• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Smartha Sampradaya....A Few Insights....

Status
Not open for further replies.
NAMO NAMAHA.dears NAMASKARS.in "PANCHAYUDHANA" puja the sacred stones obtained from specific rivers representing SHIVA,VISHNU,GANAPATHY,SAKTHIand AADHITHYA(SUN) are worshiped by placing any one of their ista deity in the the center.by placing the deity of SIVA it becomes SIVA PANCHAYUDHANA and by worshiping VISHNU at the center with other deity around the salagram it may be VISHNU PANCHAYUDHANA puja and so on.2)the author of BAJAGOVINDHAM is "SRI AADHI SHANKARA " himself.with NAMASKARS .v.lalithakumar."SHIVO YO NAMA ROOPAPYAM DEVI YAA SARVAMANGALA, NAMA SAMASTHA PUMSAM SARVA THICK JAYA MANGALAM"

NAMO NAMAHA.dears SANDHI means the time at which two periods meet together. in the early morning when sun raises both night and morning join together.at the the mid day both morning and afternoon combines together.simillarly at the sun set day and night meet each other.at all the three times the "GAYATHRI" devi is worshiped and prayed. .(SANDHYA,SAVITHRI,GAYATHTRI and SARASWATHI-are the representations of GYATHRI and they are represent the four directions too.)the act is sandhi .vandhanam means vanangudhal or namaskariththal."MAADHYAANEEGAM" is the special name for the sandhyavandhanam performed during the mid day .with namaskars.v.lalithakumar."SIVO YO NAAMA ROOPAPYAM DEVI YA SARVA MANGALA.NAMA SAMASTHA PUMSAM SARVA THICK JAYA MANGALAM."

Pranams suryakasyapa sir. Everyone are halfbaked only. Even, the potter GHOR KUMBA said Namdev as Halfbaked. Am then quarter baked. Anyhow I will share my thoughts regarding this issue.

Sandhya is actually twilight period. As you said its joining (Sandhi- words joining in sanskrit). Here two periods are joining. (Night-day, Day-noon, noon-night).

If we wish to do sandhi, it is here (Kaanamal Konamal kandu kodu). It means provide arghya to surya before he rise (Arunodaya punya kala), when he stands straight (Mid noon), and before he vanishes (Evenings). Sandhi is the doing , actually a wordchange (Maruo- in tamil) of sandhya vandanam. We have to think soorya and, savitri, gayathri and saraswathi who are the three wives of Brahma. Also, it is customary to think these devis as brahmi, vaishnavi and maheswari during sandhya period.

Surya kasyapa sir, Iam not saying that rishis developed sandhi for chanting namas. I said this statement, "in relation to kesava, narayana, madava govinda... alone". for that alone, they too will say siva siva siva. Otherwise all the mantras are very powerful. Apart from chanting divine namas there are so many things.

1. Doing prayaschitha for yesterday sin (manasa, vacha, hasthapyam, pathpyam utharena chichnam) all these kinds of sins are washed off by doing sandhi.

2. We get cleanliness and holiness (Abohishta mayo puva... Thathikravinno agarishma...)

3. Doing our rights to pacify devathas and saving soorya from "Mandehal- a kind of demons" (Our arghya theertha will turn on vajrayutha and kill the demons who are near the chariot of soorya) by providing arghya

4. Then Sandhi (Anganysya, karanysa, dhyna, japa, raksha)- This are all small rehearsals for greater penance.

5. Then upastana and dikvandana. Here, our sandhi teaches us to pray to all the directions saying the glory and importance of each direction. We prostrate to sages who conquer lust and anger. (indierctly it urges us too live like that. So only no names were mentioned there). Yama, narmada, hasthika, jaratkaru, sarpadevatha, chitragupta, Viswaroopa are all worshipped there. Finally, we prostrate in front of soorya.

6. Then a papa prayaschitam to narayana (kayena vacha...)

There are these many things sir. So, Iam saying that simple nama chanting alone. Whenever we do nyasa on body parts, we says kesava...dhamodhara, instead they will say siva siva... Thats all. So many things said there are very common. Moreover sandhi is common for all. It is our duty, not to pacify anyone. NITHYAKARMA. You would not get anything by simply doing duties. But, you will become responsible, active, sharp, bright and so on...

Hats off to SANDHI

"Sandhi seiyada moodargal mannil mandhi (a kind of monkey) kku samamame"

Pranams

Last edited:
Tks Durgadasan,
Tks lalitkumar

This kind of churning brings the correct knowledge.
Tks,Greetings

Namassadhasae.

Dear Durga,

Sandhyavandanam procedures explanation is extensive and excellent. Thanks. In Smartha Sandhyavandanam, last ritual in sandhi & mAdhyanhikam is one upasthana manthram - commencing 'Adhyano devasavitha:....... YATH BHADHRAM THANMA AASUVA'.
Seems you might have missed it.

'Ethu bhadhramo adhai enakku kodu' is the meaning of the last prarthanai. To whom? Gayathri matha. suryan and bahmam. Bhadram means safe. secure and what we deserve according to karma and what really is beneficial to the individual. We do not know which is really good or which is really bad. Our desires. ambitions etc. need not necessarily be bhadhram or good to us in the long run. In our real life. there is no need for explanation of this statement and we see many. The prarthanai is not what is sweet. sowkyam. wish. desire or anything of that sort. but only what is bhadhram to me. This is taught as one of the first lessons to a brahmachari. This 'yadh bhadhram thanma asuva" is micro level prarthanai and 'sarvae jana: sukino bhavanthyuu' is macro level prarthanai. In Chamakam. the prarthanai 'bhadranja mae' is placed in an important place. in the anuvagam commencing 'Sancha mae'. After chanting of Sri Rudram, if all anuvagAs of chamakam cannot be chanted . only chanting this anuvagA is stipulated.

Another important feature in Sandhyavandhanam is this is like paying of tax. Paying of tax is levied on everyone. There will not be any award for tax payers. But, it is punishable according to law and we have to pay tax. Only 'Chitha sudhi' is the palan prescribed for doing sandhya vandhanam and obviously'அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள்
பெருமாளே! - திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ் ' for any vaidheega karma, this is a pre-requisite.

'அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே! - திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ் '

I may not be corredt. But only Gayatri Japam is mentioned clearly in the Grihya Sutras.One must say his prayer to SAVITR. SAVITR refers to thesu and in the devata portion of the Gayatri Nyasa we say Savitra Devata,
The earlier part like argyapradanam etc came only later.
These practices are applicable to all Brahmins and not only to Smarthas.
Incidentall when we went to Dwaraka on a pilgrimage and wanted to do tarpanam the priests asked if I was a Smarta or Vaishnava .When I said Smarta one of the priests came.He was a local brahmin and he said he was specially catring to Madrasi Brahmins many of whom call themselves Smartas whcih is not known in that part of the country

Respected and beloved soundarrajan uncle,

I clearly mentioned upastana (in #5). Everything is essential. I just mingled upastana and dikavandana. Actually, it was to just clarify suryakasyapa sirs's query about siva siva instead of kesava narayana. Anyhow, very much thanks for your clear descriptive translation of the upasthana mantra.

Yes. Sandhyavanadana is common for all. Atleast we people has to follow it in these days. As soundarrajan uncle said, it is the tax which should be paid by us everyday to the supreme god.

Pranams

Chamakam Tamil script

Dear Swaminathasharmaji, Thanks for your immediate response. I wish to know does any CD or cassette available that may teach this chamakam, how to recite properly?

Baba

Dear Swaminathasharmaji, Thanks for your immediate response. I wish to know does any CD or cassette available that may teach this chamakam, how to recite properly?

Baba

Sri Baba,
Hope this may help. By the way, there are plenty CDs available too.

To listen to Rudram.

Raaga - Rudram - Rudram Chamakam Sukthas. Download Sanskrit MP3 songs

To listen to Chamakam (with Telengu introduction (!).

http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=84895&mode=100&rand=0.33873376143901756

To learn to recite ( I think, Chamakam only. I didn't hear all of it).
Raaga - Rudram 1 - Learn To Chant Rudram. Download Sanskrit MP3 songs

Last edited:
What are all the rules and regulations (dos and donts) of the smart(ha) sampradaya rules and regulations???

How is it getting differed from other sampradyas?? If so what are all the other samprdayas competing with this?? How rich are they???

Pranams

Smartha sampradaya

Actually smartha sampradaya or for that matter any sampradaya should emanate from smrithis.For the Krishna yajurvedis,most of them would follow Apasthambha sutram or Bodhayana.Sampradya would differ according to the Vedic affliation.For Rigvedis,they may be of Ashvalayana sutram.In course of time samprya might also have been mixed.For instance in some sampradya Brahmayagyam is done after Madhyanikam while in some others it is done before.

Hence it is always mentioned first try to get it from Vedas or then look for the doubt in smrithis or then go for sishta Aacharam and finally ones conscience.
Vaidhyanatha Diksheetiyam is a compilation of all smirithis.Now it is being republished by Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam for the benefit of those who want to know the sastraas.

If so, in our colloquial language sense (Sastra-sampradaya), are both linked that much. The sampradayas in sastras alone we are following. My doubt is whether vedam is full of hymns or vedam also have parts to teach us (Like chowlam, pumsuvanam, etc. sorts of all rituals (I mean the sampradayas)). If sampradayas came from vedas, then there will be only 3 or 4 sampradaya (Apart from smartha or including it). It is confusing me much. I want somemore clear explanations in this regards. Thanks suvarchas for your kind answer.

Pranams

Namaskaram Durga Dasan,
As far as my reading goes the Vedas do not ay anything about the rituals (Sampradaya)The 10th Mandala of the Rg Veda contains many Rks a few of which are adopted as mantras during marraige and funeral.
Some sort of sampradaya devloped only in the Grihya Sutras

Namaskaram PBK

Thanks a lot. Whether, grihyasutras can also be considered as sastras or not? So your answer for my doubt is vedam has only hymns (Only that particular portion alone have some mantras for customs). Am I right?

Pranams

Nishkramanam, kesantham, samavartham-- I need some more details regarding this Sharma ji... Please enlighten me. Is there any special manthras/rituals for Nishkramanam like marriage???

Pranams

Yeah Sharma ji,

Totally clear now. All these 3 karmas, am hearing now only for the first time. So only enquired more about them. Now its clear. Will follow in astrology section as you said for more details. thanks in advance.

Pranams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back