• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Think or sink!

It takes a true rasigan to become a connoisseur of food and it makes his wife watch, learn, experiment new dishes on her beloved husband and family without hesitation.

Some husbands eat it in the same way whether it is thirattuppaal or sawdust ( not that anyone will really be served the second item).

That throws a wet towel on the enterprising spirit of the women since all they are going get in response to their efforts is a BIG GRUNT!!!

If the experiment in food is a huge success - she may have nothing left for herself - even to taste her creation!
On the other hand if the experiment ends up in a terrible failure, she will be given the chance of finishing off her creation ALL BY HERSELF!
Either way the result is scary!

I came down to my ideal weight not once but thrice!!!
First time it was just by exercises and dieting.
The second time by long walks and dieting and
the third time by serious dieting.
Believe me the weight we lose is just hanging around the corner
and gets back to you in tiny installments and before you realize
you are back to what you were before your started the whole thing!!!
I felt helplessly angry until I learned about the Set theory
(not the mathematical one!)
Please read on!

Why do we regain the weight we lost?

Ask any one who has been struggling to lose weight. He will say that it is difficult to lose weight but it is more difficult to keep it off! Why?

A person’s body has a set number of fat cells. This is determined either at birth or infancy. This number of cells remains constant (or may increase) throughout the person’s life. It can never ever be decreased.

“Set Point Theory” states that a person’s body is programmed to be in a certain weight range and the body will “fight tooth and nail” to remain in that range. During dieting a parson’s weight reduces visibly. But it always comes back–no matter how little he eats and how hard he works out in a gym. The body tries to retain its natural weight.

During serious dieting, the body learns to use efficiently the few calories available for its various functions. The body temperature may fall down and metabolism slowed down. When the body gets more calories than what it needs, it speeds up metabolism and even maintains higher body temperature, in an effort to burn off the extra calories.

It is possible to lose weight only be decreasing the size of the fat cells and not by decreasing their number. The brain always wants to trigger the body, to return the fat cells, to their original size. This means that the weight lost will be regained slowly and steadily.

There is no way of testing to find out a person’s set point. The best way to find it out is to eat normally and exercise moderately and regularly. Long years of futile dieting will throw the metabolism out of gear and it may take up to a year for the system to be restored and the body to return to its normal weight range.

Learning to accept the Set Theory will put an end to the vicious cycles of dieting with its “yoyo” effect. If we learn to accept people as they are, irrespective of their size, height and colour, the world will be a much better place to live in. People will be more relaxed, friendly and in better moods.

After all, being thin is not necessarily the same as being happy!

Visalakshi Ramani
Source : My blog of 200 English articles <visalakshiramani.wordpress.com>

The Fear Of Size!

It is said that “Small is beautiful”. The modern concept is that “Slim is beautiful”. So many adolescent girls and young women, who dream of possessing pencil-thin figures, get into eating disorders.

The eating disorders are of two kinds, Anorexia and Bulimia Nervosa. Anorexia means a lack of desire to eat. Girls and women suffering from this disorder keep away from food by starving. They use diet pills and do excessive exercises to keep the body weight low.

The well known symptoms are keeping the body weight far less than the ideal weight; intense fear of putting on weight; irregular menstrual cycles and other disorders related to eating.

Anorexia puts a strain on the heart and lowers the heart rate. It throws the electrolyte balance and hormonal balance out of gear. It causes muscle weakness, osteoporosis and immune dysfunction and may lead to premature death.

People who suffer from Bulimia Nervosa find it difficult to fast or keep away from food. They have a ‘ravenous hunger’ as meant by the name of the disorder. They indulge in ‘binge eating’ and purge or vomit the food eaten–in an effort to keep thin.

The onset of Bulimia Nervosa is in the age range of 13 to 20 years. It is difficult to detect the disorder, as the person looks healthy and appears to eat well. But the repeated cycles of binging and purging have devastating effects on the body.

The strong gastric acids erode the teeth enamel and lacerate the lining of the mouth and throat. The person may suffer from dehydration and potassium depletion. The salivary glands get swollen.

A well developed personality can cover up many defects in a person’s appearance. So the young girls need to strive to become wholesome and attractive personalities, rather than pencil-thin-girls with several severe health problems.

Visalakshi Ramani.
Source; My blog <visalakshiramani.wordpress.com>

I wish it were as simple as that!
Metabolism plays an important role too.
It is not just what we eat that matters.
How the body treats the food eaten by us also matters.
When the metabolism become a 'ketta'bolism trouble starts brewing!

I am reminded of a funny incident.

The public toilets ran short of funds and only partial doors could be provided.

They had two options...

To cover the bottom portion or the top portion of the door frame.

If the bottom was covered anyone can see the person occupying the toilet room but NOT what he /she was doing there.

On the other hand the when the top portion was covered,
anyone can see the business inside but not the person who was doing it!!!

In either case no one could see both the person inside and the business happening inside!

Tell me which one of these is worse!!!

நின்று நிதானமாக எரியும் விளக்கைக் காட்டிலும்
ஒரு நொடியில் எரிந்து கரிந்து போகும் வாணம் கண்ணைக் கவரும்!

Meanings of Cohesion

Cohesion (social policy), the bonds or "glue" between members of a community or society and life

Cohesion (computer science), a measure of how well the lines of source code within a module work together

Cohesion (linguistics), the linguistic elements that make a discourse semantically coherent

Cohesion (chemistry), the intermolecular attraction between like-molecules

Cohesion (geology), the part of shear strength that is independent of the normal effective stress in mass movements

Definition of ADHESION.

1: steady or firm attachment : adherence.

2: the action or state of adhering.

3: the abnormal union of separate tissue surfaces by new fibrous tissue resulting from an inflammatory process; also
the newly formed uniting tissue

In layman's language these can be expressed thus.

Cohesion is the bondage between people who are related.

Adhesion is the bondage between strangers.

Cool isn't it???

Mercury is the best example for cohesion.
Even the tiniest droplet would be a perfect sphere!
Sphere has the minimum surface area and the maximum volume
Thanks to the surface tension which does not show any leniency
Water on glass is a good example for adhesion.

When my eldest grandson was a tiny toddler
I taught him a tongue-twisting couplet.

"அல்லில்லல்லல்லோ!
அல்லரி பில்லல்லோ?"

my own combo of Malayalam and Telugu words meaning
"Isn't he a mischievous child?"

He likes it so much that he started calling me as
அல்லில்லல்லல்லோ !

The gummy bears!

His mother was at her wit's end,
The little boy would not amend;

He hated the very sight of his potty,
He was extremely noisy and naughty;

Nothing could make him budge,
Not even a Sundae or a fudge;

How can he enter into a play school
Unless he is ready for that school?

He was made an offer excellent,
By his parents who were intelligent;

Every time he used his potty
A sweet was given to that naughty!

Every time he peed in his potty
A sweet was given to that naughty!

He got fully weaned from his diaper,
Who can resist this kind of an offer?

He uses potty every second hour,
Much to the relief of his mother!

The carrot to the end of a stick tied,
Never fails in its mission when tried!!!

(from the real life experience of my son's close friends)

மதியாதார் வாயில் மிதியாதே! (அரதப் பழசு!!!)

அழையாதார் வாயில் நுழையாதே!! (கொஞ்சம் புதுசு!!!)

அழைப்பார் ஆனாலும் நுழையாதே!!! (ரொம்பப் புதுசு!!!)

விரலுக்குத் தகுந்த வீக்கம்.

ஏழைக்கேற்ற எள்ளுருண்டை.

குருவி தலையில் பனங்காய்.

Things should be in the right proportions

as proved by these three proverbs.

The little children teach us the most valuable lesson in our

lives...we get back what we give out to others.

I called my little grandson "Timbaktoo Elik kunju!!!

My husband called him "Kurumbaa!" and "pokkiri!"

Now the little fellow calls me as "Timbaktoo Elikkunju!

though I am anything but an elik kunju :) !!!

He calls my husband "Pokkiri" and "kurumbaa!"

HOWZAAT!!!!

I got properly scared after watching the movie Wall E years ago!

We bring into the world our children and we have to leave for them a world free of junk and garbage.

The mindless littering on the earth's surface HAS to curtailed and curbed.

Here is an awe inspiring information from a forwarded mail, on how long the different materials take to decompose completely!

HOW LONG DOES THEY TAKE TO GET DECOMPOSED

Paper Towel .... 2-4 weeks

Banana Peel .....3-4 weeks

Paper Bag .........1 month

Newspaper ........1.5 months

Apple Core .........2 months

Cardboard ..........2 months

Cotton Glove ......3 months

Orange peels ..... 6 months

Plywood ..............1-3 years

Wool Sock ...........1-5 years

Milk Cartons ........5 years

Cigarette Butts ... 10-12 years

Leather shoes ......25-40 years

Tinned Steel Can ......... 50 years

Foamed Plastic Cups... 50 years

Rubber-Boot Sole........ 50-80 years

Plastic containers ....... 50-80 years

Aluminum Can ............. 200-500 years

Plastic Bottles ...............450 years

Disposable Diapers - 550 years

Monofilament Fishing Line - 600 years

Plastic Bags - 200-1000 years

How many tons of plastic bags will get accumulated in those 1000 years!!!

How many tons of disposable diaper will get accumulated considering the number of children in the world and the number of years the diaper takes to get decomposed!!!

WALL-E - Wikipedia
WALL-E is a 2008 American computer-animated science fiction film produced by Pixar ... 1 Plot; 2 Cast; 3 Production. 3.1 Writing; 3.2 Design; 3.3 Animation ...
Production company‎: ‎Walt Disney Pictures‎; ‎Pix... Music by‎: ‎Thomas Newman
Story by‎: ‎Andrew Stanton‎; ‎Pete Docter Release date‎: ‎June 23, 2008 (‎Los Angeles‎); J...

I know of one couple who did a major malpractice and cheated the lawful heirs of a rich man of their fair shares of land.

They did parihaaram by donating a small piece of land to poor brahmin.

Bad apples and bad gifts taste bad! Right??

The recipient of the piece of land has gone off his rocker and is roaming around - raving like mad man.

I guess when the awesome couple gifted the piece of land, they passed on their sin also as a free attachment / bonus.

Imaandhar = a respectable person.

bEimaan x imaandhar.

bEimaan = a rogue/ cheat/ cunning fellow.

naam = name

bEnaam = without a name

bEnaami = property registered in the names persons other the real owners.

The places where bEimaans and bEnaamis abound..

the political circles of course!!! :rolleyes:

அதிலென்ன சந்தேகம் ???

"அதிலென்ன சந்தேகம்!" என்று கேட்கும் பேசும் கிளியின் கதையை நான் ஏற்கனெவே சொல்லி விட்டேன் .

இது சற்று வேறுபட்டது!

"அதானே பாத்தேன்!" என்பதன் கதை இது!

"அதானே பாத்தேன்!" என்று அடிக்கடி சொல்லானான் குட்டி.

பொருள் தெரிந்து சொல்கிறானா இல்லையா என்று
புதிராகவே இருந்தது எங்களுக்கு.

விரைவிலேயே நிரூபணம் ஆயிற்று
பொருள் தெரிந்துதான் சொல்கிறான்.

"அதானே பாத்தேன்" என்று நான் சொல்கிறேன் இப்போது,

"அதானே பாத்தேன்! யாரோட பேரன்?" :)

சாம்பார், பாயசம் பரிமாறும்போது நன்கு
கலக்கி விட்டுப் பரிமாறுகிறோம்! எதற்கு???

கலக்கும்போது எல்லோருக்கும் ஒரே போலக் கிடைக்கும்!

அல்லது கடைசியில் வருபவர்களுக்கு அடிக்கும் ஜாக்பாட்!!!

பருப்பு, குழம்புத் தான், கிஸ்மிஸ், முந்திரி வகையறா.

குழப்பல் வேறு வகை.

தெளிந்த குட்டையைக் குழப்பி மீன் பிடிப்பது போல்!

தெளிந்த ரசத்தைக் கலக்கி குழம்பாக்குவது போல!!

Latest ads

Back