• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Trying to find my roots and ancestral village

dhruv1711

Hello all,

I have always been interested in my family tree and ancestry, and used to hear a lot of stories from grandfather as a kid. However, now when I am older and abroad, and with my grandfather also very old and forgetful, finding time and information to do so is very difficult. Hence, I turn to this forum to seek help from learned people on how to go about doing so.
Our family name is Kandaday, but when I searched about this name, I could only find sources related to Srivaishnavas. However, our family is Vadama Iyer. This is a paradox that I need someone to explain to me.
My grandfather used to say that our ancestral village was a place called Damal in Chengalpet. Maybe this would ring a bell to some?
My great-grandfather was a lawyer first in Madurai and then in Coimbatore, so the only 'family home' we have now is in Coimbatore.
On the other hand, on my grandfather's mother's side, I apparently had a great-great-grandfather named Kuppusamy Iyer, whose translation of the Bhagavad Gita was quite famous (https://mohanaranganv.blogspot.com/2020/02/vedanta-in-tamil-coimbatore-v.html )

This is probably too much information, but if anyone can help with some of my queries above I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Dhruv

Latest ads

Back