is a necessity to save wise men and to establish the "Dharma", an avathar of god has been taken. You have asked why not Wild boar, lion-tiger or monkey-lion instead of narasimha avathar. As I mentioned in my previous post itself, it is clearly his own decision to take the form. You can even ask why to take a human form instead he can take "YAksha" "SNake" or some other forms. But each avathar has its own unqiueness and conveys us some messages. There is nothing to question.

Will you ask your daddy why he gave birth to you?? He dont have an answer for this. That will be a silly question and also it is unnecessary. We have born here and have some duties to finish. We should concentrate only on that na uncle. This very case is similar to god's avathar. This is not for question, but for to know certain things that will happen when we enter into the wrong path.

Pranams

Will you ask your daddy why he gave birth to you?? He dont have an answer for this. That will be a silly question and also it is unnecessary. We have born here and have some duties to finish. We should concentrate only on that na uncle. This very case is similar to god's avathar. This is not for question, but for to know certain things that will happen when we enter into the wrong path.

Pranams

Shri Durgadasan,

Your comparison is brazen and may also be seen as audacious by some people. But it is odious; do you say that an avatAr will ask the same question to God? Otherwise the comparison does not stand.

It is true that I (or for that matter, most sensible people) will not ask my (their) father why I / he was given birth to. But that is because we know fairly well how it would have happened, and in almost all cases no man proceeds in a premeditated fashion to create a new "avatAr" of God in the form of his son.

So, now from your simile, does it mean that God also just did something for his pleasure - just as your or my father did - and its result became an avatAr?

The rest of your post is full of half-truths and assumptions, arising out of your extreme and, I would say, irrational belief in all that is trotted out as holy scriptures. So, I will not make any comments now and allow time to modify you and your world view.

Varaha Avatara

Bali was trying to usrup Indiras position by Yagnas.
Indra has a life cycle during which time he occupys the position.
By trying to usurup that position, Bali was going against the natural rule,
which was corrected. Since he is also a devoted one, he was given a boon that
Bali will be born as Indra subsequently by the natural process. But actual Bali has benefitted as the Lord has promised him that he will be protecting him.

Do not know whether one will accept it or not, there will always be reactions
for all the wrong doings, but it takes its due course, but it will defiinetely follows.

Rgds,
Mohan

I have never been able to get a rational explanation why Vamana Avatara happened.

Maharaja Bali was a Daitya, no doubt. But he was just and observed all the rules of Dharma. Before him, Prahalad too was a daitya king and was very, very dharmic. But he was not banished, Maharaja Bali was. Why, oh why?

Vamana is a unique avatar. He was the first avatar to be born in a brahmin family, next was Parshurama. Vamana did not kill anyone, latter did.

What was the crime of Maharaja Bali? As a Punjabi brahmin I believe, he was the maryada rajottam, an ideal king. Better kings are hard to find.

I understand that Maharaja Bali has day of worship among S. Indians. My Keralaite neighbours celebrate his day with quite a fanfare. They were surprised to know that we too venerate him!!

Can anyone remove my doubts?

Bali Maharaja is a Chiranjeevi and it is God's Will that determined that Bali will rule over the underworlds and he will return every year to the Earth at time of Onam festival, according to Keralaite belief!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back