• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Trying to learn Vedanta/Sanskrit/Jyotisham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I am a simple 36 year old tamil brahmin man (thenkalai) who has recently moved back to india after 5 years in the USA and 5 years in Singapore. I am blissfully single.. and working as a manager in coimbatore. Of course my parents are looking for a girl but they are not successful because I am bald. yup. bald.

Now.. coming to why I am typing this up.

I have a lot of interest in our theology and would like to learn more. I believed that the first step was to somehow learn sanskrit with which, I could atleast try to read the bhagavad gita. I have not been successful to a great extent there. But when I was in Singapore, I did try to get in touch with Ramakrishna Mission to attend the sanskrit classes they have there. I did learn the very very basics of sanskrit there but could not get the sentence formation part due to job.

I am also trying to see if I can learn jyotisha.. Now. I know that there are numerous websites and articles that teach jyotish out there on the web. But to be realistic reading on my own is not my forte. So I am looking for a class where they teach jyotish or jadhagam.

Currently I am working in Coimbatore and come home to triplicane every weekend. I would be very happy if someone could suggest weekend classes in Sanskrit/Jyotisham in and around triplicane/mylapore area.

I am also interested in vedantam. Not in the normal upanyasams of our ramayanam, thirupaavai, etc.. but in areas like sribhashyam and other concepts that are closer to our understanding of our own theology.

It would be great if someone could point me to a guru (sort of) under whom I could learn these things.. vedanta, sanskrit, jyotisham.. But if you too have similar interests and dont know where to go.. I would like to hear from you also. . Do feel free to get in touch. In the insanely rare case that you are an interested female looking for a husband.. do let me know too ;)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Krishnan Ji,

Hi..welcome to Forum.

Get in touch with Samskrita Bharati in your area in TN.

Samskrita Bharati has wonderful self study books and they also sell books from Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan New Delhi which makes self study entirely possible.

By using all these books I self studied Sanskrit when I was 37 yrs old...a that time I did not even know the Devanagari script and with the help of these books I was doing fine within 6 months of self study.

So believe me its entirely possible to self study BUT one needs to be devoted to study..set aside at least 1 hour a day to study without fail.

But if you want to join classes you can also do in Samskrita Bharati cos they conduct conversational classes too and also have a 2 yr course with exams every 6 months and coaching for that too.

I sat for exams in India once and the rest online cos I reside outside of India.

The study material from Samskrita Bharati is very good for a beginner and its not long winded like most other books.

Its direct to the point.

Also tips for you to pick up Sanskrit faster.

Translate all known simple Mantras and Ashtakams...go online look for sites that have translations and pick up meaning of words.

Then whatever you do make sure you try to reproduce it by memory...then write down also from memory to make sure data is stored in our brain.

These days since we can store anything online in smartphone etc..mostly humans are not storing anything in their brain..this is where memory power goes down and mostly cant recall what they had studied as well.

A mind of a child is like a sponge it sucks up info..but learning a new language as an adult can be a bit challenging cos we are older sponges!LOL

So that is why you need to get into the habit of learning to speak simple phrases in Sanskrit on and off..start with a few words.

Also a grave mistake people make is when learning a new language is trying to think in their mother tongue and then translate it to the new language.

Do not do that...Learn Sanskrit as Sanskrit...follow the grammar structure of it...its very arranged and systematic.

Hope you can get in touch with Samskrita Bharati soon..they have conversational camps too from time to time.

hi

try to contact nearest BHARATIYA VIDYA BHAVAN.....in chennai mylapore...they teach all the three...

Dear Renuka.. thanks for your suggestion.. I did that only and tried to learn from samskrita bharathi books.. but work always comes in the way and before you know it.. its already one month since you touched the books.. after that.. it is hard to start all over again.. but lets see..

Thanks,
Krishnan.

Dear Krishnan Ji,

Hi..welcome to Forum.

Get in touch with Samskrita Bharati in your area in TN.

Samskrita Bharati has wonderful self study books and they also sell books from Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan New Delhi which makes self study entirely possible.

By using all these books I self studied Sanskrit when I was 37 yrs old...a that time I did not even know the Devanagari script and with the help of these books I was doing fine within 6 months of self study.

So believe me its entirely possible to self study BUT one needs to be devoted to study..set aside at least 1 hour a day to study without fail.

But if you want to join classes you can also do in Samskrita Bharati cos they conduct conversational classes too and also have a 2 yr course with exams every 6 months and coaching for that too.

I sat for exams in India once and the rest online cos I reside outside of India.

The study material from Samskrita Bharati is very good for a beginner and its not long winded like most other books.

Its direct to the point.

Also tips for you to pick up Sanskrit faster.

Translate all known simple Mantras and Ashtakams...go online look for sites that have translations and pick up meaning of words.

Then whatever you do make sure you try to reproduce it by memory...then write down also from memory to make sure data is stored in our brain.

These days since we can store anything online in smartphone etc..mostly humans are not storing anything in their brain..this is where memory power goes down and mostly cant recall what they had studied as well.

A mind of a child is like a sponge it sucks up info..but learning a new language as an adult can be a bit challenging cos we are older sponges!LOL

So that is why you need to get into the habit of learning to speak simple phrases in Sanskrit on and off..start with a few words.

Also a grave mistake people make is when learning a new language is trying to think in their mother tongue and then translate it to the new language.

Do not do that...Learn Sanskrit as Sanskrit...follow the grammar structure of it...its very arranged and systematic.

Hope you can get in touch with Samskrita Bharati soon..they have conversational camps too from time to time.

Hello TBS,

Their website does not say that they teach vedanta or jyotisham.. but let me contact them and see.

Thanks,
Krishnan

hi

try to contact nearest BHARATIYA VIDYA BHAVAN.....in chennai mylapore...they teach all the three...

I found that sanskrit college in mylapore helps with sanskrit classes. They are starting a 6 month weekend certificate course from Aug 20th.. Aug 15th is the inauguration..

Let me go and see.

Distance education program of Sastra University,Trichi in Jyotisham is the best option for you to learn astrology. The admission I think are goning on now for the current year and you will have to really hurry up in case you have real interest. As regards to Sanskrit, I think Renuka's suggestion is best one or you can try BHU or Osmania university, HYbd for distant learning.

Sanskrit is required only to read the original Vedas in the native script. Vedanta is merely a collective term referring to the "Philosophy of the Vedas". This philosophy has been written by several authors in English. It can be very confusing and full of contradictions by various authors. So I would be careful and not get muddled. The best way is to attend Upanyasam by Vedic Scholars and then combine that with reading books on Vedic Philospohy by renowned authors. You can start with our former President Dr. S. Radhakrishnan's writings on Hindu Philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back