• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

test at sacred thread ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Goalus

I think the info has been wrongly propagated to you. It should be performed even within the age of 5. (I dont know whether a child(??) can attain puberty by that time). The manthras are like that the mother should show the son the sun. Also before the kama krodha madha mascharyas enter into the mind of the child, it should be done and the child with the help of gayathri will protect itself from these bad things. Now due to many reasons people are doing upanaya samskara to their child even after 15-20 years of age. But this is not the right deal actually.

Since the samskara should be done so early, I think there is no test at all. How can we test a child. (Actually nowadays a child has been tested even for joining in pre-kg). But am damn sure our sasthra is not that much crucial.

Pranams

Dear Durga,

Its true that there is nothing to test child for his eligibility to undergo upanayanam.

But I think generally upanayanam is performed for a child during any on his age between 7 & 10 years, when the child would be able to chant Gayatri Mantram at least during the ceremony and on regular basis, holding the knot (Brahma Mudichu) of the poonal in a prescribed way...

Brahmopadesam

Yes, Brahmopadesam and Upanayanam refer to the same ritual. And, ideally, the boy must be 8 years old when this ritual is performed. It is not a ritual of manhood, but marks the age in ancient history when boys were sent to the gurukulam to learn appropriate aspects of the Vedas based on caste.

hi folks,
i got upanayanam at the age of 7 years old...but i got puberty
at 14 years old ..i think..hahahahaaaaaaaa....
my son is 9 years old..he is getting upanayanam in may 2010 ..next month..
i think..he didnt get puberty till now.. i think so...hahahaaaaaaaa

regards
tbs

not like that........

My friend told that they will make me mastebate to test if i attained puberty..... i was doubtful if they do such things, so i asked here...

Test at sacred thread ceremony

I think this august forum is losing its purpose like taking about masturbate and upanayam,how many wives grandfathers have had and a long prolog on nithynanda. It is being slowly turned into a blitz paper or daily thanthi. It is disgusting. Let us promote spiritual thoughts and reach purity of the chit to get sat chit anand for which our ancestors have strived for.

Dear Goalus
Your friend is envious of your upanayanam because he may not get the equivalent in his religion etc.
What a way to insinuate our dharma. If despite such insinuations like what have been referred herein, even unintentinally, our religion and faith subsists and sustains, it is due to its inherent greatness.
I also feel sorry that an adolescent thinks this forum of brahmins is like any other forum where everything is encouraged. I do not know if our moderator overlooked such insinuating query.

upanayanam & Brahmopadesam

Yes, Brahmopadesam and Upanayanam refer to the same ritual. And, ideally, the boy must be 8 years old when this ritual is performed. It is not a ritual of manhood, but marks the age in ancient history when boys were sent to the gurukulam to learn appropriate aspects of the Vedas based on caste.

Manu smriti says "Garbashtamam" which is 8 years including garbhavasam, and hence the normal age for upanayanam is 7 years.

Manu has given another rule, that if a boy is studious enough then upanayanam can be performed at the age of 5 itself.

Though Yagyopaveedadhaaranam and brahmopadesam are performed during the poonal kalyanam-The thread investituture with the mantra that we use everytime we change poonal(Yagnyopaveetham paramam pavithram ...), brahmopadesam is the upadesam of the Sri Gayathri mantra.
Both are two separate events, one followed by the other during Poonal kalyanam.

It's interesting to note that Sanyasis of sankara mutts cast off the yagyopaveetham and hold on to a Danda,when they take to the sanyasa ashrama, where as the srivaishnava sanyasis retain the six threads (or in some cases add 3 more and make it 9) and hold a Thridanda.

Srimad Ramayana mentions that Ravana came guised as a Tridandi Sanyasi when he abducted Sita. Sangam Tamil literature finds mention of "Mukkorpagavar" - Tridandi sanyasis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back