• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

value of a rupee!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GANESH65

In 1969, I used to eat a full meal for Rs. 0.60 ( sixty paise --in a Iyengar Hotel) near the railway gate in Peralam in the then Tanjore District.
I was a teacher, then, in Government High School, Peralam.

In 1969, I used to eat a full meal for Rs. 0.60 ( sixty paise --in a Iyengar Hotel) near the railway gate in Peralam in the then Tanjore District.
I was a teacher, then, in Government High School, Peralam.
A teacher's salary should have been in three digits, right, Sir? :)
P.S: A four-digit-salaried groom was a 'good catch' even in late 70s!!! :fish2:

The most valuable Re 1 is the one that you put in a Gift cover along with a 500 note for the newly weds! Or fhe Vetrilai tamboolam given to a Kanya with a Re 1 coin!

The most valuable Re 1 is the one that you put in a Gift cover along with a 500 note for the newly weds! Or fhe Vetrilai tamboolam given to a Kanya with a Re 1 coin!
Now a days, the coins are either in the denomination of 5 or 10. :)

Rs 5 was the norm for "Moi" (for colony friends) in the 70's....Now I guess it ranges from Rs 100 to Rs 500

A teacher's salary should have been in three digits, right, Sir? :)
P.S: A four-digit-salaried groom was a 'good catch' even in late 70s!!! :fish2:

Madam ,

In 1969, BT Assistant's salary was Rs 238/- (Basic pay Rs.140/- and DA Rs. 98/-)

But through private tuition Rs.300/- ( for SSLC - English & Mathematics Rs. 15 x 20 )

The four digit salary was prestigious and for mess expenses, I was given Rs. 500/-,

of which I could save about 10% as pocket money!

My veena students paid Rs. 50 as monthly fees - two classes per week. :cool:

I am talking about second half of 70s. :)

Madam ,

In 1969, BT Assistant's salary was Rs 238/- (Basic pay Rs.140/- and DA Rs. 98/-)

But through private tuition Rs.300/- ( for SSLC - English & Mathematics Rs. 15 x 20 )
hi sir,

my father was teacher ...his salary was Rs 45/- in 1950s in a panchayat union school , near coimbatore....

even i was teacher in Mylapore chennai in 1980s....my salary was about Rs.400/-

Sir,
By passing group II services exam of TNPSC in 1972, I got appointment as Sub- registrar in Registration with a starting salary of around Rs. 420/-pm.
Since I could not get along with corruption in Registration Dept., I wrote Bank exam in 1973, I entered the bank as a clerk for Rs.375/- pm( plus an overtime wage of Rs. 70/- pm)

In 1979, I got through in all India competitive exam and got promoted to Officer cadre and started getting nearly Rs. 1700/- per month.
After crossing several mile stones, now I get more than Rs. 40000/- pm ....as pension.
These are all not due to my personal growth. (may be to the extent of 25%) ; and all due to depreciation of money to a great extent.

The days of happiness with purchasing power of money of those days with Rs. 400/-pm is not there, with Rs. 40000/- pm.

Last edited:
Sir,
By passing group II services exam of TNPSC in 1972, I got appointment as Sub- registrar in Registration with a starting salary of around Rs. 420/-pm.
Since I could not get along with corruption in Registration Dept., I wrote Bank exam in 1973, I entered the bank as a clerk for Rs.375/- pm( plus an overtime wage of Rs. 70/- pm)

In 1979, I got through in all India competitive exam and got promoted to Officer cadre and started getting nearly Rs. 1700/- per month.
After crossing several mile stones, now I get more than Rs. 40000/- pm ....as pension.
These are all not due to my personal growth. (may be to the extent of 25%) ; and all due to depreciation of money to a great extent.

The days of happiness with purchasing power of money of those days with Rs. 400/-pm is not there, with Rs. 40000/- pm.
hi

when salary Rs 40/-pm during my grandather's time as sub inspector of police during british period...they were not able to buy gold..

the price of gold..during my father's period ,,salary gone upto Rs 200/- still gold price was high against salary,..now salary

is in above Rs 50000/- still gold not affordable...

hi

when salary Rs 40/-pm during my grandather's time as sub inspector of police during british period...they were not able to buy gold..

the price of gold..during my father's period ,,salary gone upto Rs 200/- still gold price was high against salary,..now salary

is in above Rs 50000/- still gold not affordable...

Gold has its own marginal utility in usage.In case of resale some times one has to incur loss.
But investment in real estate selectively, is a prudent venture.

I am A.Srinivasan (Rishikesan ) is an active member of this Forum. However I find that I am not able to come up to the level of veterans like Krish & many of this Forum & not able to cope up in their DEEP discussions on any Topic. I sincerely feel that the stalwarts including The Doctor ( ofcourse not a Tamil Brahmin , but after reading every bodys writing she has come up to veteran level & commands the forum along with the talented Brahmins.)
I always advocate that this forum should only have topics which would help to work out Practical solutions to the Brahmins youngsters to encourage in their Education & create Corpus Fund & provide to the real Needy ( all veterens should exert

to locate thru a scientific manner the really needed Poor brahmins Form a group of devoted members ) This must be done seriously & all veterans to lead & guide the movement. to its logical end when we are able to locate few enthusiastic young gents/ ladies to lead the same. I feel there is a Big Gap of really active middle aged Ladies & gents & how long we have to sail in the same worn-out Ship ?
What I have written is a Food for thought as well as for Real/ serious initiating by any / Please BELL the CAT ( I am continuing the main Topic started by Ganesh 65
Sincerely
A.srinivasan

any Topic. I sincerely feel that the stalwarts including The Doctor ( ofcourse not a Tamil Brahmin , but after reading every bodys writing she has come up to veteran level & commands the forum along with the talented Brahmins.)

A.srinivasan

Dear Rishikeshan ji,

Somehow I always notice you mention my name whenever you make a post that commands attention.

I guess I really leave an impact on you. I don't blame you!LOL

Yes you are right...I read a lot of posts written by everyone cos knowledge comes from all directions and one should be attentive and open to new ideas at the same time form our own judgment with personalized Viveka without the need to climb up or climb down anyone's imaginary pedestal.

Many members too read what I write and I believe in mutual exchange of opinions and respect opposing opinions.

I understand your active desire to make changes in the TB society and wished that TB forum can be used as a platform...fair enough cos its a commendable effort but at the same time we should remind ourselves that TB forum is multi dimensional and caters to every type of mind or opinion known to mankind.

So the beauty of forum should remain ...that is even though its a TB forum that welcomes Non TB members it still has a Universal touch that caters to every neuronal need.

Last edited:
Thanks to mr Ganesh 65 for starti.ng this Topic . Other members (Yes Mohan / Tbs / Raji Ram / & Vagne )
I am extremely happy because this would give room for healthy discussion at least between ourselves We can become nostalgic & exchange real life of to day , by super imposing the periods of our Fathers / grand old people. It is time we should happily discuss & get more inputs from you ALL ?
The need now is this;-
1) please provide your E- Mail I.D & phone number

2)I will keep your details safe with me

3 ) suggest meeting of us in Chennai any date before month end or earlier since I would leave for 6 months to U.S from

may end

4) Let me write mine"- E/M janaki.srinivasan11@ gmail. com

Bsnl (044 )24806871 / 24842279

5 ) If Mrs Raji can provide meeting place well & good or welcome to my place at Flat B/1 S.F.I Apt 16 Karnan street Kodambakkam ch 24

It would be a change for us & also others may like to emulate

Sincerely,

A.Srinivasan ( Rishikesan )

Thanks to mr Ganesh 65 for starti.ng this Topic . Other members (Yes Mohan / Tbs / Raji Ram / & Vagne )
I am extremely happy because this would give room for healthy discussion at least between ourselves We can become nostalgic & exchange real life of to day , by super imposing the periods of our Fathers / grand old people. It is time we should happily discuss & get more inputs from you ALL ?
The need now is this;-
1) please provide you E- Mail I.D & phone number

3 ) suggest meeting of us in Chennai any date before month end or earlier since I would leave for 6 months to U.S from

may end

4)

Dear Rishi Sir,

Nice to see your interest in a get-together in Sing. Chennai.

I have already landed in Boston to be with my son's family.

May be, we can meet around Diwali this year. Let us see! :)

The need now is this;-
1) please provide you E- Mail I.D & phone number

may end

4)
hi

may be in november in chennai....

The need now is this;-
1) please provide your E- Mail I.D & phone number

may end

4) Let me write mine"- E/M janaki.srinivasan11@ gmail. com

Bsnl (044 )24806871 / 24842279

5 ) If Mrs Raji can provide meeting place well & good or welcome to my place at Flat B/1 S.F.I Apt 16 Karnan street Kodambakkam ch 24

It would be a change for us & also others may like to emulate

Sincerely,

A.Srinivasan ( Rishikesan )

Morning, Rishikesan Sir,
Much thrilled to note your personal contact program. It really is a wonderful suggestion and can be held as an annual affair at a time convenient to most of the participants. I suggest since most of us lay scattered over various parts of India and abroad, I think some one based at Chennai can take the lead. In case Delhi/NCR is suitable for all of us, I offer myself to take the lead. Please feel free to access me at 8800696500/[email protected]. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back