• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

There’s a distinct caste-elitism in Carnatic sabha culture in Chennai, says musician

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully agree film music based on classical music are always more attractive than others.

Malargal kaettaen in O kadhal kanmani . Is its charm due to classical base or lyrics?What is the raaga?

But you also have " naane varugugiren' in same film -not classical enough but equally charming perhaps lyrics alone.

Those who sing film music have to be extremely Shruti Shuddham (base pitch) whereas the CM singers are not generally capable of this. CM or the elite music caters only to the ears accustomed to hearing it. I have seen many people in the audience of CM cutcheris who are so restless to identify the "rAga" and once they get this, either themselves or from someone sitting nearby, they continue chatting in hush hush tones and are not at all bothered to follow the further singing. It looks like a quiz show for finding out the rAga fastest!

Film music is therefore a shade better. Again many liberties are taken in mixing rAgas and so the rAga-searching CM connoisseur loses his interest in it.

Those who sing film music have to be extremely Shruti Shuddham (base pitch) whereas the CM singers are not generally capable of this. CM or the elite music caters only to the ears accustomed to hearing it. I have seen many people in the audience of CM cutcheris who are so restless to identify the "rAga" and once they get this, either themselves or from someone sitting nearby, they continue chatting in hush hush tones and are not at all bothered to follow the further singing. It looks like a quiz show for finding out the rAga fastest!

Film music is therefore a shade better. Again many liberties are taken in mixing rAgas and so the rAga-searching CM connoisseur loses his interest in it.
Will raga mixing lead to increased interest in classical music?

IMHO , film music based on classical music is like 20-20 cricket . will it eclipse the classical form in times to come?

Continued from post #6:

As for the obvious preponderance of brahmins in the field of CM, the reason can be that they are connoiseurs of arts in general and music in particular. This may be because they chant vedas which have musical notes. The careful way in which the vedas are chanted and taught (a consonent if stressed a little longer can give a different meaning to the word and that is the kind of discipline that is required in chanting vedas) has a lot of music in it. So music is there every where in a brahmins little, sAtvik world. The gene theory of Rob Boyd also says the same thing as the genes are profoundly affected in their very make up by the environment. So a brahmin in a brahmin household has more opportunity to keep hearing and understanding music. Please note I am making statements of just facts. I am careful not to add any superiority/inferiority connotations here. It is just that brahmins have more of music in their environment and that makes them up in a particular way.

So music is just second nature to brahmins and nothing can be done about that.

The rest of the problem identified by Mr. Krishna -- that the sabhas are dominated by brahmins, the sabhas favour brahmin artists etc., are the natural corrollories that are dove-tailing from the first fact mentioned above.

My point is that there is no scheming involved here and so there should not be any blame on brahmins.

Yes. As time passes, there will be more men and women from other communities learning and mastering CM.

We also need more experimenting with instruments and we can have symphonies. When we have that we will have our own Yehudi Menuhins who will be violin maestros. And in my ripe old age I may be choosing to go a symphony orchestra performance in preference to a CM kutchery even in Chennai. LOL.

i was so appalled by the post#3I, I had to find the an equivalent blasphemy.
The justification for casteism is as justifiable as apartheid was in Aouth Africa.

Apartheid is something that should be practiced all over the world. Multi-culturalism just doesn't work. It's failed everywhere it was forced.

Johannesburg was one of the most beautiful cities on the planet when the White South Africans built it up. They gave it back to the blacks who subsequently trashed it.

Colonialism had good intentions. To drag the primitive black Africans into civilization with the rest of the world and turn their pitiful countries into civilized societies. Shame our ancestors didn't realize sooner what a lost cause trying to help black "people" is.

I don't agree with colonialism or any White man stepping foot in Africa. I blame this for most of the problems in the western world today. Colonialism is the reason I hear gunshots every single night in the black majority neighborhood I currently reside in.31.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back