• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Think or sink!

A proverb a day to brighten the day.

346a. Dehnen Sie Ihr Glück nicht zu sehr aus. Alles hat seine Elastizitätsgrenze

346b. Do not stretch your luck too much. Everything has its elastic limit.

A cat has nine lives but it had better not try its luck hoping for a tenth life!
Luck accommodates all our action to a certain limit but not beyond that!

footnotes:
Sie = You
nicht = do not

Dehnen aus = Stretch out
Ihr = your
Glück = luck
zu = too
sehr = much.
Alles = Everything
hat = has
seine = its
Elastizitätsgrenze = elastic limit.

The hide and seek game played by these Opaas is appappaa!

[ In German Opaa = Grandfather and Oma = grandmother]

Some Opaas can't hear and will spend hours in typing long messages in the mobile phone.
Some other Opaas whom these Opaas want to contact do want to spend time in typing.

They want to talk on the phone and finish off the business .
But the Opaas who are hard of hearing do not wish to speak!

The net result ...???

They play hide- and- seek all their lives. :)
They appear very busy but get nothing done! :(

P.S
I used the German word for grandfather so as to highlight the pathos in the Tamil word appappaa. :)

Last edited:
The five ''Com" s that enrich life - not just our own but that of everyone around us.

Comprehend

Understand the existing problems, the situation prevailing and the action taken by someone. Do not project your own ideas and theories in to the action and suffer as a result of your imagination running riot.

Communicate
Most of the problems between people as well as nations is due to the lack of proper communication. Everyone need not enter into your mind and find out your needs, problems and requirement. You can communicate them in a civil manner and expect for good results ASAP

Compliment
Everyone wants to hear a word of appreciation for all they do for the others. Be sincere in your compliments and feel your words genuinely. The most beautiful sentences with 1, 2, 3 words respectively are said to be "Please!, "Thank you!' and "I love you!"

Complement
Everyone is ignorant in something and an expert in something else. Complement the factors others may lack by your own merits and expertise. Life will become more complete and more beautiful for everyone.

Compassion
Compassion is a virtue even animals are capable of. What to say about human beings? Always put yourself in the shoes of the person you hold a grudge against. You will understand the person better and your own negative feelings will vanish.

தேவ காண்டம்

மாயையின் வலியோன் ஆகி மான்முத லோரை வென்றே
ஆயிரத் தோரெட் டண்டம் அரசு செய் துகம்நூ றெட்டுக்
காயம தழிவின் றாகிக் கடவுளர்க் கலக்கண் செய்த
தீயசூர் முதலைச் செற்ற குமரன்தாள் சென்னி வைப்பாம்.

347a. Geldgespräche! Meins sagt immer "Auf Wiedersehen!"
347b. Money talks! Mine always says "Good Bye!"

There was a popular Tamil movie song.
"kaiyile vaanginEn paiyile pOdale
kaasu pOna idam theriyale!"

The expression is very much the same in many the languages.
Hand to mouth existence (English)
Hand-zu-Mund-Ausgang (German)
हाथ से मुँह का अस्तित्व (Hindi)

footnotes:-
Geldgespräche! = Money talks!
Meins = Mine
immer = always
sagt = says
"Auf Wiedersehen!" = "Goodbye!'

The Lucky Old Men!

He who has a wife to serve him in old age is a very lucky man. The converse is also true! :)

I know the plight of widowers who have to take care of themselves. Some of them may use the (great?) opportunity to indulge in all their favorite things but mostly men suffer - whether they admit it or not!

The old wife on her shaky legs makes sure that her husband does not go hungry by giving the old man something to eat or drink, once in every two hours. The old men who go hungry for long intervals develop ulcers due to formation of the stomach acid which is given nothing to digest! The acid starts digesting the inner layers of the stomach!

Young children and old people need frequent smaller meals. Children will cry and get something to eat or drink. It is the poor old single men who can neither cry for food nor ask for it ( since he is too proud to ask) nor make it for himself that suffers most!

348a. Wahre Liebe macht unmögliche Dinge möglich.
348b. True love renders impossible things possible.

True love makes supermen out of normal men. :)
True love makes supermoms out of normal moms. :)

footnotes:
Wahre = True
Liebe = Love
macht = makes
unmögliche = impossible
Dinge = things
möglich = possible.

Technology has changed the entire world and our interactions with the loved ones.

As Dasara Special, I got to see my grand nephews and grand nieces in addition to my siblings and their spouse, during the weekly group chat. It was filled with fun since each child wanted to show off all his talents and display all his belongings (in addition)!

When we were children my mother used to talk about our pranks to friends who visited our house. I remember that at times one of us would request our mother "Amma! ennaip paththich chollungO!"

Today children are much smarter. They themselves reveal all their accomplishments and achievements. Seeing the loved ones brings happiness - whether the person is tangible in 3 D or as 2 D on a flat screen!

For a long time in the future, till the Corona virus and COVID 19 are conquered, we may have to satisfy ourselves with such virtual seeing and interactions!

"pon vaikkum idathil poo vaipathu pOla"..... Something is better than nothing! Right? :)

Virtual meet brings happiness only to some persons! I try to arrange for such meets whenever possible but terribly failed in one group!
Out of nine persons, one doesn't possess a smart phone, three opted out, one did not want weekly once, two appear to be busy and one gets sick often! It ended up with me alone!!
I gave up after two weeks.
Shanthi.

Virtual meet brings happiness only to some persons! I try to arrange for such meets whenever possible but terribly failed in one group!
Out of nine persons, one doesn't possess a smart phone, three opted out, one did not want weekly once, two appear to be busy and one gets sick often! It ended up with me alone!!
I gave up after two weeks.
Shanthi.
It takes two ( or more than two) to create a new bond or to break the one existing ! :(

A proverb a day to brighten the day

349a. Penny weise und Pfund dumm.
349b. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Some people are over cautious in counting penny, keeping track of how they have been spent.
But they may ignore unnecessary spending of large sums of money in some other purchases!

footnotes:
Penny = Penny
weise = wise
und = and
Pfund = pound
dumm = foolish.

Aattamaa allathu Paattaa?

In theory, a singer must be able to keep a lit oil lamp on the head without disturbing it, while he / she sings! Sounds Too far fetched? Yes! When we watch some of the singers who seem to be dancing more than they sing!

The male singers used to go through a variety of movements including the grinding in a ezhundhiram when they sang. Some played an invisible accordion. Some others perform complex movements with their fingers.

Apparently all the twists an twirls which their voice is not able to capture are highlighted by those fingers. The audience have to transfer these intricate movements on to the singing and become joyful, imagining what the singer had originally imagined!

Some singers cover their left ear with left hand while the right hand tries to reach out to the elusively high pitched note, trying to escape their clutches! Are we allowed to imitate him and close our ears? No idea!

Some singers believe that their gesture convey their self confidence and level of comfort. As long as these wild gestures do not become violent gestures...learn to enjoy them!

A proverb a day to brighten the day!

350a. Jede Kreuzung bietet Ihnen eine Option. Benutze es weise.
350b. Every cross road offers you an option. Use it wisely.

Every cross road is there not to confuse you and mislead you!
It is there to offer you a choice of future actions! Use it wisely.

footnotes:
Jede = Every
Kreuzung = cross road
bietet = offers
Ihnen = you
eine = an
Option = option.
Benutze = Use
es = it
weise = wisely.

ஏணியும், தோணியும்.

ஏணி மற்றவர்களை மேலே ஏற்றி விடும்.
ஏணியால் மேலேறிச் செல்ல முடியாது!

தோணி மற்றவர்களைக் கரைசேர்க்கும்.
தோணி மிதப்பதோ என்றும் நீரிலேயே!

நாம் சேர்க்கலாம் இவ்வரிசையில்
நம் ஆசிரியப் பெருமக்களையும் கூட!.

எண்ணும், எழுத்தும் கற்பித்தவர்
என்றும் இருப்பார் ஆசிரியராகவே!

அக்கறை கொண்ட மாணவனோ
அக்கரைச் சீமையில் பணிபுரிவான்.

என்றாவது ஒருநாள் அவரை நினைத்தால்
குன்றாத மதிப்பு வைத்துள்ளவன் ஆவான்.

A proverb a day to brighten the day!

351a. Keine gute Tat bleibt jemals ungestraft.
351b. No good deed ever remains unpunished

footnotes:
Keine = No
gute = good
Tat = deed
bleibt =
remains
jemals = ever
ungestraft = unpunished.

Every good suggestion made with the best intention backfires in the most (un)spectacular way.
I
suggested to my b*tter half to watch something You Tube to 'kill time' . Now the tiny quarters where we live has become a full time home theater with the sound in full blast. I find it Too loud despite the airtight earplugs I use! :(

nEkhi karO! joothE khAvO!! MainE kiyA!!! MainE khAyA!!!! :(

Some people NEVER learn! Maybe I am one such person! :(

Now some good news!

The news:

I got an Android phone as a gift on my 75th birthday! At last.....! :)

Ubayam:
The telephone company which gives an extra phone and a free connection for every 4 new phones and connections purchased.

The need:
Several Groups have been formed crisscrossing all the relatives. I am still in one such group. Already I am 12 and 1/2 behind IST. On top of that I had no phone available for my personal use! :(

The gift:
When I requested for a free connection (if possible) to the old phone lying with me without a sim card,
the company unexpectedly gave me a new phone and a new connection for free! :)

Time factor
Time decides everything. The phone is extra long (~8" ) in red and black combination.

The added benefit:
I could now enroll in Duo lingo program for learning German.

The best news so far:

I am already in the top ten in the first level in just ten days after I joined in the program. :)

But I have to keep awake and alert until the entire household becomes silent at night! :(

A little green bird appears in the screen often and encourages me by saying "I am proud of you!" :)

See for yourself how Every human life is a chain of alternating :) and :( !!!

Latest ads

Back