• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Think or sink!

I can imagine what it would be during war times!

Even when the Groceries are available in plenty,
there is a certain melancholy during the meal times!

Maybe if all of us consume less food...
we can reduce the number of visits
to the shop in this critical time!

In this critical time, it is good idea to stay healthy. So consuming quality food is essential.
With kids around, parents have more work in the kitchen to give them some varieties of food.
If adults are also foodies, more work will be added!

In this critical time, it is good idea to stay healthy. So consuming quality food is essential.
With kids around, parents have more work in the kitchen to give them some varieties of food.
If adults are also foodies, more work will be added!

One must try to remain healthy always!
Health is the real Wealth! Have no doubts!

But we are talking about two different things now!

I am talking bout the quantity of food eaten
and you about the quality of food eaten!

In a household which has six people spanning three generations,
in which two are too old to go out in this critical time / or at anytime
and two are too young to go out on their own at anytime,
and the promised 'home delivery' which never seems to happen,
every morsel counts - may not be for the cost but for the need to shop! :(

A proverb a day to brighten the day.

184a. Rom wurde nicht an einem Tag erbaut.
184b. Rome was not built in a day.

Everything takes time and every action needs a certain time to get completed.
A majestic tree can't grow overnight - except in the Fairy tales!

A human baby needs 40 weeks to grow and get ready to be born. Elephants have the longest gestation period of all mammals. Their pregnancies last for more than a year and a half. The average gestation period of an elephant is about 640 to 660 days, or roughly 95 weeks! Hence the expression "Gaja Garbbam"!

footnotes:-
Rom = Rome
wurde = was
nicht = not
erbaut = built
an = in
einem Tag = one day

Older people are supposed to eat ONLY half stomach full but growing childern can't do this!!!
Now that some items are given in ration, visit to shops have to be done often, not forgetting to take enough precautions.

Working from home has increased their workload tremendously!
Previously they could just talk to teach and finish off the class.

But now every lesson is to be prepared like a YouTube presentation!
May be next year they may be able to use the same material if necessary.
But right now they do not have the time or energy to go for shopping frequently!

Good thing I am not a traditional cook but am versatile and flexible. Now the tamarind concentrate for making sAmbAr has been replaced by the juice of fresh lemon from the backyard!!

I have to think up of an alternative for sAmbAr powder before it gets exhausted! :(
Or just cook dAl with tomatoes, pepper, jeerA and salt (North Indian style?) :)

185a. Es gibt keinen Rauch ohne Feuer.
185b. There is no smoke without fire.

I am sure now some people create smoke without fire - by vaping! :(

Originally every smoke was accompanied by a fire- burning or just extinguished.
So smoke became an indication to the presence of a fire.

footnotes:
Es gibt = There is
keinen = no
Rauch = smoke
ohne = without
Feuer = fire.

Smoking has several effects on the smoker's body!

My Doctor brother used to say,
"Every smoker has to pay a heavy price for smoking!
It may cost him an arm or a leg or a lung!" :(

I used to know one 'anjaa nejan' family friend -
who was both a diabetic and a chain smoker.

His legs were amputated in many bits and parts.
He was hardly 5' tall - even when he was normal!

Before he died, he had had one leg amputated
above the knee and the other below the knee.

Some rituals and practices are very convenient for some people!

UpavAsam days are NOT spent thinking / talking / reading / listening about God.
But special care is taken to eat the choicest dishes on that day.

How about half a litre of moong dhal porridge made with jaggery and coconut milk?
OR half a dozen sweet dosai (vella dosai) made with jaggery powder?
Of half a dozen banana and half a litre of enriched bAdhAm milk?

TharpaNam which is to be performed on the New Moon days is neglected
but not eating some exotic dish with its accessories for the supper!

Man should concentrate on the important things and let go of the others!
But in stead of this, just the converse seems to be happening! :(

One can clear a well or a puddle of dirty water
by one large leap but never with two half leaps!

The two half leaps do not add up arithmetically to make up for a large leap!

The premature lifting of the lock down may and most certainly will backfire.
And whatever / whoever comes back to get us, usually comes with a vengeance!

186a. Es gibt keine Rose ohne Dornen.
186b. There is no rose without thorns.

Why do the plants which bear beautiful colorful and fragrant roses have thorns?
Roses have thorns to prevent animals from eating them due to their fragrant smell.

Thorns are there to protect the plant from predators. There are some animals that like to eat the flower or parts of the flower. There is no benefit to the plant to have its flowers eaten. But these thorns do not deter man from plucking the flowers and putting these to various uses!

Roses are best known as ornamental plants grown for their flowers in the garden and sometimes indoors. They have been also used for commercial perfumery and commercial cut flower crops.

Some are used as landscape plants, for hedging and for other utilitarian purposes such as game cover and slope stabilization.

Es gibt = There is
keine = no
Rose = rose
ohne = without
Dornen = thorns

187a. Für das willige Herz ist nichts unmöglich.
187b. For the willing heart, nothing is impossible.

Success = X % Inspiration and (100 - X ) % Perspiration.
X varies depending on the genius of the particular person.

But whether X = 1 % or whether X = 99 % success is assured -
if one keeps going on undeterred by his failures and hardships.

The famous inventor Thomas Alva Edison had acquired a record number
of 1093 patents for his inventions - either singly or jointly with the others.

But he is supposed to have made 1000 unsuccessful attempts
before he could get the electric bulb right!

The mantra is " Make your dream come true!"

Für = For
das = the
willige = willing
Herz = heart
nichts = nothing
ist = is
unmöglich = impossible.

188a. Eine Einzelblume ist keine Girlande.
188b. A solitary flower is not a garland.

A solitary tree is not a garden!
A solitary child is not the 'children'.
A solitary flower is not a garland.

Union of many singles is needed to make
a garden or the children or a garland.

Eine = One
Einzel = solitary
blume = flower
ist = is
keine = not a
Girlande = garland

"May I hug you please?"
This expression may become obsolete soon.

Family members need no permission to hug!
Strangers will not be encouraged to hug in the future!

A longstanding custom might come to an end!
Thanks to Corona Virus and COVID 19!

ஆயிரம் பேர்களைக் கொன்றவன் அரை வைத்தியன்!

ஆயிரம் பேர்களைக் கொல்பவன் அரைக் கிறுக்கன்!

The wise will be recognized the moment they start to speak.
The same is true of the 'otherwise' and the 'unwise' as well!

By remaining silent the 'otherwise' and the 'unwise'
may be sometimes be mistaken and pass off to be the wise!

When steeped in ignorance it is time to shut up and listen
to those who really know what they are talking about!!

A man who admits ignorance and seeks knowledge remains ignorant for just one day.
The man who pretends to have knowledge remains ignorant to the end of his days!

When The East Meets The West ...we have a musical Feast! :)

Attachments area
Preview YouTube video Pink Panther meets Veena - Cup O' Carnatic Fun Series - Dr. Jayanthi Kumaresh

Preview YouTube video Beethoven meets Veena - Cup O' Carnatic Fun Series - Dr. Jayanthi Kumaresh

Preview YouTube video iPhone meets Veena - Cup O' Carnatic Fun Series - Dr. Jayanthi Kumaresh

Last edited:
Sree Vaidhya nAtha ashtakam with lyrics and sung in rAgamAlika by Akkarai sisters.

Attachments area
Preview YouTube video Vaidyanatha Ashtakam - Akkarai Sisters - Composition of Jagadguru Srī Ādi Śankarāchārya

189a. Verdacht vergiftet Freundschaft.
189b. Suspicion poisons friendship.

Every successful relationship is built on trust. Be it the relationship between the spouses, or parents and their children, or between friends or between relatives.

If no trust or mistrust prevails, the relationship will be as shaky as a building constructed without any foundation.

Faith and trust are the foundations of a firm relationship.
samsayaathmaa vinashyathi = He who doubts gets destroyed!
(according to Lord Krishna in Bhagavat Gita)

Verdacht = Suspicion
vergiftet = poisons
Freundschaft = friendship

Life can go on because man is able to forget the events which took place in his past and also in his previous births. If he would remember everything that happened in every birth, he would not be able to live on in peace!

Maybe we had lived during a world war! May be we had lived under a mad king who was guided and emboldened by his bad minsters! Maybe we had suffered dying during an epidemic or pandemic in the past.

Thankfully we don't remember any of them any more! So we are able to live now!

Tabula Rasa

“Tabula rasa” is the theory that individuals are born without built-in mental content. All their knowledge comes from experience and perception.

The proponents of the Tabula rasa thesis favor the “nurture” side of the Nature vs Nurture debate, when it comes to aspects of one’s personality, social and emotional behavior, and intelligence.

The term in Latin equivalent to the English “blank slate” or “erased slate”. The word comes from the Roman tabula the wax tablet used for writing notes. The writings were erased or “blanked” by heating the wax and then smoothing it to give a tabula rasa.

Traces of the idea that came to be called the tabula rasa appear as early as the writings of Aristotle. He wrote the first textbook of Psychology in De Anima or On the Soul, Book III, chapter 4.

However the notion of the mind as a blank slate went largely unnoticed for more than 1,000 years.

In the 11th century, the theory of tabula rasa was developed more clearly by the Islamic philosopher, Ibn Sina. He argued that the “human intellect at birth is rather like a tabula rasa, a pure potentiality that is actualized through education and comes to know”.

The knowledge is attained through familiarity with objects in this world from which one abstracts universal concepts.

This is developed through a syllogistic method of reasoning; ” Observations lead to prepositional statements, which when compounded lead to further abstract concepts.”

190a. Der Zorn eines guten Mannes ist am schwersten zu kontrollieren.
190b. The anger of a good man is the hardest to bear.

The anger of a usually good tempered person erupts like a volcano.
It is difficult to control or contain or even to put up with.

At the same time, the anger of a usually good tempered person is short lived.
Such a person can not be angry for a long time. He forgives and forgets easily.

Footnotes:-
Der = The
Zorn = anger
eines guten Mannes = of a good man
ist = is
am schwersten = the hardest
zu = to
kontrollieren = to control

May I hug you?

#1.
The guest house was renovated and made self-sufficient meet our requirements.
The renovators were 3 members of the same family and had all the skills needed for the entire range of the jobs involved.

They took personal interest in the project for the old couple - coming all the way from India to U.S.A!

When I thanked them profoundly for the excellent job they had done in record time, the main man of the team ( an Italian, may be younger to me by 5 years!) asked my son's permission to hug me!

He hugged me ever so gently - as if I am a fragile doll made of the finest porcelain!!!

#2.
We visited a Home Exhibition for all the house requirements - from the doors to the finest electronic gadgets. A young boy was trying to sell an electronic gadget - good enough for a physiotherapist.

It was as cool as it was costly. The main unit no larger than a tablet costed 1000 $ and the range of accessories costed extra.

Naturally no one even went near him showing any interest. I like to gain knowledge wherever I go. So I put some questions to the boy and tried to learn more about that modern marvel - as much as I could.

Later the boy would not allow us to go ff without buying a unit! May be his very job depended on it. He became a 'vidaak kaNdan' while I tried to resist buying it (spending one grand) like a 'kodAk kaNdan'.

He reduced the price from 1000 $ to 700 $. He threw in all the accessories for free. He made his offer irresistible! My younger son browsed on his phone and found out that we were offered something for a mere 50%of its market value. He bought it right away since he could claim the amount spent by a using a certain clause included in his health insurance scheme.

The young boy was so overwhelmed that he asked for my son's permission to hug me!
I told him with a smile, "You are young enough to be my grandson! So go ahead!" and he hugged me gently with a great reverence due for an old Indian lady!

#3.
It was the most memorable trip back to India through Singapore. Usually the metal detector beeps when I enter! May be I am magnetic?!

On that particular day the metal detector beeped for each and every person - both males and females! I wondered as to what will be my fate! But surprisingly it did not beep as I walked through. I became so happy and excited that I HAD to hug someone - anyone!

The young Chinese girl at that gate reminded me of someone I know very well. So I asked her, "May I hug you please!" She laughed and said, "Yes please!" I hugged her as if she were my own family member.

I wondering all the time, 'How would it look if a man hugged a total stranger - the way I was doing now? Do women really have more license and freedom to show their love and affection?'

#4.
This was a total surprise - since it happened in India - in T.N - in my sister's house. A member of the forum visited us. Before taking leave of us, a surprise-group-hug was given both to me and my husband. And yet it looked and felt most natural!

#5.
There came the most hug-worthy-member of the forum .. to my knowledge. So it was my turn to hug her now!

To think that all such things cannot and will not happen in the future makes me sad. Even grand children do not want to be hugged or touched unnecessarily. So I keep reminding myself silently all the time, "No touching! No touching!"

How the Corona Virus and COVID 19 have transformed the Whole Wide World now!

191a. Die Katze kann ihre Augen schließen, während sie Sahne stiehlt, aber die Welt kann es immer noch sehen.
191b. The cat can shut its eyes while stealing the cream, but the world can still see it.

The ostrich is believed to bury its hand in sand and imagine that no one can see it any more - since it cannot see anything any more.

The cat closes it eyes while stealing the cream and imagines that since the whole is dark now - no one can see it stealing the cream.

Man does better than these two - since he knows how to pull wool over the eyes of those people, who he thinks need not know what he is doing. He does not close his own eyes but closes those of all the others!

Die = The
Katze = cat
kann = can
schließen = close
ihre Augen = its eyes
während = while
sie = it
stiehlt = steals
Sahne = the cream
aber = but
die = the