• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The god fallacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
....what is wrong ?. yes, some of them may boast about their lineage & how religious they are. so what ?. pl dont tell me there are no hypocrites in atheists. !!
JK, I have no problem agreeing there are lots of hypocrites among those claim to be atheists, I condemn them with as much vigor as I condemn the hypocrisy of the weekend, wannabe Brahmins, who transgress every last Brahminical principle all week long, and weekend too, only to pretend to be Brahmins during weekends and proclaim how great the vile Brahminism really is. I am ready to condemn hypocrisy among those who claim to be atheists and are really not, are you ready to condemn these weekend wannabe Brahmins?

Cheers!

JK, I have no problem agreeing there are lots of hypocrites among those claim to be atheists, I condemn them with as much vigor as I condemn the hypocrisy of the weekend, wannabe Brahmins, who transgress every last Brahminical principle all week long, and weekend too, only to pretend to be Brahmins during weekends and proclaim how great the vile Brahminism really is. I am ready to condemn hypocrisy among those who claim to be atheists and are really not, are you ready to condemn these weekend wannabe Brahmins?

Cheers!

Agree, we need to condemn the hypocrites on both sides of the aisle !!

Cheers!

Shri Nara,

It is ridiculous to point finger on Brahminism in Theism. Theism got nothing to do with caste specific. Both Brahmins and Non Brahmins in India are within the fold of Theism.

I have many NB friends and known people in my social circle, belonging to the caste - Pillai, Naadar, Mudalayaar & Devar. They all take pride in their lineage. They all show their great sense of spirituality on weekends and on holidays and rest of the days they are busy and active, dealing with their day to day affairs on both professional and social front. Brahmins of today in secular environment are no different than other castes people in their weekdays activities and weekend/holiday activities.

If we find 1000s of folks thronging temples on holy occasions and on weekends, we find as much crowd squeezing their way through ticket counters of Cinema halls, pubs and other entertainment zones.

As much as performance of many rituals at homes are found to be happening in all castes households in India, we find many casual and social gathering and party in the same households.

As pragmatic humans, people are living their life to the best of their satisfaction, based on their personal interest, practices and belief.

If you find 1000s of Ayappa devotees following all the restrictions to be like a hermit, dedicating mind and body towards the God, until 48 days of austerities and final performance of spiritual activities in Sabrimalai are over, we can find 100s of such devotees at least smoking cigarettes all the while. The former types of devotees over come their pleasure practices with reverence to their spiritual activities while later types of devotees have their own justification saying, they are honest in their sense of respect and devotion to Lord Ayappa though they smoke out of their habit as mere humans and they don't find anything wrong in it as long as they love Lord Ayappa and call every other folks as SWAMI.

The above categories of devotees are present in both Brahmin and Non Brahmin castes

Humans are the most complex, intelligent and even dangerous species in this world of Survival. Finding the loopholes and citing them to substantiate claims against God and Spirituality can not be withstanding.

Whatever may be the type/level of spiritual practices and the reasons behind among the Theists, all these got nothing to do with the TRUTH - God/Spirituality.

Shri Nara,

It is ridiculous to point finger on Brahminism in Theism. Theism got nothing to do with caste specific. Both Brahmins and Non Brahmins in India are within the fold of Theism.

I have many NB friends and known people in my social circle, belonging to the caste - Pillai, Naadar, Mudalayaar & Devar. They all take pride in their lineage. They all show their great sense of spirituality on weekends and on holidays and rest of the days they are busy and active, dealing with their day to day affairs on both professional and social front. Brahmins of today in secular environment are no different than other castes people in their weekdays activities and weekend/holiday activities.

If we find 1000s of folks thronging temples on holy occasions and on weekends, we find as much crowd squeezing their way through ticket counters of Cinema halls, pubs and other entertainment zones.

As much as performance of many rituals at homes are found to be happening in all castes households in India, we find many casual and social gathering and party in the same households.

As pragmatic humans, people are living their life to the best of their satisfaction, based on their personal interest, practices and belief.

If you find 1000s of Ayappa devotees following all the restrictions to be like a hermit, dedicating mind and body towards the God, until 48 days of austerities and final performance of spiritual activities in Sabrimalai are over, we can find 100s of such devotees at least smoking cigarettes all the while. The former types of devotees over come their pleasure practices with reverence to their spiritual activities while later types of devotees have their own justification saying, they are honest in their sense of respect and devotion to Lord Ayappa though they smoke out of their habit as mere humans and they don't find anything wrong in it as long as they love Lord Ayappa and call every other folks as SWAMI.

The above categories of devotees are present in both Brahmin and Non Brahmin castes

Humans are the most complex, intelligent and even dangerous species in this world of Survival. Finding the loopholes and citing them to substantiate claims against God and Spirituality can not be withstanding.

Whatever may be the type/level of spiritual practices and the reasons behind among the Theists, all these got nothing to do with the TRUTH - God/Spirituality.

Dear Ravi,

I agree with what you say..I cannot understand why anyone would want to call anyone a weekend Brahmin or a weekend Theist?

I also dont know why people detach daily activity/job/work/commitment etc from spirituality.
Many of us Theist put into practice the dharmic values of religion in our day to day undertakings.

I feel the problem arises when spirituality is totally divorced from daily activities and those types of Theist only stand the highest risk of becoming Atheist or an Adharmic individual(Note: I am not calling Atheist Adharmic here..I have use the word Or to denote two different types of individuals)

We humans tend to spend more time with family during weekends cos thats the time we are free and not tied up with work and commitments.
That doesnt mean through out the whole week we didnt love our family isnt it?

May be some people have kept God far from them during the weekdays and only thought of God during weekends and finally just lost track of time and forgot God all together.

Last edited:
Mr. Nara's post # 249 for reference:

Dear Mr. Nara,

I intervene. Please bear with me. Thank you.

I am as confirmed an atheist as any other atheist out there, yet, I will not fault those who live by their convictions. I see the orthodox Brahmin servants in Brahminical Matams, the ones who live by the austere regimen, I only have sympathy for them, no contempt, no animosity.

This needs some elaboration. Why sympathy? What, pray what, in their austere regimen evokes sympathy? ‘No contempt and no animosity’ is a statement of the obvious. These Acharyas never argue with you about anything and never try to convert you to their belief system. It is a ‘take it or leave it sort of situation’ for you. So you can not have contempt for them. And no animosity - because they are not capable of inducing such intense negative feelings in your mind. But sympathy – needs some elaboration. Will you please elaborate?

However, when I see the scores of part-time Brahmins, who mingle among the high and mighty with suave and ease all week long, and come weekend, adorn clumsy kaccham and talk a high talk of their Brahmincal lineage and eminence, believe you me, all the Brahmins I have come across fit this mold, I feel no hesitation to call them out.

You have not understood those “part-time Brahmins” and so you are ridiculing them with these barbs. They are souls who have to live in their present times(in the midst of people like you) for survival and yet keep their roots to a glorious value-based culture in tact. Their kachcham looks clumsy to you because you know how to wear it perfectly and you have seen people wearing it perfectly. When I see a child, wearing its father’s shirt, trips and falls(clumsily?) I do not ridicule it. I understand its desire perfectly. When a friend of me contributes a hundred Rupees a month to Udhavum Karangal which is doing excellent work in the area of destitutes rehabilitation (which needs lakhs of rupees every month) I do understand his underlying desire to help and do not ridicule his miserly contribution. It requires a special flawed mindset with prejudices and vanity to find fault with these so called “week-end” or “part-time” Brahmins’ die-hard will to cling to their good, marvelous, ancient heritage/roots. And your words “I feel no hesitation to call them out” reveals your contempt for them and nothing else. Bharathi said “routhram pazhaku”. Please try to understand what he meant by that. What you have exhibited is not “routhram”. <Edtd - KRS>

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear brother Nara Ji,

In your post #249 above, you said:

If dear Y must be called out for his flamboyant atheism, I hope I am allowed to assert my right to call upon the hypocrisy of these theists, weekend/wannabe brahmins, at the very least the ones who make hypocritical assertions.

I don't know what 'flamboyant atheism' is. As I have been saying, and it seems like it is being ignored as nonsense, spirituality and religion are very personal. One can think that theism is not for one, but it seems like to me, Atheists (all who are vocal) are intent on either disparaging theism or as you say, being flamboyant in that they make untenable claims of human superiority both in the make up of an individual or based on the ability to have achieved as 'winners' in life with all the accompanying material comforts. There seems to be no account given to the immediate human condition presented (we have seen it in any lack of empathy for any personal conditions of folks presented here, like Sri S. Ramanathan Ji above or Sri Dharun Ravi elsewhere), instead an amorphous 'crying' for all poor all over the globe as an atheist as the sole propriety is claimed. These seem both obnoxious and obscene to me, as none of these claims can be backed up by any evidence but only by an over blown ego, intent on hurting others..

Having said that, I recognize that you are not of the same ilk. But, then it seems to me, that you belong to the group of Atheists of the likes of Dawkins and Hitchins, who are pained by all the 'atrocities' done by all theism, and blame the ills of the current society on religions. We can argue on these forever, with us the theists bringing up the failures of the Atheist governments of the recent past as well as now, but then these arguments fall on deaf ears, with no logical explanations. In my opinion, this lack of seeing a universality of understanding the frailty of all humans as we develop as humans is what makes this 'branch' of Atheism as religion. Damn even a possibility of existence of a deity, damn any existing reason why the majority of humans possibly born spiritual, the narrative of the epistemology of this Atheism is that these majority of humans are clearly too stupid (irrational and illogical) to see the light.

Consequence of such thinking, interestingly enough is the opposite of the 'flamboyancy' you cite. We will have empathy for anyone we think are the 'victims' of these conspiratorial systems of the past, be it' Brahminism' or any Theistic systems - oh but, we declare any materialism based systems as 'Charvakas' or 'Buddhists' as the perfect religions. Of course, these were mercilessly fell victim to the evil theistic religions!

So, this 'agenda' is what is driving these attacks on theistic folks on the basis of 'hypocrisy'. 'Part time' brahmins, 'poverty peddler', etc., etc., are being 'called out'.

Here is Mother Theresa, whether one agrees with her theology or not, in my opinion, was a simple human being who helped scores and scores of poor and who did not lead a luxurious life by any means is attacked and scorned. A book is titled obscenely, just on the basis that her mission took donations from a few nefarious characters.

Same vein with these 'part time' brahmins. Hypocrisy is a deeply held human condition. It is done because of internal conflicts that arise within a human being, and gives rise even to a lot of parents behaving that way towards their children (Do as what I say, not as what I do). Brahmins of today are undergoing enormous pressures as well as undergoing enormous changes as a group (I understand other groups are doing so as well, but my interest for our argument is this group). They are only about a few generations removed from their ancient way of life, and they are trying to find an expression to explain their current lives. You have found yours. But then, that does not mean that others need to do the same as you did. Human beings are not all the same. They need empathy and support towards this march to find a relative equilibrium in their lives, not dersion and contempt, being called out as 'hypocrites'.

This is why I do not agree with your style of 'in the face' accusations. Being a humanist is a universal condition. That is why, it is both surprising and astonishing for me to see some folks who would not have any empathy for any human beings who are finding themselves at a very confusing place in history. How can one, with a particular intellectual, emotional and spiritual make up say that others who are choosing to lead a different way of life are all hypocrites? What gives a human being any right to say that? I just don't understand.

Regards,
KRS

....It is ridiculous to point finger on Brahminism in Theism. Theism got nothing to do with caste specific. Both Brahmins and Non Brahmins in India are within the fold of Theism.
Ravi, I have no idea what you mean by "point finger on Brahminism in Theism". If you think I should have directed my comments to NB as well as B Theists, but did not, then you have misunderstood what I was trying to say.

There is a whole lot of you out there constantly and repeatedly making silly, untrue, outlandish, and downright obnoxious comments about atheists in general. I normally ignore them for what they are. This time Shri KRS made a generalized comment about atheists in general praying to themselves while dying, which I am sure was only in jest. Since it was Shri KRS I wanted to give a response, that is all.

BTW, I have no problem with weekend wannaby Brahmins, they deserve as much respect and dignity as anybody else. What I condemn is the hypocrisy they wear on their lapel. As I mentioned earlier, almost all the Brahmins I come across, if not all, exhibit this hypocritical attitude.

Since I hail from the Brahmin community I am intimately familiar with Brahmins, and therefore, able to write about them with confidence. Let others who are familiar with other caste groups you have mentioned comment on them.

....I feel the problem arises when spirituality is totally divorced from daily activities and those types of Theist only stand the highest risk of becoming Atheist or an Adharmic individual (Note: I am not calling Atheist Adharmic here..I have use the word Or to denote two different types of individuals).
Ravi, I cite this as one example of the tendency to put down Atheists. Criticize atheism all you like, but making baseless speculative comments about individuals is juvenile. Consider a mirror image of this statement:

I feel the problem arises when the theists flaunt their superstitious faith everyday, these types of Theist only stand the highest risk of becoming delusional or thieving fraudster god-men (Note: I am not calling Theist as thieving fraudster god-men...I have used the word Or to denote two different types of individuals).

Please understand, I really don't care, anybody can say any unsupported and evidence free nonsense, I would gladly ignore them all. Even now I wonder why I bother.

.... It requires a special flawed mindset with prejudices and vanity to find fault with these so called “week-end” or “part-time” Brahmins’ die-hard will to cling to their good, marvelous, ancient heritage/roots. And your words “I feel no hesitation to call them out” reveals your contempt for them and nothing else. Bharathi said “routhram pazhaku”. Please try to understand what he meant by that. What you have exhibited is not “routhram”. <Edtd - KRS>.
See Ravi, this is what I am talking about. Pure vile against me the person. When I criticize weekend wannabe brahmins this guy attacks me.

Anyway, I do have contempt for the extreme jAti prejudice these guys exhibit when they come to Matam in the weekend and play Brahmins. I have seen scores and scores of them, some my own family members. I do have contempt for their contemptible mindset, thank you very much.

...This is why I do not agree with your style of 'in the face' accusations. Being a humanist is a universal condition. That is why, it is both surprising and astonishing for me to see some folks who would not have any empathy for any human beings who are finding themselves at a very confusing place in history. How can one, with a particular intellectual, emotional and spiritual make up say that others who are choosing to lead a different way of life are all hypocrites? What gives a human being any right to say that? I just don't understand.
Dear brother, I don't think all theists are hypocrites, that is not what I said either.

When I present contrary views with passion you see it as "in your face". At the same time I see people making vile statements, not about my view, but about me.

Cheers!

You have put it nicely. <Edtd. - KRS> Such hatred for brahmins and brahminism and oft expressed intent to destroy seems to be the only purpose in life.

It requires a special flawed mindset with prejudices and vanity to find fault with these so called “week-end” or “part-time” Brahmins’ die-hard will to cling to their good, marvelous, ancient heritage/roots. And your words “I feel no hesitation to call them out” reveals your contempt for them and nothing else. Bharathi said “routhram pazhaku”. Please try to understand what he meant by that. <Edtd - KRS>

Cheers.

Dear brother Nara Ji,
I know you did not call all theists as hypocrites. But then, you used other words. My comment was about the general attitude towards theism and a particular attitude towards the 'hypocrites'. I did not question you on calling the hypocrites as such, only the seeming lack of empathy towards them. 'In your face' comment was not said in anger towards you, but to amplify again my astonishment of seeming lack of empathy towards humanity.

As you know, I have been moderating on both sides, and I will continue to do so.

Regards,
KRS

Dear brother, I don't think all theists are hypocrites, that is not what I said either.

When I present contrary views with passion you see it as "in your face". At the same time I see people making vile statements, not about my view, but about me.

Cheers!

For the ignorant lot, here are some samples of contrary views presented with passion: (picked right from this thread)
If they appear as vile statements blame yourself and your mind for viewing it that way.

o As I expected the excerpts you are posting are nothing more than the same old assertions that have been presented time and time again. They are devoid of any rhyme or reason or logic, or, any trace of the much reviled verifiable evidence.
o If a God really exists, I am sure he will not be such a narcissistic sadist as those who believe in the power of prayer make him out to be.
o In my experience all these books are filled with no more worthwhile or interesting arguments than what you or others present here.
o It is a pity that people just want to jump in with canned responses, it is all in the Vedas, the Vedic people already knew everything, they were better than H.G. Wells
o When it comes to studying this I-consciousness, the religious of all stripes, including the followers of Brahminism, are stuck with their ancient texts, brhman, jeeva, higher knowledge, lower knowledge -- everything completely made up and asserted with not a single piece of verifiable evidence,

Dear Sri Ozone Ji,

Yes, there are two sides.

But of late, only one side has been making unfortunate PERSONAL attacks and unfortunately you have been one of the contributors.

Regards,
KRS

As you know, I have been moderating on both sides, and I will continue to do so.
Are there really two sides for viewing this? Wouldnt it help if you use a different colour so we can track them?

Dear brother Nara Ji,

To continue, please look at these statements by you, above:

Criticize atheism all you like, but making baseless speculative comments about individuals is juvenile.
Srimathi Renuka Ji was making a general statement, not about an individual. I don't see where an Atheist is attacked.

You also said:
There is a whole lot of you out there constantly and repeatedly making silly, untrue, outlandish, and downright obnoxious comments about atheists in general. I normally ignore them for what they are.
You know brother, in the future, please let me know when such comments are made, if you allow me to point out such comments made by the two Atheists in the Forum about Theists and Brahmins in general, we can then steer the conversation towards discussing the human condition while according ALL human beings their due dignity.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Shri Nara,

All I want to tell you and Shri Yamaka is, to debate on "if there exists God fallacy or NOT", citing human corruption, poverty and common Men behaviors in their day to day life, in any generation, irrespective of caste and creed, would not be withstanding.

If you say, many fraudulent and evil things are happening/can happen using Theism, I would not deny.

If you say Atheism/atheists do not necessarily mean existence of corrupt and evil people, creating havoc, I certainly would not deny.

We must keep aside all the negative tendencies of folks, irrespective of which "ism" they belong to. It would then help in constructive debate, purely on academic POV.

That is what I told Shri Yamaka, in one of my previous posts, addressing him, that, SET can be used to destroy any part of the World BUT that does not mean SET is Evil and it has to be severely condemned for its existence.

I didn't find your post as an attempt towards making personal insult, addressing Shri S.Ramanathan, where you were only making your points to frown upon God/Spirituality, based on different patient's outcome in the real life story. You wanted to show how "God fallacy" exists.

Shri Nara,

I didn't find any derogatory comments about Atheist by Shri KRS when he said - "Atheist die with prayers to himself" unlike theist who would die with prayers to his maker, after finding Sri Yamaka's response on human's feeling in their death bed.

When Atheist says that there exist no supernatural powers/spirituality and obviously no GOD who has intelligently designed human anatomy with beautiful alignment from top to bottom, then what's wrong to conclude that such person while dying would only be wishing/expecting his body to perform well and keep introspecting where things are going wrong and how can he restore normalcy, with the help of SET and not expecting any non visible, unproved and non existing powers to intervene and rescue him?

This is in reply to Mr. Nara's post #258:

See Ravi, this is what I am talking about. Pure vile against me the person. When I criticize weekend wannabe brahmins this guy attacks me.

If wearing a kachcham (clumsily sometime and elegantly sometime), wearing oorthvapundram, wearing a yagyopaveetham, going to the matom and paying respects to the Acharyan on some weekends(because you do not get time for such activities often) listening to what he says by way of a upanyasam, partaking in the prasad distributed there—all this without knowing Manudharma Shastra, without being a learned vedic scholar, a pundit or Shastri, or even well versed in the Tamil works of Alwars are all the marks of a wannabe, week-end brahmin(as is repeatedly, derisively called here by you) then please take note that I am one such brahmin. I have also quite a few friends fullfilling these conditions, who are all far better individuals than many learned and conceited professors and intellectuals I have come across. We did not have the time and opportunity to know in great detail what is said in Dharma shastras or Vedas/Upanishads. We know a little bit and that little bit has impressed us immensely.That is enough for us to believe that the rest of what is said in these holy texts are all good and pure knowledge only. We are all ordinary souls in search of truth and we do have all the weaknesses of any human being. I am not just a ‘guy’ who has something personal to attack you without reason. The wannabe week-end brahmin who is ridiculed has a right to hit back and that is what I have done – mildly-as a representative of the many such brahmins who are silently suffering your repeated attacks. When you keep pouring scorn on brahmins with epithets coined with your scholastic talent you should also be prepared to take, once in a while, the words bouncing back at you. According to you, whatever you said remains just ‘criticism’ while what I said in reply has become ‘pure vile’. This is strange logic indeed. In your all consuming desire to attack and make fun of the brahmins you have not answered my question. Or is it deleberate, a convenient “strawman” to escape an inconvenient question?

Anyway, I do have contempt for the extreme jAti prejudice these guys exhibit when they come to Matam in the weekend and play Brahmins. I have seen scores and scores of them, some my own family members. I do have contempt for their contemptible mindset, thank you very much.

You can have your contempt for the brahmins for their perceived prejudices, ungainly kachams, the poonool- otherwise ridiculed as the flaunting of their epaulets with bars etc., you may have met scores and scores of them because you are looking only for them in the crowd. We, the wannabe brahmins too have our contempts for the people who never dare to take a look at themselves in a mirror-those conceited, narcissic, always patronising and vain, ignorant and loud mouthed intellectuals.

Cheers.

Dear Ozone Ji,

While these are aggressive statements, can you point out, where among these, our dear Professor Nara Ji, attacks any FORUM member PERSONALLY?

These are all attacks on ideas and these are allowed. If you can not stand up and argue on the merits of ideas, then what can I say? If one can not argue on ideas, then one resorts to personal attacks.

Regards,
KRS

For the ignorant lot, here are some samples of contrary views presented with passion: (picked right from this thread)
If they appear as vile statements blame yourself and your mind for viewing it that way.

o As I expected the excerpts you are posting are nothing more than the same old assertions that have been presented time and time again. They are devoid of any rhyme or reason or logic, or, any trace of the much reviled verifiable evidence.
o If a God really exists, I am sure he will not be such a narcissistic sadist as those who believe in the power of prayer make him out to be.
o In my experience all these books are filled with no more worthwhile or interesting arguments than what you or others present here.
o It is a pity that people just want to jump in with canned responses, it is all in the Vedas, the Vedic people already knew everything, they were better than H.G. Wells
o When it comes to studying this I-consciousness, the religious of all stripes, including the followers of Brahminism, are stuck with their ancient texts, brhman, jeeva, higher knowledge, lower knowledge -- everything completely made up and asserted with not a single piece of verifiable evidence,

True Believers, Week-End Wannabes and Non-Believers: A Historical Perspective.

I want to take the conversation away from this issues of stoning the Non-Believers, which usually happens in this Forum quite frequently. We are two loners here (Dear Nara and myself: we were called all sorts of choicest names, curses etc. That's quite expected historically speaking, IMO.. Lol).

Up until perhaps the dawn of Industrial Revolution (when SET started its stealth attack on Society!), most activities were centered around Temples, Churches and Mosques. Those who did not toe the line were brutally hanged in the trees everyday with lots of fanfare... (Recall all that happened during Spanish Inquisition etc). All most all people were True Believers.

Then SET came.. Scientists developed specialized areas like Parasitology, Bacteriology, Virology, Immunology etc and medicine slowly became a very attractive and promising field of Science. More people were saved from mysterious deaths and people started living a predictable life...

Something dramatically happened.. Temples, Churches and Mosques started losing their choke-hold on the lives of people, and people started thinking using the IDEAS propounded by Science, Engineering & Technology (SET).

In about 300 years, we started seeing a new crop of People: the Weekend Wannabes.. these people want to keep one leg in the Religious Orthodoxy of Belief in SNA, PPB and JPK and another leg in the pursuit of SET or enjoying the fruits that it gave very generously!

These people are the Double Talkers with ambiguous concepts... they Want the Cake and Eat it Too...!

These humongous number of people are less sympathetic to those still trapped in the Mutts, Monestaries and Madrassas.
They named them as "Naive and Superstitious People".

And these people are very angry at the Non-Believers who walked totally away from the Gods, Ghosts, Spirits and Religions!

Therefore, the Middle Group of "Neither this Nor That" People must introspect well and either go back to the Orthodoxy or join the true Non-Believers like Yamaka and Nara.

Jumping the Well Halfway will not cut it...intellectually, and conceptually speaking!

More later...

:)

Last edited:
In about 300 years, we started seeing a new crop of People: the Weekend Wannabes.. these people want to keep one leg in the Religious Orthodoxy of Belief in SNA, PPB and JPK and another leg in the pursuit of SET or enjoying the fruits that it gave very generously!

These people are the Double Talkers with ambiguous concepts... they Want the Cake and Eat it Too...!

These humongous number of people are less sympathetic to those still trapped in the Mutts, Monestaries and Madrassas.
They named them as "Naive and Superstitious People".

And these people are very angry at the Non-Believers who walked totally away from the Gods, Ghosts, Spirits and Religions!

Therefore, the Middle Group of "Neither this Nor That" People must introspect well and either go back to the Orthodoxy or join the true Non-Believers like Yamaka and Nara.

Jumping the Well Halfway will not cut it...intellectually, and conceptually speaking!

More later...

:)

Hi Yamaka,

Have to disagree on the above points. without SET none of us will be on this internet forum. SET in today's world is the lively hood for all of us.

Just becos the believers also are product of SET & also have one leg in the religious activities does not mean they are double talkers etc..

you have seen my earlier posts on how I believe the scientific view is coming closer to the Vedic view.

In the earlier post, Nara says the entire concept of jeevatmas etc. have no shred of evidence. however if you look at the scientific research on "out of body" experience, it points to the direction of jeevatmas.

to even have a "out of body" experience, there must be a soul (jeevatma) that can leave the body etc.. so given this study, it only reinforces our belief that the Vedas are the ultimate truth. t

This study is a product of SET. so even the atheists and fence sitters should actually start believing in God now !!

Agree with you, they should be enough proof/evidence to support them. But just becos it not proven today, does not mean it will not be proven tomorrow.

Cheers,
JK

.... I did not question you on calling the hypocrites as such, only the seeming lack of empathy towards them. 'In your face' comment was not said in anger towards you, but to amplify again my astonishment of seeming lack of empathy towards humanity.
Dear brother, I think you are mistaking my argument against theism and jAti attidudes of Brahminists as lack of empathy. What seems as lack of empathy is just that, it seems so, not reality.

Yes, I do appreciate it.

....Srimathi Renuka Ji was making a general statement, not about an individual. I don't see where an Atheist is attacked.
What do you think is the purpose of the sentence I quoted? Does that add any value to rebut Atheism? It was merely a speculation about what types of Theist face the "risk" of becoming Atheist. As I said in that post, these kinds of statements are a regular fare and I normally ignore them. This time I wanted to show them what these statement sound like by presenting a mirror image of it.

You know brother, in the future, please let me know when such comments are made, if you allow me to point out such comments made by the two Atheists in the Forum about Theists and Brahmins in general, we can then steer the conversation towards discussing the human condition while according ALL human beings their due dignity.
The main problem is personal attacks. When it comes to ideas we must have a free hand as long as we can back up our arguments in a rational way. I welcome your views on any unnecessary unsubstantiated negative comments and I will not hesitate to make suitable and timely amends if appropriate.

Cheers!

Sri Yamaka Ji said:

I just can not let this go by without challenge, as this is a totally bogus.

First - Science is part and parcel of all religions. How does one think modern science came about? Not only mathematics, physics, astronomy, chemistry, biology etc. were studies in systematic ways in almost all cultures and religious folks, there were fully developed logical systems like Nyaya in Hindu culture. They even had a form of peer reviews. Please see this on the History of Science:
History of science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Modern Science has had more advances because of the Industrial Revolution and the resulting advances in manufacturing and thus more scientific instruments. See this against those who claim that today's Science is superior:
Until the late 20th century the history of science, especially of the physical and biological sciences, was seen as a narrative celebrating the triumph of true theories over false. Science was portrayed as a major dimension of the progress of civilization. In recent decades, postmodern views, especially influenced by Thomas Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions (1962), the history is seen in terms of competing paradigms or conceptual systems battling for intellectual supremacy in a wider matrix that includes intellectual, cultural, economic and political themes outside pure science. New attention is paid to science outside the context of Western Europe.

Quoted from the above cited Wikipedia source

So, only people without any knowledge about the endeavors of mankind in all areas of human development, still think that Science alone is superior.

This constant claim that somehow Science and Religion are opposed to each other is absurd and a strawman. In fact, I can equally claim that Atheism is not incompatible with Science with equal absurdity.

Now, let me give an example, taken right out of Sri Yamaka Ji's claims here to validate his Atheism, based on SET:

People of poor because they are theists!
I was able to marry the woman I wanted, because of my Atheism!
I raised two wonderful kids, who are brilliant, because of my Atheism!
If I had gone back to India, I would have been murdered (as per my wife) by her Brahmin relatives, because I am an Atheist!
I am a scientist, because I am an Atheist (and vice versa)!
I love China, because they are Atheists!
I am a superior human being because I am an atheist!

Yes, sure, Sri Yamaka Ji.

The sun also rises on the east everyday, because the cocks crow before it does.

Regards,
KRS

.....In about 300 years, we started seeing a new crop of People: the Weekend Wannabes.. these people want to keep one leg in the Religious Orthodoxy of Belief in SNA, PPB and JPK and another leg in the pursuit of SET or enjoying the fruits that it gave very generously!
Dear Y, I agree in general with what you have said in this post, however, I want to offer some clarification on this particular passage as I think it could be easily misunderstood.

The fruits of SET belongs to everyone, everyone has a right to enjoy these benefits. But, some of these people try to pretend their religious doctrines are equal to science or even superior to science. All major religions do this, Christians, Muslims and our dear followers of Brahminism. This is a kind of hypocrisy, on the one hand enjoying the fruits of SET and at the same time putting down science. This is what I want to argue about, not about people of faith enjoying benefits of science.

BTW, any religious belief that is demonstrated in scientifically rigorous manner automatically becomes part of science.

The second clarification I would like to offer is about the weekend and wannabe brahmins. By this I do not mean those who wish to practice their faith during the weekend having been busy with worldly pursuits during the week. I am talking about the "brahmnical" mindset of jAti and gender supremacy of these people who couldn't be bothered with the more demanding austerities all week long, but want to pretend during the weekend -- madi/AchAram in the morning, Saravana Bhavan in the evening kind. If I have seen one, I have seen a thousand, they all openly practice this. This hypocrisy is what I am criticizing.

Pick a side!!!

Cheers!

I feel the problem arises when the theists flaunt their superstitious faith everyday, these types of Theist only stand the highest risk of becoming delusional or thieving fraudster god-men (Note: I am not calling Theist as thieving fraudster god-men...I have used the word Or to denote two different types of individuals).

It amusing reading this..I can read in between lines but its Ok yaar...have fun be happy.
Somehow whatever I write the word God men will be included in the reply to me.
Thats still Ok cos I guess its Namasmaranam for you too..
after all even in Srirudram there is a line that goes:

Namo Nicerave Paricaraayaaranyaanaam Pataye Namo

Salutations to Him who moves about guardedly ever with the intention to steal;to Him who moves amidst crowds and thronged places to the Lord of forest thieves,salutations.

When the Lord is the thief of all sufferings from our heart what more do I need to fear?

Last edited:
Dear Ozone Ji,

While these are aggressive statements, can you point out, where among these, our dear Professor Nara Ji, attacks any FORUM member PERSONALLY?

These are all attacks on ideas and these are allowed. If you can not stand up and argue on the merits of ideas, then what can I say? If one can not argue on ideas, then one resorts to personal attacks.

Regards,
KRS

Perhaps, what is considered "personal attack" needs to be clarified.

I have said this before. As far as this forum is concerned, a person is what he writes.

If a person expresses extreme prejudice against a group of people or community and expresses constant derison against the members of the community unjustly, what is wrong in deeming such writings as hatemongering?

Will doing so be considered as launching a personal attack against the said member?

Nara said:
Criticize atheism all you like, but making baseless speculative comments about individuals is juvenile.
Nara said:
There is a whole lot of you out there constantly and repeatedly making silly, untrue, outlandish, and downright obnoxious comments about atheists in general. I normally ignore them for what they are.

Who is to decide that the comments made about atheists are speculative, silly, untrue, outlandish etc?

If Nara expects that his words on hypocritical brahmins be taken as gospel of truth, why not allow the same facility to the theists? After all, every one of us writes from our own experiences!

Every atheist I have come across is an hypocrite and hatemonger and this forum has not thrown any surprises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back