• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

tamil padikkatheriyathavargal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
from what i understood, its not because they cannot read tamil. it's primarily their daily activities - work, business etc... requires them to be fluent in english that it kinda transforms into their first language, so much so they lose the touch in tamil.

thats all :)

I differ a bit here, (hope this new poster is saying it in true spirits)

Jews are really doing well in U.S. They do control the entire English Press of US. And their children are more an american than anyother, unless skin/hair/eyes/accents are scanned.

But still they all make it a point to to teach their own tongues,while politically glorifying English. Inspite of American cultural pressure, still they could insist their own culture in their children, while ensuring the importance of the American culture too..

My Uncles out there across Atlantic, always used to refer Jewish lifestyle, to their children(my cousins), just to highlight the importance of preserving a good culture. I used to take alphabetic Tamil tution for my elder cus, while on her holiday out here in India.

Unfortunately, I also moved to French in high school..But still, I can read amazingly well, and fairly OK to write in Tamil...That doesnt mean,I would stake my claim as a French men and try to date Carla Bruni Sarkozy ..

et Marcel et Denise au petit chaperon rouge(jugglery)..

Au Revoir shri.karthicksrinivasan, and hope its not a la petite mort in this thread..

I welcome you here for an active participation, and exchange of knowledge.

Jokes apart.. I do appreciate your spirit.. I lookforward/request you to share your good thoughts in the relevant thread called "Integration with the rest of the Tamil Tribes".

je vous remercie de m'avoir consacré votre temps précieux pour mes devoirs ..

Nandri. Vanakkam!! Thank you.

Btw, take it easy as a psychedelic post, and Im ok , as long as you maintain the decorum of this forum and follow the basic etiquettes.

Last edited:
I am one of then
I never learn t Tamil in School
I studied in Kendriya Vidyalaya in Chennai thru out but never had the chance to learn Tamil
I studied History and Geo and civics till 8th Std in Hindi and then it was all Eng
Anyway I learn t some reading during my college days in CBE
I am still learning!

tamil padikka teriyathwar

I was also brought up outside TN but we used to ger tamil magazines regularly. I ddeveloped interest in the tamil jokes in the
vikatan and slowly started reading and now I can read tamil articals
without any problem.

Rgds,
Mohan Parasuram

It is better we start internet based Tamil teaching program. Most of the Tamilians migrated outside Tamilnadu have this problem. Now they watch Tamil TV channels and are able to speak and understand. But learning to read and write requires lot of patience and dedication. Those who talk of `Tamizh Engal Uyir' should start an internet based Tamil language learning program

Tamil padikkatheriyathavargal.

Dear Sri Karthik Srinivasan,

I welcome you to this forum which gives us a free platform to air our views. I fully agree with your post on the above subject. Bot the question is why this should happen. We must find the under lying reasons. For instance I live in Karnataka for more than 43 years. We speak our mother tongue at home. All members of my generation know to read and write Tamil. How ever next generation can speak Tamil but cannot read or write the language. Here the first Language is Kannada and the others are English and Hindi. No facility to learn Tamil properly. We were too "busy" to teach them Tamil during our professional days. Now that I find more time after my retirement I started teaching Tamil to my grand daughters on regular basis.

Our visual Tamil media do not help us in this regard. Almost all programs are conducted in Englished-Tamil. Utility of the language is very important to preserve it. English and Hindi are fillingup the vacuum. If you travel across our Country you will see that even road signs are restricted to these languages. Announcemenbts in Telephone, Railway Stations are restricted to Hindi / English and regional language.

I am afraid, at this rate our future generation may not be knowing that they were Tamil speaking people once.

Regards,
Brahmanyan..

Dear Kathik Srinivasan

My case is also just like Mohan Parsuram. We are from Palakkad and though, we spoke Tamil in the house - just like jocularly spoken in some of the Tamil Serial - our studies were in Malayalam and even we used to correspond tamil in malayalam scripts.

My interest to learn Tamil, made me start from the weekly magazine, ie. Anada Vikatan, Kumudham etc. I used to read only the bold magazine name on the cover in the initial stages and thereafter started small bits of jokes and short messages. My inspirational writer was Tamilvaanan of Kalkandu, whose magazine contained only small bit of useful information. I was a regular reader of Kalkandu for many years and I could develop my reading skill of Tamil to a great extent. Today I even can not read Malayalam fast enough like Tamil, due to changes in the scripts.

However writing in Tamil could not be perfected, because of the fact that our exchanges within the family and relatives were always in Malayalam scripts of 60s. Later while in employment usage of Typewriter reduced the writing spirit and essentially indulged in using English for many of our communication. Very few letters were hand written to those who can not read English.

I developed some skill in writing Tamil letters to my wife - who hails from Tanjore area - before our marriage in 1968. You must have understood why:drama::). The drive within me to learn was the main motivation. Therefore Self Motivation is always needed to achieve the goal.

I am writing all this to press my point that teaching tamil can only be preached, because the past or present generation, for that matter even the future, will not like to be taught, but would like to learn by themselves what they want. Only self motivation can help in learning, for which we have to find ways of placing Tamil Language and its culture in a High Pedastal:director:. One should admire at it and crave to learn more and more about.

With best wishes,

NRV

Dear Kathik Srinivasan

My case is also just like Mohan Parsuram. We are from Palakkad and though, we spoke Tamil in the house - just like jocularly spoken in some of the Tamil Serial - our studies were in Malayalam and even we used to correspond tamil in malayalam scripts.

My interest to learn Tamil, made me start from the weekly magazine, ie. Anada Vikatan, Kumudham etc. I used to read only the bold magazine name on the cover in the initial stages and thereafter started small bits of jokes and short messages. My inspirational writer was Tamilvaanan of Kalkandu, whose magazine contained only small bit of useful information. I was a regular reader of Kalkandu for many years and I could develop my reading skill of Tamil to a great extent. Today I even can not read Malayalam fast enough like Tamil, due to changes in the scripts.

However writing in Tamil could not be perfected, because of the fact that our exchanges within the family and relatives were always in Malayalam scripts of 60s. Later while in employment usage of Typewriter reduced the writing spirit and essentially indulged in using English for many of our communication. Very few letters were hand written to those who can not read English.

I developed some skill in writing Tamil letters to my wife - who hails from Tanjore area - before our marriage in 1968. You must have understood why:drama::). The drive within me to learn was the main motivation. Therefore Self Motivation is always needed to achieve the goal.

I am writing all this to press my point that teaching tamil can only be preached, because the past or present generation, for that matter even the future, will not like to be taught, but would like to learn by themselves what they want. Only self motivation can help in learning, for which we have to find ways of placing Tamil Language and its culture in a High Pedastal:director:. One should admire at it and crave to learn more and more about.

With best wishes,

NRV
Shri NRV,
i agree with u...you are right..same like u...i born in tamil nadu
and brought up in palakkad with tamilayalam...means tamil
with malayalam..inside home tamil outside malayalam..then
brought up in andhra...with tamil with telugu ...then moved
to karnataka..here tamilkannada....married in delhi..here
madrasi tamil..means tamil with hindi...stayed in north
for 17 years...finally ended up in USA...desi tamil...
means tamil indian american...i read and write in tamil
becoz of kumudam/vikatan...here in USA i read dinamani
online edition in tamil daily....i visit kumudam online too..
here our generations are somewhat ok...here in USA..
we talk in tamil in home.. its compulsory..but my
children give reply in english......they understand tamil
very much...thanks to internet facilities...even we
started tamil classes in our Balavihar programme..
responses are very little...many ABCD parents never
take interest in our sweet tamil..its sad story..its
reality....IDEALISM NEVER SUPPORT REALISM...

REGARDS

Dear Shri Karthicksrinivasan,

Thanks for your quick response. My son is presently working in LA and stays with his family. His daughter & Son are studying there and I always insist him to see that they converse only in Tamil at Home. Daughter is being taught Bharatha Natyam, thanks to the spread of culture gradually in United States. We can have exchanges whenever you feel free to write.

Regards,

NRV

Hey looks like there are a lot of guys like me who dont know to read and write Tamil
but unfortunately unlike the other ppl above
Like I said in my previous post I was brought up in Madras I speak very good Madras Tamil and college in CBE and I speak very good Gounder Tamil( I like that!) but I cant read and write Tamil as good I as I would wish.
I am still learning!

Last edited:
Only self motivation can help in learning, for which we have to find ways of placing Tamil Language and its culture in a High Pedastal:director:. One should admire at it and crave to learn more and more about.

With best wishes,

NRV

Shri. Enaarvee, finally, you said the right point.. Put TAMIL in high pedastal..

Cheers

tamil padikkatheriyathavargal

when we call ourselves, Tamil Brahmins, we conduct our public affairs in English. Is it not a form of hypocrisy we are accused of? இனி, தமிழிலேயே பேசலாமே
விக்ரம

when we call ourselves, Tamil Brahmins, we conduct our public affairs in English. Is it not a form of hypocrisy we are accused of? இனி, தமிழிலேயே பேசலாமே
விக்ரம
Oh no
I am not a hypocrite here
I am in fact truthfully stating my limitations
but the good news is I am leanring

dear sir,
i too learnt tamil ,to understand the "mugamoodi" (phantom comic)cartoon appearing in kumudam in 70s. reading standard magazines like Amudasurabhi kalaimagal etc helped too.
please do not emulate the tamil diction being shown on tamil Tv channels. fro eg 'oruthanga' for oruvar, valaipalam for vazahi pazham and finally "tamil" for tamiz.
finally as "cho" had stencilled on his standard herald car -tamilum valga -en karum
regards
eswaran

விக்ரம

* personal view*
possibly due to:-
1. the site caters to a specific segment of Brahmins - people who are from tamilnadu or who speak tamil.
2. Ease of conversation - there are members who have/are living outside tamilnadu where tamil is only spoken at home. Maybe they know how to read/speak tamil and not write one :)
3. Not to drive away the majority of internet users who are english speaking.

but then again, there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from posting/answering/writing in tamil :)

as a matter of fact, i am finding out a way through which things could be translated into tamil.

Dear Sri vikrama Ji,

There are quite a few of our members who do not understand the written Tamil and probably a smaller group of people who do not understand the whole language.

Fortunately I am not one of them - even though I have been living in the USA for the past 39 years and never used it at home (for various reasons), I can converse well in Tamil, read it well and write it with some difficulty.

But for others I have mentioned above, in the spirit of teaching them Tamil, it would be fantastic to provide the translation in English along side that will go a long way in making it easy to learn the language.

Regards,
KRS

Tamil padikka theriyadavargal.

Tamil Brahmins is a forum for people whose mother tongue is Tamil and identify themselves as Tamil Brahmins. This does not mean that its affairs should be conducted in Tamil. There are other forums available in the web which conduct their discussions in Tamil.

For me, language is a medium of communication and used for expressing our thoughts, nothing more. Since I am born in the Brahmin community that used Tamil as their language I identify myself as a Tamil Brahmin. Naturally I love my mother tongue. But I have no reservation towards learning other languages.

Since I had my schooling and education in the British India I had to study English and my parents selected Samskrit for my second language to help me understanding our scriptures. I studied all other subjects in Tamil only. Now I am in Karnataka for more than 43 years, and naturally I had to learn Kannada for my communication outside.

As for using Tamil in our day to day communications, I do welcome the idea. But we cannot stop the changes that had taken place in the society and turn the clock backwards, Due to historical compulsions usage of our Languages have changed. We do not speak the same Tamil that our people were speaking two hundred years ago. There is a free mix of other languages both Indian and foreign, in our day to day communication. We can understand this when we see the programs in Tamil visual media. Further during the past two decades, our community has seen a huge migration of younger generation to foreign Countries due to political and economic compulsions, which has changed their life style completely. We should feel happy to note that the core values of our culture and language are still kept in tact by these new generation of youngsters.

Thus, let us accept the changes and proceed with the times.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

easy way to type in Tamil

Here is an easy way to type in Tamil. No need to download any software. No special keyboard.
Many would have known it. For those who are not aware of it, I am giving it here.
Go to your gmail.
click compose.
Between the address box and the text box, you will find, in the left extreme a Tamil அ or in some other language.
click it.
A list of five languages will open.
click Tamil.
Go to the textbox.
Type in transliteration style.
For example, if you want to type காலம், type k a l a m.
press space bar.
you will find the word changed into கலம்.
click on the word.
An options menu will open.
All possible transliterations will appear, such as, காலம், காளம், களம், கலாம் etc.
select the proper word.
That is all. Cut and paste where required.
vikrama

Last edited:
Dear Sri Vikrama,

I tried but I couldn't succeed. I couldn't find the tamil letter between address and text space. I used Google chrome browser. Should I have to use IE or Mozilla firefox browser. Please help me

தமிழ் என்பதையும் ஆங்கிலத்தில் தான் படிக்கவேண்டியுள்ளது .
தமிழ் தெரியவில்லை என்று குறைபடுவதும் ஆங்கிலத்தில் .
தமிழ் மெல்ல இனி சாகும் ?

Most of the people of our community in Tamilnadu can read, write and speak tamil. My wife is from Delhi and since she studied in Tamil school, she can do all the three. However outside Tamilnadu & Pondicherry people don't have the opportunity to read and write in Tamil because they don't have the opportunity to study in the school. People in Singapore have the opportunity since Tamil is an official language there where as tamil community in nearby Kerala & Bangalore don't have facility.

Tamil is not just restricted to India alone. Singapore, Malaysia, Srilanka etc have substantial tamil population and are being taught Tamil as a primary language. TV networks are playing a wonderful job in speading Tamil across globe.

Tamil families staying outside India should teach Tamil Language to their children so that they can read and write also.

நன்றி அகுரா அவர்களே.
இந்த இணய தளத்தை இனி நான் பயண்படுத்தி கொள்கிறேன்

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back