• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

statistics one poor brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phonetics has little to do with political correctness ...

I did not realize that democracy has gained S-O much currency that questions like "zha" or "lla" are now decided on the basis of majority /minority!
Tamil has two distinct symbols "zha" and "lla" - and they are pronounced distinctly.
This problem in not unique to TN. In Northern India many cannot say "ask" - they say "aks"; and "is-school" not "school".
Furthermore, it is a sociological fact that all 'elites' are characterized by distinctive elocution and diction (and since they are the 'elite' the 97.5% tries to mimic their speech - and not the other way around!)
Anyway, I am of the Galilean school of thought: Even when Rome, the church and the entire establishment believed that the sun goes around the earth - Galileo simply said "It still moves!" - i.e. the earth around the sun. It is called "the courage of one's convictions". If that is politically incorrect - so be it!
Maa'm, we live in an era of political correctness.

How could you presume that 'vazhapazham' is pronounced "correctly" by 2.5 % and "wrongly" by 97.5 %?

This brings us back to the issue of importance of neutral standpoint, which I proposed in a pervious posting and to which you violently reacted.

NB:- To set the record straight, I am not denying your conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back