• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Think or sink!

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

The boy is well educated, good looking and earning in Euros!!!

A girl's jatakam matched well with the boy's.

The girls told him,"If you want to marry me wind up your things and come to my country/ my city/ my house. I am my mom's only daughter. I will never part with her!!!"

Does this mean that THE BOY IS A SWAYAMBOO - completely unattached to anyone else???

When I sieve through the old threads looking for interesting posts I am appalled to see the number of replies and comments by my then friends.

What has happened to all of them?

Are they no more members of the Forum or are they no more my friends??? :(

Deft definitions!

Q: Who is a happily married man???

A : One whose behavior is the same
whether or not his wife is around!

Q: Who is a well brought up child???

A : One whose behavior is the same
whether or not his parent is around!

images

Pyramid in the basic form!

450px-Maslow%27s_Hierarchy_of_Needs.svg.png

The classification with more finer details!!!

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is a theory in psychology, proposed by Abraham Maslow in his 1943 paper "A Theory of Human Motivation."

Maslow subsequently extended the idea to include his observations of humans' innate curiosity. His theories parallel many other theories of human developmental psychology, all of which focus on describing the stages of growth in humans.

Maslow use the terms Physiological, Safety, Belongingness and Love, Esteem, and Self-Actualization needs to describe the pattern that human motivations generally move through.

Maslow studied what he called exemplary people such as Albert Einstein, Jane Addams, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Frederick Douglass rather than mentally ill or neurotic people, writing that "the study of crippled, stunted, immature, and unhealthy specimens can yield only a cripple psychology and a cripple philosophy."

Maslow studied the healthiest 1% of the college student population. Maslow's theory was fully expressed in his 1954 book Motivation and Personality.

Courtesy Wikipedia

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

A few years ago I noticed a poisonous snake (kaatu viriyan)
in my bedroom, along the edge of the wall, around 11 P.M,
when I was all alone by myself, on my wedding anniversary day.

The power got cut and the watchmen could kill it only after midnight. The news and my fear did not cause a ripple in the family circle.

The Lion-men (AaN singangal) of the family saw a snake,
outside their mom's house, in the garden, during broad daylight.

All the plants (including the curry leaves plant) have been cut down mercilessly. All the leaves and the garden wastes have burned in a huge flame immediately.

There is so much of talk about what could have happened
if the snake had got into the house!

Proves that I have been the first in the list of important people from its tail-end!!!

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

When I went around the neighborhood distributing sweets on the happy occasion of the arrival of my grandson Varun, I had mixed experiences.

In the first house the lady accepted the whole box meant for many families. I had to request her to take as many as she wanted but not the whole box.

In another house the door would not open. When I was about to leave a servant girl peeped out and said everyone was sleeping (at 11 A.M?)

In the third house I got frightened seeing the startled expression on the face that opened the door.

In the fourth house I was told to 'come back later' as they were eating lunch.

Of course I did not go again but reserved the sweets for them - in case they come asking what I had wanted. None came. So someone else got those sweets.

I just wondered how is that I never say "I am asleep"; "I am eating"; "Come back later" etc.

Then it struck me. I had none to convey those messages. I will have to go by myself . So I can never do to them what they were doing to me!

Now I have become wiser (even without growing my wisdom teeth). Distance adds enchantment to the vision.

God punishes children with their parents and parents with

their children. Will it be wrong to say

Parenting is ...

feeding the mouths that bite you

and eating the words that slight you!

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

I came across a new brand of rusks.

They were unbelievably crispy and

"spoke" when they were shaken!!

I got them through my sister who visited us.

I felt dizzy when I saw that

they were dipped in hot coffee,

made into a pulp and eaten!!!

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

In some houses and even wedding feasts the appalam would have turned into a piece of cloth. We will have to tear it or use scissors to be able to eat it without choking.

So I make it a point to fry the appalam just before we sit to eat.

Imagine my chagrin when the appalam was smashed into a thousand pieces, mixed with the saambaar chaadham and eaten!

Another unholy attempt was when it was smashed, mixed with the payasam and eaten!

Dance is one of the Lalitha Kalaigal...Fine Arts.

Even kings and queens were supposed to learn all the
64 Arts-including Dance and music.

Bharatanatayam is not exclusive to Lord Siva. Shakthi performs Laasyam while Siva performs Thaandavam.

Krishna is called as "kudamaadi Govindan" since he could dance juggling mud pots at the same time.

Krishna's Kaalinga Nardhanam is well known. Our guru used to describe the dance thus.

Krishna would jump on the head of kaalinga which rises highest and then on to another head which rises highest.

The snake held precious gems in each of its head. The light coming out of that head would change as the different heads were stamped by Krishna.

The colorful light show must have been something similar to the lights used in the Discotheque in the modern days.
:)

Home remedies with curry leaves (from a forwarded mail)

Curry leaves possess the qualities of a herbal tonic. They strengthen the functioning of the stomach. They are used as a mild laxative. The juice extracted from 15g of leaves may be taken with buttermilk.

The root of curry plant also has medicinal properties. The juice of the root can be taken to relieve pain associated with kidneys.
Digestive properties

Fresh juice of curry leaves with lime juice and sugar is an effective medicine in the treatment of morning sickness, nausea and vomiting due to indigestion and excessive use of fats.

One or two teaspoons of juice of curry leaves mixed with a teaspoon of lime juice helps in these cases. Curry leaves ground to a fine paste and mixed with buttermilk can also be taken on an empty stomach to treat stomach upsets.

Liberal intake of curry leaves is beneficial in preventing premature graying of hair. These leaves have the property to nourish hair roots. New hair roots that grow are healthier with normal pigment. The leaves can be used in the form of chutney or the juice may be squeezed and taken with buttermilk or lassi.

When the leaves are heated in coconut oil till they reduce to a blackened residue, the oil forms an excellent hair tonic to stimulate hair growth.

Burns and bruises
Curry leaves can be effectively used to treat burns, bruises and skin eruptions. They should be applied as a poultice over the affected areas.
Fresh juice of curry leaves suffused in the eyes makes them look bright. It also prevents early development of cataract.

Insect bites
Fruits of curry plant are edible berries. They are purple when ripe. Juice of these berries when mixed with equal proportion of lime juice is effective for external application in insect stings.

பூவும், தலையும்!

தலை இல்லத்தின் தலைவன்!
பூ பூச்சூடும் பூவை என்றால்,

கண்டிப்பும், கனிவும் நாணயத்தின்
இரு வேறு பக்கங்கள் ஆகும்.

கண்டிப்பு => தலை => தந்தை
கனிவு => பூ => தாய்.

இது எப்படி இருக்கு???

He was a multimillionaire.
People wanted to get a glimpse of him.
Magazines wanted to feature about him.

During one of the interviews a journalist wanted an autograph of the great man. He smiled and confessed that he could neither read nor write.

The journalist exclaimed, "If you have reached this eminence without being literate what would you have been with proper education?"

The great man replied in a cool tone."I would have been an incense boy in the local church"

The journalist could not make head or tail of this remark.
The great man told his story.

He had applied for the job of an incense boy but was turned down since he could not sign his name. He felt wretched and badly needed a smoke.

There was not a single tobacco shop within five mile radius
He opened a tobacco shop there. With his luck and hard work his business expanded into a huge net work making him one of the richest men in the city.

Education is not necessary to succeed in life--- if your are "business - smart" by birth!!!

Personal Space.

Personal space is similar to an invisible bubble surrounding you. When a person moves so close as to compress your personal bubble of space, you feel uncomfortable and challenged.

Every one’s personal space is different. How closely you stand to a person while talking to him or her, depends on whether the person is a stranger, an acquaintance, a friend, a sibling, a parent or a lover!

The better we know a person, smaller will be the size of the bubble. The bubble is larger for casual acquaintances and largest for perfect strangers. The bubble is larger for two men than for two women. The size of the bubble also depends on the different cultures.

When two people have an argument, the first thing they do is to move closer, invading each others personal space. This is called “getting in some one’s face”. People demand to “have an elbow room” to feel free and not suffocated.

Edward. T. Hall studied the personal spaces between all combination of people and here are his findings.

Intimate space is one and a half feet or less. Personal space is 4 feet. Social space is 12 feet and public space is 25 feet. No wonder the podium of the speakers is far away from the audience. If the crowd of strangers were to be placed nearer, the speaker himself would feel challenged by the audience.

At times we are not able to maintain the personal space. When we are in a crowded lift or train or bus, we have to be nearer than this space limit. But we look away from the people standing near to us, so that we won’t appear aggressive or nosy!

Visalakshi Ramani

Friends can become ex friends but relatives can't become ex relatives.

All the same NOTHING can stop them from increasing their personal space and keeping off or even becoming invisible and inaudible.

Personal space is determined by the intimacy or non intimacy of the people involved.

Surely no one will comfortable with a perfect stranger occupying the intimate space.

Keeping the people at arm's length may be to make sure that they are not invading one's personal space.

Untouchability has nothing to do with this. It is due to the feeling of comfort, safety and freedom.

When I traveled in an electric train in Mumbai
my personal space became not zero but negative!

I was really "out of shape" when I got out
of the train feeling crushed and crying.

Smell of liquor, beedi, cigarette, sweat ...
name it and it was there all around me!

The conceited wife tried to shake off her husband.

But he held onto her like a leech.

When his friend told him,
"I am sure you love your wife to much!"

The man replied in a solemn voice,
"I love my house too much!"

He knew that if ever they get divorced,
she will get his house and his car.

He will get his coat, hat and a boot.

Our spiritual guru used to say very often,

The Image we think we have created in only imaginary.

How true are his words!

When I watch the ad in which the ex-charming hero Rajesh Kanna says,

"Mere fans mujse koi nahi cheen sakthaa!"

I actually feel like shedding tears.:Cry:

He is just a shadow/ a mere ghost of what he had been.

So much for the imaginary image!!! :doh:

P.S

Why do i feel like crying???

1. My first son was nicknamed Rajesh
like every other boy born in that period.?

2. "Mere sappanonki raani kab ayegi thoo?"
song is the all time favorite of my husband! :sing:

I met the most glamorous doctor yesterday. It was hard to believe that she was a doctor.

I must have impressed her somehow - just as she did me.

She told me that we both had 'orE kaNNU!'

I smiled and told her that we had two eyes each.

She explained her observation by saying that the shape of the eyes and the eyebrows, the distance between the eyes and the eyebrows were all alike in both of us!

She was supposed to be doing Doppler Scan on my legs and may be her eyes were riveted on mine!

I usually close my eyes whenever anything is being done on me.

The young dentist kept repeatedly telling me to keep my eyes wide open while doing the R.C.T!

But it is difficult to keep the eyes open when some person's face is just inches away from your face. (Personal space problem?)

She wouldn't let me go until I sang two lines of a song for her!

I was worrying about the number of patients waiting outside but she did not! Luckily no one cold have heard anything since the room was almost sound proof!

HOW did she find out that I can sing?

Has my voice become more musical due to the asura saadhakam I do while learning /practicing my grandfather's songs?

My co-sister-in-law also commented that I sound much better now than the last time she heard me sing - a few months ago!

Truly there is no gain without pain and no pain without gain!

Time is neither a Fact nor a Factor.
It is really purely relative.

We do not need to understand the complicated
Theory of Relativity to know this.

While doing something we enjoy doing, time simply flies!
When forced to do something or made to wait for some reason
time hangs so heavily on us!

The time spent in the company of loved one simply flies off!
The time spent waiting for the loved one hangs heavily on us!

In addition to being Neither a Fact nor a Factor
Time is a continuous stream like a river.

That is why people can travel along the time river
either to the past or to the future.

Back to the Future is as true as Back to the Past!

220px-Abraham_Maslow.jpg

Abraham Maslow who gave the pyramid of Hierarchy of human needs.

Hierarchy

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is often portrayed in the shape of a pyramid, with the largest and most fundamental levels of needs at the bottom and the need for Self Actualization at the top.

While the pyramid has become the de facto way to represent the hierarchy, surprisingly Maslow himself never used a pyramid to describe these levels in any of his writings on the subject.

The most fundamental and basic four layers of the pyramid contain what Maslow called "deficiency needs" or "d-needs": esteem, friendship and love, security, and physical needs.

With the exception of the most fundamental and physiological needs, if these "deficiency needs" are not met, the body gives no physical indication although the individual may feel anxious and tense.

Maslow's theory suggests that the most basic level of needs must be met before the individual will strongly desire and focuses motivation upon the secondary or higher level needs.

Maslow also coined the term Metamotivation to describe the motivation of people who go beyond the scope of the basic needs and keep striving for constant betterment. This type of people are driven by B-needs (Being Needs), instead of deficiency needs (D-Needs).

The human mind and brain are complex and have parallel processes running at the same time, so many different motivations from different levels of Maslow's pyramid usually occur simultaneously.

Maslow was clear about speaking of these levels and their satisfaction in terms such as "relative" and "general" and "primarily". He says that the human organism is "dominated" by a certain need. The individual is not focused "only" on a certain need at any given time.

So Maslow acknowledges that many different levels of motivation are likely to be going on in a human all at once. His focus in discussing the hierarchy was to identify the basic types of motivations. The order that they generally progress as lower needs are reasonably well met.

As always climbing higher is the toughest and falling down is the easiest!

Swami Dayananda Saraswathi has a terrific sense of humor and
the voice that is best suited to hand it out!

He often makes fun of the sermons which starts with the words "PAvigaLE!...."

In our religion we are told that we have mahA vAkyas like
"Aham BrahmAsmi". "Thath thvam asi" etc which practically equates Man to God (minus his physical and intellectual limitations.)

Let flowers speak

(The meaning and messages conveyed by the flowers)

An Introduction to Let flowers speak

We are supposed to “say it with flowers”!

But do we know that each flower stands for some emotion or feeling?

With a little background knowledge, we say say what we wanted to say perfectly with the flowers without uttering a word.

So now to the flowers and their significances…

Latest ads

Back