• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

tamasic, rajasic , sattvic, nirguna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misplaced friendship is adharma.
If your friend is drunk and you let him drive drunk without stopping him, you are not a good friend. Similarly Karna should have served notice to his friend Duryodhana. Duryodhana would not have agreed, then it gives Karna a chance to walk away.

Dear Prasad,

You cannot do that. Would you do that in a marriage? Once you are committed you cannot walk away just because your friend is refusing your advice. Karna in fact would certainly have been aware that he is on the side of adharma. But I think he had his priorities right and did first things first.

Dear Prasad,

Is not ego the foremost feature of a Kshatriya? So a natural urge to display one's supremacy will be there. So one cannot fault that urge. He was only playing it fair and win only in a fair manner and not try to win by, say subversions. So what is wrong with that?
Assume what would have happened if Karna refused alliance with Duryodhana. He would have been a non entity throughout his life which his self wouldn't have accepted. The funda is first take care of self, otherwise you cannot take care of others. So karna had severe constraints working on him and as I said he did his best to be fair given such constraints.

I am not going to argue the merits of Karna's decision based on today's values. Taking care of your ego, is not good dharma.

"The awakened sages call a person wise when all his undertakings are free from anxiety about results.

I am not going to argue the merits of Karna's decision based on today's values. Taking care of your ego, is not good dharma.

"The awakened sages call a person wise when all his undertakings are free from anxiety about results.

Well Prasad, what I said was Karna wanted to satisfy his natural quench for supremacy, provided it is done within the rules of the game, I see no wrong in it. Ego or anything is wrong IMO when it hurts others and not otherwise. Only if you are at the level of a brahma rishi you can give up ego completely. So one needs to refrain from using absolute yardsticks in other cases.

Well Prasad, what I said was Karna wanted to satisfy his natural quench for supremacy, provided it is done within the rules of the game, I see no wrong in it. Ego or anything is wrong IMO when it hurts others and not otherwise. Only if you are at the level of a brahma rishi you can give up ego completely. So one needs to refrain from using absolute yardsticks in other cases.

I take back my word and argue against Karna's decision.
Karna -The Unfortunate ,jealous and egoistic Warrior « Chiraan's Astrology
Karna serves as an excellent example of a gifted, generous, righteous and brave individual who was still doomed because of his loyalty towards Duryodhana. Karna had the five perfect qualities of a husband for Draupadi, but being with Duryodhana nullified these and allowed Arjuna to take her instead. Karna's affection for Duryodhana led him, albeit unwillingly, to assist his dear friend in all his actions against the Pandavas. Karna was aware of Duryodhana's malicious plans against the Pandavas. Karna was also aware of his own imminent downfall on assisting the evil against the good. He is criticised for insulting Draupadi in the Hastinapur court and for supporting Duryodhan in his act of dishonoring her. His role in the killing of an unarmed and outnumbered Abhimanyu can be interpreted as an act that more directly damaged his image as an honorable warrior and doomed him to a similar fate. According to some interpretations of the Mahābhārata, it was this deed that cemented Karna's status as a warrior on the wrong side of the war and sealed his fate, that of being killed by Arjuna in the same way, being unarmed, chariotless and with his back turned to Arjuna.

Karna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dr.Mailavarapu Sreenivasa explains that education is just not enough for a person, Apart from education one needs good manners and good thinking.He takes the example of karna.Though karna is extremely talented, he is a vicious person because of which he is one of Dusta Chatustayam.

In the end of war when Arjuna was asked by Lord Krishna to kill Karna, Karna reminded Arjuna of righteousness. At that time Lord Krishna reminded Karna of all evil deeds done by him. Karna had no answer to that. He could only bow down his head in shame. Karna died a death of shame and defeat. A great warrior lost his wisdom and supported evil because he had promised that to Duryodhana. Karna should have followed the path of righteousness and virtue. Sadly he followed the opposite path.

Article Source: Mahabharata - Why Karna Supported Evil?

I guess we are digressing from the main thread. LOL

Dear Prasad,

The key thing here is being committed. Mandodari is the wife of the evil Ravana. But she is extolled as panchakanya, one of the five reverred women. Inspite of the wicked deeds of Ravana, she could not leave him because of her commitment to marriage. Similarly Karna got into a commitment which he could not forsake.Just as there are commitments of a wife towards husband and vice versa, a son towards his father, that of a friend exists. In fact in the case of Karna, it was even an obligation towards Duryodhana for giving him a new identity.

I think all of us are forgetting a very important fact about Karna.
Karna is the son of Surya the Sun God and hence displaying charitable attributes and most important Krtajna (Gratefulness).

The sun is described as Krtajna that is ever so grateful that even a mere worship of him is sufficient to ward off ill effects done by the worshiper.

So Karna was Krtajna incarnate and he stood by Duryodhana till the end cos he was ever grateful to Duryodhana for making him King of Anga at the time when Karna was being insulted by others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back