• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Think or blink!!!

I received this in my inbox.

Interesting bit for English lovers

Once Ishwarchandra Vidyasagar jokingly asked Madhusudhan Dutt, "As you are a Master in English, can you make a sentence without using a single 'E'?"

Dutt, the genius, wrote this...
"I doubt I can. It’s a major part of many many words. Omitting it is as hard as making muffins without flour. It’s as hard as spitting without saliva, napping without a pillow, driving a train without tracks, sailing to Russia without a boat, washing your hands without soap. And, anyway, what would I gain? An award? A cash bonus? Bragging rights? Why should I strain my brain? It’s not worth it."

But there is something more which I have to share with you now.

184. Laudable Lipogram

Books in which certain letters of the English alphabets are omitted deliberately are called Lipograms. Writing such a book is difficult by itself. But imagine writing a novel, without the use of the letter “e”– the most used alphabet in English!

But the American author Ernest Vincent Wright has performed this miraculous task. He had written 300 pages long novel “Gadsby” containing more than 50,000 words, without using the vowel “e” even once!

Wright had taped down the key with “e” on it, so that it would be impossible to use it. He chose his words carefully and succeeded in writing a novel, in which words seem to flow freely and naturally and are not noticeably forced or strained!

It took him 165 days to write this unique book. Not a single word of the text contains the letter “e”! However the strain of writing such a book was too much for him. He died on the very day of the publication of his book!

Gadsby has become highly prized by the collectors of rare books. Today a copy can be sold for more than 1000 U.S Dollars!

Wright’s willful wrestling with words was not wasted after all!

Visalakshi Ramani

https://visalakshiramani.wordpress.com/articles/general-interest/laudable-lipogram/

We must thank our stars if we travel as per schedule without getting harmed physically/ emotionally/ psychologically!

I bet they gave each other a good haircut 'to become boys'!!!
I also know why they had 'to become boys' serving radom men from close range!

• NewsNewsBytes
    Sisters run ill father's barbershop disguising themselves as boys
    In rural Uttar Pradesh, where women are mostly confined to their homes, two teenage sisters have been running a male salon in Banwari Tola village, and that too for five long years. How? Well, they disguised themselves to be boys for the entire period to run their father's barbershop, after he became ill in 2014. Acknowledging this effort, the state government recently honored them.

I wish someone would collect all the hair balls thrown by the women living in the upper floors. They can MAKE money and we can have some decent surroundings to live in! :(
Kazhi chadai = fallen hair
It is the worst term of contempt in Tamizh.

• NewsNewsBytes
    Pakistan earns Rs. 94L exporting 100,000kg human hair to China
    Our neighbor Pakistan is known to be a country rich in natural resources such as coal, gemstones, and copper, among others. Interestingly, it is also a resourceful country when it comes to exporting human hair. Pakistan has exported over 100,000 kg of human hair worth $132,000 or Rs. 94 lakh to China in the last five years. Here's more on this.

Maybe they were plastic paneer dishes!
If only we knew what all we eat with our food in the form of wood, filaments and fibres!!!

NewsNewsBytes
Maharashtra: Family finds plastic fiber in paneer dishes, Zomato apologizes
On Friday, a family in Aurangabad, Maharashtra ordered food from Zomato but were shocked to find that the paneer dishes had plastic fiber. The food was ordered by one Sachin Jamdare who said her daughter complained the paneer was too tight. Subsequently, Jamdare filed a police complaint. After the incident got attention, the food delivery platform apologized to the customer. Here's what happened.

How does it matter whether the end of creation is caused by praLaya jalam or vadvAgni??? Man is helpless when Nature decides to mess with him using any the five great elements

NewsThe Independent
Greenland's ice melting four times faster than in 2003, new study suggests
Greenland‘s ice is melting far faster than initially thought and may have reached a “tipping point”, with the rate of ice loss now four times quicker than it was in 2003, a new study suggests. Scient

Down the memory lane???

StyleThe Independent
Oscars: Most iconic dresses of all time from Audrey Hepburn to Gwyneth Paltrow
The 91st Academy Awards ceremony will take place on Sunday 24 February, at Hollywood’s Dolby Theatre, heralding the end of awards season. Since its inauguration in 1929, the Oscars has been eagerly watched by devoted cinephiles but, over the years, it has also become one of the most-anticipated events for fashion aficianados. From Audrey Hepburn’s timeless take on formal dressing in the 50s to the fully-fledged glamour of the likes of Nicole Kidman in the 90s and today’s dazzling ensembles from Lupita Nyong’o and Emma Stone, the Academy Awards provides the perfect platform for A-listers and designer brands alike to celebrate the symbiotic relationship between film and fashion.

Brilliant question! Here is my answer.

If Music makes the musicians ( and the audience suffer)
then it is not really Music. It is gymnastics.

Look at our musicians! They live on to become 80+ if not 90+ and look so happy, healthy, serene and sweet.

NewsThe Independent
Music is good for our health, so why are musicians suffering so much?
“Music was my refuge,” the writer Maya Angelou once said. “I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.”

"My way or highway" can not be labeled as 'Compromising"

NewsThe Independent
Government shutdown: Trump hits out at Democrats for rejecting offer of 'compromise' over Mexico border wall
Donald Trump lashed out at the Democrats after they rejected his so-called “compromise” proposal to end the US government shutdown and secure $5.7bn in funding for his border wall. The president accused House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of being a “radical” and acting “irrationally” during a series of tweets on Sunday and blamed his opponents for the continuing impasse, which has now entered its 31st day. Ms Pelosi responded by calling on Mr Trump to re-open the government before starting talks on border issues, while Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said the president’s plan would be blocked.

kaisa nEtha..... waisa janatha!
Hardly surprising to me!!!
Book by ex-staffer claims White House is 'out of control'
Washington, Jan 21 (IANS) A book written by a former White House staffer has described back-stabbing and duplicity within the West Wing and claimed that it was "out of control". "Team of Vipers", written by by Cliff Sims, a former communications staff member and a President Donald Trump loyalist who worked on his campaign, is slated to be published at the end of January, reports The New York Times.

The things world needs most now are
'mental monkeys made to order!'

NewsThe Independent
Chinese scientists create gene-edited monkey clones with mental health disorders
A group of five gene-edited macaque monkeys has been cloned using skin cells in a move the scientists behind the work say will help understand human diseases. As clones, all the monkeys have the same DNA altered, resulting in symptoms seen in human conditions including anxiety, depression and schizophrenia. Undertaken at a laboratory in China, the work used the same technique as that applied to produce Zhong Zhong and Hua Hua - the first two cloned monkeys - last year.

Latest ads

Back