• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The spirit of India, The Spirit Of Chennai:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

For a change here is a forwarded message received from a Retired Colonel of Indian Army, which is worth reading:

CIRCULATING OVER THE NET ---------------​
Message from Chennai:

The spirit of India, The Spirit Of Chennai. No shahrukh here , no Modi . How an average Indian thinks , that​'​s what matters.

==================
While the entire nation is debating on the "Non-
sense" called "Intolerance", there is humanity at its best in Chennai. I can tell this for sure because, I stay in Qatar and my family (wife and 2 kids aged 11 and 7) are in Chennai. With all the floods and problems, I am getting the message from them, "We are safe".

In the wake of calamity, Chennai is "One". It has only one religion, "Humanity"; It has only one enemy, "Water"; there is only one aim "Help". And they did it in style. When they were offering help, they didn't ask whether you are "Hindu" or a "Christian" Or a "Muslim". They didn't ask whether you are "Rich" or "Poor". They didn't ask whether you are a "Tam​i​lian", "Malayalee", "Telugu", "Kannadiga" or "North Indian". Only one question they asked; "Do you need any help?"

The rich people; my neighbors who never interacted with anybody in the neighborhood in last 4 years; opened the gates of their huge house. The man stood outside and welcomed people to his house. "We will eat whatever we have. We will share whatever we have. You can stay here until the water recedes"; that all he had said.. He accommodated around 35 people in his house. He is a Hindu Brahmin. He provided mat for the Muslims to do Namaz. He allowed Christians to pray in his Pooja room.

There were volunteers outside helping people to reach safe places. They used anything and everything as tool; until the army people reached. Once the experts came, they gave the leadership to the more experienced and helped them to help others. My wife told me that, there were group of people going through the streets with neck deep water and asking "Sir / Madam, do you need any help?" in front of every house. They provided whatever help they can and they distributed food and essentials. There were groups providing cellphone batteries for 5 minutes to anybody who want to talk.

I have seen people fight for food when there is a calamity. Even the most modern countries, when there is a calamity, people fight for food. They think only about themselves at that time. But, when the food was distributed in Chennai, it was calm. People stood in queues and they have given food for the people who are not able to stand in queues (elderly, mothers and kids). They brought boats. They made temporary rafts and just went on helping people.

On top of all these things, this is what my kids are seeing. This is what they are learning. How to help each other at the time of need. It goes straight into their brain. The images gets implanted there. And then, when there is another calamity, they know what to do.. How to survive.. How to get help and how to help others... This is what I want my kids to learn.. Humanity, without boundaries....

There is no wonder that, Chennai is one of the oldest cities in the world. It has survived everything thrown at it.. It will definitely remain so for ever. They are united. They can beat anything.. They can survive anything...

I am a proud Chennaite... I will never forget this in my life! A city which gave me and my family safety in the hour of need.. Thank you Chennai!.. Thank you Indian Army ! Thanks you India!!!

--
PS: If Forwarding, use BCC address.You can edit contents to delete all unwanted portions like Forward.Fwd,address, subject title and text.Do not help spammers by giving contact details of all addresses who have received and forwarded this mail.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

For a change here is a forwarded message received from a Retired Colonel of Indian Army, which is worth reading:

CIRCULATING OVER THE NET ---------------​
Message from Chennai:

The spirit of India, The Spirit Of Chennai. No shahrukh here , no Modi . How an average Indian thinks , that​'​s what matters.

==================
While the entire nation is debating on the "Non-
sense" called "Intolerance", there is humanity at its best in Chennai. I can tell this for sure because, I stay in Qatar and my family (wife and 2 kids aged 11 and 7) are in Chennai. With all the floods and problems, I am getting the message from them, "We are safe".

In the wake of calamity, Chennai is "One". It has only one religion, "Humanity"; It has only one enemy, "Water"; there is only one aim "Help". And they did it in style. When they were offering help, they didn't ask whether you are "Hindu" or a "Christian" Or a "Muslim". They didn't ask whether you are "Rich" or "Poor". They didn't ask whether you are a "Tam​i​lian", "Malayalee", "Telugu", "Kannadiga" or "North Indian". Only one question they asked; "Do you need any help?"

The rich people; my neighbors who never interacted with anybody in the neighborhood in last 4 years; opened the gates of their huge house. The man stood outside and welcomed people to his house. "We will eat whatever we have. We will share whatever we have. You can stay here until the water recedes"; that all he had said.. He accommodated around 35 people in his house. He is a Hindu Brahmin. He provided mat for the Muslims to do Namaz. He allowed Christians to pray in his Pooja room.

There were volunteers outside helping people to reach safe places. They used anything and everything as tool; until the army people reached. Once the experts came, they gave the leadership to the more experienced and helped them to help others. My wife told me that, there were group of people going through the streets with neck deep water and asking "Sir / Madam, do you need any help?" in front of every house. They provided whatever help they can and they distributed food and essentials. There were groups providing cellphone batteries for 5 minutes to anybody who want to talk.

I have seen people fight for food when there is a calamity. Even the most modern countries, when there is a calamity, people fight for food. They think only about themselves at that time. But, when the food was distributed in Chennai, it was calm. People stood in queues and they have given food for the people who are not able to stand in queues (elderly, mothers and kids). They brought boats. They made temporary rafts and just went on helping people.

On top of all these things, this is what my kids are seeing. This is what they are learning. How to help each other at the time of need. It goes straight into their brain. The images gets implanted there. And then, when there is another calamity, they know what to do.. How to survive.. How to get help and how to help others... This is what I want my kids to learn.. Humanity, without boundaries....

There is no wonder that, Chennai is one of the oldest cities in the world. It has survived everything thrown at it.. It will definitely remain so for ever. They are united. They can beat anything.. They can survive anything...

I am a proud Chennaite... I will never forget this in my life! A city which gave me and my family safety in the hour of need.. Thank you Chennai!.. Thank you Indian Army ! Thanks you India!!!

--
PS: If Forwarding, use BCC address.You can edit contents to delete all unwanted portions like Forward.Fwd,address, subject title and text.Do not help spammers by giving contact details of all addresses who have received and forwarded this mail.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

The observations of an honest individual portrayed in an excellent way with all the gratitude.

A wonderful account of the spirit of Chennai during this Crisis . Proud to be a Chennaite . It is true that some people exploited this Crisis by overcharging for milk , water , bread and transport but compared to the large amount of help rendered by thousands of people this group is a small one .

It is in times of calamity that one's true colors are known. Chennai has come out from this calamity with flying colors. It would be wonderful if people can practice this in a routine way.

Now the looming danger is the outbreak of diseases. Let us all pray that Chennai see through this also.

That e-mail forward looks bery great and highly complimentary to Brahmins. Hence, naturally, this forum is all agog with support for that e-mail message. I also will wholeheartedly compliment such show of humane attitudes.

But somehow, I get a lingering doubt that this message could be a fake and has been crafted very well in order to get wide circulation. I suggest therefore that Shri Brahmanyan shares the full particulars of the said forward with a software expert like Shri Ganesh who can then find out the genuineness of the message.

Sri Brahmanyan,

Thanks for sharing the post.

During times of calamities, human beings have risen up to reveal their caring sense for each other.
Such events force one to rise above pettiness of race, creed, caste, colour, national origin, gender, religion etc and view each other in simple human terms.

I heard stories of how people helped others, our own member Sri Balasubramani shared his experience of helping others which is admirable.

The email itself may be written for more viral propagation but the message does not require any further fact checks. It is an uplifting message.

It will be a perversion of mind to overlay caste identity on such a broadminded message.

I am sure there are people who took advantage of the situation during times of natural disaster. But by and large average persons seem to have risen above divisive thinking and helped each other.

I heard that Indian army did superb job as well.

I think Channi people, Indian Army and Indians in general behaved in a way that is exemplary.

Super Chennaiites! Proof of the Tamil cultural code :"Yadum oore, yavarum kellir"!

Inspirational-Quote-I2.jpg

I did some search on the authenticity of the initial post. Here is what I found - One can make his/her own
conclusions.

There is a twitter feed on spirit of chennai https://twitter.com/hashtag/SpiritofChennai?src=hash in which what people are doing is posted.

There is a magazine called Spirit of Chennai (where good articles show up) http://spiritofchennai.com/latest-chennai-news/
However there is no mention of the initial post

There is an article from the islamic society which quotes the initial post and also talks about the contribution of Muslims
http://twocircles.net/2015dec06/1449398126.html#.VmYvBtIrJdg

Kudos to all the efforts. We donated money to http://www.aidindia.in/programs/relief-work.php
(we are unable to help in person to flood relief activities in Chennai)

That e-mail forward looks bery great and highly complimentary to Brahmins. Hence, naturally, this forum is all agog with support for that e-mail message. I also will wholeheartedly compliment such show of humane attitudes.

But somehow, I get a lingering doubt that this message could be a fake and has been crafted very well in order to get wide circulation. I suggest therefore that Shri Brahmanyan shares the full particulars of the said forward with a software expert like Shri Ganesh who can then find out the genuineness of the message.

Look true Sangomji! I have seen the post in facebook page of Biju Vargheese titled "The spirit of Chennai"

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1172851019396554&id=100000150020054

hi

indian army is remembered ONLY IN CALAMITIES....otherwise no one cares....becoz i know....im from the same ex army...

The Spirit of India, The Spirit of Chennai.

Sri Brahmanyan,

Thanks for sharing the post.
During times of calamities, human beings have risen up to reveal their caring sense for each other.
Such events force one to rise above pettiness of race, creed, caste, colour, national origin, gender, religion etc and view each other in simple human terms.
I heard stories of how people helped others, our own member Sri Balasubramani shared his experience of helping others which is admirable.
The email itself may be written for more viral propagation but the message does not require any further fact checks. It is an uplifting message.
It will be a perversion of mind to overlay caste identity on such a broadminded message.
I am sure there are people who took advantage of the situation during times of natural disaster. But by and large average persons seem to have risen above divisive thinking and helped each other.
I heard that Indian army did superb job as well.
I think Channi people, Indian Army and Indians in general behaved in a way that is exemplary.

Dear Sri tks.,

I fully agree, let us not dissect and digress into frivolous discussions on a message surpassing mundane divisions.
It is heartening to see that aid is pouring in from all sides. Compassion and Love are greater than any religion. It was German Philosopher Arthur Schopenhaur who said that "a person of compassionate character sees himself as fundamentally a part of and involved with the suffering world".
We hope and pray that the forecast of NASA and BBC on the impending second spate of rains do not come true.
Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Shri Brahmanyan, The forwarded message on whatsapp is a complete hoax..Whoever started this needs to be identified & punished...It is creating chaos!

True and today I had a tough time convincing many of my relatives not to believe this hoax . Many have started to leave to Bangalore fearing this hoax .

I did some search on the authenticity of the initial post. Here is what I found - One can make his/her own
conclusions.

There is a twitter feed on spirit of chennai https://twitter.com/hashtag/SpiritofChennai?src=hash in which what people are doing is posted.

There is a magazine called Spirit of Chennai (where good articles show up) http://spiritofchennai.com/latest-chennai-news/
However there is no mention of the initial post

There is an article from the islamic society which quotes the initial post and also talks about the contribution of Muslims
http://twocircles.net/2015dec06/1449398126.html#.VmYvBtIrJdg

Kudos to all the efforts. We donated money to (we are unable to help in person to flood relief activities in Chennai)
When we water the plant, only a little part of the water poured in would be taken by the plant; rest by the soil and mud.
Of course plant would be saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back