• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

swapnavasavadatta-of-bhasa-sanskrit-text-with-english-translation-notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site comes with a free download of Swapnavasavadatta of Bhasa in Sanskrit with English translation in Pdf format.
The file is too large to upload here so I am just pasting the link.

Swapnavasavadatta of Bhasa – Skt text with English translation & notes « Sanskrit Ebooks
hi renu
swpnavasavadatta is a master piece of bhasa.....i remember this sloka.....

UPAMA KALIDASASAYA BHARAVER ARTHA GAURAVAM

DANDINAH PADALALITYAM MAGHE SANTHI TRAYO GUNAH......

VASAVATTA IS A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN....ITS BEAUTIFUL LOVE STORY.....

regards
tbs

hi renu
swpnavasavadatta is a master piece of bhasa.....i remember this sloka.....

UPAMA KALIDASASAYA BHARAVER ARTHA GAURAVAM

DANDINAH PADALALITYAM MAGHE SANTHI TRAYO GUNAH......

VASAVATTA IS A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN....ITS BEAUTIFUL LOVE STORY.....

regards
tbs

Just started reading it as part of my requirement.

hi
i think vasavadatta a prosititute....love with brahmin..i forgot his name.....

regards
tbs

Hey TBS..thats a different story Ok.About the courtesan and a married man.(I am not too sure if he is a Brahmin.)Where she places all her gold in a clay cart of his son.
That story is called the Little Clay Cart and that was written by Shudraka.
I have not read that fully yet just some of it.

This story Swapnavasavadatta is different.Vasavadatta is a Queen.
I will paste the synopsis here.

The plot of Svapnavasavadatta is drawn from the romantic narratives about the Vatsa king Udayana and Vasavadatta, the daughter of Pradyota, the ruler of Avanti, which were current in the poet’s time and which seem to have captivated popular imagination. The main theme of the drama is the sorrow of Udayana for his queen Vasavadatta, believed by him to have perished in a conflagration, which was actually a rumour spread by Yaugandharayana, a minister of Udayana to compel his king to marry Padmavati, the daughater of the king of Magadha. It forms, in context, a continuation of his another drama, Pratijnayaugandharayana.
Svapnavasavadatta is based on the brihatakatha of gunadhya and is referred to in the mahabharata. Bhasa stands preeminent for the boldness of his conception, insight into character and for his homely sparking style. He has written about thirteen plays of which the svapna-vasavadatta is reckoned as a masterpiece both in ancient indian and modern criticism.

Last edited:
Ok TBS that story of Courtesan and a man is called Mrcchakatikam(Clay Cart) and main characters are Carudatta and Vasantasena.

Ok TBS that story of Courtesan and a man is called Mrcchakatikam(Clay Cart) and main characters are Carudatta and Vasantasena.
hi renu
sorry...my mistake ..u r rite....it is mirchagatika of shudraka....carudatta and vasantha sena....i agreed with u...

but vasavadatta and king udayana story.....

regards
tbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back