• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Temple manners and rules for praying to devatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Hare Krishna
I have a request - will be nice if PJ ji, Vaagmi ji or someone knowledgeable can point me to an article that shows the right way to pray to devatas at the temple - both Shaiva and Vaishnava (this is because many temple are mixed with both sect devatas being together). I'm interested in knowing what is the right order of worshiping devatas - all I know is that Vinagayar worship is to be done first followed by other devatas.

Thanks.

I have a request - will be nice if PJ ji, Vaagmi ji or someone knowledgeable can point me to an article that shows the right way to pray to devatas at the temple - both Shaiva and Vaishnava (this is because many temple are mixed with both sect devatas being together). I'm interested in knowing what is the right order of worshiping devatas - all I know is that Vinagayar worship is to be done first followed by other devatas.

Thanks.
hi

just 3 or 4 times....perumale sevichhale podhum......SARVA DEVA NAMASKARAM KESAVAM PRATI GACCATI.....EVERYTHING

NARAYANA....EVERYWHERE NARAYANA.....

எல்லோரும் இன்புற்று இருக்க அல்லாமல் வேறொன்றும் அறியேன் பராபரமே.

If you are a vaishnavite and you believe in the principles of vaishnavism, then there is just one God whom you may worship. Vaishnavism is a monotheistic religion and does not support polytheism. God is just one and his avatars are many. So depending on your knowledge, upbringing and your conscious preferences you may choose to worship a Rama, Krishna, Nrisimha or Srinivasa or any other avatar.

The principle of Thayar in Vaishnavism is a special one and it is a highly nuanced subject. As this is not a place to discuss the full meaning of Sri Tatva, it is enough if we understand that Thayar is an enabling aspect of God who makes our surrender to God that much easy and effective.

So, when you go to a temple, first go to Thayar sannidhi and worship her and pray for her grace. Then go straight to Perumal sannidhi and pray before Him. Prayer should include a reiteration of the surrender you have already made. The reiteration is only for yourself to remind you that your existence is a saupAdhika seshathvam-meaning all inclusive surrender. Thank him for all the good that has happened to you in life.

Then you may go to other sannidhis and pray, remembering that your God entity pervades each of those devatas as the seshi. Your God entity is the indwelling soul of all those devtas.

Try to keep this awareness of sesha/seshi relationship a continuing one like the unbroken flow of oil-thaila dhara.

This is what briefly a vaishnavite does in a temple.

I do not intend to enter into any protracted arguments over what I have posted above. So I may not answer some of the questions from some of the members when they may be raised.

This post is in response to a specific request for info.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

Thank you so much for the clarification. Owing to your wonderful explanation on how to do naivedyam the proper way, I feel very blissful while offering them to the devatas in my household shrine. Hence when my question arose on how to do proper worship at the temple, I could think of none else other than you and ofcourse, PJ ji, both of whom are the most knowledgeable in my observation.

It so happens that in our local Sri Lakshmi Temple, as soon as one enters, there is a Iyyappa sannidhi on the left, adjacent to whom Sri Satyanarayana is placed. Then if you proceed straight instead of going left, you can see Sri Ganapathi, then after him, in clockwise direction mother Mahalakshmi, Sri Venkatachalapathi, and then Lord Nataraja/Sivakami, Sri Murugan, Navagrahas, Shri Hanuman and that's all of them.

At my home shrine, I do not have other devatas from Shaiva family except Sri Ganapathi. It so happens that although born in a SriVaishnava home, my mother was greatly attached to Shakta deities (like Karumariamman) and none of us really know the proper way to worship Vaishnava devatas. My attachment to Sri Rama is something that came to me naturally and not because of being born into a home that worships Sri Rama. So this is the way I got attracted to Vaishnavam and trying to practice it, although I still do not know the right way to conduct myself as a SriVaishnava.

When little, I got so drawn to Sri Ganesha that I used to frequent a Ganesha temple near my home every single day. So still carrying that affection around, I have Sri Ganapathi in my home shrine. And stop by Ganapathi/Skanda/Shiva shrines at the temple too, although I request nothing and do a simple namaskara with my hands.

So that is the reason I wanted to know how to and in what sequence to worship devatas, as are placed in my local temple.

I thank you for taking your time to explain to me.

Last edited:
Dear Jayashree,

I came across a nice blog and wish to share with you. These are a few lines from
இறைவனை எப்படி வணங்கவேண்டும்.

இந்து கோவில்களில் இப்படித்தான் வழிபட வேண்டும் என்ற நிர்ப்பந்தங்கள் ஏதும் கிடையாது. இந்து கோவில்களில் முதலில்

கொடி மரத்தின் கீழ் விழுந்து வணங்கி விட்டு விநாயகர் முன் தலையில் குட்டி, தோப்புக்கரணம் போட்டு வணங்க வேண்டும் என்று சில

வழிபாட்டு முறைகள் பின்பற்றப்பட்டு வருகிறது. ஆபிரகாமிய மதங்களைப் போல இப்படி வணங்கா விட்டால் நரகத்துக்கு செல்வீரகள்

என்று பயமுறுத்துவது இல்லை.

There are some rules to be followed in the order of prayer in a few temples! Vadakkunnathan (Shiva) temple at Trichur displays

a huge board to give us the order in which the deities are to be prayed. It was too complicated to remember and hence we went

round the temple, praying in all sannadhis. :cool:

I am right and I will do whatever I want may be the voice of liberals, but in every situation it is advisable to stick to the traditions followed by the temple/mutt/institution if explicitly stated. In pre CAD days, all engineering drawings had these instruction prominently printed - do not scale or measure, if in doubt ask. The sequence and method of worship is temples and in home have a reference in our religious texts, and adapted by temples and religious denomination groups both for community worship and individual daily worship at home.

I had an interesting conversation some last month.. someone who is a priest told me that one should not recite Rudram in front of Perumal.

So I asked him "tell me where Perumal is not present?"

He did not give me an answer.

I had an interesting conversation some last month.. someone who is a priest told me that one should not recite Rudram in front of Perumal.

hi

u are real ADVAITIN....lah.....

hi

u are real ADVAITIN....lah.....

Dear TBS garu,

I dont know lah if I am an Advaitin!LOL

That is why I prefer open space empty room without altar/idol for prayers cos we are free to recite whatever we like..be it from Narayana Upanishad to Rudram/Chamakam...when there is no idol in front of us there is no restriction either and feel more connected to the cosmos.

When I got married...my husband did not know that I only prayed in an empty room and he was quite taken aback and asked me again and again "You are a Hindu isnt it?"

I said "why the doubt?"

So you see in arranged marriages..shockers only come after marriage!LOL

Dear TBS garu,

That is why I prefer open space empty room without altar/idol for prayers cos we are free to recite whatever we like..be it from Narayana Upanishad to Rudram/Chamakam...when there is no idol in front of us there is no restriction either and feel more connected to the cosmos.

When I got married...my husband did not know that I only prayed in an empty room and he was quite taken aback and asked me again and again "You are a Hindu isnt it?"

I said "why the doubt?"

siva sivaaaaaaa.

Dear TBS garu,

I said "why the doubt?"

hi

allahhhhhhhhhhh....

hi

allahhhhhhhhhhh....

I can recite whole Azan from memory too!LOL

Its actually good to know about all religions..its makes us able to understand the evolution of thought of humans.

Last edited:
Dear Jayashree,

I came across a nice blog and wish to share with you. These are a few lines from
இறைவனை எப்படி வணங்கவேண்டும்.

There are some rules to be followed in the order of prayer in a few temples! Vadakkunnathan (Shiva) temple at Trichur displays

a huge board to give us the order in which the deities are to be prayed. It was too complicated to remember and hence we went

round the temple, praying in all sannadhis. :cool:

Wow! Thank you for this link, Raji Madam!

Anything done with purity and sincerity, Sri Vishnu will accept it!

Sri Vishnu even accepts Bilwa leaves for his archana in some temples, as in Chakrapani temple.

From Wiki on Chakrapani Temple:

The important and peculiar point about this temple is that Vilva (Bilwa) archana which is normally performed in Shiva temples is also performed here for the Perumal (Lord Vishnu).

Jai Sriman Narayana!

Sri Vishnu even accepts Bilwa leaves for his archana in some temples, as in Chakrapani temple.

Jai Sriman Narayana![/FONT][/COLOR]

Thanks JR...next time when the priest tells me anything again I will tell him what you wrote and I might ask him to join TB forum!LOL (after all he is a TB iyengar)

I find it surprising that humans are making rules when it comes to God. Is there any evidence of these rules to be God given? The best we can say that these are traditions.

Jai Sriman Narayana![/FONT][/COLOR]
hi JR,

see here......????????? ????????? ???????? | Dinamani Astrology

[h=1]சிவனுக்கு துளசியால் அர்ச்சனை[/h]

[h=1]சிவனுக்கு துளசியால் அர்ச்சனை[/h]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back