• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

True secularism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kerala ia often touted as a truly secular state. Here is proof:

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...ne-registration-for-disha/article17399240.ece

KERALA Online registration for Disha

The second phase of online registration for Disha 2017, the government’s programme for financing aspirant entrepreneurs belonging to the Other Backward Communities and religious minorities, has begun.

Applicants should be in the age group of 18 to 55 years. For the OBC category, the annual family income of the applicant has to be less than Rs. 98,000 in rural areas and Rs. 1,20,000 in urban areas.

For the minority groups, including Muslims and Christians, the income ceiling is Rs. 6 lakh. OBC applicants will receive loans up to Rs. 10 lakh and minority groups will receive up to Rs. 30 lakh, at a rate of interest between 6 to 8%.

Registration can be done onksbcdc.comuntil April 15. Disha 2017 entrepreneur’s workshop will be held on April 29.

So you see the definition of poverty itself changes based on religion.

All are equal but some people are more equal than others.

And this in a state where the percentage of muslims + christians population is in the high 40s and are not truly minorities at all.

You won't see any opeds criticizing such blatant discrimination by the govt. Policies favoring so called minorities are becoming quite common and they have become a special group with benefits almost on par with backward classes (or better as in this case) and dalits. This is secularism but TRS donating 5 Crs to TTD is communalism even though the govt draws much more in return from TTD coffers.

Better to shout Hallelujah instead of Chanting Namo Narayanaya!!

The Muslim groups in Tamil Nadu have become very arrogant of late with continuous flow of gulf money! They join hands with anti national forces and try to sabotage the Central Government!! Even JJ who was seen as a tough fighter could not do anything when the Muslim groups went berserk in Chennai protesting against the US High Commission in Chennai!! Earlier they used to adopt covert methods to fan communalism and secessionism! Now their methodology is being overt & they do not fear for anyone! They think all rulers are their slaves!! They only fear our PM Modi!! Let us support our PM to vanquish these anti national forces!! (I am not a member of BJP, but only a nationalist)

hi

the problem with the word SECULAR ITSELF....the country is based on majorities and minorities....there are reservation based

caste/religion...the minority commission...wakf board for imams...personal law for muslims...dalits having different..backward/

most backward /SC/ST ETC...so much divisions given by the govt...so SECULARISM will not work in reality...may be in

law books...not in practical...

Does the Indian constitution permit this? I am surprised that such open discrimination based on religion is allowed to continue.

Muslims and Christians are not really minorities because they are two of the largest religions in the world. They have enormous power of money that they use to convert others. This is all known and I am surprised how this kind of open discrimination of all others is allowed to continue. Perhaps I am naive about my understanding of Indian politics

The Muslim groups in Tamil Nadu have become very arrogant of late with continuous flow of gulf money! They join hands with anti national forces and try to sabotage the Central Government!! Even JJ who was seen as a tough fighter could not do anything when the Muslim groups went berserk in Chennai protesting against the US High Commission in Chennai!! Earlier they used to adopt covert methods to fan communalism and secessionism! Now their methodology is being overt & they do not fear for anyone! They think all rulers are their slaves!! They only fear our PM Modi!! Let us support our PM to vanquish these anti national forces!! (I am not a member of BJP, but only a nationalist)

Vganeji,

I appreciate your reply and even though you are making an important point I would like the thread to be about discriminatory policies of the various govts and do not want the thread derailed with a commentary on the minority communities themselves.

What has Modi or BJP done to stop blatant discrimination against hindus? In fact, BJP has been dutifully following all the communal schemes favoring minorities started by the erstwhile UPA govt. BJP/Modi does not seem to have a clue. Of course, non BJP states such as Kerala or Telengana are worse.

We are seeing so much criticism of Trump here. But does Trump advocate such discrimination based on religion? USA even under Trump is much more secular than India was under UPA and even India under BJP. Yet we see nary a criticism about any of these communal schemes. So communalism is okay as long as it favors muslims and christians? What I showed is only one scheme. There are any number of govt schemes that discriminate against a person only because he is a pagan hindu and I repeat BJP who said "sabkaa saath sabkaa vikas" has done absolutely nothing. It is not even able to start a discourse on any of these things.

If there is any group of population that is truly a minority it is the brahmin community. Their faith, their rituals, their way of life, their value system, even their language and practices, their dress and every thing that marks a community distinct from its surroundings are all unique. They are a miniscule micro minority in the Hindu population. It is this minority that needs careful protection by the majority. Unfortunately this has not happened. The very definition of minorities in India has been restricted to religion calling it the religious minority. What about the social minority? I wish some one files a PIL in supreme court to get the brahmins declared a minority. The Constitution need not give us reservation but at least other privileges can be given as a matter of right for the minority community.

Does the Indian constitution permit this? I am surprised that such open discrimination based on religion is allowed to continue.

TKSji,

First of all the Indian Constitution is not treated as Sacrosanct as it is treated in other responsible democracies. It might be worthwhile for you to consider the number of times Constitution has been amended in India and compare it against say a country like US.

Anyway the relevant article is article 15.

15. Prohibition of discrimination on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth(1)[FONT=georgia, sans-serif] The State shall not discriminate against any citizen on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them
[/FONT]

But this portion is rendered irrelevant when the state added an exemption in 15(4).

(4) Nothing in this article or in clause ( 2 ) of Article 29 shall prevent the State from making any special provision for the advancement of any socially and educationally backward classes of citizens or for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes

Originally this exemption was intended for SCs and STs only, because they did need special privileges. This was and is still the basis for continuing caste based reservations in India. However later backward classes were added to the list and I have argued here many times how suspect the classification of many castes as backward classes actually is. The latest game plan is to somehow add religious minorities also to this list. This is almost certain to happen if BJP loses the next election, which is also highly likely. The thing is many muslim and christian communities are also classified as backward in many states. So they get their pie both ways - backward classes and minorities.

You can also refer to articles 29 and 30 of the Indian constitution which are again widely misused to accord special privileges to religious minorities.

Muslims and Christians are not really minorities because they are two of the largest religions in the world. They have enormous power of money that they use to convert others. This is all known and I am surprised how this kind of open discrimination of all others is allowed to continue. Perhaps I am naive about my understanding of Indian politics

Actually even if we consider as the percentage of population as the only marker, it is absurd to give these special privileges in states like Kerala where their population is significant.

You won't hear any of these in newyork times or washington post or any other US editorials. They hide these facts and show India as some sort of hindu fascist country. What a travesty!

If there is any group of population that is truly a minority it is the brahmin community. Their faith, their rituals, their way of life, their value system, even their language and practices, their dress and every thing that marks a community distinct from its surroundings are all unique. They are a miniscule micro minority in the Hindu population. It is this minority that needs careful protection by the majority. Unfortunately this has not happened. The very definition of minorities in India has been restricted to religion calling it the religious minority. What about the social minority? I wish some one files a PIL in supreme court to get the brahmins declared a minority. The Constitution need not give us reservation but at least other privileges can be given as a matter of right for the minority community.

Every caste can claim that their culture is unique and hence they are actually a minority. What is needed is no special privileges for anyone. But we are far from achieving it.

Please read this article that covers important points related to politics of minorityism in India.

http://www.hindupost.in/politics/st...ions-states-bharat-non-hindu-majority-part-1/

Not only the so called minority religions are preferentially treated, the same benefits are not even extended to hindus in regions or states where the hindus are in a minority.

While the courts have decided that the community to be protected as a minority must be decided at State level, wherever in Bharat the Hindus are in a minority, no such protection or freedom for their establishments has been extended to them. Not even in a single state of the seven states and one union territory where Hindus are in a minority do they enjoy these protections that the global predatory religions get when they are in minority.

Also see the part on minority concentration districts. How outrageous? The state allocates separate budget for regions where "minority" is in majority or the "minority" exceeds a certain percentage of population. In layman terms, this means better roads or better govt hospitals or better educational facilities in regions where the "minority" is not even an insignificant minority! Basically outright communal preference.

This is the current status of secularism in India. Secularism is completely anti-hindu in character.

This will never happen in the US, at least not in the foreseeable future.

The Catholics or Jews won't have spent special privileges that are NOT given to protestants, for example.

Despite all this, we see opeds day in and day out on how India ill-treats muslims and christians, how India is curbing religious freedom of non-hindus etc etc and we have non-stop copy pasting of such prejudicial and propaganda articles here. What a pity!

Another one. This is in West Bengal!

https://swarajyamag.com/politics/mi...gals-witch-hunt-against-vidya-bharati-schools

On one hand the WB govt allocates huge funds to madarasas which are also religious schools but it slaps such notices on schools run by hindu institutions even those that teach secular courses under dubious pretexts.

What is the fundamental difference? The constitutional protection that is available for "minority" institutions is being denied to the hindus. It is a blatant misuse of articles 29 and 30. There is no parallel for this in any country.

It also serves as an example why demographics does not matter much if there is no political power. Bengal's CM is Banerjee. The CPM guy who complained about hindu schools is a Mukerji and the education minister issuing notices is Chatterjee. All of these people have hindu sounding names but the caveat is they are hindu only legally. They are so called rationalists; that they act as viciously as any anti-hindu is the reason behind calls for excommunicating them from the hindu fold.

கால பைரவன்;376890 said:
Vganeji,

I appreciate your reply and even though you are making an important point I would like the thread to be about discriminatory policies of the various govts and do not want the thread derailed with a commentary on the minority communities themselves.

What has Modi or BJP done to stop blatant discrimination against hindus? In fact, BJP has been dutifully following all the communal schemes favoring minorities started by the erstwhile UPA govt. BJP/Modi does not seem to have a clue. Of course, non BJP states such as Kerala or Telengana are worse.

We are seeing so much criticism of Trump here. But does Trump advocate such discrimination based on religion? USA even under Trump is much more secular than India was under UPA and even India under BJP. Yet we see nary a criticism about any of these communal schemes. So communalism is okay as long as it favors muslims and christians? What I showed is only one scheme. There are any number of govt schemes that discriminate against a person only because he is a pagan hindu and I repeat BJP who said "sabkaa saath sabkaa vikas" has done absolutely nothing. It is not even able to start a discourse on any of these things.

I agree with your point. Religion should not be a point of consideration in any private or public policy.
I also agree that quota based on caste, religion, and region should be removed. Yes I too have this peeve against BJP, that they are just rebranded UPA.

This is probably becoming boring to members here as these posts are becoming repetitive but just wanted to point out a couple of points here.

First, recently KCR's name was in the news. He was criticized for donating 5Cr from govt exchequer to Thirupathi temple. Some NGO even filed cases against him. He was accused of being communal. But the same mainstream media has not really commented on any of the above sectarian schemes that run into 1000s of crores. Because this is "policy" and the former is considered a whim. Any communal behavior is fine as long as it is a "policy".

கால பைரவன்;379055 said:
But the same mainstream media has not really commented on any of the above sectarian schemes that run into 1000s of crores.

Sir,

You are right.

I am just reproducing a C n P posting of mine which was posted in another thread for attention of a member who writes with bias IMHO.

Here it is and supports your point:

Why are the Indian Media and Intellectuals anti-Hindu?

BY MANAS / OPINIONS / 28 MAR 2016

Indian media though shouts and cringes on slight vibration is simply cowardly west worshiping and nation hating. Looking at the different reports ranging from white lies and imagined truths the media clearly has shown one trait time and often. Any atrocity where Hindus or Hindu is a victim is down played under reported or not reported at all.

On the other hand when the victim belongs to another religion the atrocities are even imagined and even a horse gets a hero status if it can be used to attack BJP or Narendra Modi.

Even if we say that BJP is a pro-Hindu party, why do these media men women take pride in demeaning and demonizing a major chunk of population in India? It is a serious question that these so called bearers of Truth need to be asked: “Why does an injury to horse which was used by Police to crush a protest from BJP workers seems somehow more important and worthy of attention than the killing of a Hindu in Kerala on the same day?”

There are no debates oped and edit columns seen when these incidents happen where the victims are Hindu. what do these media houses think there duty is to tarnish the image of the country and make the majority Hindus demonized creatures throughout the world like Jews have been made in the Islamic world? Even in International media, there is no outrage when a Jew is attacked or stabbed in Germany for something that has happened in Iraq or Syria or Palestine.

Returning to our topic regarding Indian media, it’s mission nowadays seems to be to demonize Hindus and thereby create an impression that India today under Modi is like Iran where no one is allowed to raise his voice.

But let us have a look at the facts. Dadri incident happened where a personal scuffle resulted in death of one Ikhlaq and Media was quick to add beef to it.

Every week there is a news mostly from Kerala where Hindus are hacked to death mercilessly either allegedly by communist activists or Muslim fundamentals. If we look at the coverage that media gives to these incidents one is forced to admit that they treat these murders as less important than the injury to a police horse.

To add salt to the injury, these same media men and women go on painting Hindu organizations as intolerant violent and some politicians and some self styled intellectuals equate them with barbaric and savage ISIS people.

This is an irony people from Hindu organizations are killed with impunity even the protest marches are attacked and the media and these so called intellectuals label Hindus as intolerant and violent.

Read more at: http://myvoice.opindia.com/2016/03/why-are-the-indian-media-and-intellectuals-anti-hindu/

P.S: The message besides vidindicating your point speaks volume on the media painting Hindu Organisations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back