• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thread on threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also observed certain people deliberately trying to deviate from the main topic and create confusion in the threads and the forum.

After the success of chain of Naveenaswayamvaram events, few old members who are in the forum may think that organisers of Naveenaswayamvaram are trying hijack the forum. Naveenaswayamvaram is just a social event of our community members and most of the participants are not even members of our forum. The ratio of online registration to spot registration will speak the truth (approx 1 :4 ). In only proves that most of the participants are not computer or internet savvy. We all have enough work outside this forum and nobody needs to have an iota of doubt that we are attempting to hijack the forum. On the contrary Swayamvaram events helps exposure of our forum among our community members and will definitely bring more local members to our forum.

Both Praveen and Swaminatha Sharma had threatening calls recently. Inside the forum also just a very small section of members are deliberately creating confusions during discussions and calling me as by names. Personally I am involved with some social work within my limitations involving all religion, language, caste race etc. Personally I follow Mahatma Gandhi's principle of secularism and non-violence. However when I come to this forum, I want to do some service to our own community members and it doesn't mean the organizers are against any other community.

I fully endorse that everybody observes self discipline and contribute positively to the society. Otherwise this forum will become a place for `விதண்டா வாதம்' and `வெட்டி பேச்சு'

All the best

I also observed certain people deliberately trying to deviate from the main topic and create confusion in the threads and the forum.

After the success of chain of Naveenaswayamvaram events, few old members who are in the forum may think that organisers of Naveenaswayamvaram are trying hijack the forum. Naveenaswayamvaram is just a social event of our community members and most of the participants are not even members of our forum. The ratio of online registration to spot registration will speak the truth (approx 1 :4 ). In only proves that most of the participants are not computer or internet savvy. We all have enough work outside this forum and nobody needs to have an iota of doubt that we are attempting to hijack the forum. On the contrary Swayamvaram events helps exposure of our forum among our community members and will definitely bring more local members to our forum.

Both Praveen and Swaminatha Sharma had threatening calls recently. Inside the forum also just a very small section of members are deliberately creating confusions during discussions and calling me as by names. Personally I am involved with some social work within my limitations involving all religion, language, caste race etc. Personally I follow Mahatma Gandhi's principle of secularism and non-violence. However when I come to this forum, I want to do some service to our own community members and it doesn't mean the organizers are against any other community.

I fully endorse that everybody observes self discipline and contribute positively to the society. Otherwise this forum will become a place for `விதண்டா வாதம்' and `வெட்டி பேச்சு'

All the best

rvr,

with due respects and as an admirer of yours, i do not find the relevancy of this note above to krsubra's observation about hijacking of threads.

to the best of my knowledge, you yourself have been meticulous in maintaining integrity of threads, whatever it may mean.

krsubra, maybe it is time to institute a 'thread police'? these should be without powers to enforce, but can point out instances where threads are being hijacked by supposed pokkiri fellows with their own agenda.

i myself have not observed any such hijacking, but you, swami etc appear to have keen sense of observation, which i admire and am in awe. perhaps i am deep into the trees here, while you guys hover above and are able to see the forest as a whole?

'thread police'!!

i think the time has come :)

Sri.KR Subramaniyan said:-

Of late i find that many threads while progressing are getting diverted from the main subject.
Sir, Greetings. If you find any member diverting from the main topic in a thread, you may use the smilie like this - :focus:. Or alternatively, you could ask that particular member to stay on the subject. In my humble opinion, complaining about it in a thread may not be very helpful to the cause.

Also some are getting to the level (up or down) of expressing members proficiency in colloquial language.
What is the meaning of 'getting to the level (up or down)? I am not able to follow. Occasinally I use 'Chennai Tamizh' while talking to selected members; it is not to show my profeciency, but, it is my language. I just speak in my language. It is also Tamizh; my write ups in Chennai Tamizh are as decent as any other messages I post in English. Now, what is colloquial? Let us see Tamizh in different scnarios....

This is Tamizh ...YouTube - Kattabomman instructions to prepare for war

So is this.....YouTube - Sathileelavathi - Kovai Sarala slang

And this.....YouTube - vasool raja comedy #1

When it comes to songs, some samples in Tamizh are...

this....YouTube - Aduthathu Ambujatha Paathela - Sawcar Janaki & Sridhar - Edhir Neechal

to this.... YouTube - Sivaji Ganesan - Sinthanai Sei Maname - Ambikapathi

to this ..... YouTube - Rajnikanth in Sri Raghavendra - Rama Naamam Oruvedame

to this.... YouTube - A SONG BY ARUNAGIRINATHAR

So, what is colloquial? Sir, if anyone likes a translation of Chennai Tamizh into usual Tamizh, i am more than happy to do it. However, I wish to talk in my language every now and again.

Cheers!

I don't think so. The sentence continues to complain about colloquial language. I have not seen any colloquial language from you....I love to write in that...sing in that..that reminds me this song....

YouTube - ?????? - ?? ??????????

And our conversation is the example of hijacking a thread!:evil:

Cheers!

i think krsubra does not like my way of inventing new words in english, by chaining two or three words together, the german way.

he is finnicky about it.

also, since he can be the first member of the thread police, he should reprimand you for hijacking this thread. :)

also, it might upset our dear rvr.. are we indulging in விதண்டா வாதம்' and `வெட்டி பேச்சு' by penning this?

btw did you get a chance to get in touch with my friend in sydney?

I have also used colloquial language occasionally. Let me control the same in the future.

All the best

The language is essentially a medium of communication It should be effective with out ambiguity. Colloquial, High literary மணிப்பரவாளம் all fine It should not be offensive or vulgar . Word மணிப்பரவாளம் is used as such here since there no effective single English word for that expression. Of course this could be typed in English alphabets Or I can say that "Way of expression with words from different languages" which I think is futile . Call a pen a pen instead of saying a instrument for writing .:director: Jambu

I have also used colloquial language occasionally. Let me control the same in the future.

All the best

Sri.RVR,

Greetings. You almost sound as if you regret using colloquial language. What is wrong in using colloquial language? Possibly, the original author of this thread may be making his conversations in colloquial language; I seldom see someone who talks grammetical Tamizh in everyday life (I recall one charecter in the movie 'Arunachalam' made conversations like that). With due respect to your opinions, I have to object to your message quoted above, please.

Cheers!

Dear Friends,
Of late i find that many threads while progressing are getting diverted from the main subject. Also some are getting to the level (up or down) of expressing members proficiency in colloquial language. It would be better if we discipline ourselves to the point.
This is my opinion as of this date this time.

நண்பரே
கொச்சை மொழி மேல் ஏன் இந்த வெறுப்பு ?குற்றம் என்ன கண்டீர் ?
சொற்குற்றமா ? பொருள்குற்றமா ? மொழி கொச்சையன்றி பச்சையில்லயே ! கொடுமையில்லையே ! மொழிக்கென்ன வேலி? கட்டுப்பாடு ? வர்டா -- ஜம்பு :madgrin:

Last edited:
very interesting the way this thread is flowing!!

what i am surprised is so many members suddenly falling in line to avoid colloqialism.

communication is a two way process - the net result should be that the person who is being addressed to, understands the message coming to him in the same manner as to what it is intended. the only way this can be verified, is by the receiver repeating the message back to the originator.

so far, as i am concerned, if i do not like a genre of communication, i avoid it, rather than initiating a campaign against it to be banned. others, more purist in their attitude, appear to think otherwise.

of all the modes of communication here, the one that i find most difficult to decipher, is when someone writes tamil in roman script. it makes very rough and heavy reading. now, if only there is a movement to ban such mode........ :)

Related deviation and detour will be there in any subjects, that is inevitable and healthy also .how to control that too in the fourms. more over that will analyse the matter more clearly and it will strengthen the debate.

colloquial language, ie local tamil slang or brahmin tamizh

Why not point out those who are deviating from thread topic, as well as those who use colloquial language/s, give three warnings and then ban them for ever?

Tamil is a live vibrant language each district has distinct flavor and dialect. Some times they express the concept beautifully it wont be possible to erase that expression from public mind More over using any other word would be under statement or description. Few examples வாழைத்தண்டு விளக்கு This word was coined and used by தமிழ் வாணன் in சங்கர்லால் series to describe Tube Light another similar word was தோங்காய் பூ துவாலை for Turkish bath Towel. யான பாதை for ramp There is a bus stop called யான குழாய் stop. you can see obviously the reason for this all Similarly ஊசி கோபுரம் in Tirunelveli . Do you want these words to be avoided since they do not confirm with traditional Tamil words ? Jambu:blabla:

Last edited:
Why not point out those who are deviating from thread topic, as well as those who use colloquial language/s, give three warnings and then ban them for ever?

surely you jest dear sangom!!

i think we have more serious reasons to ban a person than using colloquialism.

if someone veers away from the thread topic, if there is no reply, the thread will either die or revert to its original purpose.

many a time, one arguement leads to another, and often that is how, i think topics are veered. but so what? it is a big world, and let us be more accommodating of our deviations :)

Dear Sri Jambunathan,

Since some members were coming down heavily on the two counts of deviating from the thread, and using colloquial language, and since I got a feeling that they must be having the authority to say so and impose the ruling, I thought I would at least plead for overlooking two lapses.

I fully agree that தமிழ் has its beauty and since we are now calling ourselves TBs, we should preferably use தமிழ் as much as possible, so long as our members are able to follow it. But this may pose problems if we have non-Tamizh members.

Dear Sri Jambunathan,

Since some members were coming down heavily on the two counts of deviating from the thread, and using colloquial language, and since I got a feeling that they must be having the authority to say so and impose the ruling, I thought I would at least plead for overlooking two lapses.
it. QUOTE]

sangom,

praveen is the owner of this forum. he has the ultimate authority. he is a sweet guy with a large heart for ambience and tolerance.

silver fox, moderator #1, from what i know has grey hair. he is not as foxy as his nomenclature proclaims. he is just and often when provoked gives sufficient warnings.

the new moderator is so low keyed, i keep forgetting his name.

only the moderators have authority to reprimand and ban. all others are equals like you and me.

namaste everyone.

If this is a forum for Tamizh brahmins, why can't we use Tamizh, both literary and colloquial, as the occasion suits? And while we use Tamizh text, using the Roman script is difficult to decipher as shrI Kunjuppu says, but I think we can use the ITRANS or Baraha script instead, with or without the addition in original Tamizh.

Fortunately, colloquialism in literary Tamizh has not gone to the level of vulgarity of colloquialism in Tamizh cinema. I think we better avoid the colloquialism of Tamizh cinema in literary Tamizh.

Talking of colloquialism, the British English stays decent despite its many dialects in Great Britain, but then the Americans seem to take pride in using vulgur colloquialism as their daily, cinematic and literary English. Phrases like 'bang for the buck' are used even by the US President and Senators freely; and for the Hollywood persona their whole language of conversational and literary expression seems to comprises only phrases based on human excreta and genitals.

Although there are over 9,000 members here in TBF, only 10% of them are active, and there again, I guess a good number of the active members might not know Tamizh. Therefore, I feel, that we need to give English translations of key Tamizh text we use in our messages.

sai,

i agree with the tone of your post.

if i remember right, there was a ban on tamil postings, but i do not think this is enforced now.

personally i have no problem with tamil or english posts. i think, for those who do not know tamil, the poster can provide with a translation if requested by somebody. translations, very seldom, has the zing of the originals, i think.

i do wish people will not post tamil or hindi, in english script, as for tamil, i find it difficult to decipher, for hindi - i do not know the language. if i am sufficiently intrigued, i have asked for a translation, and i have found that the posters have always obliged me.

i think we should keep this at the low level among us, and resolve language related issues based on the merit of each posting.

Respectable members,

Some of us have contributed to this discussion started by one of the members. Interestingly enough, that member has chosen not to take part in further conversations. In post #1 he/she mentioned this -

This is my opinion as of this date this time.

This was posted on 10th June. It is quite possible, he/she had changed his/her opinion after 30 minutes of starting this thread. So, this discussion we had may not have any relevancy at all, since the person who started the thread had nothing further to say in the way of a healthy discussion. By the way, we have too many such threads in this forum which were not followed up by the original author; this thread seems to be one of them.

I presented my suggestions and arguments in the very early posts. Unless this thread is followed up by the original author, I may not tend to treat this thread with relevancy. So, I refrain from making any further discussions or debates with the contributors like Sri.RVR, Sri.Dr.Jambunathar, Sri.Sangom, Sri.Kunjuppu Sri.Saidevo and others. In the meantime, in my opinion, in this Tamil Brahmin forum, just like any type of caste brahmin's needs and grivances are up held, so would be the use of any type of Tamil may be accepted provided a decorum is maintained and the translation would be made available on request.

Cheers!

Dear friends,
First of all regret for not replying immediately. One of the reason is the monsoon in Kerala which has adversely affected my system. Another there were two points in my thread. 1. Deviating from the subject. 2 colloquel tamil. Nothing was mentioned of the first except for one or two. second point was taken and members divided themselves on the same. I have no intention to underrate tamil or undermine collequel language. But usage of the same at inappropriate thread and following the same by others and deviating from the original thread only caused concern. Nothing mentioned was personal and if it had hurted anybody i appologise for the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back