• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

US Supreme Court declares same-sex marriage legal throughout the country

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

US Supreme Court declares same-sex marriage legal throughout the country

The Supreme Court ruled on Friday that the US Constitution provides same-sex couples the right to marry in a historic triumph for the American gay rights movement.

The court ruled 5-4 that the Constitution's guarantees of due process and equal protection under the law mean that states cannot ban same-sex marriages. With the ruling, gay marriage will become legal in all 50 states.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing on behalf of the court, said that the hope of gay people intending to marry "is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization's oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right."

Read more at: http://www.dnaindia.com/world/repor...marriage-legal-throughout-the-country-2099134

While I am not in favor of PDA (Public Display of Affection) like kissing in public (and I do not mean friendly kiss on the cheek) by anyone including hetrosexuals, I think this decision recognizes human beings as who they are. Many gays/Lesbians are unable to help how they feel and it is a trait seen even in animals.

India seemingly took a step back in this issue if I remember right. The Muslim countries have become more radicalized with respect to homosexuality in recent times.

I hope these marriage rights through this supreme court decision does not result in PDA of gays as well on the streets.

Like a thunderbolt’: America reacts to gay marriage ruling

america-reaction-scotus-gay-marriage.si.jpg

Friday’s historic Supreme Court ruling granting same-sex couples the right to marry across the United States arrived “like a thunderbolt,” President Barack Obama said, delighting progressive supporters but enraging conservative opponents

Following the Court’s 5-4 decision, President Obama said, “This ruling is a victory for America.”

“Progress on this journey often comes in small increments, sometimes two steps forward, one step back, propelled by the persistent effort of dedicated citizens. And then sometimes, there are days like this, when that slow, steady effort is rewarded with justice that arrives like a thunderbolt,”
Obama said from the Rose Garden.

He added that the Supreme Court “reaffirmed that all Americans are entitled to equal protection of the law, that all people should be treated equally regardless of who they are or who they love."

Read more at: http://rt.com/usa/270052-america-reaction-scotus-gay-marriage/

What Indian media say....

"Hard-fought victory for gay rights activists
[h=2]In his dissenting note, CJ saysthat statute had nothing to do with it[/h]In a once-in-an-epochdecision, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Friday that gay and lesbian couplesacross the country enjoyed a constitutional right to marry, and in doing sostruck a blow for progressives in the “defining civil rights challenge of ourtime”.
The 5-4 decisionguaranteeing the constitutional right to same-sex marriage under the 14thAmendment of the U.S. Constitution brings to an end, at least for the moment, aban on such unions in 13 U.S. States and hands a historic victory to activistswho have fought for years in the lower courts with mixed success.

In 37 States and theDistrict of Columbia, courts already recognise marriage equality, a status quothat reflects a transformation in public opinion on the issue, and pollssuggesting that most Americans now approve of same-sex marriage.

Writing the majorityopinion, Justice Anthony Kennedy said, “No union is more profound thanmarriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion,sacrifice, and family… In forming a marital union, two people become somethinggreater than once they were.”

Read fore at: http://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...y-for-gay-rights-activists/article7359281.ece

Hindu body ‘celebrates’ decision
[h=2]Only 55 per cent of Hindus inthe U.S. support same-sex marriages, says poll.[/h]The U.S. SupremeCourt’s historic ruling affirming marriage equality this week has spurredfurther debate on how different religious communities view LGBT rights andsocial surveys on this subject underscore a wide variation in views acrossreligions.

Shortly after theruling was announced the Hindu American Foundation (HAF) released a statementsaying that it “celebrated” the decision, especially as the organisation had,over the past few years, joined numerous amicus briefs at the Supreme Court andlower court levels supporting marriage equality.

“HAF’s work on thisissue is consistent with our view that Hinduism provides no spiritual basis todiscriminate based on sexual orientation or gender identity,” noted SwaminathanVenkataraman, a member of the group’s Executive Council and an author of itspolicy paper on “Hinduism and Homosexuality.”

However not all Hindusextend this sort of approach to marriage equality for the LGBT community

Read more at: http://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...es-samesex-marriages-in-us/article7359282.ece

In the indian context, if the 'criminality' clause is removed and gay relationship is not made an offence (it was so till the british introduced it), that should be enough, as other rights are guaranteed by the constitution. There is no social boycott apart from a few snide remarks, and that too vanishes in due course.

What does one gain by this marriage? All economic activities - buying property jointly, sharing of assets by will or contract, adoption and many more are possible without 'marriage'.

What is the net gain?

Mocktale: Indians react to US legalizing same-sex marriage
16657162.cms

Stories in Mocktale are works of fiction intended to bring a smile to your face. They bear no connection to events and characters in real life.

Gay.jpg

Mocktale: Indians react to US legalizing same-sex marriage (Thinkstock Photos/Getty Images)

In a historic turn of events, US Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriages across the country. There were wild scenes of celebrations in most parts of the world and #LoveWins trended on the micro-blogging website Twitter. However, the verdict was met with mixed reactions in India where the draconian section 377 is yet to be struck down. We spoke to various people to gauge what they thought about same-sex marriages.

"So, who pays the dowry in such marriages? Also, are these marriages done within the same caste?" asked a concerned Indian mother on condition of anonymity. "And, who moves to whose place once they tie the knot? More importantly, how do you face your neighbor Sharmaji after your child gets hitched with someone of the same-sex?" she further added, raising pertinent questions.

Baba Ramdev was enraged when he came to know about the decision. "Only if they had waited for a bit longer, I'd have definitely found a way to cure homosexuality. Indians should trust me and not make any stupid move in haste like the US. One day we will conquer the devil that is homosexuality, but before that I need to find a cure for my eye which keeps fluttering," he told our Mocktale reporter.

A conservative guy also put forth his views on the subject and said, "Instead of marrying some one of the same sex, you should go ahead and get married with a tree. This concept of same-sex marriage is stupid and against our culture. We don't allow people to marry outside their caste and you are talking about legalizing same-sex marriages. Heck, we don't even allow our kids to pursue anything but engineering."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ng-same-sex-marriage/articleshow/47841466.cms

Indian-American Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal has criticised the US Supreme Court over its two landmark rulings of legalising same-sex marriage and upholding the healthcare law, and has called for "getting rid" of the apex judicial body.
"The Supreme Court is completely out of control, making laws on their own, and has become a public opinion poll instead of a judicial body," said Jindal, the 13th Republican aspirant to aim for the White House in 2016 election.
"If we want to save some money let's just get rid of the court," he said.
Jindal said the Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage fundamentally redefined the institution of marriage.
"Marriage between a man and a woman was established by God, and no earthly court can alter that," he said.
He argued that protecting same-sex marriage would open the door to discrimination against people of faith who oppose its practice.

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...gay-marriage/ec71c605d8ae6880a11c2e9edfa0f99c

Presidential Candidates Respond to Supreme Court Marriage Ruling

White House aspirants were out with statements responding to the Supreme Court legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide within seconds of the decision being announced Friday morning.

Democrats were elated with the decision, following that party’s swift turn on the issue over the last decade.

The Republican reaction was more mixed, with all expressing disappointment with the high court’s ruling, but disagreeing on the next steps forward.

Social conservatives pledged to continue to keep fighting against same-sex marriage, while other candidates said they would move to ensure that those who object to such unions were not punished for their beliefs.

Read more at: http://time.com/3937636/supreme-court-gay-marriage-presidential-candidates/

What are the implications? How these will be handled?
Marriage oath, adultery, divorce, church weddings, adoption of girls by male couple or boys by female couple, rape/unnatural acts and many more. Court reaction will be known only such cases come for arbitration.

Why Indian opponents of same-sex marriage are so horrified at the US verdict

Marriage is the ultimate sign of normalcy. That's why LBGT people demand it.

96441889-eb14-468e-b902-5ea93f84b0ef.jpg

On Friday, one of the most influential courts in the world ruled in a 5-4 decision that same-sex marriage is legal. The US Supreme Court went on to define the idea of marriage within the folds of love and commitment. “Rising from the most basic human needs, marriage is essential to our most profound hopes and aspirations,” wrote Justice Anthony Kennedy for the majority.

This decision ended several decades of debates in US law and policy on marriage, religion, and the freedom of states over central government institutions. But while the US Supreme Court might have had the last word on same sex marriage in the US, here in India the debate is still rife.

Within weeks of the Delhi High Court decision in 2009 legalising gay sex, the Supreme Court of India received more than a dozen appeals filed by fringe religious organisation which, incoherently, but not without conviction argued that their opposition was linked to the fear that this would lead to gays and lesbians getting married.

But in the real world...

However, Indian gays and lesbians ‒ taking a leaf from the inter-faith and inter-caste runaway weddings ‒ have been marrying already, at least for a while. In 1987, news emerged that two policewomen, Leela and Urmila, in Bhopal, had been suspended because they had married each other. It was, of course, not a legal wedding: at best, a Bollywoodesque run-away temple satpadi wedding with a favourable pundit and an exchange of varmalas.

Read more at: http://scroll.in/article/737216/why...x-marriage-are-so-horrified-at-the-us-verdict

Following SC ruling, gay couples make a beeline for U.S.

TH29_GAY_2455005f.jpg

Many couples are moving to get legal sanction for their unions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
It has come as a boon for the resourceful among Hyderabad’s gay and lesbian community.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruling that legalised same sex marriages all over the country has come as a boon for the resourceful among Hyderabad’s gay and lesbian community. Charged by the historic ruling, some of them have decided to move to the U.S. to benefit from the verdict.

It was only in May that lesbian couple Smruthi Narayan and Swetha Pai from Hyderabad got married in San Francisco.

Among those planning to go to the U.S. now are students of private and public educational institutions and employees of Hyderabad-based corporate companies who have the option of going abroad either on research fellowships or job visa. Some are also considering moving to the U.K., Ireland and France, which have already legalised gay unions.

A hotel management student, Alex Alexy, set aside a job offer from Bulgaria to grab a fellowship from Kent University, Ohio, right after the SC judgment. His friend Akhil Wilson, an advertising professional who recently moved to the city, is all set to go to Maryland to do a course in web designing. “I am not going alone. My partner who lives in Chennai will soon join me on a work visa,” he said.

'Marriage alone is not our priority’

Read more at: http://www.thehindu.com/news/fallou...ples-make-a-beeline-for-us/article7364353.ece

I have mixed feelings about this.

From the LBGT point of view..it might make sense but the next step is adoption of children.

Now that is going to create a lot of confusion in the psycho-sexual development of children adopted by LBGT couples.

I have no problems if LBGT want to get married..but they should realize and accept that if they cant produce kids the way nature intended..I dont think they should adopt kids.

‘Marriage alone is not our priority’

“For those who have not come out of the closet, moving abroad gives opportunities to express their sexuality. While societies in these countries still harbour stigma against the community, legal rights have given the much-needed comfort,” said Andy Stephen, a member of Hyderabad’s gay and lesbian community.

But there are also others who are unwilling to go despite the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling.

Said Jayati Mathur, a corporate employee and member of the community, “Our fight is for basic rights, including right to dignity. Marriage alone is not our priority.”

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...-alone-is-not-our-priority/article7365238.ece

Purpose of marriage is perhaps to get legal rights for adoption. This is sure to raise ethical issues, as a normal child will grow in a not so normal environment and is likely to face abuse in schools.

Hijras accept into their community anyone of any age with that condition. Often the boy or the girl with confused identity runs away from home, and welcomed by the community.

I still fail to see why marriage is seen as important and necessary. In our society they were tolerated as long as they did it in private and were not exhibitionist.

From the LBGT point of view..it might make sense but the next step is adoption of children.

Now that is going to create a lot of confusion in the psycho-sexual development of children adopted by LBGT couples.

I have no problems if LBGT want to get married..but they should realize and accept that if they cant produce kids the way nature intended..I dont think they should adopt kids.

I have a question here...

What if a person is a Bisexual and desires to have 2 spouses..one same sex and the other the opposite sex..can the court allow polygamy on special grounds as in case of a bisexual?

I know one lady .

Who was shocked to discover that her husband was a bisexual after years of marriage

She already had two kids thru him.

She walked out of the marriage .

Recently she got her son married.

The husband attended the marriage.

He got treated like a leper.

In life one comes across strange situations like this

I know one lady .

Who was shocked to discover that her husband was a bisexual after years of marriage

She already had two kids thru him.

She walked out of the marriage .

Recently she got her son married.

The husband attended the marriage.

He got treated like a leper.

In life one comes across strange situations like this

A husband and wife relationship is a strange one.

I feel a husband and wife relationship is a very conditional one.

Cos just say if we find out our brother or sister is a bisexual..we wont treat them badly but still love them so why react so badly if our spouse is one?

just say if we find out our brother or sister is a bisexual..we wont treat them badly but still love them so why react so badly if our spouse is one?

Doctor Mam,

Rarely few gain such maturity:)

In USA LBGT couple adopt children, or have IVF and get kids. They have come up with some psycho-sexual study to show that there is no adverse effect on children.
I share your mixed feelings.
I do not have problem that LBGT people got their freedom and rights restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back