• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Think it over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Na sa sabha yatra na santi vrddha
Vrddha na te ye na vadanti dharmam

Meaning :Where there are no elders that is not an assembly and those who do not speak Dharma are not elders.

I was wondering that why is it often thought that Elders=Wise?
We cannot become wise overnight isn't it just say for example we turn 50 and next day we wake up wise.

Does old age always equal to be getting wise or it makes the aging process better by covering up the morbidity of old age with wisdom?

I am saying this cos when I compare myself now and twenty plus years ago I feel I was ok as a 20 year old and tend to get more outrageous with age with some bizarre thoughts too.

So how can it always be true that aging = wisdom?

Last edited:
We cannot become wise overnight isn't it just say for example we turn 50 and next day we wake up wise.

Does old age always equal to be getting wise or it makes the aging process better by covering up the morbidity of old age with wisdom?

I am saying this cos when I compare myself now and twenty plus years ago I feel I was ok as a 20 year old and tend to get more outrageous with age with some bizarre thoughts too.

So how can it always be true that aging = wisdom?

Aging has NO relevance to wisdom...Can wisdom be described as wise thinking...?? ..

TVK

VisammaJi

People come closer when somebody makes a great decision.
Generally confidence is purely based on your participation over a long
period as to how you feel, Dr Renuka Mam has rightly put it. People
with strong religious beliefs can contribute a lot. Why wish to rest!!

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Sowbagyavathy Renuka, Greetings.

I refer to your message in post # 1101.

I have no doubt. I am convinced, age and wisdom are not proportional ( also, education and wisdom are not proprtional either). Personally, I was the wisest when I was 19 - 23 years old. I just lost that sharp thinking, lightning fast reflexes ( yes, I had that. Even now sometimes this old body has a very fast reflex; but not like those years).

My wisdom was the lowest at the age of 53-54 years ( that is as of now. Don't know the future; it may further deteriorate). I know, Just one case, that too a person like me is a very bad choice of sample... but, from my own experience, wisdom and age are not directly proportional.

Cheers!

Thank you for one more modified name Visammaji! :)

VisammaJi

People come closer when somebody makes a great decision.
Generally confidence is purely based on your participation over a long
period as to how you feel, Dr Renuka Mam has rightly put it. People
with strong religious beliefs can contribute a lot. Why wish to rest!!

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

சாம்பற் கயிறு.

அரசன் ஒருவன் அறிவித்தான்,
அனைவரையும் வியப்பிலாழ்த்தும்
அதிசயமான புதிய அறிவிப்பு;
அதுவரை யாருமே கேளாதது!

“அறுபது வயது முதியோர்களால்,
ஒரு பயனும் இல்லை, உலகுக்கு!
அவர்கள் பூமி தேவிக்கு வீண் பாரம்,
அவர்கள் உண்ணும் உணவும் வீணே!

நாட்டில் எல்லோருமே இளமையாக,
நல்ல அழகுடன் இருக்க வேண்டும்.
அறுபது வயது தாண்டிய முதியோரை,
அரிய தண்டனையாய் நாடு கடத்துவேன்!”

அரசன் ஆணையை மீற முடியுமா?
அதற்காக முதியோரை விட முடியுமா?
மதி மிகு அமைச்சர், அச்சம் என்பதின்றி
‘மாதக் கெடு’ மன்னனிடம் கேட்டார்.

ஒரு புதிய அறிவிப்பு வெளியானது.
‘ஒரு கயிற்றைச் சாம்பலால் செய்து
தருபவர்க்கு உண்டு பொற்காசுகளின்
அருமையான பரிசுக் கிழி ஒன்று’.

மாதக் கெடு முடியுமுன் வந்தான்,
மன்னன் கேட்டபடியே ஓர் இளைஞன்;
சாம்பற் கயிற்றினை அழகியதொரு
தாம்பாளத்தில் வைத்து எடுத்தபடி!

ஆயிரம் பொற்காசுகளை அளித்தபின்,
தூய அமைச்சர் கேட்டார் அவனிடம்,
“யார் சொல்லித் தந்தார் இதனை?
கூறு உண்மையினை அச்சமின்றி!”

“எழுபது வயது நிரம்பிவிட்ட என்
ஏழைத் தநதையின் எண்ணமே இது;
‘சாம்பல் கயிற்றைச் செய்ய முடியாது;
கயிற்றைச் சாம்பலாக்கி விடு’ என்றார்!

தாம்பாளத்தில் கயிற்றைப் பொசுக்கி,
தங்களிடம் எடுத்து வந்தேன் நான்”
“நாடு கடத்தப்படவேண்டுமா அரசே?
நல்லறிவு உடைய முதியவர்கள்?

எந்த இளைஞனுக்கும், பெண்ணுக்கும்,
இந்தக் கூர்மையான அறிவு இல்லையே!
அறிவு இருப்பவர்களையும் தாங்கள்
பூமிக்கு பாரம் எனக் கருதலாமா?”

அரசன் இது கேட்டு நாணமுற்றான்!
அரசு ஆணையை ரத்து செய்தான்.
அனைவரும் முன்போலவே மிகவும்
ஆனந்தமாக வாழத் துவங்கினர்.

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

Aging may reduce the speed of body reflexes but

certainly it improves the wisdom of the person.

Aging improves the quality and value of wine.

Aging improves the quality of the Idli / dosa dough by

proper fermentation.

Aging imparts sweetness to the sour mango and other fruits.

Aging makes a person mellow and kind hearted.

Aging may have negative effects on the physical body

but definitely it improves the wisdom of the person.

Wisdom is gained by experiences-personal or other people's.

So we can't LIVE for a long time without absorbing something from what

happens around us. I think people are confusing Intelligence with wisdom.

Youngster are more intelligent :flame:

but elders are wiser and nicer! :)

Fantastic madam. I am elated and safe, too! You mean to say we have a chance!

Thinking is a process.

Wisdom is the destination you reach after thinking!

You are confusing the path and the home!

Reflexes is purely physical. Wisdom is purely of the mind.

We get the wisdom teeth ONLY after we are

old enough to become wise.

If some people behave like inert gases and absorb NOTHING from around them, they are made that way.

But they are really rare like the inert gases themselves.:)

Sowbagyavathy Renuka, Greetings.

I refer to your message in post # 1101.

I have no doubt. I am convinced, age and wisdom are not proportional ( also, education and wisdom are not proprtional either). Personally, I was the wisest when I was 19 - 23 years old. I just lost that sharp thinking, lightning fast reflexes ( yes, I had that. Even now sometimes this old body has a very fast reflex; but not like those years).

My wisdom was the lowest at the age of 53-54 years ( that is as of now. Don't know the future; it may further deteriorate). I know, Just one case, that too a person like me is a very bad choice of sample... but, from my own experience, wisdom and age are not directly proportional.

Cheers!

'நாலு கழுதை வயசாச்சு! :doh:

இன்னும் புத்தி வரலையா?" :mad:

நா
ம் அடிக்கடி கேட்கும் டயலாக் இது! :ear:

எனக்குத் தெரிந்து ஒரு கழுதையின் வயசு = எட்டு ஆண்டுகள்! :rolleyes:

எனவே எட்டுக் கழுதை வயசு = தாத்தா / பாட்டி வகையறாக்கள்
!!!

Sowbagyavathy V R, Greetings.

I refer to your message in post #1111 (!).

I said 'sharp thinking.... and lighting fast reflex'. Sharp thinking is not physical. I mentioned 'lightening fast reflex' to denote the speed with which the brain could process information. What is wisdom? Is it not taking wise decisions too? When do we get dementia and alzhimers? We don't get them while we are young; we get them as we get older. வயசு ஆயிடுத்து....ஞாபக மறதி!...we usually associate loss of memory with advancement of age. How can we have shrewed and sharp decisions from ripe old person? Although we are so experienced, we are so hesitant to perform even a simple task as get older; we are afraid of failures. We lack the same confidence we had while we were young. Is this not the usual dialogue in most houses?.....வயசாயுடுத்தோல்லியோ? கிருஷ்ணா ராமான்னு ஒரு பக்கமா உக்கார வேண்டியதுதானே? உனக்கோ உடம்பும் முடியலை ; போறாத குறைக்கு, ஞாபக மறதி வேற! கண்ணும் சரியாத்தெரியலை... Wisdom!......yeah right!

Cheers!

Dear Sri Guruvayuappan

Ref your post # 1006. The relationship between Healing & Music is more than established. One has to
" perceive " the general feeling of well-being one gets just as one enters Dr Sunder's place. I cannot
describe it. I hope you never have the need to visit him as a patient- but if you ever had an opportunity
to accompany a person in pain [ as I have had ], I am sure you will agree.

Doctors treat, it's God who heals - I look at it this way, God in the form of music percolates through
Dr Sunder to his patients as the healing process itself.

One real life experience :

8 years ago, I was building my house in Chennai. He was on a casual evening walk while he passed by the
house which was under construction. I couldn't even say " Ullay Vaango " - everything was in a mess with
construction materials strewn all over the place. It wasn't until weeks later that I came to know that he had
told the maistry to raise the cooking medai by 3 inches - this he had done, remembering my wife, her height
and her posture-related back problem. He remembered that she stooped over the medai for extended
periods, making chappatis. How many patients must he be seeing every day with various ailments and why
should he suggest a remedy that would fetch him no consultation fee ? That's Dr Sunder.

He came humming a ragam, and went humming a ragam - music & healing rolled into one!

Should anyone on this austere forum ever feel the need I will readily refer Dr Sunder.

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem
dear anant manohar !
that is why we say GOD in the hearts of those who have real love for others.
we pleased to know more about Dr.sundar. definitely i will pay a visit to his clinic (kindly the address).many people are like Dr.sunder who are ready to give valuable tips.but many people are not ready to listen since it is coming as free of cost.
cheers,
guruvayurappan

'நாலு கழுதை வயசாச்சு! :doh:

இன்னும் புத்தி வரலையா?" :mad:

நா
ம் அடிக்கடி கேட்கும் டயலாக் இது! :ear:

எனக்குத் தெரிந்து ஒரு கழுதையின் வயசு = எட்டு ஆண்டுகள்! :rolleyes:

எனவே எட்டுக் கழுதை வயசு = தாத்தா / பாட்டி வகையறாக்கள்
!!!
dear VR!
kindlygive explanation for
kazhuthai theinthu katerumbu anapola
cheers,
guruvayurappan

I said 'sharp thinking.... and lighting fast reflex'. Sharp thinking is not physical. I mentioned 'lightening fast reflex' to denote the speed with which the brain could process information. What is wisdom? Is it not taking wise decisions too? When do we get dementia and alzhimers? We don't get them while we are young; we get them as we get older. வயசு ஆயிடுத்து....ஞாபக மறதி!...we usually associate loss of memory with advancement of age. How can we have shrewed and sharp decisions from ripe old person? Although we are so experienced, we are so hesitant to perform even a simple task as get older; we are afraid of failures. We lack the same confidence we had while we were young. Is this not the usual dialogue in most houses?.....வயசாயுடுத்தோல்லியோ? கிருஷ்ணா ராமான்னு ஒரு பக்கமா உக்கார வேண்டியதுதானே? உனக்கோ உடம்பும் முடியலை ; போறாத குறைக்கு, ஞாபக மறதி வேற! கண்ணும் சரியாத்தெரியலை... Wisdom!......yeah right!

Cheers!

Raghy Sir:
According to recent statistics, Alzheimer’s and dementia can affect even people as young as their 30s who can start to experience symptoms of early-onset dementia.
Alz-1
Alz-2
Alz-3

Last edited:

Cheers!
mr raghy has correctly revealed the pic.our past experience make us hesistant to take decision and also make us to avoid such utterence from our younters. we get one more word :vayasu ana alavukku putthi valaralaya ellai mayuinkypotcha?:

cheers,
Guruvayurappan

Once we visited a friend who had retired recently.
When asked how he spent his time, he replied cheerfully,
"I am in charge if the R.K.D!"
The word was new to us and I asked for the expansion of that abbreviation.
Again he replied cheerfully, "R K D stands for Rice Killing Department!" :hungry:
Sariyaana chaappaattu Raman! :rolleyes:

dearvR !
RKD is oriinally for unemployed youth.whenever somebody ask an unemployed where he is employed ,he will give reply as RKD.retired persons to be named PPP.(pozhuthu pokatha pervazhi)
cheers,
guruvayuappan

The deer-like rabbit was 110+ years old on the rabbit's life-span-scale.

He suffered from cataract and arthritis and was unable to hop around.

My son kept him as comfortable as possible - better than the way sons take care of their parents, or grandparents.

He kept a room heater for the rabbit corner. He added an air filter when it started losing hair.

He would give him some drops (rabbit vitamin?)

At times I used to envy these rabbits...for two reasons.

They had the good fortune of living with my son in his house and the amount of attention they got from him and his wife.

The Aattukkuti also loved the old rabbit.

It made him wish to live longer.

The old rabbit pulled on for long because of the love and care he got but died peacefully very recently.

The Aattukkutti became lonely and followed him quite unexpectedly a few days ago.

My daughter-in-law had been delaying getting babies since she thought
babies and bunnies do not mix well!

As if they had read her thoughts, they took off one after another before their son arrived.

They must have really loved my son and his family deeply.

Or my son will having the additional responsibility of taking caring of these bunnies in addition to his new born son, his three year old daughter and his wife (ordered to stay upstairs and take rest for at least a month).
dear vr!
it reminds me the explanation given by friends about the neccessity/havin of pet animals.they said it give the neccessary patience and experience to take care of their kids in future.timely arrival from office,follow food habit,periodic health schedule etc.and balancing mindsetup etc.
as you said their pet would have loved the new arrival?
cheers,
guruvayurappan

Raghy Sir:
According to recent statistics, Alzheimer’s and dementia can affect even people as young as their 30s who can start to experience symptoms of early-onset dementia.
Alz-1
Alz-2
Alz-3

Dear Sri. Naina, Greetings.

Yes, i am aware of the incidences of Alzheimer's amoung youngsters, but not common though. When i was writing my assignment on Alzheimers, it made me feel so sad. Diagnosis to alzheimers is like facing a death sentence. The advancement is so rapid too. In the nursing home I knew one gentleman took up residency; he was diagnosed with Alzheimers. Initially he used to talk to me well. But I knew the nature of the diesease; with in 6 months ho lost most of his cognetive functions; with in 18 months he passed away. So sad. The next resident I came across was a doctor; thankfully, I left that job looking went into mental health nursing.

Thanks for the links. They are eye openers. I am absolutely glad about one thing about our diet; Tumeric powder. The humble tumeric powder our forefathers brought to our diet is protecting us to some extend from the incidence of Alzheimers.
Alzheimer's disease
Scientists found that curcumin was able to reduce deposits of beta-amyloid proteins in the brains of elderly lab mice that ate curcumin as part of their diets. Furthermore, when the researchers added low doses of curcumin to human beta-amyloid proteins in a test tube, the compound kept the proteins from aggregating and blocked the formation of the amyloid fibers that make up Alzheimer's plaques.

Turmeric benefit and side effects, powder extract for treating medical conditions

Cheers!

I wonder how many of us have had moments where we wanted to say something else but had to be polite.
I can think of many such situations and this one is really funny.

When my son was a baby one real irritating relative well known for her acidic words saw my son and told this

"OMG he is sooo cute...he looks 100% your husband and not even bit like you..you are so lucky he looks like your husband"

I knew what she wanted to mean.....she wanted to say that my son looked good solely becos of my husband.BTW she is not at all good looking!!

I just said "thank you very much for the compliment"

But actually this is what I really wanted to say

"Of course he looks like my husband..do you expect him to look like your husband?"

I used to imagine what would have happened if I had said that!!:faint:

dear renuka ji!
we can reply in soft manner to that lady also.If my son is resembling my husband it shows my fidility and if your son
not having resemblance-it is your husband's botheration.likewise, many are making mistake by telling that the baby resembles his periappa/chittappa
guruvayurappan

In between falling in love many times (say N times) with the same person, :hug:

why does he /she fall OUT of love (N-1) times??? :bolt:

Is that a part of the successful marriage plan too??? :rolleyes:

it is like calling bell. if the striker is permanently attached to the gang due to sready flow of current ,the bell
will not make sound. it requires a break in current to make the striker hit the gang. so continuous love will not
give pleasure and the oodal will give the neccessary thrill.the current interuption is in the same circuit and hormone radiation or repeated love attempt to be with the same pair
good luck
guruvayurappan

I guess it is part of growing up and becoming mature.

A two year old child loves to play with balloons and soap bubbles.

A twenty year old will not care about these things.

He may want to play with bikes and pretty dames.

As the responsibilities keep increasing we will have neither the energy nor the

inclination for physical love. It sublimes to the mental level and the life goes on.

dear VR!
curiosity is the main basis ,once the curiosity vanish from one ,it switch over to
the another one.all tastes have their own season and reason.
gruvayurappan

Ravi..everything in this world loses its potency after a while.Everything is subject to decay.
That's why our body is called Deha(that which burns away) and Sharira(that which withers away)

Nothing is ever the same concentration forever and over.
When even Dharma can decline and God needs to reinstate it do you really expect me to believe that human love can last forever?

Its an illusion my child.So just play the game right and exit when time is up.

renuka madam!
very good explanation about deha and sarira. yes love act is like playing a l game and exit when next generation
are awaiting their turn.
guruvayurappan

Wow!! Its sounds like a divine soul / a Sanyasin is blessing me, calling me a child!!!!

See, dear Renuka, I truly did not expect you to believe that human love can last for ever..It's up to you to equip yourself with the spiritual philosophies and lead your life with all your belief and its applications. OR whatever you feel OK for you from time to time or for ever..Its all your choice. I have no expectations from you.

May be you are blessed with Wisdom like a Gnyaani and could not relate this physical world of humans and human relationships with a sort of reality for this / in this Bhoo Lokam / karma Bhoomi.

For me, there is nothing illusion until I get my self turned into a realized Gnyaan. OR I determine myself to become one Gnyaani and live my life in Isolation and Salvation, in my attempts to realize the absolute bliss, detaching my self from all the illusions you are talking about.

I feel, majority of humans on this Earth are on the same side as myself. If you have a different opinion about humans and human relationships in this world, we are living in, kindly share with all of us here.

So, considering the majority and excluding the folks in the path of true Gnyaam (who all have not committed in a relationship of marriage with all their plans and expectations of their life), I am of the opinion that, A true sense and expressions of LOVE (that is not purely on the foundation of LUST and SEX) always between married couples alone can ensure the existence of a successful marriage.

dear ravi!
successful marriage life is not defend on love alone. read the post of smt.VR.the marriage life continues cos of various duty and social setup as well as realisation of couples. If you did not get whAT you want,want what you have
good luck,
guruvayuarppan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back