• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

(st) thyagaraja's cow

Status
Not open for further replies.
These days the vAzhaiththaNDu sari is becoming popular. Maybe tomorrow it will be the nArmaDI and it will no longer be a stigma when our avidhavA women seek to wear it.

How many are willing to give up wearing Silk Sarees?

When I was in India last week I had a tough time telling the saree shop guy that I dont want to buy Silk Sarees cos he was insisting that I check out some Mysore Silk sarees and I kept declining and asked him to show me Chiffon only.

Silk - The Vegan Society

perhaps a highly visible statutory message in the silk counter and a small sticker next to the price tag in the silk saree might help buyers in selecting other options:

"One million silk worms were killed for this saree."

Of course, men can take the lead by refusing to buy silk shirts, kurtas and dotis.

How many are willing to give up wearing Silk Sarees?

Silk sarees are status symbols for women folk especially in SingArach Chennai. I have noticed many mamis who

look down upon persons who wear poly silk sarees, which are as beautiful as the silk ones. There are sarees made

of the silk produced after the silk worms leave the cocoons but the knots connecting the short threads will make it

rough. The only consolation is that the silk sarees sold are NOT PURE SILK!! Only about half of it is silk and the rest is

polysilk. So, they don't kill so many worms as we imagine. When a double colored saree is washed, only one shade

will run color, showing that it is the pure silk.

I am also waiting for the dawn of the day, when silk will be refused by folks! But what will be the plight of silk industry?

My two cents! :typing:

raji,

if i remember my religious fundas right, is not silk considered 'madi'.

i vaguely remember my mom wearing madisar silk podavais and making the comment on some occassion. must have had to do with some ritual impurity, but mom explained away with the reason, that silk was madi.

i am afraid i cannot recollect more than that.. soooo long ago.

raji,

if i remember my religious fundas right, is not silk considered 'madi'.

i vaguely remember my mom wearing madisar silk podavais and making the comment on some occassion. must have had to do with some ritual impurity, but mom explained away with the reason, that silk was madi.

i am afraid i cannot recollect more than that.. soooo long ago.
It is dear Kunjuppu, it is considered madi by our ahimsawadis here and elsewhere but only in TN/Pattar community

.... if i remember my religious fundas right, is not silk considered 'madi'....

The answer is yes and no!! Wonder how? Till the silk is KODI, that is, not yet washed, it is madi. Once it is washed, it

will be madi, only if it is washed and dried in a cloth line, which no one can touch! I have seen many mamis keeping

their nine yards 'koorai pudavai' without washing, to retain the madi of that saree, for decades together!
(I wonder how they are able to do this, having sweat so much in that long and winding saree) :washing:

The answer is yes and no!! Wonder how? Till the silk is KODI, that is, not yet washed, it is madi. Once it is washed, it

will be madi, only if it is washed and dried in a cloth line, which no one can touch! I have seen many mamis keeping

their nine yards 'koorai pudavai' without washing, to retain the madi of that saree, for decades together!
(I wonder how they are able to do this, having sweat so much in that long and winding saree) :washing:

i think many folks in my family, over the years, conveniently forgot the 'washing or non washing' rqmts for madi designation. :)

dilution of arcane 'values', that has been the inheritance bestowed on the present generation by the previous 3 generations, with the onset of 20th century when modern ambitions came to overrule ancient practises, whether those were right or wrong.

cash, convenience and comfort replaced RULES, REGIMENTATION AND RESTRICTION :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back