• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Two Generations and their Achievements in India.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1. The country-India
=================

The Indian Sub-continent called India or Bharath is a wonderful country. It is a country which has the best of climate throughout most part of the year. It has a fairly cold winter which is enjoyable, it has a sweltering Summer and most part of the land even during the summer gets cool breeze from the sea surface in the evening as there is sea on all three sides of the subcontinent. And what more it has that magic of a monsoon. Every year right on dot the country receives good rainfall for a period of at least 7 months starting from June 1[SUP]st[/SUP]. The southwest and the north east monsoons are regular visitors to this land year after year without fail. The country’s plains are irrigated by the mighty perennial rivers in the north and south. Ethnicity wise this country has people with negroid, mongoloid and Aryan features populating the different regions. A plethora of religions, cultural practices, festivals, foods, traditions and languages and literature make this country unique in the world. Surrounded on three sides by the sea and on the north by the mighty Himalayan Mountain Ranges the country did not have to contend with marauding invaders for long. Before the Muslims from the Persia , the Mongols from the Mongolia and the British from the Europe invaded this country, for a very long time the country, though there were several kingdoms warring and feuding, had the vedic religions in common as the common denominator throughout the subcontinent. The muslims brought with them the Islam and Europeans brought in Christianity and thus we have every religion being practiced by people in this country today.

This country is endowed with unfailing monsoons and perennial rivers and vast plains with hard working people. So this became the cradle of some of the better known ancient civilizations of the world. Because of its climate and system of living in organised villages, the country never seriously suffered from the visitations of large scale famines or pestilence like plague. A war never really touched the village economy and after the war was over it was always business as usual unlike in other civilizations. The climate was such that pestilence was never a serious threat unlike Europe where people died in large numbers because of bulbous plague. For the people of this country Nature had been always very bountiful, sympathetic and supportive.

2. The two Generations.
===================
In a country’s history every thirty years a generation can be taken to have managed it. It has a sound logic too in this. A person’s most productive period is from when he is thirty years old until he reaches 60 years. Before he is thirty it is his formative years, when he takes the maximum from the society. After he is thirty he gives his maximum to the society. After sixty he lives off the good will until his call. India got its independence from the Britishers in August,1947 and became a republic with a constitution in January, 1950. So starting from 1950 we can say India has been managed by two generations of Indians. Those who were 30 years old when India became a republic on Jan 1950 have managed(1st generation) this country and all its affairs actively for thirty years upto 1980 and the next generation(2nd) has managed it from 1980 till 2010. Now that we are in 2014 we can take a look at the achievements and failings of these two generations by looking at the way the country has been managed so far. In determining generations there would be a lot of overlapping and we can ignore that for the present purpose. I intend to take the achievements and failures of these two generations in the next few posts. Members can join and supplement my effort by being supportive and critical. I do not intend to bring in any politics into this effort. I may not answer every criticism that comes my way because I may not be knowing how to counter it or because of the possibility that it may lead to unnecessary politics and argument. I look forward to a lively discussion here. Thanks.

Last edited:
Great topic - Looking forward to your next edition :)

While you do that I hope you will provide your definition for what would be called achievement and what would be called failure. In other words what are the criteria and metrics even if they are not always quantifiable...

High rise modern buildings glittering in the sunshine, shopping malls with latest collections of Gucci, Prada or Dior and showrooms full of Mercedes, BMWs and Audis -- India has come a long way since 1950. Its economy has recorded an average growth rate of 9 percent in recent years.

However, this impressive growth rate does not seem to have trickled down to people living in rural areas. India may have become a giant in the IT and telecommunication sectors, but the fact is that two thirds of its population remain fully dependent on agriculture.

Christian Wagner, an expert on India at the Berlin based German Institute for International and Security Affairs sees the increasing gap between rich and poor as one of the biggest challenges for the New Delhi government:
“India has definitely made economic progress in the past 60 years. But we should also see that in India, as per the international statistics, nearly 40 per cent of the population lives on less than one dollar a day. This means that the structures for the redistribution of wealth have not developed in a way they should in a democracy.”

Sociologist Yogendra Yadav agrees. However he believes that these social problems can only be tackled so long as people’s trust in the system is maintained.
“Republic means the rule of the people. In India, this is still a dream. And it will take a long time till this dream is realised, especially in a country, where you have poverty, hunger and where many people don’t really feel close to the government. But yes, there are some achievements of the country which cannot be ignored. For instance, the constitution is respected here till today after sixty years, the democracy is alive and people, more or less, trust the system.”

I have not Written about the two generation. This is the entire 60 years.
More than two generation it is two different philosophies.
The first 30 years was very idealistic times. India needed the infrastructure and basic needs in the first 30 years. The protection to indigenous industries, the framework for technical education like IIT etc was laid, in the world politics the idea of non-alinement was prominent. Not that all experiments worked, but it was the boring foundation that was needed.
The next 30 years were P. V. Narasimha Rao's pragmatism, slowly the liberalization of economy, and India's mature foreign policy of putting India first, has brought India as a power to recon with.

Of course there are problems, and there will always be some. India can improve very much, if the corruption can be controlled.

Please read the attached data:

Attachments

• planningcommission.nic.in_data_datatable_1612_table_3.pdf
    151.5 KB · Views: 117
I find these two terms highly confusing and open to interpretation and manipulation. 1. Base xxxx year (say 2004) and 2. Purchase price parity.

Dear Prasad and sarang:

My idea in giving the link to that data was only to show that we have been doing well as a nation. Now leaving aside the statistics and its lingo let us look at the data from another angle. Again I have taken the data from the RBI data base:

I observe these vital parameters are indicative:

1.Agricultural out put has been only growing. 2.67% in 2000 through 9.05%in 2004 to
3.65% in 2012.

2. Industry has been growing. 5.96% in 2000 through 9.81%in 2004 to 3.49%in 2012.

3. Services. 11.19% through 8.06% to 6.21%

4. GDP has been growing 7.59% in 2000 through 8.06 in 2004 to 6.21% in 2012.(at
2004-5 prices)

5. Capital formation % -- 25.3 in 2000, 34.65 in 2004, 35.40 in 2012.

6. Domestic Savings % -- 24.20, 32.41, 30.81

7. Exports(USD Billions) 37.50, 85.20, 309.80

8. Imports(USD Billions) 55.40,118.90, 499.50

9. Invisibles(USD Billions)13.70,31.20,111.60

10. Access to safe drinking water (from central supply or from bore pumps)
From 38.20% of population in 1981 to 85.50% of population in 2012(includes rural and urban).

If you go to the database you will find another striking fact. That China is the only nation which appears to have done better than India. Many European, South American and Asian nations are lagging behind us. Now I leave it to you to draw conclusions.

Last edited:

< contents edited to keep this post short >

In my personal view, we as a nation got our independence from British colonial rule, rather prematurely; the entire country, or, at least most parts thereof, and a high percentage of people, had not yet come out of their ages-long mindset, allegience to caste, religion. native state concept etc., and education was yet to start spreading. The first generation, obviously lived under the hope that our political leaders of those times would behave like blemish-free, benevolent, divine avataars and bestow all kinds of prosperity upon each one of the 35-crore Indians then and that the new government would be a "mai-baap" (mother & father) sarkaar and citizens have merely to look towards manna from this sarkar.

To a large extent Nehru's policies were well-tailored to these sorts of expectations, though, even within the first 30 years of Independent India, Indira Gandhi did call the bluff of our highly extolled democracy and showed how a President could turn it into a dictatorship through an absent-minded signature, even from his closet!

Population had increased by then to nearly double and though efforts were made to bring down the numbers, it showed the deep cleavage in this matter between the shrewd Muslims and gullible Hindus.

Emergency ended and democratic rule returned, limping, but nothing was to be even anywhere near the idealism of pre-independent india, anymore. Only thing we can now say about those olden days is the song—

"There was something in the air that night
The stars were bright, Fernando
They were shining there for you and me
For liberty, Fernando ..."

The second generation was born amid unprincipled politics, the undue power of money of both kinds ruling over the country and the beginnings of the rat race to emigration to the west, Australia, etc., in search of "roads paved with gold". The success of a microscopic few who came on vacation to flaunt their riches, only aggravated this "foreign" craze in all respects. Side by side, the notion of the earlier "mai-baap sarkar" got replaced by "making easy and effortless money abroad by hook or by crook" as the success mantra.

During the eighties the very young started courting the newly emerging computer technology studies in this country; many went abroad and caused the silicon valley to get established on a firm footing and be widely known as such. These youngsters also made fortunes - many of them, at least. Meanwhile, the country's agriculture came tumbling down and the services sector grew at an astounding rate. But the net result was that the country's coffers got empty because the foreign interests had shrewdly emptied it via the services sector. So, we had to pledge our gold and proselytize ourselves to the western concept of market driven (i.e., western-driven) economy.

Our second generation has no inkling of those pre-independence idealism, nor the patriotic "indianism" of pre-1991, in my opinion. This generation has grown on a certain crony "westernism", astutely engineered by an equally crony capitalism at the country level which has been followed studiously by our IMF-experienced PM and western-educated FM.

Last edited:
This is the essence of the big Indian dream. Where does it stand today? Six decades down the line, has it gone sour? Is the Indian Revolution over? Certainly, the child that was born in 1947 looked attractive and promising. The adult that has grown out of the child is often unmanageable and generally not half as attractive as the child. Will the young adult acquire a sense of restraint and responsibility? Only time will tell. In the meanwhile, the great Indian dream moves on.

Some dreamers are dead, some naysayers are not dead yet.
The road to republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back