• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

swara devatha yagnam

Status
Not open for further replies.
A swara devatha yagnam was performed in West Mambalam, this morning. At the rear end of the stage, seven kumbhams were kept decorated wherein the swara devathas were invoked. A vadhyar was performing Archanai to them. In the middle of the stage was a yaga kundam around which four vadhyars were performing homam for the swara devathas. In the front, A group of musicians, vocal and instrumental, led by Sri Neyveli Santhanagopalan, an embodiment of orthodoxy with panchakachcham, uthariyam and pavithram on his finger, was singing pancharatna keethanais. This, it is said, is the first of its kind. One can view this in Sankara TV and also in VHP internet TV. (Time not known)

I am not competent to comment on a function conceived by great musicians and other great minds. But as one, having as mentor the great Bharathi, I can not help throwing in my two cents.

Already carnatic music is considered the exclusive domain of Brahmins. Most of the performers and the audience are Brahmins. The present yagnam brahminised it more. If one really wants carnatic music to prosper, one should make it inclusive and bring the non-brahmins into its fold. There are many poor non-brahmin boys and girls having musical talents. If the amount spent today had been used to groom a few of such young people under great musicians the cause of carnatic music would have been better served.

Swara devathas would have been more pleased had the musicians sung the pancharatna keerthanais in unison and in perfect alignment with sruthi and had the vadhyars switched off their cellphones while performing the worship.

A swara devatha yagnam was performed in West Mambalam, this morning. At the rear end of the stage, seven kumbhams were kept decorated wherein the swara devathas were invoked. A vadhyar was performing Archanai to them. In the middle of the stage was a yaga kundam around which four vadhyars were performing homam for the swara devathas. In the front, A group of musicians, vocal and instrumental, led by Sri Neyveli Santhanagopalan, an embodiment of orthodoxy with panchakachcham, uthariyam and pavithram on his finger, was singing pancharatna keethanais. This, it is said, is the first of its kind. One can view this in Sankara TV and also in VHP internet TV. (Time not known)

I am not competent to comment on a function conceived by great musicians and other great minds. But as one, having as mentor the great Bharathi, I can not help throwing in my two cents.

Already carnatic music is considered the exclusive domain of Brahmins. Most of the performers and the audience are Brahmins. The present yagnam brahminised it more. If one really wants carnatic music to prosper, one should make it inclusive and bring the non-brahmins into its fold. There are many poor non-brahmin boys and girls having musical talents. If the amount spent today had been used to groom a few of such young people under great musicians the cause of carnatic music would have been better served.

Swara devathas would have been more pleased had the musicians sung the pancharatna keerthanais in unison and in perfect alignment with sruthi and had the vadhyars switched off their cellphones while performing the worship.
Sri Vikrama, Absolutely right. I endorse your views. The brahminism should aim at receiving respect and goodwill from other sects. This can be achieved by bringing in, inviting and encompassing others into it by way of musics,other fine arts, learning of vedas , community Prayers etc etc. We also will feel happy,definitely. Vadyars performing various vaidheega karyams,while conversing in their mobiles, is an issue. They even go to the extent of saying "not possible" at the request to do so by Grahastha. Only they should realise themsleves and make a breakthrough.
All the above are my purely my personal feelers.

This was done for the cause of Carnatic Music and a prelude to the december season.

Here is the appeal letter from Neyveli Santhanagopalan
Dear sri/smt,
Namasthe.

An yagna -SAPTHASWARA DEVATHA HOMAM is being organised for the benefit of all musicians,teachers,scholars,rasikas,organisers and media people at Chennai.
Date:21st November,2009
Venue:Garodia Hindu vidyalaya grounds,West Mambalam.
Facilitators:Rasika Fine Arts and Sri Krishna Sweets.
Please find the Pathrika attached and kindly make it possible to attend and receive the anugraham of Sapthaswara Devathas.

Thanking you,
Neyveli Santhanagopalan
in the service of our Divine Music.

I dont think we should bring in any casteism in this.Thyagaraja aradhana also done with religious flavour and attended by all.after all Music is not the prerogative of a particular sect

Last edited:
Namaskarams,

I fully agree with Mr Sabesan Narayanaswami. During thyagabrahmma Aradhanai at thiruvaiyaru, all the artists will sing the pancharatna kritis without any caste barrior. The yagna is also a welfare measure to all the muscians without any caste barrior. The invitation is for all. No specific caste has been invited to the yagnam. Pl donot colour it with caste sentiments. Music is for all and there is no place for castisicm.

My pranams to Sri. Vikrama, Sri. drsundaram , Sri, Sabesan Narayanaswami & Sri. B v Raaghavan who have contributed to this thread voicing balanced and exalted views.

Sirs,

There is one vocal artist who took saranagathy under Sri Krishna's lotus feet. This gentleman is not allowed to perform in Thiyagarja Utsavam. Why sir, why?

One of the Pancharatna kriti by that artist (Sadhim chane):-
YouTube - Sadhim Chane - Sopanam (1994) KJ Yesudas, TN Seshagoapalan, KS Chithra, Manju

Here is Ksheera sagara sayana by the same artist :-
YouTube - Ksheera Saagara Sayana- Classical Music by Yesudas

Last edited:

These are all easily excusable compared to the antics of photographers and videographers in many events and functions including marriages .It has become a rule rather than exception for the organizers(performers) and the audience and participants to indulge in their own activities and ignore the function which brought them there.

[FONT=&quot]We need not blame the vadhyars or musicians alone. The singing of pancharatna kritis is aimed to be a chorus in practice and not a harmony. It is enjoyable that way also.
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
My pranams to Sri. Vikrama, Sri. drsundaram , Sri, Sabesan Narayanaswami & Sri. B v Raaghavan who have contributed to this thread voicing balanced and exalted views.

Sirs,

There is one vocal artist who took saranagathy under Sri Krishna's lotus feet. This gentleman is not allowed to perform in Thiyagarja Utsavam. Why sir, why?

One of the Pancharatna kriti by that artist (Sadhim chane):-
YouTube - Sadhim Chane - Sopanam (1994) KJ Yesudas, TN Seshagoapalan, KS Chithra, Manju

Here is Ksheera sagara sayana by the same artist :-
YouTube - Ksheera Saagara Sayana- Classical Music by Yesudas

I do not know the antecedents of the incident referred here,In my opinion that has to be despised with contempt.To repeat my earlier observation Music is not the prerogative of any sect or faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back