• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The total loss of Moral values at individual level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

For slum dwellers in Rohini, a residential district in North West Delhi, power theft is almost a way of life. There's little or no effort to hide it, and the method is simplicity itself: just find the nearest overhead power cable, sling a metal hook over it, then run a wire from the hook to the home.
stealing power 1.jpeg
Similar scenes can be seen in many parts of Delhi. According to the latest official estimate, as much as 42% of the power supplied to India's capital disappears through "transmission losses", meaning it is consumed without being paid for. In effect, it is stolen.

No other country suffers revenue losses on this scale. In China, Asia's other emerging economic giant, no more than 3% of the nation's power supply is lost to theft.

I know there will be a poor-support group to say, they are poor and can not pay.
There will be section that will say that Mr. Manmohan Singh has failed, or some other excuse.
This is corruption at individual level and all of India is participant. Then we talk about corruption, and loss of culture. This is total degradation of moral values.

For slum dwellers in Rohini, a residential district in North West Delhi, power theft is almost a way of life. There's little or no effort to hide it, and the method is simplicity itself: just find the nearest overhead power cable, sling a metal hook over it, then run a wire from the hook to the home.
View attachment 2027
Similar scenes can be seen in many parts of Delhi. According to the latest official estimate, as much as 42% of the power supplied to India's capital disappears through "transmission losses", meaning it is consumed without being paid for. In effect, it is stolen.

No other country suffers revenue losses on this scale. In China, Asia's other emerging economic giant, no more than 3% of the nation's power supply is lost to theft.

I know there will be a poor-support group to say, they are poor and can not pay.
There will be section that will say that Mr. Manmohan Singh has failed, or some other excuse.
This is corruption at individual level and all of India is participant. Then we talk about corruption, and loss of culture. This is total degradation of moral values.
I agree with this . The fashion today is to blame all politicians and the PM for the ills of this country .

Namaste Prasad1ji and All,

I see this issue(Failure of Morality at Individual Level) from two point of views and I am open to change my immature view by learning from you all so I request you all not mistake my views (personal? biased?) as argument/debate.

Failure of Morality, at Individual Level, from State(ie Government) point of view (ie Legal? or Illegal?):
It is also the duty of the "other(ex: not stealing power)" individuals to provide opportunities, to these morally(legally?) wrong(wronged?) individuals, to allow these individuals to build their life for betterment of society (country?) ie to make them moral individuals (citizens?). By electing individuals (representatives-MPs?MLAs?) from "their own morally strong lot". Now its Power, tomorrow these morally(legally?) wrong(wronged?) individuals will resort to rioting (Revolution? Haves-HaveNots?)

Failure of Morality, at Individual Level, from Religion(for simplicity Hinduism) point of view (ie Dharma? or ADharma?):
It is also the duty of the "other(ex: not stealing power)" individuals to provide opportunities, to these morally(dharmically?) wrong(wronged? purva janma paapam? hence bad/suffering in this janma?) individuals, to allow these individuals to build their life for betterment of society (religious-group?) ie to make them moral individuals (hindu?). By performing dharmic duties prescribed in dharma shastras ie Danam (education, food, clothes, shelter etc.,). Now its Power, tomorrow these morally(dharmically?) wrong(wronged? purva janma paapam? hence bad/suffering in this janma?) individuals will resort to rioting (Rakshasatvam? Haves-HaveNots?)

Sarve Janah Sukhino Bhavantu

Thanks,
Jai SiyaRaam

pAsi vanthida patthum parrakkum.

when poverty strikes values vanish.

the poverty is created by ....? by who... ?

but many well doing companies also rig the meter and bribe officials to pay less

You should see people in Nepal live. Even poor nepalis just as poor Indians across the borders are more honest anr trustworthy. So please give me a break, don't throw this pity for the corrupt because they are poor story.

Dear Sri Prasad,

You have takenup another important thread for discussion.

The reason for all these maladies in one word is "system failure". A society is made up of people. People are governed by a system of governance by moral, ethical and legal codes. These cannot be evolved in a day, it takes hundreds of years to instill discipline in a society. Religions help a lot in guiding the society. All the Religions have two sides, one is spiritual and other is moral.Both are evolved to keep a healthy society. In spite of all advancements, human species still retain some of the animal instincts. These can be contained by fear of punishment or refined by development of innate moral values. If any or none of these work then we may have to face utter chaos, complete disorder and confusion.
We have a beautiful word to maintain healthy society from individuals to society. That is "Dharma" roughly meaning "upholding the universal values".

"It is most difficult to define Dharma.
Dharma has been explained to be that which helps the upliftment of living beings.
Therefore that which ensures the welfare of living beings is surely Dharma.
The learned Rishis have declared that which sustains is Dharma."

(Thus Bhishma pitamaha explains in Shanti Parva in Mahabharata to Yudhishtira.)

Buddhism gives more importance to this word "Dhamma" in their sutras. It is truth itself.

Our Sastras instill the value of married life is to fulfill the four purusharthas in this order:
Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha.

Dharma finds the first place.
I wish the discussion is taken up seriously to help understanding our values.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
The fashion today is to blame all politicians and the PM for the ills of this country .
Dear Mr.Krishna, no body gets any delight in blaming the politicians or the PM for the ills of the country. If you will dig deep into this slum dwellers in delhi you will come across a stark truth that these people were alllowed to stay there by the local political party as a vote bank for them. I have lived in delhi for more than quater century and i can vouch that these are polotocal slums and nothing else. Once the area is created out of government land with these people after few uears the land would be in the hands of the land maifa group who will burn the slums or forcefully vacate the place and then sell them... FYI in Delhi even rich will steal power or will not pay the bill regularly.. that was the situation about 10 years back when i left for chennai.
Since you live in chennai have you seen the roadside temples festivals, political party celebrations, meetings all are done with stolen power. While we pay our charges regularly, these do not pay a single paise but cooly use the precious power for their party meetings etc.
Here the TN EB staff them self aid people to steal power but at the risk of vigilance check and penalty. So enjoy till you are caught!! Corruption is way of life and it has been started by the Politicians .. i mean the ruling class..

Cheers.

View attachment 2027

hi
not only in rohini.....what abt chandni chowk area....many areas in delhi ....thses things are very common... just for

vote bank....theses power thefts well known in delhi....many politicians knows very well......i heard that once

juggis were removed in koovum area in chennai....the slum clearence board provided multi storey accomodation

in pattunapakkam area....the same slum dwellers rent out their home...then again went to juggi area....these are very common

in india....SAB KUCH CHALTA HAI BHAI ....KOI POOCHNE WALA NAHI....KABI POOCHEGA TO RISWAT DENGE......INDIA RISWAT

DENE WALA BHI HAI....AUR RISWAT LENE WALA BHI HAI...so this very common attitude and the price of vote bank democracy...

Last edited:
You should see people in Nepal live. Even poor nepalis just as poor Indians across the borders are more honest anr trustworthy. So please give me a break, don't throw this pity for the corrupt because they are poor story.

u miss 2 things
Nepalis may be poor but they are not hungry.
i said with a tinge of sarcasm and bitterness .

you have vegam not.....

now only 2 purushartas in vogue the other 2 took back seat.

governing class selection is very critical for law and order .

big topic.

jeeva shrishti, ishvara shrishti, how whatever once valued gets ridiculed by jeeva shristi rulers , confusion due to that Indian context...etc etc many tag lines to understand to get a comprehensive glimpse on why the value system diminish .

hi
in indian democracy ....human values always in back seat....here in india ...president/prime minister are not directly elected

by the people.....i can say quantity democracy in india...but quality democracy in USA.....even our prime minister need not be

elected by the people...there are some back door/loop holes in our system.....i remember one story in punjab village....one newly

marriage couple came to that particular village....the bridegroom tells the bride....like this...they belong to jatt community....

JATT JATTNI SE KAHA .... AGAR IS GAON MEIN RAHNA THO....UUNND KO BILLI LE GAYEEE...HAAN JI HAAN JI KAHNA HAI...

.this is our value system

Last edited:
u miss 2 things
Nepalis may be poor but they are not hungry.
i said with a tinge of sarcasm and bitterness .

you have vegam not.....

When you want people to understand your writing (sarcasm), they must know you (or you must be famous). In your case I am sorry to say that you do not fit the bill. So next time you post a sarcastic or funny comment please mention it.

I actually logged in just to reply and second this post. I know Nepalis on a personal level here. They are some of my bestest and closest friends and I cannot stress how amazingly honest and trusthworthy and principled they are. On the bright side they are extremely impressed and look up to South Indians in general as opposed to our Indian bretheren whom the Nepalis have the misfortune (their own words not mine) to share their border with!

prasad ji

i take note of your kind words.

but u still missed the mood. i never supported or backed poor in those few lines i wrote . i just reflected on the Tamil proverb and translated in English and i even wrote rich also steal there by reflecting not the economic status but hunger, here emotions of fear, control the values ,clearly im taking to another level.

but u still wrote "give me a break " and come up with the nepali story.

appreciate if you could read more attentively before replying.

Stolen alright... but thats not to say it is not paid for, right?
So, stealing as much as it happens in China is OK?
I know telling you that a head of an organisation or an entity is ultimately responsible and is a role model for the overall ethics and moral behaviour of the rest of the population will get you heckled.

On the bright side they are extremely impressed and look up to South Indians in general as opposed to our Indian bretheren whom the Nepalis have the misfortune (their own words not mine) to share their border with!
Although I havent witnessed it personally, I have heard about certain areas where people care a hoot about what they owe to others.

Stolen alright... but thats not to say it is not paid for, right?

So, stealing as much as it happens in China is OK?

I know telling you that a head of an organisation or an entity is ultimately responsible and is a role model for the overall ethics and moral behaviour of the rest of the population will get you heckled.

Mr. Ozone,
What is your objection:
I should not post such articles. THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
That Indian corruption is acceptable. YOU MUST BE KIDDING.
There is no personal responsibility. MY POINT.
Just because you can blame it on someone else you have no obligation. LOL

post 8 #
dear MK !
you have given the facts which i wanted to post . every body in tamil nadu knows it . the slum is created for rigging the poll(elections )and give place for all anti social elements for achieving the politician ambitions. when one slum is cleared another one is created .after construction of ply over see the pathetic condition around it.the power theft is not done out of poverty and done for minting money.in village side inspite of free power, power theft continues .if they cut one phase in 3 phase supply ,they manipulate and run 3 phase motor . all are great technocrats.,
killipola pontati irunthalum ,korangu pola vappati vendum mind set applies to this also .
platform vendors will make harthal when they evacuated for facilitating the pedestrians
guruvayurappan

Mr. Ozone,
What is your objection:
None
I should not post such articles. THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
No problems with that either way.
That Indian corruption is acceptable. YOU MUST BE KIDDING.
I thought you were hinting to adopt to China stealing standards !! :madgrin:
There is no personal responsibility. MY POINT.
Just because you can blame it on someone else you have no obligation. LOL
You were trying to defend corruption at higher places. If those people themselves are corrupted who should the rest be afraid of?
As always you miss the point.

I consider manmohan singh as the most corrupt indian, because, he claims and projects himself as an honest leader, but allows all his ministers indulge in corruption of himalayan proportion, and worse still justifies the corruption. I will be happy if he is discredited. A tasildar is jailed for 10 years for accepting 5000 (there are even incidents of people taking 500 bribe landing in jail for ten years).

You were trying to defend corruption at higher places. If those people themselves are corrupted who should the rest be afraid of?

None

No problems with that either way.

I thought you were hinting to adopt to China stealing standards !! :madgrin:

IT is funny, you jump to conclusion of your own. I did not defend any one (high or low) for corruption. My point was that It is easy to blame PM for individual's failing. Just because you can not solve the national problem. it does npt give an individual to be corrupt.
I never said we should be happy with chinese level of corruption, but to be worse than chinese is bad. I hope you agree.
You jumped on Renekaji in another thread, is there something going on your personal life, that makes you so grouchy. Take a deep breadth and smell roses instead of Coovum river.

After Independence we started with, along with other promises like garibi hatao, etc, slum eradication which was replaced with "slum improvement" programmes and now it is you know what: "slum preservation" programme through elections and then servicing the election promises! This is the quality of the governments which succeeded one after another. Similarly corruption was a taboo in the beginning, but it is nurtured as a culture. Long before from now it is considered as our 5th Veda in the comity of politicians. It looks like it will be introduced in the university curriculum along with others course like, CA, MBA, etc. It may be acceptable to a group of people pretending to be pillars of democracy. For the millions otherwise, it is not practicable. Either we are heading for revolution or anarchy whichever is not far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back