• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Think or sink!

Some of the old ladies who had been widowed by cruel Fate recently do not know how to spend their time usefully and without disturbing anyone.

They watch all the events happening around them - whether or oot they actually concern them. They eavesdrop conversations, pass judgements and spread gossip.

If there is a local edition of gossip they can very well become the much-sought-after-reporters.

I pity these ladies who waste their superior intelligence and undiminishing inquisitiveness in such pursuits instead of the one pursuit which suits their advanced age and stage in life!

Man stands on the shoulders of the previous generation.

Be it in studies, research, finance or comfort the younger generation is much better off then the older generation.

My maid has given her two daughters college education and they had held jobs drawing a five figure salary.

Her grand daughter wants to travel by a plane. So my maid is planning a trip to visit her younger daughter in Chennai with her elder daughter and her family!

I wonder what her grand daughter's children (when she grows up and has children) would wish for!

Panic confuses the mind- and blurs our vision!

Less you worry about your problems, the easier they will be to solve!

Deep down, we all know that for every problem there is a solution. Many times, the solution is obvious to a dispassionate observer, which is the primary reason corporations as well as entrepreneurs hire outside consultants.

Often, the reason we cannot see these obvious solutions is that we are trapped in our emotional reactions and habitual ways of seeing life.

The alternative to dealing head on with problems is to clear your mind instead of filling it with painful, confusing details.
Quiet down, reflect, and listen.

Allow your wisdom, that softer part of your thinking, to surface. More often than not, seemingly out of nowhere
(actually from Super-soul – the Lord in the heart), you will have an insight, an answer to your problem.

The less you worry about your problems, the easier they will be to solve!

(from a mail forwarded by my elder sister)

Life is so uncertain.

We do not what lies in store

for us in our life tomorrow!

We do not know whose help and

grace we may need tomorrow.

So it is really wise

always to be nice

even to little mice

since in fact Life is

a game of dice.

உயர்திணையும், அஃறிணையும்.

குழந்தை வருது.
குழந்தை தருது.

அஃறிணையில் தெரிவது
அன்பின் மிகுதி.

ஆனால் .....

தாத்தா வருது.
பாட்டி தருது.

அஃறிணையில் தெரிவது
வெறுப்பின் மிகுதி!

People who take more than their share of space...

A father and a son got into our compartment.

The four friends (helpers?) following them carried four cubical flexible bags.

I was seeing one such bag for the very first time in my life.
It would NOT go under the seat in any orientation.

But those hefty fellows somehow pushed the bags under both the long seats filling the space there completely.

All the other five passengers who shared the same cubicle had to keep their things on their berths and sleep .

The people who had taken more than their allotted space never felt guilty, not apologized even formally.

World is full of such people who grab more than their share of air, water, space, power and energy...without batting an eyelid!

Today's new link with the introduction to the blog

Food, Flavors, Tastes and benefits.

Food is one of the basic necessities of all living beings.
Food nourishes the body and gives us the energy we need to do work.
Food has color, flavor and taste and satisfies the eyes, nose and taste buds.
Tastes have some associated properties. So also the colors and flavors.
We shall explore in this blog the Food, Flavors, Tastes and Benefits of some spices, herbs, nuts, grains, vegetable, fruits and edible flowers.

A real Bonus!

Glossary
courtesy Wikipedia
Adrak
Ginger ادرک अदरक இஞ்சி ഇഞ്ചി అల్లం, ਅਦਰਕ, আদা ada, അന്ദ്രകം, पाएँ, ಶುಂಠಿ Used as fresh and also Dried Powder form, see “Sonth”

Aamchur/Amchoor powder Sour Mango powder آمچور आमचूर மாங்காய் பொடி മാങ്ങ പൊടി ఆమ్చూర్,మామిడికాయ పొడి gives fish curries tartness

Achar Indian Pickle اچار अचार ஊறுகாய் അച്ചാര്‍ ಉಪ್ಪಿನಕಾಯಿ,ఊరగాయ, আচার, Hundreds of varieties exist. All are interesting.

Ajmud Celery / Radhuni seed اجمد अज्मुद அசம்டவோமன் వాము, ಅಜಮೊಧವೋಮ, अज्मोदा, রাধুনী radhuni अजमोदा
Ajwain Carom/thyme seed اجوائن अज़वाइन ஓமம் അയമോദകം వాము, , জবান, યવાનો, जवानो, ਐਜਵਾਇਨ, അയമോദകം

Amla Indian gooseberry آملا आँवला நெல்லிக்காய் നെല്ലിക്ക ನೆಲ್ಲಿಕಾಯಿ,ఉసిరి కాయ / పప్పు

Anardana Pomegranate seed اناردانا अनारदाना மாதுளம் விதை മാതളനാരങ്ങ കുരു/അല്ലി దానిమ్మ, గింజలు Dried not fresh. Is ground in Middle East.

Bazil / Basil spice powder बाजील തുളസി

Badam Almond بادام बादाम பாதாம், ബദാം బాదాం, বাদাম, ಬಾದಾಮಿ

Choti Elaichi Green cardamom چھوٹی الائچی‎ छोटी इलाइची ஏலக்காய் ഏലക്ക ఏలకులు, এলাচি elachi, , ಏಲಕ್ಕಿ Malabar variety is native to Kerala.

Badi Elaichi Black cardamom بڑی الائچی बड़ी इलाइची கறுப்பு ஏலக்காய் കറുപ്പ് ഏലക്ക Very earthy and darkly aromatic.

Chakra Phool Star anise चक्र फूल തക്കോലം बदल फुल, అనసపువ్వు Exotic,

chinese influenced flavors

Chironji
Charoli چرونجی चिरोंजी సార పప్పు a type of nut particularly used in making desserts
Camiki Mango extract कामिकी

Dalchini Cinnamon دارچینی दालचीनी லவங்கப்பட்டை കറുവപ്പട്ട ಚಕ್ಕೆ,దాల్చిన చెక్క, দারচিনি
darchini, Grown commercially in Kerala in southern India. Two types, cassia (common) and royal.

Dhania Coriander seed دھنیا धनिया விதை கொத்தமல்லி മല്ലി ಧನಿಯಾ (ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಬೀಜ),ధనియాలు, ধনে dhone ,

Garam Masala Spice mixture گرم مصالحہ गरम मसाला கரம் மசாலா ഗരം മസാല ಗರಂ ಮಸಾಲ,గరం మసాలా, গরম মশলা gôrom môshla, Blend of 8+ spices. Each family has their own secret recipe.

Gulab Jal Rose water عرق گلاب गुलाब जल பன்னீர் പനിനീര്‍ పన్నీరు, গোলাপ জল golap jôl Flavors desserts. Heavily used in Middle East.

Gur Unrefined Sugar (Jaggery) گڑ गुड़ வெல்லம் (made from sugarcane juice) கருப்பட்டி (made from palm juice) വെല്ലം ಬೆಲ್ಲ,బెల్లము, গুড় guṛ, from the sap of the sugarcane or date palm

Haldi Turmeric ہلدی हल्दी மஞ்சள் മഞ്ഞള്‍ ಅರಿಶಿನ,పసుపు, হলুদ/হলদে holud/holde Source of “yellow color” in many curries.

Hari dhaniya Coriander green کوتمیر}ھرا دھنیا} हरी धनिया கொத்தமல்லி (இலை) മല്ലിയില ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು,కొత్తిమీర , Fresh green leaves. AKA Cilantro.

Harad / hime Terminalia chebula हरद கடுக்காய் కరక చెట్టు,

Hari Mirch Green Chili ہری مرچ हरी मिर्च பச்சை மிளகாய் പച്ച മുളക് ಹಸಿ ಮೆಣಸಿನಕಾಯಿ,పచ్చి మిరపకాయలు, কাঁচা মরিচ kãcha morich,

Dhania powder/ Pisa Dhania Coriander powder دھنیہ धनिया पावडर/पिसा धनिया கொத்தமல்லி பொடி, தனியா മല്ലിപ്പൊടി ధనియాల పొడి, ধনে গুঁড়া, , ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಪುಡಿ

Hing Asafoetida ہنگ हींग பெருங்காயம் കായം/പെരുംകായം ಇಂಗು, ఇంగువ, হিং, Intensely aromatic – related to Truffle and Garlic

Imli Tamarind املی इमली புளி പുളി/വാളന്‍പുളി ಹುಣಸೆಹಣ್ಣು, చింతపండు, তেঁতুল tetul, Provides tartness in South Indian curries

Jaiphal Nutmeg جاۓپھل‎ जैफल ஜாதிக்காய் ജാതിക്ക ಜಾಕಾಯಿ, జాజికాయ,, জয়ফল Whole nuts last forever. Powder, only a month.

Javitri Mace جاوتری जावित्री ஜாதிக்காய் ജാതിപത്രി ಜಾಪಾತ್ರೆ, జాపత్రి Mace is outer covering to nutmeg nut. Similar aroma.

Jeera Cumin seed زیرہ ज़ीरा சீரகம் ജീരകം ಜೀರಿಗೆ, జీలకర్ర, জিরা, See Kali Jeera.

Jeera Goli Cumin seed grounded into balls ज़ीरा गोली ‘జీలకర్ర వుండ’

Jethimadh Licorice powder ملہٹی जेठीमध அதிமதுரம் యష్టిమధుక్కం

Kachra Capers کرر कचरा, कब्र, करेर கரியல் మరాఠీ మొగ్గు, ముముదాటు, , ಮರಾಠಿ ಮೊಗ್ಗು , ਕਰਿਆ also known as Kabra, Karer in Hindi

Kadipatta Curry Tree or Sweet Neem leaf کریاپات करीपत्ता / कदिपत्ता கறிவேப்பிலை കറിവേപ്പില కరివేప ఆకు, Cannot retain flavor when dried. Only use fresh.

Kaju Cashewnut کاجو काजू முந்திரி കശുവണ്ടി/കപ്പലണ്ടി ಗೋಡಂಬಿ, జీడి పప్పు, কাজুবাদাম,

Kala Namak / Sanchal Black salt کالا نمک काला नमक / संचल ഇന്തുപ്പ് ಕಲ್ಲುಪ್ಪು, నల్ల ఉప్పు, বিট লবণ Rock salt, but with very sulfur smell.

Kali Elaichi Black Cardamom الائچی‎کالی काली इलाइची കറുപ്പ് ഏലക്ക నల్ల ఏలకులు Earthy, much used in North Indian curries.

Kali Mirchi Black pepper مرچ‎کالی काली मिर्च மிளகு കുരുമുളക് నల్ల మిరియాలు, গোল মরিচ gol morich, Largest producer is the southern Indian state of Kerala.

Kalonji Nigella seed کلونجی कालोंजी கருப்பு எள் నల్ల జీలకర్ర, কালো জিরা kalo jira

Kasoori Methi Dried Fenugreek leaf کسوری میتھی कसूरी मेथी வெந்தய கீரை ഉലുവ ഇല (ഉണക്കിയത്) మెంతి ఆకులు, menthi aakulu,

Katira Goond Tragacanth Gum कटीरा गूंद A thickener and coating for desserts

Kebab Cheeni Allspice کباب چینی कॅबाब चीनी സര്‍വസുഗന്ധി কাবাব চিনি kabab chini Tastes of Clove + cinnamon + nutmeg + bayleaf

Kesar, Zaafraan Saffron زعفران केसर, जाफरान குங்குமப்பூ കുങ്കുമ പുവ് కుంకుమ పువ్వు, জাফরান jafran World’s most expensive spice. Flavoring for rice.

Kesar miri miri Saffron pulp केसर मिरी मिरी, குங்குமப்பூ కుంకుమ పూల పొడి Actually, safflower concentrate

Khajur Dates کھجور खज़ूर, খেজুর பேரிச்சை ഈന്തപ്പഴം/ഈത്തപ്പഴം ಖರ್ಜೂರ, ఖర్జూరం,
Kokum Garcinia indica कोकम, பேரீச்சம்பழம்

Khus Khus Poppy seed خشحش खस खस கச கசா കസകസ గసగసాలు,ಗಸಗಸೆ , পোস্ত দানা posto dana,

Kudampuli Garcinia gummi-gutta कोकम கொறுக்காய்ப்புளி കുടംപുളി Used in fish preparations of Kerala

Lahsun Garlic لہسن लहसुन வெள்ளை பூண்டு വെളുത്തുള്ളി vellulli paaya, রসুন roshun,

Lal Mirchi Red Chilli لال مرچ लाल मिर्ची மிளகாய் வத்தல் വറ്റല്‍ മുളക്, ഉണക്ക മുളക് మిరప కాయలు, লাল মরিচ lal morich,

Lavang Cloves لوںگ लवाँग கிராம்பு, லவங்கம் ഗ്രാമ്പു/കരയാമ്പു ಲವಂಗ, lavangam, లవంగం, লং/লবঙ্গ lông/lôbonggo, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka are largest producers in India.

Kali Mirch Peppercorns مرچ‎کالی काली मिर्च மிளகு കുരുമുളക് miriyalu, మిరియాలు

Methi leaves Fenugreek leaf میتھی मेथी पत्ता வெந்தய கீரை ഉലുവ ഇല మెంతి ఆకులు, মেথি পাতা methi pata,

Methi seeds Fenugreek seed मेथी सीड्स வெந்தயம் ഉലുവ మెంతులు, মেথি methi,

Naaga Keshar नागा केशर

Namak Salt نمک नमक உப்பு ഉപ്പ് ಉಪ್ಪು, ఉప్పు, লবণ/নুন lôbon/nun,

Nimbu Lemon / Lime لیمو नींबू எலுமிச்சை ചെറുനാരങ്ങ ನಿಂಬೆ ಹಣ್ಣು, ‘నిమ్మ కాయ’, লেবু lebu,

Pudina Mint پودینہ पुदीना புதினா പുതിന ಪುದಿನ, পুদিনা,

Pyaz / Ganda Onion پیاز प्याज़ / गांडा பல்லாரி வெங்காயம் സവാള/വലിയ ഉള്ളി ఉల్లి పాయ, পেঁয়াজ peaj,

Panch Phoron पञ्च फोरों পাঁচ ফোড়ন pãch foṛon This is a Bengali spice mix that combines aniseed, cumin, fenugreek, mustard and nigella

Pathar Ka Phool Black Stone Flower پتھر کا پھول पत्थर के फूल கல்பசி కల్లుపచి, दगड फुल

Pippali Long pepper पिप्पलि கண்டந்திப்பிலி പിപ്പലി ಹಿಪ್ಪಲಿ, , అనాసపువ్వు

Peeli Mirchi Yellow Pepper پیلی مرچ पीली मिर्ची മഞ്ഞ കാപ്സികം

Rai Brown Mustard Seed رائی‎ राइ கடுகு കടുക് ఆవాలు, , রাই

Ratin jot Alkanet root रातीं जोट

Safed Mirchi White Pepper سفید مرچ सफ़ेद मिर्च வெள்ளை மிளகு വെള്ള കുരുമുളക് తెల్ల మిరియాలు,

Saji na phool Citric acid सजी न फूल

Sarson mustard seed سرسوں सरसो, கடுகு കടുക് ఆవాలు, సరసావాలు, শরষে shorshe,

Sarson Tel Mustard oil سرسوں کا تیل सरसो तेल கடுகு எண்ணெய் കടുകെണ്ണ ఆవ నూనె, শরষের তেল shorsher tel,

Saunf/Sanchal Fennel seed سوںف सौंफ / संचल சோம்பு/பெறுஞ்சீரகம் ജീരകം/പെരുംജീരകം సోంపు, সঁওফ/মৌরি sôof/mouri,

Shahi Jeera Caraway Seeds شاہ زیرہ शाही जीरा கருஞ்சீரகம் കരിഞ്ജീരകം నల్ల జీలకర్ర, smaller in size than regular

Sirka Vinegar سرکہ सिरका വിനാഗിരി সির্কা

Soa sag Dill सोया साग சதகுப்பி శతపుష్పము, వకతరహా తోటకూర , ചതകുപ്പ,ಸಬ್ಬಸಿಗಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು, ಸಬ್ಬಸಿಗೆ ಬೀಜ

Sonth Dried ginger سونٹھ सोंठ சுக்கு ചുക്ക് ಶುಂಠಿ, సొంఠి, mostly powdered

Suwa or Shopa Aniseed सुव्वा / शोप సోంపు

Tej Patta Malabathrum, Bay Leaf तेज पत्ता பட்டை കറുവാപട്ട ഇല బిర్యానీ ఆకు, তেজ পাতা tej pata Both Malabathrum and Bay Leaf are similar and called as Tej Patta in Hindi. however, they are from two different families with difference in taste

Til Sesame seed تل तिल எள் എള്ള് నువ్వులు, তিল,

Shimla Mirch Capsicum شملہ مرچ शिमला मिर्च குடை மிளைகாய் കാപ്സികം ದಪ್ಪ ಮೆಣಸಿನಯಕಾಯಿ

Kali Zeera Black Cumin Aroma between cumin and diesel fuel

Tulsi Holy Basil تلسی तुल्सी துளசி തുളസി తులసి, తులసి ఆకు, তুলসী,

"Swim or Sink!" might be more popular than this title Think or Sink!
But that does not make this title less true on any scale!

When we do not think too well... we sink by ourselves.
When we think too well... the others will make us sink.

So which is the better option among these two?

Sink by ourselves without thinking hard and well
or let the others take care of the job of sinking us?

It is indeed a tough question and needs to be pondered
well before it could be answered.

Well! In any case we need an outlet for free thinking so that
the other threads can remain pure and unadulterated.

Welcome to think constructively on anything under
the sun and above it and to refrain from any
destructive and damaging thinking process.
:)

To think or sink?
Is difficult to ink!
But let me try,
Before my pen goes dry;

Pen, filled not with Bril,
That offers me thrill -
But with Parker Quink,
That evaporates in a wink.

Thoughts that come in a blink
Offering no time to think
Assuredly makes one sink.
And forces you to fink.

Cogitate.
Allow not thoughts to agitate!
Contemplate.
Dharma is your template.

Smorgasbord of thought
Better ought not!
Take guidance of the wise.
You would surely rise.

Pray, pray and pray!
Dine in the divine!!
You would see His luminous ray.
Life would definitely be fine.

- Dr. MSP Aiyer

A male birth control shot has been showing very promising results for decades. RISUG (Reversible Inhibition of Sperm Under Guidance) is an injection that is only being offered through clinical trials in India. Current clinical studies show that this male birth control shot has been shown to be 99% effective –- this is about the same rate of female hormonal birth control methods. The male birth control shot is non-hormonal, minimally invasive, reversible, and can last for 8-10 years
Madam if the above injection is marketed, madam Visalakshi, then you can expect more rape cases

A male birth control shot has been showing very promising results for decades. RISUG (Reversible Inhibition of Sperm Under Guidance) is an injection that is only being offered through clinical trials in India. Current clinical studies show that this male birth control shot has been shown to be 99% effective –- this is about the same rate of female hormonal birth control methods. The male birth control shot is non-hormonal, minimally invasive, reversible, and can last for 8-10 years
Madam if the above injection is marketed, madam Visalakshi, then you can expect more rape cases

I can relate the marketing of this miracle shot with less number of accidental births due to rape.
But more rape cases???
Is it because there will be no pregnancy in 99 out of 100 rapes?

Read this heart wrenching poem first. The story will follow!

Don't Ask My Child to Fly
Bruce Ritchie 1997

Don't ask my child to fly,
for he has not wings.
Don't ask my child to see the glint on the eagle's beak,
for his vision has been diminished.

Don't ask my child to remain calm amid the din,
for her ability to screen out the noises has been taken away.

Don't ask my child to be careful with "strangers",
for he is affectionate with everyone and prey for the unscrupulous.

Don't ask my child to "settle down",
for the clock which works for you and I, does not exist for her.

Don't ask my child to not play with the toys of others,
for he has no concept of property.

Don’t ask my child to remember you tomorrow,
although you met today.

Don't ask my child to heal your wounds,
for her hands cannot hold a scalpel or sutures.

Don't ask my child to meet the challenges set by society,
for you have denied her the tools.

Don't ask my child to forgive you for standing idly by,
while he was being tortured in his mother's womb,

for he will,
but He may not.

A very sad heartrending poem!

What made the author write it?

What made me locate it, read it and post it here???

Well here is the story.

While waiting for the VISA interview we met hundreds of people.

Some of them caught my fancy. One of them was a child with fish like goggle eyes who was constantly crying.

His mother was so stylish and his father appeared so rich. The child looked puny, deformed and ill tempered.

I did not know the name of the disease the child suffered from. So today I browsed till I found the answer!

It is called The Fetal Alcohol Syndrome - a completely preventable disease affecting the unborn children for life but one which is NOT being prevented.

I do not have the heart to reproduce the details and the images.

Those who want to know more about this, may please read the related articles.

The poem given above must be the product of one such troubled and remorseful parent.

One such cursed child for example! :(

The child looks more like baby monkey than a human child! :(

பொம்பளைப் போலீஸ்!!!

இவருக்கும் பெண் போலீசுக்கும் சேராது.

இவர் (திருட்டு?) முழியைப் பார்த்ததுமே
அவள் இவரிடம் எதாவது சொல்லுவாள்!

விசா interview முடிந்தவுடன் எல்லோரையும்
எதிரில் உள்ள கட்டிடத்துக்குப் போகச் சொன்னார்கள்.

இவர் எப்போதும் போல் குடுகுடு என்று முன்னால் ஓடிவிட, "கையைப் பிடிச்சு பத்திரமாக கூட்டிட்டு போங்க!"
என்று அவள் ஒரு அதட்டல் போட்டாளே பார்க்கவேண்டும்.

நாற்பது இரண்டு ஆண்டுகளுக்குப் பின் மீண்டும் ஒருமுறை "கைத்தலம் பற்றி" பத்திரமாகக் கூட்டிச் சென்றார் என்னை!!!

(The story and the post belong to 2012!)

Read this heart wrenching poem first. The story will follow!

Don't Ask My Child to Fly
Bruce Ritchie 1997

Don't ask my child to fly,
for he has not wings.
Don't ask my child to see the glint on the eagle's beak,
for his vision has been diminished.

Don't ask my child to remain calm amid the din,
for her ability to screen out the noises has been taken away.

Don't ask my child to be careful with "strangers",
for he is affectionate with everyone and prey for the unscrupulous.

Don't ask my child to "settle down",
for the clock which works for you and I, does not exist for her.

Don't ask my child to not play with the toys of others,
for he has no concept of property.

Don’t ask my child to remember you tomorrow,
although you met today.

Don't ask my child to heal your wounds,
for her hands cannot hold a scalpel or sutures.

Don't ask my child to meet the challenges set by society,
for you have denied her the tools.

Don't ask my child to forgive you for standing idly by,
while he was being tortured in his mother's womb,

for he will,
but He may not.

Touching...

அரியதுஅரியது கேட்கின் வரிவடி வேலோய்
அரிதரிது மானிடர் ஆதல் அரிது

மானிடர் ஆயினும் கூன்குருடு செவிடு
பேடு நீங்கிப் பிறத்தல் அரிது

பேடு நீங்கிப் பிறந்த காலையும்
ஞானமும் கல்வியும் நயத்தல் அரிது

ஞானமும் கல்வியும் நயந்த காலையும்
தானமும் தவமும் தான்செயல் அரிது

தானமும் தவமும் தான்செய்வ ராயின்
வானவர் நாடு வழிதிறந் திடுமே.

ஔவையார்

Hundreds of disabilities and diseases are ready to affect human race and they are out of our control. But FAS is within our control. If a woman loves alcohol more than having a healthy baby she had better NOT become pregnant! :mad:

I am sure that there many gender related problems. Hearing defect and leg pain fall in that category.

Most of the people who had difficulty in walking were invariably women - young and old, lean and fat, short and tall...all were affected in the same way.

All the people who had problem in hearing and talking fluently were invariable men.

Most of them are exposed to dangerously high decibels at work and while traveling. I am sure most of them have forgotten to talk coherently and express their views clearly and concisely - in grunts and gasps!

May be they are on the receiving side and never on the delivering side of speeches ... thanks to the mamis and their monologues!!!

Man can hide behind the spread newspaper and pretend to be hearing the monologue - until the fateful day when man continues his periodic 'um' log after the monologue was over! :giggle:

It is NOT JUST the divorce rate that has increased in recent years. Many engagements break even before the weddings takes place!

The reason...???

The girls reveal their true nature (swaroopam and swabhavam) during their chat with the prospective grooms
shocking them out of their slumber (rude awakening???)

or the boys make their real swaroopam and swabhaavam
made known to the prospective brides!!!

Should we feel happy that a wrong union was prevented OR
feel sad that these boys and girls are so rigid already that
they do not even want to try out the union???

The weddings in which the brides were of a tender and impressionable age had its own advantages.

The brides were young, open to suggestions, willing to learn and willing to please their elders. They had not yet formed their firm outlooks and stubborn opinions. Nor had they cherished their EGO!

They learned the life style of their in-law's house and adopted to their customs and concepts more easily.

They did not have time to fall in love with other boys and mess up their wedded lives. They were like clean new slates which are the best to write upon!

Talking of clean slates made me remember something very interesting! Please read on!

23. Tabula Rasa

“Tabula rasa” is the theory that individuals are born without built-in mental content. All their knowledge comes from experience and perception.

The proponents of the Tabula rasa thesis favor the “nurture” side of the Nature vs Nurture debate, when it comes to aspects of one’s personality, social and emotional behavior, and intelligence.

The term in Latin equivalent to the English “blank slate” or “erased slate”. The word comes from the Roman tabula the wax tablet used for writing notes. The writings were erased or “blanked” by heating the wax and then smoothing it to give a tabula rasa.

Traces of the idea that came to be called the tabula rasa appear as early as the writings of Aristotle. He wrote the first textbook of Psychology in De Anima or On the Soul, Book III, chapter 4.
However the notion of the mind as a blank slate went largely unnoticed for more than 1,000 years.

In the 11th century, the theory of tabula rasa was developed more clearly by the Islamic philosopher, Ibn Sina. He argued that the “human intellect at birth is rather like a tabula rasa, a pure potentiality that is actualized through education and comes to know”.

The knowledge is attained through familiarity with objects in this world from which one abstracts universal concepts. This is developed through a syllogistic method of reasoning;

” Observations lead to prepositional statements, which when compounded lead to further abstract concepts.”

He further argued that the intellect itself “possesses levels of development from the material intellect, that potentiality can acquire knowledge to the active intellect. The state of the human intellect at conjunction with the perfect source of knowledge.”

In the 12th century, Ibn Tufail demonstrated the theory of tabula rasa as a thought experiment. He depicted the development of the mind of a feral child from a tabula rasa to that of an adult, in complete isolation from society, on a desert island through experience alone.

The translation of his novel entitled Philosophus Autodidactus, published in 1671, had an influence on John Locke’s formulation of tabula rasa in An Essay concerning Human Understanding.

Tabula rasa is also featured in the psychoanalysis of Sigmund Freud. He depicted personality traits as being formed by family dynamics.

Freud’s theories imply that humans lack free will, but also that genetic influences on human personality are minimal. In psychoanalysis, one is largely determined by one’s upbringing.

Tabula rasa is also used by 18th century philosopher Jean-Jacque Rousseau in order to support his argument that warfare is an advent of society and agriculture, rather than something that occurs from the human state of nature.

Since tabula rasa states that humans are born with a “blank-slate” Rousseau uses this to suggest that humans must learn warfare.

The tabula rasa concept became popular in social sciences in the 20th century. The idea that genes (or simply “blood”) determined character took on racist overtones.

By the 1970s, some scientists had come to see gender identity as socially constructed rather than rooted in genetics – a concept still current although strongly contested.

Can I make a wild guess as to who is in charge of the pantry
and / or cooking???:unsure:
ha ha ha Madam I am born with sisters and three bros. Do you think my mother allows me to enter the kitchen. highly impossible, for your query my wife does it even now , ok. I hope I have clarified your doubts.
OK jokes apart, please tell me all the 5star hotels have chef as men, do you agree? Even in puranic stories, we were told Nala Bagam, Bheema is an expert in cooking. I hope they are men.
If you happen to be in Europe or US, either for studies or for work, and if you happen to be Veg, is it not better to learn cooking??

Latest ads

Back