• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The most famous verse of Jayadeva Swami's Gita-Govindam

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very interesting and informative thread though I am sure that was not intended to be that way by Mrs JR Madam when she opened the thread.

Let me share my take on this so far.

Mrs JR, wanted to share her devotional feelings with fellow devotees of Radha Krishna using verses of a poet. That is all she wanted and but that did not happen fully because true devotees are rarely posting here. Those offering support are here just to enjoy a street fight or for other selfish reasons!

I do not think Mr Sangom came here to hurt anyone except present his analysis and understanding on the said poet. I did not see anyone refute his statements except a few that offered direct or indirect support. His statements continue to stand uncorrected. I think there is no reason to question Mr Sangom's motivation or attack especially when the substance of his statements remain true and unchallenged with facts by anyone.

Mr Vaagmi characteristic to his debating approach thought some arrows are being thrown in some thread, entered the thread and felt they are directed towards him. He is a arrow seeker in threads even when there are no arrows. He then presented a rebuttal by saying there are nut-jobs in some other traditions also! I don't get it!!

If Mr Vaagmi had described the philosophical teaching he had gained from the verses similar to one in this thread, that would have been beneficial to all readers. He did not want to say anything substantive because according to him the philosophy cannot be share in a mixed crowd of males and females! I am not sure why the philosophy is meant only for males.

I think Mrs JR and other true devotees need not pay attention to past history described in this thread and continue to be firm in their own beliefs.

This is not an arrow!

Last edited:
"Sidhdar worship" — a) form of worship followed by the Siddhars, or, b) worship of the Sidhdars themselves as deities or gods/godheads.

I don't think I have even referred to a) above. Nor have I endorsed or recommended b). The only thing I have done is to appreciate Sivavakkiyar's words against idolatry. That is because I have also learnt from my life's experiences that idolatry is a wrong path to seek the ultimate truth.

Are Siddhar or Sivavakkiyar worships being carried out daily, as in the case of Krishna and, of course, Radha, especially by Bhagavathas (Smarthas P. Ltd)? The number of Bhagavatha group is on the increase day by day and there is also inter group rivalry, it seems.

Bhagavathas Jai Ho!

This is a very interesting and informative thread though I am sure that was not intended to be that way by Mrs JR Madam when she opened the thread.

Mrs JR, wanted to share her devotional feelings with fellow devotees of Radha Krishna using verses of a poet. That is all she wanted and but that did not happen fully because true devotees are rarely posting here. Those offering support are here just to enjoy a street fight or for other selfish reasons! Km

I do not think Mr Sangom came here to hurt anyone except present his analysis and understanding on the said poet. I did not see anyone refute his statements except a few that offered direct or indirect support. His statements continue to stand uncorrected. I think there is no reason to question Mr Sangom's motivation or attack especially when the substance of his statements remain true and unchallenged with facts by anyone.

Mr Vaagmi characteristic to his debating approach thought some arrows are being thrown in some thread, entered the thread and felt they are directed towards him. He is a arrow seeker in threads even when there are no arrows. He then presented a rebuttal by saying there are nut-jobs in some other traditions also! I don't get it!!

If Mr Vaagmi had described the philosophical teaching he had gained from the verses similar to one in this thread, that would have been beneficial to all readers. He did not want to say anything substantive because according to him the philosophy cannot be share in a mixed crowd of males and females! I am not sure why the philosophy is meant only for males.

I think Mrs JR and other true devotees need not pay attention to past history described in this thread and continue to be firm in their own beliefs.

This is not an arrow!
I understand where you are stuck. The hold of the umbilical chord is tenacious indeed. I wish it snaps and wisdom dawns. LOL.
And, mutual back slapping can be intoxicating. LOL

Sangomjis statements being applauded and certificate being issued regarding truth and facts[?] there in.lol

The height was claiming that Vaishnavites of south are different breed and should not enjoy jayadevas verses like their counterparts in orissa and elsewhere.

It shows a mindset of fanatic followers of a sect.

Vaagmiji has humorously put it -It is the tenacious hold of umbilical chord..

I do not know if JR requires sanction of some to enjoy the verses of jayadeva,This is arrogating to oneself special powers regarding what others should listen to and

enjoy

kinship of a particular kind based on a particular brahmin caste can be obnoxious to others

DasavathAram - M S S

This song rendered by Smt. M S S is the invocation song of Jayadeva's Geeta Govindam describing the dasAvathArs of Sri Krishna and

not one of the Ashtapadis, which have 8 stanzas. Since Krishna is taking these avtArs, we find Balarama, Buddha and Kalki after Rama.

Our bhajan master Sri. Srinivasa Rao has composed the music for this song.

Here is the one more version in traditional bhajan style, by Udayalur Sri. Kalyanaraman.

Dasavatharam - Bhajan

Meera's songs are in the category of bhajans. :)

Smt Raji Ram - I have a Raga related question. Thanks for sharing the link to rendering Dasavatharam by MSS

I know some usual discussions are in progress. My question is about correctly identifying the various Raga in that piece.

Here is my understanding, kindly correct me. I have provided both the possible Hindustani name and carnatic names.

MSS' Gita Govinda song: Dasavataram
First line of stanza Vishnu's Avataram Raga(Hindustani) - Ragam (Carnatic)

1.Pralaya payodhi Matsya - Fish Bhairavi - Sindhubhairavi
2.Kshitir iha Kurma - Tortoise Bhupali - Mohanam
3.Vasati Dasana Varaha(Sukara- pig) Jaijaivanti - Dwijavanti
4.Tavakara kamala Narasimha -Narahari Malkauns - Hindolam
5.Chalayasi vikramane Vaamana Kedar
6.Kshatriya rudira Parasurama(Brihupati)Patdeep
7.Vitarasi dikshu Rama Behag - Behag
8.Vasati Vapusi Balarama - Haladara Durga – Suddha Saveri (Devakriya)
9.Nindasi yagna Buddha Puriya Dhanasree
10.Mlecha nivaha Kalki Brindavani Sarang - Brindavana Saranga
11.Sri Jayadeva Bhairavi - Sindhubhairavi

Interestingly Krishna Avataram, considered Purna Avataram is not mentioned but seemingly implied

Thank you!

You posted two links - the first by MSS is simply one of the best I have heard while growing up. The second version is how my mother taught us to sing this piece - so it brought back memories of childhood

Sangomjis statements being applauded and certificate being issued regarding truth and facts[?] there in.lol

The height was claiming that Vaishnavites of south are different breed and should not enjoy jayadevas verses like their counterparts in orissa and elsewhere.

It shows a mindset of fanatic followers of a sect.

Vaagmiji has humorously put it -It is the tenacious hold of umbilical chord..

I do not know if JR requires sanction of some to enjoy the verses of jayadeva,This is arrogating to oneself special powers regarding what others should listen to and

enjoy

kinship of a particular kind based on a particular brahmin caste can be obnoxious to others

One has to think before posting anything.
I only said Mr Sangom's specific and detailed statements are not refuted with facts. Did some people have a senior moment in understanding this.

I did not say anything about what my views are. I dont understand the issues and do not have much interest either.

I support people to speak their mind (Mr Sangom) and one to hold onto one's beliefs in matters of devotion (Mrs JR).

Mrs JR does not need my endorsement and also does not need support from opportunists looking to reshape one's image after a painful exit and hiatus.

I understand where you are stuck. The hold of the umbilical chord is tenacious indeed. I wish it snaps and wisdom dawns. LOL.
And, mutual back slapping can be intoxicating. LOL

Mr LOL Vaagmi:
In mixed company I will not mention where your head is stuck where no chord can reach. I will give you three guesses to figure out where LoL LoL

Why not contribute to the subject if you have expertise? You claim to have understood the philosophy of such poets. Please share it.

Why stonewall like the topic of surrender in another thread? Why throw barbs at others instead of just participating and making your brand look better in the eyes of all the members?

There are no arrows, no one is persecuting you!

Mr LOL Vaagmi:
In mixed company I will not mention where your head is stuck where no chord can reach. I will give you three guesses to figure out where LoL LoL

Why not contribute to the subject if you have expertise? You claim to have understood the philosophy of such poets. Please share it.

Why stonewall like the topic of surrender in another thread? Why throw barbs at others instead of just participating and making your brand look better in the eyes of all the members?

There are no arrows, no one is persecuting you!

It appears the chord is not only strong, it is pulling you down more and more. At this rate the wisdom will never come to you even after another millennium. LOL.

No stonewalling. It is just like not talking about logic gate level technology to a butcher in the street corner. You won't understand even if I talk for hours about Surrender. I am in conversation about such topics with those who understand it.

It is good that you admit "I don't understand the issues and do not have much interest either".

So you are yourself stuck at the unmentionable place and do not understand what you are speaking. One moment you say you do not understand anything and another moment ask others to contribute to the subject of the thread without ever understanding that already the contribution is done and a conversation is going on between learned people here.

LOL. How pathetic.

Dear TKS Sir,

Giving Raga and Ragam in bold blue.

Smt Raji Ram - I have a Raga related question. .........

1.Pralaya payodhi Matsya - Fish - Bhairav - MAyAmALavagowLam.

2.Kshitir iha Kurma - Tortoise - BhupAli - MOhanam

3.Vasati Dasana Varaha(Sukara- pig) - JujAvanti - DwijAvanti

4.Tavakara kamala Narasimha -Narahari - MAlkauns - HindOLam

5.Chalayasi vikramane Vaamana - KEdAr

6.Kshatriya rudira Parasurama(Brihupati) - Patdeep

8.Vasati Vapusi Balarama - Haladara - Durga – Suddha SAvEri

9.Nindasi yagna Buddha - Puriya DhanAsree - similar to KAmavardhani

10.Mlecha nivaha Kalki - Brindavani - Brindavani ('Kaliyuga varadhan' is set to this rAgam)

( Kaliyuga varadhan by Smt. Jayashree )

11.Sri Jayadeva - Bhairavi - Sindhubhairavi

Dear TKS Sir,

Giving Raga and Ragam in bold blue.

1.Pralaya payodhi Matsya - Fish - Bhairav - MAyAmALavagowLam.

2.Kshitir iha Kurma - Tortoise - BhupAli - MOhanam

3.Vasati Dasana Varaha(Sukara- pig) - JujAvanti - DwijAvanti

4.Tavakara kamala Narasimha -Narahari - MAlkauns - HindOLam

5.Chalayasi vikramane Vaamana - KEdAr

6.Kshatriya rudira Parasurama(Brihupati) - Patdeep

8.Vasati Vapusi Balarama - Haladara - Durga – Suddha SAvEri

9.Nindasi yagna Buddha - Puriya DhanAsree - similar to KAmavardhani

10.Mlecha nivaha Kalki - Brindavani - Brindavani ('Kaliyuga varadhan' is set to this rAgam)

( Kaliyuga varadhan by Smt. Jayashree )

11.Sri Jayadeva - Bhairavi - Sindhubhairavi

Dear Smt Raji - Thank you so much!

It appears the chord is not only strong, it is pulling you down more and more. At this rate the wisdom will never come to you even after another millennium. LOL.

No stonewalling. It is just like not talking about logic gate level technology to a butcher in the street corner. You won't understand even if I talk for hours about Surrender. I am in conversation about such topics with those who understand it.

It is good that you admit "I don't understand the issues and do not have much interest either".

So you are yourself stuck at the unmentionable place and do not understand what you are speaking. One moment you say you do not understand anything and another moment ask others to contribute to the subject of the thread without ever understanding that already the contribution is done and a conversation is going on between learned people here.

LOL. How pathetic.

Dear LOL Mr Vaagmi:

I suggest you do the following. Go through your posts over last few months. Or ask a friend to do so. You will find that your posts are mainly about shooting insults on others and rarely about engagement with others on the substance of a topic. What is really bothering you??

I admit that I do not know about the various cults referenced by Mr Sangom or about this poet.

A butcher will understand about whatever technology if presented well. Often mastery of subject is determined by how well one is able to connect with a laymen while explaining a topic.

When Hawking writes a book or delivers a lecture with the help of aids, he connects because of his mastery. He does not call people pathetic.

I thought you may be more than an empty suit. I thought behind all this combative exterior you may have some knowledge.

But all I have seen is that you run away from intense discussions and challenges by resorting to personal attacks, or act paranoid about arrows being shot at you.

You claim you talk to people who understand your world only. That is what cult members do. Here we are in an open forum. If you have any substance then share it, or st*u.

Do you worry that the scholars in this forum will take your ideas apart if you focus on the substance of a discussion? Dont you have clarity of the ideas you claim to represent.

You say you are here to defend your practices. The best way to do this is by being an example. If you come across as a school yard bully to people, is that the best way to show how the religion you practice has transformed you??

Like you ask others, perceive this feedback please.

Due to respect to the topic area and to Mrs JR I will not continue this discussion here. Let us see if a transformed Mr Vaagmi becomes a reality in future discussions.

Mrs JR, wanted to share her devotional feelings with fellow devotees of Radha Krishna using verses of a poet. That is all she wanted and but that did not happen fully because true devotees are rarely posting here. Those offering support are here just to enjoy a street fight or for other selfish reasons!

This is not an arrow!

Dear LOL Mr Vaagmi:

I suggest you do the following. Go through your posts over last few months. Or ask a friend to do so. You will find that your posts are mainly about shooting insults on others and rarely about engagement with others on the substance of a topic. What is really bothering you??

I admit that I do not know about the various cults referenced by Mr Sangom or about this poet.

A butcher will understand about whatever technology if presented well. Often mastery of subject is determined by how well one is able to connect with a laymen while explaining a topic.

When Hawking writes a book or delivers a lecture with the help of aids, he connects because of his mastery. He does not call people pathetic.

I thought you may be more than an empty suit. I thought behind all this combative exterior you may have some knowledge.

But all I have seen is that you run away from intense discussions and challenges by resorting to personal attacks, or act paranoid about arrows being shot at you.

You claim you talk to people who understand your world only. That is what cult members do. Here we are in an open forum. If you have any substance then share it, or st*u.

Do you worry that the scholars in this forum will take your ideas apart if you focus on the substance of a discussion? Dont you have clarity of the ideas you claim to represent.

You say you are here to defend your practices. The best way to do this is by being an example. If you come across as a school yard bully to people, is that the best way to show how the religion you practice has transformed you??

Like you ask others, perceive this feedback please.

Due to respect to the topic area and to Mrs JR I will not continue this discussion here. Let us see if a transformed Mr Vaagmi becomes a reality in future discussions.
As usual a big lecture on how bad I am. And why don't you understand that I don't care a damn about what you think
There are other much more valued opinions here. And I prefer to deal with them. Stop offering unsolicited advice and opinions. I am frank and straight. You have no qualification to judge me. LOL.

LOL!

The 'fight' is still going on?

Well..what can I say...even up in the heavens Devas and Asuras fight..so what we do expect here on earth?

So who wants to be Deva and who wants to be Asura?

I like Asuras better!LOL

LOL!

The 'fight' is still going on?

Well..what can I say...even up in the heavens Devas and Asuras fight..so what we do expect here on earth?

So who wants to be Deva and who wants to be Asura?

I like Asuras better!LOL

Is Kandarpa an asura or a deva?

I suggest warring members to post verses of gita govindam instead of engaging each other

Poor JR she just wanted to enjoy the works of jayadeva and ended up with muck here.lol

Is Kandarpa an asura or a deva?
Kandarpa who shoots flower arrows is a Deva.

Picture from Google images:

Kama_Shiva.jpg

But, I have :noidea: about the one who shoots different arrows!! :D

There is an option available for the OP of any thread to request for :lock1: when not happy about the developments in it!

1. Why should anyone do that?

2. Their needs should get met.

3. Jr wanted only to enjoy verses of a poet jayadeva.
1. Need not do that; it is OP's choice!

2. Can't expect only J***RAA members here! :nono:

3. Anyone can enjoy the verses of Jayadeva. Hence I am posting the full verse with meaning in my next post. :)

Last edited:
Here is the first part of the astapadi with meaning:

"vadasi yadi kimcit api dantarucikaumudI harati daratimiram atighoram
sphuradadharas'Idhave tava vadanacandramA rocayatu locanacakoram

"When you speak, the flash of your teeth drives away the darkness of fear;
May your moon-face gladden the chakora-eyes that long for the nectar
of your lips!

"priye cArus'Ile priye cArus'Ile mumcamayi mAnamanidAnaM
sapadi madanAnalo dahati mama mAnasaM dehi mukhakamalamadhupAnam

"My dear beautiful love, forsake your silly anger towards me;
My heart is consumed by the fire of Madana, quench it with the honey from
your lotus face.

"satyam eva asi yadi sudati mayi kopinI dehi kharanakharas'araghAtaM
ghaTaya bhujabandhanaM janaya radakhanDanaM yena vA bhavati sukhajAtam

"My darling, if you are really cross with me, scratch me with your sharp
arrow-like nails;

Else, hold me tightly with your arms or even bite me; do whatever
that makes you happy.

"tvam asi mama jIvanaM tvam asi mama bhUSaNaM tvam asi mama bhavajaladhiratnam
bhavatu bhavtI iha mayi satatam anurodhinI tatra mama hRdayam atiyatnam

"You are my life, you are my jewel, you are the gem in the ocean of my life;
Forever be with me and my heart will try its best to attain this goal.

"nIlanalina abham api tanvi tava locanaM dArayati kokanadarUpam
kusumas'arabANabhAvena yadi ranjayasi kRSNaM idaM etat anurUpam

"Your eyes that resemble black lilies, appear now as if they are red lilies;
They have become the arrows of Eros and even make me, Krishna, crimson.

Source: Krishna's Love (I) - Jayadeva

Part II:

"sphuratu kucakumbhayor upari maNimanjarI ranjayatu tava hRdayades'aM
rasatu ras'anApi tava jaghanamaNDale ghoSayatu manmathanidesam

"May the gem-laden necklaces over your round breasts glow on your chest;
May the belt around your waist jingle; may the message of Manmatha echo!

"sthalakamalaganjanaM mama hRdayaranjanaM janitaratirangaparabhAgaM
bhaNa masRNavaaNi karavANi caraNadvayaM sarasa lasat alaktaka rAgam

"Resembling the red lotus, pleasing to my heart, matchless during love-play,
Your two feet, I will adorn them myself with red lac; pray, speak to me
in your gentle voice.

"smaragaralakhanDanaM mama s'irasi maNDanaM dehi padapallavam udAraM
jvalati mayi dAruNo madanakadana analo haratu tat upAhita vikAram

"Tonic to the poison of Kama, may your soft handsome feet be an ornament to
my head;
May the intense heat of love-fire that is burning me be extinguished by them.

"iti caTula cATu paTu cAru muravairiNo rAdhikAm adhi vacanajAtaM
jayati jayadevakavi bhArateebhUSitaM maaninIjanajanitas'Atam"

"Thus the pretty, sweet, skillful words spoken to Radha by Krishna,
Pleasing to the hearts of women, were composed by the poet Jayadeva."

Note: The metrical patterns in Gita Govinda are unique and exquisite.
There is a story concerning the composition of this aSTapadi of Jayadeva.
Jayadeva wrote the first six padas without any effort. When he came to the
seventh (smaragarala...), he beacme unsure. He thought that it would be a
blasphemy for Krishna's head to touch Radha's feet. So he, a resident of
Puri, left his work aside and went to the Jagannatha temple, perhaps to seek
divine guidance. After a while he returned home. He asked his wife
Padmavati what took place while he was in the temple. His wife replied:
`When did you leave and go to the temple? You were sitting there and
writing all the while.' Jayadeva took out his palm leaves. Lo and behold!
The seventh pada was already written for him, may be, by Lord Krishna
himself. This is only a story and an interesting one too. Anyway, the moral
is, in love there are no distinctions and there are no inequalities. Listen
to your heart and the head will take care of itself!

om s'aantih: Peace! - J. K. Mohana Rao

Source: Krishna's Love (II) - Jayadeva

cheer2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back