• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

sthri shakthi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nachi naga

MUMBAI, INDIA, August 18, 2011 (Times of India): For the first time, 280 girls from will serve as purohits (priests who invoke blessings for families and who do not work for a temple) in the upcoming 10-day Ganesh Chaturthi festival. The girls, along with 70 boys, are being groomed in performing puja to install the murti of Lord Ganesha in homes across Mumbai Central.

In preparation for the big day, the 350 children from Abhyudaya Nagar, Kalachowkie have been practicing the mantras and rituals in a cramped schoolroom for the past month. A professional purohit has been engaged to teach them the right intonation and the correct way to perform the rituals. The children have been attending coaching classes on the premises for their regular school subjects.

The idea was the brainchild of Naresh Dahibawkar, president of the Brihanmumbai Ganesh Utsav Samanvay Samiti (BGUSS). "There are only 3,000 purohits across the city. This year, we expect over 220,000 Ganesha murtis to be installed in houses and sarvajanik mandals in Mumbai. People often have to wait for a purohit."

"Since we run a coaching class and knew of children who were learning Sanskrit, we asked them if they would be interested. We received an overwhelming response from girls," said Kailash Kadam, who heads the training program. "Right now, we have concentrated on teaching them mantras and rituals. We will be teaching them the meaning of the mantras and what each action and item used in the puja signifies." :high5:

nachi,

high time we did this.

maybe tambrams would follow suit. our girls appear to do better than our boys in all the other fields. why not purohitham too? :)

too bad, the marathis did not open up the field to other castes. still backward in my opinion. :(

I too agree.

Women will perform poojas better than men.

If they are educated in Veda Padasala properly,no harm in welcoming them.

Moreover there is scarcity of Vadhyars everywhere.

Wonderful step towards inclusiveness. Hearty congrats and Best wishes to Naresh Dahibawkar, the purohits who are training the children and to the children themselves... Good one NN -- thanks for posting this.

Wonderful step towards inclusiveness. Hearty congrats and Best wishes to Naresh Dahibawkar, the purohits who are training the children and to the children themselves... Good one NN -- thanks for posting this.

In Pune women purohits have been doing various poojas and havans and other rites for some years now. I remember to have read about this during the 1980's. They do not observe the "asuddha" during menses and continue to perform their duty/service so that the concerned households are not inconvenienced. That is a point on which our members may have some discord, I think.

I am not aware whether this movement is still alive or has died out.

To my opinion Ladies will have Self Consciousness more than Men.

I hope everybody will accept.

I have seen many Vadhyars used to Smoke Before or after a Function.

Please Excuse me and I am Very Sorry to say but it is True.

Even among Gurukkal also I have seen so many of them smoke and even some of them Drink.

At least Some Vadhyars will eat Beatal Leaves ( Vethilai ) and Tobacco Chewing as a regular Habit.

imho women universally are more pious and religious.without women faith will not exist.shakthi illai shivam illai :)

In Pune women purohits have been doing various poojas and havans and other rites for some years now. I remember to have read about this during the 1980's. They do not observe the "asuddha" during menses and continue to perform their duty/service so that the concerned households are not inconvenienced. That is a point on which our members may have some discord, I think.

I am not aware whether this movement is still alive or has died out.

i think menses is a natural process for women.how on earth it can ashuddham is beyond my scientific/religious thinkng? as if men men never have nocturnal emissions !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back