• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Twin suicides rock IIT-Madras

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 suicides on same day looks horrendous! Are they related? Are our research scholars so much stressed...How about the housewife...Both are women ...Are there no other avenues for release of pent up emotions?

[h=1]Twin suicides rock IIT-Madras[/h]July 14, 2016 08:08

In two separate incidents, a research scholar and the wife of a professor, both from the Indian Institute of Technology-Madras, committed suicide on the campus on Wednesday.

Police sources said that P Maheswari (34), a post-doctoral research scholar in chemistry, was a resident of Puducherry. She was staying at the Sabarmati hostel on the campus. On Wednesday, around 4 pm, she was found hanging. Police sources said that she was married.

In another incident, G Vijayalakshmi(47), wife of Ganesan, a professor at the institute, was found hanging in their flat. The police are investigating. Both the bodies have been sent to the Government Royapettah hospital for post-mortem examination.

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...ck-iitmadras/da80d77783e4a9484cd843c863c9c7be

Getting a doctorate has been made a herculean task.

The research types have to attend pre PhD courses,take tutorials of their guides classes, do the personal dirty work of guides [like evaluating UG test papers,some even

do vegetable shopping for them]. They have to present their research work to others to take their inputs, Do a pre submission exercise and moderate their work if

needed,finaslly send the thesis. If it involves field work for data collection or lab work it puts a lot of pressure.they live in perpetual economic crisis with about 30k

maximum fellowship. Very few become academic staff at the end of PhD for which there is competition.Lucky few end up with Adhoc appointments as lecturers which

are renewed every three months.Most go thru a period of tension and hardship.

If they have personal problems [most get lonely and do not have a sex life] they end up with depression. Many would make love to a lamppost due to lack of

company.In campuses ,they are cut off from outside world. It is a jail with no future.

Even wives of academic staff face the loneliness issue. Husbands fully busy in department, these women have no outlets for occupying themselves if they are

housewives.

I am not surprised that some contemplate suicide.

hi

kind of depression every walk of life....some kind of attachment to spirituality may be helpful...i agreed.....when i was doing ph.d scholar in

delhi university......i heard about some horrible experiences of women ph.d scholars in campus....i dont know abt the truth....

Last edited:
Girl research scholars get periodically into difficulties with the guides.

Some change their guides midway when they find it difficult to manage

Many hang up and get married .

hi

many guides are having affair woman scholars in delhi university.....even they have to do household works of guides...

Getting a doctorate has been made a herculean task.

The research types have to attend pre PhD courses,take tutorials of their guides classes, do the personal dirty work of guides [like evaluating UG test papers,some even

do vegetable shopping for them]. They have to present their research work to others to take their inputs, Do a pre submission exercise and moderate their work if

needed,finaslly send the thesis. If it involves field work for data collection or lab work it puts a lot of pressure.they live in perpetual economic crisis with about 30k

maximum fellowship. Very few become academic staff at the end of PhD for which there is competition.Lucky few end up with Adhoc appointments as lecturers which

are renewed every three months.Most go thru a period of tension and hardship.

If they have personal problems [most get lonely and do not have a sex life] they end up with depression. Many would make love to a lamppost due to lack of

company.In campuses ,they are cut off from outside world. It is a jail with no future.

Even wives of academic staff face the loneliness issue. Husbands fully busy in department, these women have no outlets for occupying themselves if they are

housewives.

I am not surprised that some contemplate suicide.

An extreme view of the academic ambience.

2 suicides on same day looks horrendous! Are they related? Are our research scholars so much stressed...How about the housewife...Both are women ...Are there no other avenues for release of pent up emotions?

Twin suicides rock IIT-Madras

July 14, 2016 08:08

In two separate incidents, a research scholar and the wife of a professor, both from the Indian Institute of Technology-Madras, committed suicide on the campus on Wednesday.

Police sources said that P Maheswari (34), a post-doctoral research scholar in chemistry, was a resident of Puducherry. She was staying at the Sabarmati hostel on the campus. On Wednesday, around 4 pm, she was found hanging. Police sources said that she was married.

In another incident, G Vijayalakshmi(47), wife of Ganesan, a professor at the institute, was found hanging in their flat. The police are investigating. Both the bodies have been sent to the Government Royapettah hospital for post-mortem examination.

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...ck-iitmadras/da80d77783e4a9484cd843c863c9c7be

That the suicides happened in the IIT campus does not make IIT involved with these cases anyway. We need men and women to man the IIT because it is only an institution. People carry with them their life's experiences and each one carries a bundle of their past with them, wherever they go. So there is nothing to connect IIT with these unfortunate happenings.

That the suicides happened in the IIT campus does not make IIT involved with these cases anyway. We need men and women to man the IIT because it is only an institution. People carry with them their life's experiences and each one carries a bundle of their past with them, wherever they go. So there is nothing to connect IIT with these unfortunate happenings.

Why are so many suicides happening in IITM...There were 2 student suicides last year too...The pressure to perform is very high in IITM..Already there is a huge pressure on resources with doubling the intake of undergraduate students in the last 5 years

An extreme view of the academic ambience.
One can remain complacent ignoring ground realities.

I on a weekly basis meet at least 3 or 4 research types.

I know their sufferings.

I myself was a research scholar in IIT delhi.

My research scholarship was 300 pm.

For want of a decent job I lived on that dole.

So I understand the life of a research scholar in indian institutions.

I would not want it for any of my relations.

The reason for the housewife suicide is here..It has nothing to do with academic stress..May be the Professor could not manage the building tension at home:

சென்னை கிண்டியில் உள்ள ஐஐடியில் பேராசிரியராகப் பணியாற்றி வருபவர் கணேசன். இவர் ஐஐடி வளாகத்தில் உள்ள பேராசிரியர்கள் குடியிருப்பில் மனைவி, 2 மகன்களுடன் வசித்து வருகிறார். இவரது 2-வது மகன் சற்று மனநிலை சரியில்லாதவர் என்று கூறப்படுகிறது. பல இடங்களில் சிகிச்சை அளித்தும் அவரை குணப்படுத்த முடியவில்லை. அதனால் கணேசனும் அவரது மனைவி விஜயலட்சுமியும் மிகுந்த மனவேதனையில் இருந்துள்ளனர். இதுதொடர்பாக இருவருக்கும் இடையே அவ்வப்போது வாக்குவாதமும் நடந்துள்ளது.
இதனால் மன அழுத்தத்தில் இருந்த விஜயலட்சுமி (வயது 47) நேற்றிரவு வீட்டில் தூக்குப் போட்டு தற்கொலை செய்து கொண்டார். இதுகுறித்து தகவலறிந்த கோட்டூர்புரம் போலீஸார் சம்பவ இடத்துக்கு விரைந்து சென்று விஜயலட்சுமியின் உடலை கைப்பற்றி ராயப்பேட்டை அரசு மருத்துவமனைக்கு அனுப்பி வைத்தனர். இச்சம்பவம் குறித்து வழக்குப் பதிவு செய்த போலீஸார், விஜயலட்சுமி தற்கொலை செய்து கொண்டதற்கான காரணம் குறித்து அவரது குடும்பத்தினர் மற்றும் அக்கம்பக்கத்தினருடன் விசாரணை நடத்தி வருகின்றனர்.

http://tamil.thehindu.com/tamilnadu...ீவிர-விசாரணை/article8847380.ece?homepage=true

Note: no comments on the suicide since no one knows the reason now.

Below is just a ramble...

In institutions, any fun on the part of students is always seen as lack of academic seriousness. Maybe there are exceptions, but all the professors / lecturers during my college days were disapproving of teen fun. Maybe they were all uptight about morals, ethics etc. And then you had to have the appropriate reverence to the teaching faculty. Should you not exhibit the right signs of submissiveness, you had to be brash, uncouth and rebellious, and not worthy of academics. Fun was relegated to those boys of businessmen who had the dough coming in.

Teaching was all about the staff preaching and the students agreeing. Mostly, questions, arguments and discussions were brushed aside. They caused ego brushes. It was always "I know more than you".

But this is not a phenomena seen only in colleges. It starts from school. We are taught to "obey" rather than "think".... or "think" is always subject to "obey".

Why are so many suicides happening in IITM...There were 2 student suicides last year too...The pressure to perform is very high in IITM..Already there is a huge pressure on resources with doubling the intake of undergraduate students in the last 5 years
It is not pressure due to academics alone.

Most depend on seniors if they are students of various courses.

But teachers hanging a sword on the head with marks for sessionals decided on arbitrary basis, they can make or mar anyones career.

On the top of it reservation category , or those who have studied in regional languages face a uphill task.

I was plucked in one subject in an elite institution for organising mass bunking of class..The prof thought I was the ring leader.lol

We are turning out useless robots who mug and spit in exams.

Academically except the top 10% others are useless.

The IIT label helps them get a job later.

Most IITs have excellent placement cells.

Also final year is spent in getting out of the country for higher studies.

The junk gets left behind for PG and research.

The IIT label helps them get a job later.

Most IITs have excellent placement cells.

Also final year is spent in getting out of the country for higher studies.

The junk gets left behind for PG and research.

The boldened necessarily need not be true. An examination is only one way of evaluating a person's interest / excellence in a particular line of interest. It is not even a measure of his ability or usefulness or otherwise. This kind of stereotyping is what is the bane of the society now.

At IIT? No way...80% do very well..Most are very well placed...It is the bottom 10 to 20% that struggle..I know an IIT guy who got a CGPA of 7.0 but doing extremely well ,,I am talking about the undergraduates...As far as PG is concerned your statement could be true as these are the ones who do not get a good placement after studying in a local/regional college or they may want an IIT stamp..They give GATE & qualify for PG...The Companies do not prefer PG's as their QOM is generally considered lower....

At IIT? No way...80% do very well..Most are very well placed...It is the bottom 10 to 20% that struggle..I know an IIT guy who got a CGPA of 7.0 but doing extremely well ,,I am talking about the undergraduates...As far as PG is concerned your statement could be true as these are the ones who do not get a good placement after studying in a local/regional college or they may want an IIT stamp..They give GATE & qualify for PG...The Companies do not prefer PG's as their QOM is generally considered lower....
The 80% of IIT pass out who do well in jobs is because of what they learn after they leave IITs.

They have basic proficiency.

IIT has nothing much to do with their performance on the job.

It is just a label.

Regional college fellows can also do well if given an oppurtunity.

they get devalued because of bad college label

Regional college fellows can also do well if given an oppurtunity.

they get devalued because of bad college label

True..I found NIT chaps & BITS Mesra & Pilani guys doing generally well...Most who passout from Private colleges (generation that studied from 1985 onwards) prefer a PG in a foreign University..In theitr Linkedin profile they do not even mention about their undergraduation

True..I found NIT chaps & BITS Mesra & Pilani guys doing generally well...Most who passout from Private colleges (generation that studied from 1985 onwards) prefer a PG in a foreign University..In theitr Linkedin profile they do not even mention about their undergraduation
Even in jobs , there is discrimination in payments.
IIT guys are paid more than those from other colleges.

The payments are based on their brand value not on their professional worth.

True .

Only the starting salaries are higher for IIT'ians...As they grow higher they have to compete with one & all....I know a graduate (B.Sc) in a Bank who is the envy of IIT'ians & IIM folks as he is the Executive Vice President with sky high salary

Many students at PG and research levels get drawn into student movements.

It is true of places like JNU ,delhi univ.univ of hyderabad,jadhavpur and IIT madras.

There is a strong dalit community which spearheads movements against discrimination against dalits.

In these places some get into relationships with co students due to ideological attractions.

Those from disadvantaged communities like dalits,tribals,north east minority religion try to make common cause and fight the univ establishments over various issues

There is a running war between the univ authorities, Students affiliated to leftist parties and ruling party at the centre.

Academics take the back seat.

univ are turning into battlegrounds and stepping stone to positions in political parties.

Many leave without any academic degree.

That the suicides happened in the IIT campus is just a coincidence. Period.

A further reading of the news reports indicate that the two suicides happened for different family reasons of the c0oncerned two ladies.

If it is students committing suicide due to pressure of studies it is a different cup of tea.

My understanding of the problem is that the marks system which determines along with the coaching classes culture the admission to courses is the culprit. Marks and clearing the entrance exam are not the panacea for selecting the right student with the right aptitude for the various courses. There is much more to talent and intelligence. When all those who have gone through the sieves of these entrance tests join the classes and the classes start, many are finding themselves to be misfits. Their aptitude is not for academic rigour. And the pain of regret starts. Some carry on and just get through and some are unable to do that. They become keenly aware of their inadequacy and when the stress level crosses the breaking point commit suicide.

It is the relaxed criteria for reserved categories that hurt most . these are unable to cope.

second category is those who have studied in regional language as medium of instruction..

many state board students are unable to cope due to their lowered standards.

most do not make it to IIT unless they belong to reserved category.

inspite of orientation courses and extra help, they drop out after one year.

others get into trouble because of new freedom after school in IITs.

The extra curricular activities hurt the students.

Ultimately they become previous night preparing students for exams.

Mr. Vaagme/ Mr Krish 44 I really admire your typical knowledge about the latest situation obtained in IIT/M and your practical analysis should open the eyes of parents, wanting their wards to fly high , even with the Wings of an Eagle ? No regrets for them, I feel, because it is their creation, ( kannai thirandu konde, Kinatril Viluvadu )

Rishikesan ( A. Srinivasan)

To conclude that the academic environment in any place is the cause of suicides, one will need statistically significant number of events that supported by actual analysis (including letters if any left by those who killed themselves). Therefore it appears just a coincidence that two apparent suicides took place within the same area.

The real issue in most places is a culture that is not tolerant to addressing mental diseases.

Our mind is nothing but another organ or instrument. It is prone to issues but mental diseases that can often be treated if not cured are not reported because of the stigma attached to such issues in the society.

Perhaps the son of one of the women who committed suicides may have had mental disease. It is possible she may have had depression and other treatable diseases too.

Hope the attitudes towards mental diseases improve in our culture so that there is no stigma associated for seeking treatment

I always wonder how the persons, who are unable to deal with pressure in their lives, are able to kill themselves?

Does it not need abundance of courage, even if it is momentary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back