• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Unable To Work, Indian Immigrant Women Turn To Spiritual Practices For Comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Even though she met her husband through an arranged marriage, Pooja Sindhwani considers herself a modern woman. She worked in interior design in her native India for four years, and she and her husband spent a year getting to know each other before their wedding. When she followed her husband to Houston, she wasn't worried about adjusting to life in the United States.

Sindhwani still considers herself a Hindu, but the Buddhist practices she learned through Soka Gakkai have created "a shift in power and control in me," she said. It also helped her appreciate the things she has, like a supportive husband.

For Sindhwani, Buddhism and the diversity of Soka Gakkai taught her that her suffering is not unique to H-4 visa holders.

"Buddhism and spirituality came to me at a point of time when I needed that one thing in my life to depend on or hold on to," she said. "At the end of the day we have the same challenges and same troubles."

Unable To Work, Indian Immigrant Women Turn To Spiritual Practices For Comfort

This is ridiculous.

Spirituality is part of our daily life. How is employed or unemployed had anything to do with spirituality? This is like saying, unable to find work, I started doing my daily chores (eating, cleaning, feeding my child, sleeping, having good ethics/values etc.)

Last edited:

The problem is not that she is unable to work, just that she cannot find paid work.

She had worked in interior design in India. She may have other skills, like teaching Hindi to local kids, etc etc. She needs to go out volunteering her services, without expecting to be paid. Eventually, she can get compensated at least in kind, with all sorts of ‘gifts’ including ‘donations’. Not only that, with luck, she may find someone with connections and/or suggestions on how to contact the local congressperson to take up her case for changing the visa status. Most American neighbours are full of empathy, extraordinarily kind and hospitable.

Last edited:
The problem is not that she is unable to work, just that she cannot find paid work. Most American neighbours are full of empathy, extraordinarily kind and hospitable.

Very nice. Indians have to change their outlook and start volunteering not just in US, wherever they are.

hi
H 4 dependent visa can study in USA....no problem ....many did MBAs/M S here in USA.....the try H1 B visa...WHEN THERE IS
A WILL....THERE IS A WAY.....can be beautiful volunteer for the community/society.....dont complain the system....make
best out of the system....we do lot of complaints/blame games...its indian blood's nature....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back