• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The relation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear and Respected Members

“You do not really need someone to complete you….
You just need someone to accept you completely”

That is the beauty of the relation.:-}

a.v.v.v.rajagopal-coimbatore-tamilnadu

Greetings.

One really needs someone to complete the person. Well, not just some one, several someones in fact!

One needs someone to accept him/her as they are to be called as 'friend';
+ One needs someone to walk the 7 steps ( in moost religious practices) and to stay together in thich and thin to be called as husband/wife;
+ One needs someone or several someones to be loved and to love in return to called father/mother;
+ One needs lot more someones to share occassions and events to be part of a community.....
I could be wrong...... But, in my opinion, it takes several someones as shown above to complete a person.

Cheers!

Agreed sir..thats the ideal relationship but after a few years of life we would come to realize that self acceptance of the reality of any situation is what actually matters most cos no matter what.. there is bound to be differences in any relationship and most of the while its Tolerance/Forbearance/Forgiveness that helps us pull through our lives.

Sanskrit has one word to describe Tolerance/Forbearance/Forgiveness and thats Kshama (क्ष्मा)

Ever wondered why religion always emphasizes on Kshama more than anything else?

Last edited:

This is the kind of quote to expect from Westerners (especially Americans) brainwashed into a system in which every individual tends to be highly egotic and narcissistic.

Raghy has made some sensible observations. Even Europeans will agree with Raghy.

Yes, I agree with Raghy and Naina makes a valid point of how Westerners have become far too
self-centered and self-willed. Basic trust in people and a sort of mutual inter-dependence is lost.

It's always My life / My money / My career / My job / My mortgages / My loans / My EMIs.
My ex wives may lead to My ex job / My ex career / My ex loans / My ex mortgages / My ex EMIs,
but how about ex children / ex sisters / ex brothers / ex friends ?

Saha na vavathu / saha nou bhunakthu / Saha veeryam karavavahai/
tejasvi navadhitamastu ma vidvishvahai /

Om shanti, shanti shantihi'.

May the Eternal guard us both!
May the Eternal rule us both!
May we both make bold attempts!
May our studies become illuminative!
May no difference arise between us!

Peace, Peace Peace.

Was this meant for married couples or an equation between just about any two
individuals? [ I could have used the word 'relationship' instead of 'equation', but
that again is pregnant with meaning(s) ! ]

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

That's the wonderful message Shri. Rajagopal.

No one is 100 percent perfect and no one can be 100 per cent convincing to every other.

A girl - A boy, as true lovers
Husband-Wife
Parents-Children
Brothers-Sisters

In all the above relationships, where no one is 100 per cent perfect, the acceptance of each other for each other alone makes each one complete and worthy to be in relation.

This alone makes the true sense of a true relation, enabling every one to be complete and be in a beautiful relationships.

Once there exists acceptance between the two, each one become complete, having completely accepted each other, the way each other are.

That's how the relationships can survive.

Keep writing such great messages Shri.Rajagopal.

Yes, I agree with Raghy and Naina makes a valid point of how Westerners have become far too
self-centered and self-willed. Basic trust in people and a sort of mutual inter-dependence is lost.

It's always My life / My money / My career / My job / My mortgages / My loans / My EMIs.
My ex wives may lead to My ex job / My ex career / My ex loans / My ex mortgages / My ex EMIs,
but how about ex children / ex sisters / ex brothers / ex friends ?

Saha na vavathu / saha nou bhunakthu / Saha veeryam karavavahai/
tejasvi navadhitamastu ma vidvishvahai /

Om shanti, shanti shantihi'.

May the Eternal guard us both!
May the Eternal rule us both!
May we both make bold attempts!
May our studies become illuminative!
May no difference arise between us!

Peace, Peace Peace.

Was this meant for married couples or an equation between just about any two
individuals? [ I could have used the word 'relationship' instead of 'equation', but
that again is pregnant with meaning(s) ! ]

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

Dear sir,

I would find it hard to generalize that only the west is self centred.
I feel selfish and selfless people are everywhere in this world.
In this world actually if we dissect it further we would realize that each action is based on making our own self happy.
Even when we love someone without realizing it we are actually loving a person for the sake of the self which infact is no different from the Supreme Self.

Ravi..wait wait!!! before you react to this!!LOL I have backup evidence to this.
Sage Yajnavalkya said this to his wife Maitreyi:

Everything is the Self, O Maitreyi !

Yajnavalkya said:

"Verily, not for the sake of the husband, my dear, is the husband loved, but he is loved for the sake of the self which, in its true nature, is one with the Supreme Self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the wife, my dear, is the wife loved, but she is loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the sons, my dear, are the sons loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of wealth, my dear, is wealth loved, but it is loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the animals, my dear, are the animals loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the brahmin, my dear, is the brahmin loved, but he is loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the kshatriya, my dear, is the kshatriya loved, but he is loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the worlds, my dear, are the worlds loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the gods, my dear, are the gods loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the Vedas, my dear, are the Vedas loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the beings, my dear, are the beings loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the All, my dear, is the All loved, but it is loved for the sake of the self.

"Verily, my dear Maitreyi, it is the Self that should be realized—should be heard of, reflected on and meditated upon. By the realisation of the Self, my dear, through hearing, reflection and meditation, all this is known.

taken from:http://www.maharajnisargadatta.com/brihadaranyaka_yajnavalkya_maitreyi.php

Dear Manohar sir,we do have this prayer too..where its address purely for our own selves.
(Mama means Mine)

Tvameva Mata ca Pita Tvameva, Tvameva Bandhu ca Sakha Tvameva, Tvameva Vidya DravinamTvameva, Tvameva Sarvam
Mama
Deva Deva.

Last edited:
Doc

Sorry - Westerners being "too self-centered" doesn't quite mean that only the westerners are self-centered .

Further - " Tvameva Matha Cha .............. ", to me is more of a 'surrender' than a 'prayer' wherein the Almighty
is personified and perceived as Mother, Father, Freind ........ etc etc.

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

Doc

Sorry - Westerners being "too self-centered" doesn't quite mean that only the westerners are self-centered .

Further - " Tvameva Matha Cha .............. ", to me is more of a 'surrender' than a 'prayer' wherein the Almighty

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

Fair enough sir.Perfect explanation.

Doc

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

Actually you are 100% right cos that shloka was coined by Arjuna for Lord Krishna when Arjuna totally surrendered to Him.(I read that somewhere long back)

Last edited:
In this world actually if we dissect it further we would realize that each action is based on making our own self happy.
Even when we love someone without realizing it we are actually loving a person for the sake of the self which infact is no different from the Supreme Self.

Ravi..wait wait!!! before you react to this!!LOL I have backup evidence to this.
Sage Yajnavalkya said this to his wife Maitreyi:

Everything is the Self, O Maitreyi !

Yajnavalkya said:

"Verily, not for the sake of the husband, my dear, is the husband loved, but he is loved for the sake of the self which, in its true nature, is one with the Supreme Self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the wife, my dear, is the wife loved, but she is loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the sons, my dear, are the sons loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of wealth, my dear, is wealth loved, but it is loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the animals, my dear, are the animals loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the brahmin, my dear, is the brahmin loved, but he is loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the kshatriya, my dear, is the kshatriya loved, but he is loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the worlds, my dear, are the worlds loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the gods, my dear, are the gods loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the Vedas, my dear, are the Vedas loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the beings, my dear, are the beings loved, but they are loved for the sake of the self.
"Verily, not for the sake of the All, my dear, is the All loved, but it is loved for the sake of the self.

"Verily, my dear Maitreyi, it is the Self that should be realized—should be heard of, reflected on and meditated upon. By the realisation of the Self, my dear, through hearing, reflection and meditation, all this is known.

taken from:A Dialog between Maitreyi and Yajnavalkya from Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Dear Manohar sir,we do have this prayer too..where its address purely for our own selves.
(Mama means Mine)

Tvameva Mata ca Pita Tvameva, Tvameva Bandhu ca Sakha Tvameva, Tvameva Vidya DravinamTvameva, Tvameva Sarvam
Mama
Deva Deva.

Dear Renuka,

I couldn't understand why you have to request me to wait, before justifying your statement that - "Love for the other is for the sake of self, which in fact is not different from the Supreme Self". LOL!!!!

Your high sounding philosophical quotes are great with out a doubt.

Sometimes too much of awareness of philosophical quotes does not help us to shape our self and see through the realities.

Not a single individual is 100 percent perfect, does not matter what is his/her role in a human relationship and how old or young a person is.

1) A Guy/A Girl as true lovers see that the other is happy, having true love, compassion, trust & respect towards each other - This is what is the acceptance, no matter what are the flaws of the other.

2) A mother/father love's her/his children more than her/his needs - This is what is the acceptance, no matter what are the flaws of her/his children.

3) A son/daughter many a times has to heed to the preferences/selections/offering of his/her mother/father and reject one's own choices. - This is what is the acceptance with trust on parents that they wish only good for us and to not to make them upset. No matter parent's too have their own flaws, in some or other ways.

4) A truly loving Husband/Wife, makes sure that the other is happy for which one has to forgo something - This is what is the acceptance, no matter what are the flaws of the other.

5) A Brother or a Sister, sees that the other sibling also could have his/her share. Also extends a heart felt support at the need of the time, though the problem of the sibling was due to her/his own blunders. - This is what is the acceptance, no matter what are the flaws of the other.

In all the above relationships and circumstances, you love the other for the self and that is nothing but a Supreme Love that makes you feel the highest pleasure by losing something or other, by some way or other, from your Supreme Self.

That's what is the beauty of acceptance of the other the way they are, in a relationship. It makes each and every one complete, personally and collectively. Mutual exchange of acceptance and the joy of having lost something personally for the sake of other is what all about beautiful relationship.

Let us not lose the charm of this beautiful and meaningful relationship with our heartfelt acceptance, fooling our self with a wrong notion that - Humans are completely influenced only by their own Supreme Self, so leave everyone and ONLY be dedicated to GOD, in all the Bhakthi and Glory of the God, such that The Supreme Self will not be flawed.

Let us not confuse with the Spiritual Philosophy of realizing the absolute self to get dissolved with the supreme being WITH that of our role, in our life, in our relationships, in which, we as Humans are challenged to achieve the SELF and subsequently the Supreme Self.

Human life has its own charm along with fellow humans, where the Supreme Self 'LOSES" something "only to retain" the "PUREST SUPREME SELF"

Dear Renuka,

I don't believe in back up evidences supported by scriptures in my attempt to live my human life, along with fellow humans, in relationships to the fullest, with my best possible right sense, understanding and acceptance - to achieve to satisfy the self and also to lose to achieve my purest supreme self.

Every one have their way of living. Either by realizations about the life and human relationships on one's own OR by only following and adhering to scriptured quotes (that may be with complete understanding or half backed understanding of in which context and for what purpose such things were quoted)

I share here only my views. Neither to impose on others nor to claim that my views are perfect. And this would continue as long as I feel like posting my views in this Forum.

So, you need not to strain yourself to alarm me to wait... :)

Even Europeans will agree with Raghy.
I had a giggle reading this :)
What does this mean? I could come up with a couple of explanations
o Europeans are hard at agreeing with others?
o If Europeans agree on something, then the rest of us should without a fuss?
o Its so obvious?

I don't believe in back up evidences supported by scriptures in my attempt to live my human life, along with fellow humans, in relationships to the fullest, with my best possible right sense, understanding and acceptance - to achieve to satisfy the self and also to lose to achieve my purest supreme self.

Every one have their way of living. Either by realizations about the life and human relationships on one's own OR by only following and adhering to scriptured quotes (that may be with complete understanding or half backed understanding of in which context and for what purpose such things were quoted)

I share here only my views. Neither to impose on others nor to claim that my views are perfect. And this would continue as long as I feel like posting my views in this Forum.

Dear Ravi,

Don't take it wrongly...I know you like all relationship based threads and from what I know from your post in Forum you seem to be a very loving person who has his own perception about love and human relationships and rather live in this world by sharing this love with everyone known to you.

So I was not alarming you to wait dear...how can I make anything wait?
I am not Kala or even Kalaatheeta.
I am just plain Renuka who wont impose anything even on myself.
Would I want to impose anything on you?

The word "wait wait" is a style of writing commonly used these days and also in yesteryears.

For example : There is a saying of yesteryear which goes that Goddess Parvati does not see Lord Shiva's face once a year.
Then the author explains later..not to get alarmed cos he follows up with an explanation that there is a believe that if anyone sees the moon on the Chaturthi Bhadrapada Shukla Paksa he/she would be accused of stealing.
So thats why Parvati does not see the face of Shiva on that day cos He bears the moon on His head.

So my dear that was just a writing style..not meant to hit you left,right,centre or anyway else!!LOL
I wont want to hurt you in anyway.

Last edited:

Shri Rajagopal,

I personally have the pleasure to accept you completely here, in this forum, in this thread. For me, your going silent after your such philosophical OP is complete and your participation turns out to be complete for me... :)

Though I am losing my pleasure here without your further contribution in this thread about the beauty of relation, I am still satisfied and happy that you would at least continue to make one OP, sharing great thoughts with all of us here.

:)

You could reword it as Westerners being "only too self-centered" to get the intended meaning.

Not all dear ozone,

I used to have a western patient here who used to drop by on and off even when he was not sick just to share with me medical related articles he brings from home(he is not a doctor)
Cos his partner suffers from a rare disease which took many years to diagnose back home where he was from ..so he feels by sharing about this disease with all doctor no other patient will have a delay in diagnosis.

A nice kind person.

Shri Rajagopal,

I personally have the pleasure to accept you completely here, in this forum, in this thread. For me, your going silent after your such philosophical OP is complete and your participation turns out to be complete for me... :)

Though I am losing my pleasure here without your further contribution in this thread about the beauty of relation, I am still satisfied and happy that you would at least continue to make one OP, sharing great thoughts with all of us here.

:)
So, you have decided to accept the quote completely

This is the kind of quote to expect from Westerners (especially Americans) brainwashed into a system in which every individual tends to be highly egotic and narcissistic.

Raghy has made some sensible observations. Even Europeans will agree with Raghy.

Shri Naina_Marbus,

I don't think the quote in the OP can be related to shaping one's complete personality, by all sorts of interactions, involvements and influences, living in a Human society, and grow as a matured adult.

The quote is to be related to human relations, with each others acceptance, to be in a relationship..

For example (other than family relationships. I have hinted the relevance of the OP with family relationships in two of my previous posts) -

1) You don't have the habit of smoking and drinking. But you may still like one such guy with all his personal indulgence as one of your closest friends. Both of you may accept each other, with each others different habits/practices and continue to retain good friendship for years together. Because you both could accept and value each other.

2) You don't believe in God/Spirituality and you have utter contempt towards that. But still you may like a theist and continue to retain your good friendship with him.

3) You don't indulge in and have utter contempt to extra marital affairs. But, you may like a person and be in a very good friendly relationship with him, despite his extra marital affairs with his own personal reasons.

4) You hate folks of other faith. But, you may have a very close friendship with such a person, valuing him and his friendship.

etc..etc..etc...

In all the above examples, both your self and the other guy are complete with the sense of love and respect towards each others friendship and continue to value the relationship. This can happen only because, both of you have heartily accepted each other completely and could make each other complete, with the true sense of friendship.

So, IMO, this quote is applicable to all Humans on this Earth, irrespective of their dwelling zones (East or West)

This post of mine is not to refute your POV. BUT, just an attempt to share my different view with you.

That's the wonderful message Shri. Rajagopal.

No one is 100 percent perfect and no one can be 100 per cent convincing to every other.

A girl - A boy, as true lovers
Husband-Wife
Parents-Children
Brothers-Sisters

In all the above relationships, where no one is 100 per cent perfect, the acceptance of each other for each other alone makes each one complete and worthy to be in relation.

This alone makes the true sense of a true relation, enabling every one to be complete and be in a beautiful relationships.

Once there exists acceptance between the two, each one become complete, having completely accepted each other, the way each other are.

That's how the relationships can survive.

Keep writing such great messages Shri.Rajagopal.

I recollect an old saying:

No one is wholly good,
No one is wholly bad;
Each one could make us glad
If we but understand.

Dear Renuka,

Dear Ravi,

So in that case why should we lament if culture is not maintained abroad or anywhere in this world if scriptures need not be our back up in life and each is free to live the way they want.

So that means Paal and Phalum is more important than scriptures!!LOL
Am I right??

Last edited:
Dear Sri Ravi,
Your Post #18.
I would like you to first define the term 'friends'. As you might agree, there are different levels of friendship and much of
what you describe in the post can be with your friends, however you might perhaps limit their involvement into your personal life.
For e.g., if you are a non smoker by choice and your 'friend' smokes, would you allow him to be with you when you are performing say a Pooja or a homam?

Dear Renuka,

Dear Ravi,

So in that case why should we lament if culture is not maintained abroad or anywhere in this world if scriptures need not be our back up in life and each is free to live the way they want.

So that means Paal and Phalum is more important than scriptures!!LOL
Am I right??

Dear Renuka,

NO!!!! You are not right..

Go through the same highlighted lines in my post above, that you have highlighted, to see what I am conveying..Give stress to the underlined part of it.

My observations are pertaining to human relationship in human life across the Globe. Not restricted to any specific culture. You can find this same line in my previous post, addressed to Shri Naina_Marbus.

I said, to understand human psychology, value of relationships, and differences of personality, I don't relay on scriptured quotes and say that, we humans are not great in our love too, coz that only amounts to the satisfaction of the Self and all that involved in it only amounts to satisfying Supreme Self.

I, then, elaborated as on what grounds our honest love and care contradicts the "need of the self", in 4 different relationships and circumstances, having accepted the other completely. And how collectively people in relationship achieve completeness of self composition, out of love, gratitude and respect, having completely accepted each other.

That is, a true acceptance with true love makes you lose some thing or other BUT without any regrets and enables you to sustain and cherish the relationship. That is the beauty of human relationship where no humans are 100 percent perfect and 100 percent complete/composed/skilled/matured.

If human relationships (A Guy - A girl as true loves, husband-wife; parents-children etc.etc.) revolves around "Only the self to be satisfied", I bet, no one can ever have the possibilities and the desire to have relationships.

That's the reality of good human relationships, that forms, grows and sustains.

I believe, many of us tend to relate these most valuable scriptural quests irrelevantly with our basic human life and relationships. May be due to self assertion to find it relevant having self realized correct understanding OR due to half baked understanding.

We should not mix the spiritual philosophies for soul's elevation with that of human philosophies and psychologies that enables living a good human life of relationships.

It go nothing to contradict with any culture.

1) Our culture does not prohibit us from having friendship with any humans on this Earth, belonging to other faith and culture.

2) Our culture does not profess to reject individuals who are not 100 per cent perfect. No culture has this system, for the fact that, no one is 100 per cent perfect.

3) Our culture/customs/traditions makes our relationship meaningful, enjoyable and valuable and makes us to realize that - Humans are not perfect, people differ, acceptance and commitments are the essence of relationship, adjustments/compromises/sacrifices and bondage helps each other to be complete, having completely accepted each other with each others incompleteness. They drive us towards living a committed life, accepting the differences.

So, there is nothing in my statement that indicates rejection of our most valuable and cherish able culture and tradition.

Referring to certain Spiritual philosophies/concepts that are meant for liberation of the souls should be restricted only to the same purpose and not to understand how a valuable and meaningful Human Relationship can be established with love and respect to each differing individual.

We still lament if culture is not maintained abroad or even in home land BECAUSE we want these cultures/traditions/customs of our own styles to continue to exists so that the folks of our community continue to share the essence of these among themselves with sense of love and respect to our culture, fellow humans and human relationships.

Paalum Pazhamum is more important than scriptures??? LOL!!! What a irrelevant cross questioning dear Renuka!!!

Paalum Pazhamum is a cultural/traditional practice that got its own meaning and significance. I don't know if this custom has its reference in Vedic scriptures or not.

Whether cultural/traditional practices have scriptural references or not, this customs/traditions and scriptures does not makes any of them Superior or Inferior to each other.

Dear Sri Ravi,
Your Post #18.
I would like you to first define the term 'friends'. As you might agree, there are different levels of friendship and much of
what you describe in the post can be with your friends, however you might perhaps limit their involvement into your personal life.
For e.g., if you are a non smoker by choice and your 'friend' smokes, would you allow him to be with you when you are performing say a Pooja or a homam?

Shri ozone,

I could not understand as why I could not quote your post alone. Thus have pasted the contents of your post #22, here.

Shri ozone,

Each individual have his / her own criteria to accept one's friendship, as per ones personal choice and preferences, as per one's own practices, tolerance etc..etc..

Like a non smoker may accept a smoker to be his good friend. He may even allow him to smoke sitting besides him or may not. But, true friendship remains mutual and both a non smoker and smoker respect each others belief, choices and preferences and act accordingly.

What I meant about such a friendship is, they continue to be good friends, loving, supporting, guiding each other etc, while respecting each others choices, belief and comfort and act accordingly.

For a more clear example, if you remember our dear member Renuka said that she have one or two male friends who do involve in extra marital affairs due their own reasons. But she still honor them and be their friends for their many more good values and friendship. Moreover would not even find sensible/good to disclose their affairs to their respective wives. So, Renuka is of that personality and many of us may be the same or varying a bit.

Whatever may be the case, once accepted some one fully with mutual respect towards each other, we tend to keep our friendship. No matter what is our personality and what is the personality of our friend.

There are many many many ....so many probabilities and differentiations that can be listed out.

To express my view in a more clear and simple form, based on OP is -

If you completely agree to marry a blind girl out of your love and respect towards her, it means, she is been completely accepted in true spirit and she is a complete women without any lapses, who would live a wholesome contented life with all your continued love, support, care and respect.

Paalum Pazhamum is more important than scriptures??? LOL!!! What a irrelevant cross questioning dear Renuka!!!

Come to think of it Ravi you are right!! We both have been debating this Paal Phalum on and on like the famous Goundamani Senthil Banana joke.
We seem to view things differently.
I have a feeling we are not talking on the same lines just like the joke below!!LOL

[video=youtube_share;hkkmKk9LcQk]http://youtu.be/hkkmKk9LcQk[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back