• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Update on "Eeya Chombu Rasam"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had some discussion on "Eeya Chombu" some time back
Here is some update. Actually the metal is not lead at least not entirely lead it is an alloy of Tin and some other metals
No problem in making rasam in Eeya Chombu

ஈய சொம்பு ரஸத்தை குமுட்டி அடுப்புலெ வச்சு ஸுடவெச்சு ஸுட்ட உளுந்து அப்பளத்தோடெ சாப்பிடணும். அடுப்புலெ ஏமாந்தா cannon ball மாதிரி ஆயிடும்.

ஈய சொம்பு ரஸத்தை குமுட்டி அடுப்புலெ வச்சு ஸுடவெச்சு ஸுட்ட உளுந்து அப்பளத்தோடெ சாப்பிடணும். அடுப்புலெ ஏமாந்தா cannon ball மாதிரி ஆயிடும்.
Could please translate in Tamil I cant read and write Tamil although I speak well

Could please translate in Tamil I cant read and write Tamil although I speak well
Rasam is to be prepared in "eeyacchombu" (a vessel made of tin) and must be made in "kummuTTi aDuppu" which used to be a side burner in the old-world stoves using fuelwood for burning. Cooked rice with such rasam and baked (not oil-fried) appalam tastes best. But even slight carelessness will cause the tin vessel to melt and become like a cannon-ball

Eeya sombu rasam is the sole discovery of Tamil brahmins.
When entire Greece empire was dying because of excessive lead ( Eeyam ) , related diseases our great ancestors discovered Eeyam + Tin and other metals making it as an alloy . I have seen people add perungayam at the correct proportion at right time while making Eeya sombu.
The shape of Eeya sombu is peculiar compared to any other kitchen utensils.
It will have a narrow opening ( Vay ) at the top, helps in retaining the flavour of rasam for a longer duration , little taller than it's base or diameter to withstand little careless ness by the cook . Vow really great.

Similar discovery by our good old people are the mavadu in long Jadis. Vatha kolambu in kachatti ( Kal satti A stone ware )

Idhellam sonna puriyadhu anubhavikkanum.

( Though my intention was to write this in Tamil as one of our friend who can speak good tamil but cannot read , want to read this and Enjoy.).

Last edited:
Dear Sri Krishnamurthy,

You said it. இதெல்லாம் சொன்னா புரியாது, அனுபவிக்கணும். We must enjoy all traditional things by experience only. Last time when we went to Kumbakonam, my wife was particular to get a new Eeya Chombu - ஈயச்சொம்பு from the market, which we were told is famous for the ஈயச்சொம்பு. Perhaps Kumbakonam is the place in South, where we can get ஈயச்சொம்பு even today. After getting the same my wife wanted to get another thing which is fading fast from our culture, the பல்லாங்குழி, which is available in the Temple town. I checked for the same in the shops within the Temple outer Prakaram and got one, with the related சோழி, தாயக்கட்டை etc. Alas the old print of பரமபத சோபானம் has vanished from the shops around Srirangam Temple. Instead we find its modern version of Snakes and ladders there.
Traditions are evolved to enjoy good life.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Eeya sombu rasam is the sole discovery of Tamil brahmins.
When entire Greece empire was dying because of excessive lead ( Eeyam ) , related diseases our great ancestors discovered Eeyam + Tin and other metals making it as an alloy . I have seen people add perungayam at the correct proportion at right time while making Eeya sombu.
The shape of Eeya sombu is peculiar compared to any other kitchen utensils.
It will have a narrow opening ( Vay ) at the top, helps in retaining the flavour of rasam for a longer duration , little taller than it's base or diameter to withstand little careless ness by the cook . Vow really great.

Similar discovery by our good old people are the mavadu in long Jadis. Vatha kolambu in kachatti ( Kal satti A stone ware )

Idhellam sonna puriyadhu anubhavikkanum.

( Though my intention was to write this in Tamil as one of our friend who can speak good tamil but cannot read , want to read this and Enjoy.).
Thanks for the ENG
There is Vepallai Katti and Narthanga too

pazhaia satham with kanji stored overnight was eaten as breakfast with
maavadu or vatra kozhambu. Tastes superb. Keeps you going till one p.m

Once a maami asked me - what will you do when a guest comes in the night
after you have finished everything ?

She gave me the suggestion. Keep rice in a cooker. Fry appalam, make paccha
morkozhambu mixing paruppodi and curd and make rasam with just puli water
slightly boiled and thalichify with one dry chilli. Dinner ready in 15 minutes.

Kanchi periyaval said once about paruppu podi -

OnnumE illavittal, saadam vadichu, paruppodi pizhainthu thayir thottukondu saappidu.
Appuram saadham thayiroda pizhaindundu paruppodi thottukondu sappudu.

( avoided tamil script for those not knowing tamil script )

Shri Brahmanyan sir -
Pallaankuzhis are available in light plastics every where. But the same made of heavy wood is durable for "Kaasi adikka".

Last edited:
Once a maami asked me - what will you do when a guest comes in the night
after you have finished everything ?

She gave me the suggestion. Keep rice in a cooker. Fry appalam, make paccha
morkozhambu mixing paruppodi and curd and make rasam with just puli water
slightly boiled and thalichify with one dry chilli. Dinner ready in 15 minutes.

Dear Sri Ranganathan,

I should admit The maami's recipe is great. This rasam is called Gotturasam கொட்டு ரசம் , very simple to prepare and tasty too.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri Ranganathan,

I should admit The maami's recipe is great. This rasam is called Gotturasam கொட்டு ரசம் , very simple to prepare and tasty too.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Sir
This is a typical north arcot dt. language. We call vatta kozhambu as menthia
kozhambu, or menthikozhambu because of more menthiam in it.

In the border districts of N.A.Dt, Chittoor dt and Bangarpet, they make kEvur kali
along with mocha kottai sambar. They make a big pit in the kali and sambar
is poured in it like a water in the lake. The workers in the field enjoy this
nourishing food ( we too steal something out of this )

hi
the tamrind in rasam with eeyam makes some chemical acidic formations....so rasam tastes good....becoz only hot rasam from eeya

chombu rasam tastes so good....rasam with chutta appalam combinations.....typical middle class tambram food......

regards
tbs

Dear NRR sir,
Aadu puli is a bit cruel play bcoz aadu is butchered in this game and not preffered by Brahmins in houses.
Ofcourse sozhi , Dayam are quite popular besides Parambadam and Pallankuzhi , especially on Sivaratri and Vaikunda Ekadasi.

Sir,

In the olden days, we used to buy kamarkattu, made out of jaggery and cocanut
chewing it for some hours. Now it is almost extinct.

Another one is porulanga urundai. It will take hours to eat one.

Sir,

In the olden days, we used to buy kamarkattu, made out of jaggery and cocanut
chewing it for some hours. Now it is almost extinct.

Another one is porulanga urundai. It will take hours to eat one.

Eclair chocolate is its new avatar of Kamarkattu, near about.I used to get 2 pcs for a quarter of an anna. A relative of mine used to call poruvilangai urundai as 'cricket ball'. Paattis when on trip to meet grandsons would invariably bring those balls of course after fighting with the conductors (coal-driven buses) not to pay luggage. After unloading we will be given the luxury of 2 balls. We used put each one between a rakshasa door and the sturdy main frame to break it. The ball will show cracks only after 2/3 swings. Andha naal gnapakam vandadhe, nanpane, nanpane....

If you have visited Chettinad especially Karaikudi during your School days then the dish called Then mittai sold in almost all the shops is the one which no student will miss.
In the other words your school days is a waste without tasting Then muttai (Your Student life is incomplete without tasting Then muttai ). It is made out of Maida moov urundai and once chewed leaks the sakkarai pak inside it.
When I was student it was one paisa each and 3 pcs for 2 paise and 5 for 3 paises. We were 3 friends and used to get 1 paisa each from our mams on Tuesdays for carrying Vegetables bag from Shandi. We discovered that if we buy together for 3 paise we get more . We used to enjoy full piece first and 2/3 piece from left out .Of course Kaka kadi for sharing the 2 pcs to 3 of us. :llama:. Andha inimayana inippana Natkal nanbare.

Fine sir, Eclairs is the replacement of Kamarkattu.
What is the replacement for sokkatanpuli, a typical self made dish in villages where more of Tamrind trees are there.
During Tamrind season just shake the tree few riped trees. take out the shell and naar from Tamrind fruits. Crush it with Little jaggery , Salt and few vatha molaga. Crush it till all ingradients are well mixed and pasty thing is formed. Pull out thenankuchi just make small balls out of this paste stick it at one end of this stick taste it like Lalli pop.
Be on your heels bcoz if the watchman of Kuthagaikaran comes over there to Run.
Olagahaye eludhi vekkalm sir indha sokkattan pulikku.

Fine sir, Eclairs is the replacement of Kamarkattu.
What is the replacement for sokkatanpuli, a typical self made dish in villages where more of Tamrind trees are there.
During Tamrind season just shake the tree few riped trees. take out the shell and naar from Tamrind fruits. Crush it with Little jaggery , Salt and few vatha molaga. Crush it till all ingradients are well mixed and pasty thing is formed. Pull out thenankuchi just make small balls out of this paste stick it at one end of this stick taste it like Lalli pop.
Be on your heels bcoz if the watchman of Kuthagaikaran comes over there to Run.
Olagahaye eludhi vekkalm sir indha sokkattan pulikku.
I have tasted the item but not as a lollipop. You were as such a far advanced lot then. To be frank I used to eat but not relish it because sometimes the pullippu will pull the nerves from anus. Great days which are gone for ever.

Means you have not crushed/mixed the entire lot, or you have not added all ingradients in proper propositions.
odhadu molagayala lighta eriyanum
pulila pall koosanum
uppu nakkle ruchi theriyanum
Ellathukkum mela andha vellam sethadhu nakkla thidhikkanum
oru nimisham andha kadhamba ruchila olagame marakkanum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back