• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Should Khichdi be India's national dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is similar to our Pongal with more spices added!! But what do we prefer soft idlis with Cocunut chutni & Onion sambar as side dishes or Kichdi? I like the former!! If it is mini idli in sambar & ghee I can take the complete bowl!!

Should Khichdi be India's national dish?

November 01, 2017 20:28

Over 800 kg khichdi, a traditional Indian dish relished by both rich and poor, will be prepared live on November 4 at the World Food India event in New Delhi in a bid to create world record and popularise it as brand India food globally.

Khichdi -- prepared using rice, pulses, coarse cereals and spices -- has been selected as Brand India Food because it symbolises the country's unity in diversity.

A giant 'kadhai' (frying pan) of the capacity of 1,000 litres and 7 feet in diameter will be used for slow steam- cooking of more than 800 kg khichdi.

The khichdi will be prepared by renowned chef Sanjeev Kapoor, who has been roped as brand ambassador of the Great India Food Street for the three-day event starting November 3, being organised by food processing ministry along with CII.

"Khichdi is the wonder staple food of India and is considered the healthiest prepared food in India and it is being eaten across length and breadth of India by rich and poor," Food Processing Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal told reporters at the curtain raiser event.

Khichdi symbolises India's great culture of unity in diversity at its best. Therefore, Khichdi has been selected the Brand India Food, she added.

The cooked khichdi will be distributed to about 60,000 orphan children as well as guests present at the event. The khichdi will also be distributed to the Heads of Foreign Missions in India along with recipe.

Brand India Khichdi's ingredients and recipe will be popularised by Indian Foreign Missions throughout the world. The government will ensure that Khichdi is available in restaurants and kitchens around the world, an official statement said. --

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...ational-dish/6fe432d7b4cd45b3d855080ffa3ae2b3

naah... I don't like it.. its the food for the patients!! Different from our Pongal. Dalia is the main ingredient.

I love Kichidi....eat it almost daily becos we can use less rice and add more split moong dhall so there is less carbs in intake...but I use olive oil instead to cook Kichidi.

I like Kichdi when it has grown up to become tasty, bewitching and enchanting Pongal. LOL.

That too the pongal distributed in the local temple in the Tamil month of Markazhi (Dhanur) after Tiruppavai is chanted.

naah... I don't like it.. its the food for the patients!! Different from our Pongal. Dalia is the main ingredient.

I agree with you.
There is no comparison between Pongal and Khichdi.

Pongal is Ferrari, Khichdi is Nano.

Last edited:
Yes, my friend. வெண் பொங்கல் Ven Pongal is an ancient Tamil Nadu dish prepared specially for offering to God in Temples. There is no comparison of this ancient dish with Kichidi a Gujarati dish. I have tasted this for 18 months on Tuesdays, while I was taking my food in a small Gujarati joint in Salala in Oman.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

I feel Biryani should be Indias national dish.

Even though its not originally Indian but it has Veg Biryani..Mutton biryani..chicken biryani etc..so everyone can be happy.

Just like Halwa and Jalebi are not originally Indian sweets..it has become part and parcel of Indian tradition.

So BIRYANI it is!

I agree with you.
There is no comparison between Pongal and Khichdi.

Pongal is Ferrari, Khichdi is Nano.
Bhakti Pongal - மார்கழி திங்கள் மடி நிரைய பாெங்கல்

கலாசாரப் பாெங்கல் மாட்டுப்பாெங்கல்

Taste of India - Political Kitchidi Coalitions!

Even though its not originally Indian but it has Veg Biryani..Mutton biryani..chicken biryani etc..so everyone can be happy.

Just like Halwa and Jalebi are not originally Indian sweets..it has become part and parcel of Indian tradition.

So BIRYANI it is!

Yes my vote for Vegetable Biryani.

Only if the ingradients are:

Basmati aromatic rice imported from Pakistani Punjab, Organic Vegetables imported from the farms in Kenya, spices imported from the Western Ghats of India and cooked by an Indian woman in her kitchen with a lot of sradhdha and love and affection for the family to the accompaniment of songs in select rAgas of Karnatic music.

I am getting this biryani here in Brentwood, UK.

எத்தனை கோடி இன்பம் வைத்தாய் இறைவா!!

India enters Guinness World Records with over 918kg khichdi dish

Around 800 kg of Khichdi was cooked in a giant wok at the World Food India 2017 festival in New Delhi to create a world record. (PTI Photo)
HIGHLIGHTS
India set the world record by cooking about 918kg khichdi dish at the World Food India event in Delhi
The move comes as an attempt to promote the dish as Brand India superfood.
The dish was prepared using multigrains like rice, pulses, coarse cereals and vegetables.
NEW DELHI: India set the world record by cooking about 918kg khichdi, a traditional dish at the World Food India event here, a Guinness World Record official said on Saturday.
India enters record book with 918kg khichdi dish

A team led by renowned chef Sanjeev Kapoor cooked khichdi in an attempt to enter the Guinness World Records and promote the dish as Brand India superfood.

Yoga guru Ramdev Baba put 'tadka' in the dish which was steam-cooked in a giant wok weighing around 1,200 kg.

"Khichdi is healthy and superfood. It is good for those depending on food supplements. It is rich in all nutrition," Ramdev said.
Promoting khichdi as a 'Brand India' food is a good step towards promoting healthy superfood not only in the domestic but also in the international market, he added.

Food Processing Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal Minister said: "It is a wholesome food as it contains most of the nutrients. It also symbolises the country's unity in diversity."
The dish was prepared using multigrains like rice, pulses, coarse cereals and vegetables. The night-long preparation was supervised by chef Sanjeev Kapoor.
The khichdi will be distributed to orphans by Akshaya Patra Foundation and Gurudwara to about 60,000 people.
Other leading chefs including Imtiaz Qureshi, Ranveer Brar, Sudhir Sibal, Rakesh Sethi, Akshay Nayyar, Satish Gowda helped in the cooking.
Qureshi, master chef at ITC Hotels, praised the government's initiative to promote Indian foods like khichdi and its recognition of the talent possessed by Indian chefs.
He said that new-age chefs are innovating this dish across the world.
Minister of State for Food Processing Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti, Denmark Food Minister Esben Lunde Larsen, ITC CEO Sanjiv Puri, Tata Chemicals COO of the consumer business Rich Arora, LT Foods Chairman Vijay Arora and Akshaya Patra Foundation officials were also present at the event.
The mega khichdi preparation was part of the 'Great Indian Food Street' at the global event that features traditional food from more than 20 states.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/m.ti...0kg-khichdi-dish/amp_articleshow/61508155.cms

Last edited:

Basmati aromatic rice imported from Pakistani Punjab, Organic Vegetables imported from the farms in Kenya, spices imported from the Western Ghats of India and cooked by an Indian woman in her kitchen with a lot of sradhdha and love and affection for the family to the accompaniment of songs in select rAgas of Karnatic music.

Carnatic music is a bit too slow for me..I prefer Dapangkuttu.

So BIRYANI it is!

Biriyani is mostly Indian, although the name may be Parsi....

Puliyodharai, Vangibath, Pisibelabath, puli saadham, thengai saadham are South Indian and can be considered as biriyani too.. ( Biriyani is just a rice dish)....

I always like to listen to songs when I cook... I bet,there are many more members who love to listen to songs when they cook...

I cooked rava kichidi only yesterday... added carrot, beans, avaraikkai and green peas... turned out really well...

Last edited:

Indian Woman?...come on, aren't you being a sexist now?

I am a man.... I can always give any woman 'the run for the money' when it comes to cooking biriyani...

Biriyani should be moist, still the rice should be separated, all the way cooked, but the rice should stay intact......

some of the recipes I can cook really well.... oh well.. the role is not entirely reversed... but for cooking... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JQgkQIeUzM

Indian Woman?...come on, aren't you being a sexist now?

I am a man.... I can always give any woman 'the run for the money' when it comes to cooking biriyani...

Biriyani should be moist, still the rice should be separated, all the way cooked, but the rice should stay intact......

some of the recipes I can cook really well.... oh well.. the role is not entirely reversed... but for cooking... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JQgkQIeUzM

Dear Raghy,

Women are full of creative energy. Much more than men. Right from the early morning Kolam in front of your main door, to making the bed in the night the creativity is evident in everything they do.

After drawing an elaborate kolam the girl next door to my house stands back and takes a look. And finally she puts just a small circle and a dot in the centre of the pattern she has drawn to complete it. Only then she is satisfied. To an onlooker like me who thought that the pattern was complete the final addition comes as a pleasant surprise. That moment I cherish because I have witnessed the creativity in that girl soaring with its wings.

I can compare that moment to only that moment when I was entralled when I was standing before Dwarkadish in Dwarka temple. Before Aarti I was witnessing the elaborate alankaaram being done to Dwarkadish. It was very beautifully done with a lot of bhakti and sradhdha by the priests there. They used flowers of different colors and it was all very colorful. I was just witnessing the alankaram being done by them by adding one by one the garlands etc., I was standing in the crowd. When everyone thought that the alankaram was over and the aarti will be the next process, there was a surprise. The priest was waiting and we too were wondering what next. Then came the climax. One of the priests came and gave the chief priest who was doing the alankaram a piece of peacock quill. The priest placed it on the top/crest of the kireetam and wow!! that completed the alankaram. And we all were enthralled. I cherish that moment.

So creativity wherever it is witnessed is very beautiful and pleasing.

When a woman is in the kitchen cooking your biryani-vegetable biryani of course-she draws a kolam actually with all her creativity. The turning of the knob of the stove to reduce the size and heat of the flame, the careful cooking of the Basmati rice to make it neither a fully cooked morsel nor an uncooked granule, the exact amount of salt and spices added to make that magic taste come true, the underlying care, love and affection for the family which makes her keep the whole process clean to a dot, the care taken not to over do anything, the song either sung happily while the process of cooking is on or the song wafting in the background - every thing is creative. The chief conductor of this creative ensemble is the woman.

All this without the expectation of any thing in return.

I salute the Indian women.

A man can never match a woman in all these. Period.

Last edited:
Dear Raghy,

Women are full of creative energy. Much more than men. Right from the early morning Kolam in front of your main door, to making the bed in the night the creativity is evident in everything they do.

After drawing an elaborate kolam the girl next door to my house stands back and takes a look. And finally she puts just a small circle and a dot in the centre of the pattern she has drawn to complete it. Only then she is satisfied. To an onlooker like me who thought that the pattern was complete the final addition comes as a pleasant surprise. That moment I cherish because I have witnessed the creativity in that girl soaring with its wings.

I can compare that moment to only that moment when I was entralled when I was standing before Dwarkadish in Dwarka temple. Before Aarti I was witnessing the elaborate alankaaram being done to Dwarkadish. It was very beautifully done with a lot of bhakti and sradhdha by the priests there. They used flowers of different colors and it was all very colorful. I was just witnessing the alankaram being done by them by adding one by one the garlands etc., I was standing in the crowd. When everyone thought that the alankaram was over and the aarti will be the next process, there was a surprise. The priest was waiting and we too were wondering what next. Then came the climax. One of the priests came and gave the chief priest who was doing the alankaram a piece of peacock quill. The priest placed it on the top/crest of the kireetam and wow!! that completed the alankaram. And we all were enthralled. I cherish that moment.

When a woman is in the kitchen cooking your biryani-vegetable biryani of course-she draws a kolam actually with all her creativity. The turning of the knob of the stove to reduce the size and heat of the flame, the careful cooking of the Basmati rice to make it neither a fully cooked morsel nor an uncooked granule, the exact amount of salt and spices added to make that magic taste come true, the underlying care, love and affection for the family which makes her keep the whole process clean to a dot, the care taken not to over do anything, the song either sung happily while the process of cooking is on or the song wafting in the background - every thing is creative. The chief conductor of this creative ensemble is the woman.

Dear Vaagmi,

I did not want to pick and choose from your nice message.

I salute women. It does not have to be Indian only. I rub shoulders with women from various backgrounds, including Indian.

A man can never match?... I may differ with you though...

From cooking to drawing kolams to taking care of others, I hsave seen men doing a great job....

But, as I aid earlier, I too salute women.... most of them.

Dear Raghy,

LOL!

What a Maniratnam vivid imagination!LOL

Believe me I am a woman..DNA Indian!

Our minds are quite task focused sans all this Drama!

Our brains come with a check list with small boxes by the side to tick "Check" each time a task is completed.

Its males who imagine all this Shraddha Bhakti Badao are go into a frenzy admiring every step a female takes.

Its like this...

Cleaning house ..Check
Cooking..Check
Making the bed..Check
Filling up car petrol..Check
Filling up air into tyres..Check
Filling up coolant in car..Check
Apply lipstick..Check!
High Heels...Check!

Arey yaar...we are simple creatures...no song breaks out in our head when we do our work...its mechanical actually!

Elsewhere in Forum in a Hadron/Quark/Decepticon/Leprechauan thread one member was talking about the cow unconsciously producing milk.

So every action of the female in her life eventually becomes an unconscious reflex that even if you blindfold her she will be still able to draw the Kolam with the finishing touches and make you Thayir Sadam besides a S&M role play!LOL

For every work done by anyone its very normal to take one step back and admire our work before putting the finishing touches.

Even men and monkeys do this.

I have seen monkeys playing with stuff and then take one step back to observe their pranks and then put their finishing touches to it.

Last edited:
Arey yaar...we are simple creatures...no song breaks out in our head when we do our work...its mechanical actually!

Not being a Medico, I look at human anatomy as a piece of art with a lot of assymmetry and yet stability. The curves usually are breath taking. And one can be lost for eons in those curves.

For a medico it may be all just bones, muscles and circulating fluids and a few organs packed tightly.

The object is the same but views are different. We are all conditioned.

It requires special effort to remain a plain and simple human looking only at the beauty of things, events, processes and beings. And enjoy them clapping hands like a child which enjoys the first showers of the season.

I enjoy what I see on the computer screen when I see a movie. While I am aware that at the logic gate level it is all just on and off or open and closed. The child in me makes me look at the movie and enjoy it while the technologist in me understands the underlying scheme of things. Even there I marvel at the ingenuity of the mind that thought up the potential of the binaries 1 and 0.

That is the difference.

I dread the day I will lose this ability to enjoy simple things standing out from the chaotic noise in the background. And being called a moron. LOL.

Last edited:
Not being a Medico, I look at human anatomy as a piece of art with a lot of assymmetry and yet stability. The curves usually are breath taking. And one can be lost for eons in those curves.

For a medico it may be all just bones, muscles and circulating fluids and a few organs packed tightly.

The object is the same but views are different. We are all conditioned.

It requires special effort to remain a plain and simple human looking only at the beauty of things, events, processes and beings. And enjoy them clapping hands like a child which enjoys the first showers of the season.

I enjoy what I see on the computer screen when I see a movie. While I am aware that at the logic gate level it is all lights on and off. The child in me makes me look at the movie and enjoy it while the technologist in me understands the underlying scheme of things. Even there I marvel at the ingenuity of the mind that thought up the potential of the binaries 1 and 0.

That is the difference.

I dread the day I will lose this ability to enjoy simple things. And being called a moron. LOL.

I understand your situation....Testosterone clouds the intellect!LOL

Its changes the how a human being is perceived..thats why all the Urdhva Retas exercises are for males!LOL LOL LOL

Yup..you are right...that way we females are designed better! ha ha ha

I guess we do not view the world sexually as a male!

Sattva?Really?

Last edited:
.........When a woman is in the kitchen cooking your biryani-vegetable biryani of course-she draws a kolam actually with all her creativity. The turning of the knob of the stove to reduce the size and heat of the flame, the careful cooking of the Basmati rice to make it neither a fully cooked morsel nor an uncooked granule, the exact amount of salt and spices added to make that magic taste come true, the underlying care, love and affection for the family which makes her keep the whole process clean to a dot, the care taken not to over do anything, the song either sung happily while the process of cooking is on or the song wafting in the background - every thing is creative. The chief conductor of this creative ensemble is the woman.

All this without the expectation of any thing in return........
All this without the expectation of any thing in return??? ;)

I understand your situation....Testosterone clouds the intellect!LOL

Its changes the how a human being is perceived..thats why all the Urdhva Retas exercises are for males!LOL LOL LOL

Yup..you are right...that way we females are designed better! ha ha ha

I guess we do not view the world sexually as a male!

Sattva?Really?

Lol. This is precisely what I have been telling.

The medico in you getting the better of you.

A highly evolved mind's appreciation of God's beautiful design is reduced to just chemicals and called a hormone.

I understand. It requires a lot of effort to remain a human when you have chosen to become a Doc.

To see beauty in simple things and enjoy it you need to be a sattva.

For a satva everything beautiful around is not a sexual object. LOL. Nor an object for consumption.

when a child in the satva family and background feeds a chicken or a hen it enjoys the experience. It speaks to the creature, sings a song for it, plays with it etc.,

But a non-satva child also does all this and will not hesitate to catch it and turn its neck to kill it for his mother to prepare a dish for a "yummy" lunch.

Sattva is just remaining in control and being deliberate for a larger goal.

Lol. This is precisely what I have been telling.

The medico in you getting the better of you.

A highly evolved mind's appreciation of God's beautiful design is reduced to just chemicals and called a hormone.

I understand. It requires a lot of effort to remain a human when you have chosen to become a Doc.

To see beauty in simple things and enjoy it you need to be a sattva.

For a satva everything beautiful around is not a sexual object. LOL. Nor an object for consumption.

when a child in the satva family and background feeds a chicken or a hen it enjoys the experience. It speaks to the creature, sings a song for it, plays with it etc.,

But a non-satva child also does all this and will not hesitate to catch it and turn its neck to kill it for his mother to prepare a dish for a "yummy" lunch.

Sattva is just remaining in control and being deliberate for a larger goal.

Sattva might get lost in curves.
But being beyond Sattva..beyond Gunas knows...

naariistanabhara naabhiidesham
drishhtvaa maagaamohaavesham
etanmaamsaavasaadi vikaaram
manasi vichintaya vaaram vaaram

Delude not ,thyself, with lustful desires
For the cut of the navel or the curve of the breast
As all bodies are formed by fat and flesh, that expires
Remind thyself over and over, this fact, to attest

The one who wrote the above was not a medico.

He was a highly evolved mind...beyond Gunas.

BTW Sattva Rajas Tamas are just Gunas not virtues they are just instruments/mode for functioning..
thinking Gunas are virtue only binds the mind further.

True Virtue is beyond Gunas.

A Sattva mind divides children into Sattva and Non Sattva.

A mind beyond Guna sees no difference.

Take your time.
I understand going beyond Sattva aint easy.

Last edited:
Sattva might get lost in curves.
But being beyond Sattva..beyond Gunas knows...

naariistanabhara naabhiidesham
drishhtvaa maagaamohaavesham
etanmaamsaavasaadi vikaaram
manasi vichintaya vaaram vaaram

Delude not ,thyself, with lustful desires
For the cut of the navel or the curve of the breast
As all bodies are formed by fat and flesh, that expires
Remind thyself over and over, this fact, to attest

The one who wrote the above was not a medico.

He was a highly evolved mind...beyond Gunas.

BTW Sattva Rajas Tamas are just Gunas not virtues they are just instruments/mode for functioning..
thinking Gunas are virtue only binds the mind further.

True Virtue is beyond Gunas.

A Sattva mind divides children into Sattva and Non Sattva.

A mind beyond Guna sees no difference.

Take your time.
I understand going beyond Sattva aint easy.

That is your perception and understanding of the reality.

I do not agree with your perception.

I leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back