• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Scientific knowledge as a projection of Spiritual Knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion the people who come in defence of science reveal in their responses their blindness towards explanations other than what is offered by science. Actually if it only the case of blindness it is not of no consequence to the rest and they can live in their own world but what they try to do is to discredit and put down such explanations so that new perspectives are dissuaded. I think a certain degree of tolerance if not open mindedness is required by these people to what is not a mainstream approach to problems.

But fortunately I am not dissuaded. I am actually happy that there is interest in this thread and I will continue to put forth my views. I welcome constructive views and if there are some who have to offer only empty criticisms I think they should understand that they are not only being not helpful but are also being disruptive.

I welcome constructive views and if there are some who have to offer only empty criticisms I think they should understand that they are not only being not helpful but are also being disruptive.

Dear Sravna,

So far I don't think any member has given any empty criticisms in their thread and surely not disruptive either..some words might seem a little direct to the point but mainly with a good will to give some of us a gentle tap back into the realm of logic.

Dear Sravna,

So far I don't think any member has given any empty criticisms in their thread and surely not disruptive either..some words might seem a little direct to the point but mainly with a good will to give some of us a gentle tap back into the realm of logic.

Dear Renuka,

By empty criticisms I mean something that doesn't address the arguments but that are extraneous to them. So really it is those people who need to appeal through logic.

In my opinion the people who come in defence of science reveal in their responses their blindness towards explanations other than what is offered by science. Actually if it only the case of blindness it is not of no consequence to the rest and they can live in their own world but what they try to do is to discredit and put down such explanations so that new perspectives are dissuaded. I think a certain degree of tolerance if not open mindedness is required by these people to what is not a mainstream approach to problems.

But fortunately I am not dissuaded. I am actually happy that there is interest in this thread and I will continue to put forth my views. I welcome constructive views and if there are some who have to offer only empty criticisms I think they should understand that they are not only being not helpful but are also being disruptive.

Dear Shri Sravna,

The problem here seems to me to be that you are talking about "spiritual laws". This word will be understood today by a good number of people to be something akin to E=m x c-squared, or else it may be something like "Brahman does not allow intergalactic travel by man.", etc.

But you have not yet come out with even one instance of a scientific law which is in consonance with/working against a so-called spiritual law and what that concerned spiritual law is.

If you do this first, readers will be in a better position to appreciate your magnificent theory. Hope you will do that first instead of trying to respond to our comments.

Dear Renuka,

By empty criticisms I mean something that doesn't address the arguments but that are extraneous to them. So really it is those people who need to appeal through logic.

Dear Sravna,

I don't think you understood my post #75.

Dear Shri Sravna,

The problem here seems to me to be that you are talking about "spiritual laws". This word will be understood today by a good number of people to be something akin to E=m x c-squared, or else it may be something like "Brahman does not allow intergalactic travel by man.", etc.

But you have not yet come out with even one instance of a scientific law which is in consonance with/working against a so-called spiritual law and what that concerned spiritual law is.

If you do this first, readers will be in a better position to appreciate your magnificent theory. Hope you will do that first instead of trying to respond to our comments.

Dear Shri Sangom,

I am only done with the first part. I will definitely talk about the spiritual and the physical laws. This I did state as my second objective.

BTW I have always held a high regard for you and many others notably smt. Renuka who argue in a rational way.

Last edited:
Dear Sravna,

Dear Renuka,

Since it would be unfair on other members, if it is thought I am alluding to any of them, I am referring to the post by Shri TKS. I think it is not a gentle tap. It does sound empty and even malicious

In Post#48 on July 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 2013 Sri Sangom raised this question:

“FYI, the following seems to be a puzzle to me:

"The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model that describes the early development of the Universe, which is calculated to have begun 13.798 ± 0.037billion years ago."

"The farthest distance that it is theoretically possible for humans to see, called the observable universe, is about 93 billion light years in diameter." (Universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So, if we can observe up to 93 billion years, can we not see what happened before the Big Bang which is only 14 billion years old?”

Let me share my understanding:

There is a saying – “The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine”

The concepts of space and time that we understand intuitively turns out to be inaccurate based on experimental observations.

Einstein’s work is now over 100 years old. An intriguing revelation is that nothing can travel faster than light. If I am traveling in a bus going at say 30 km/hour and I throw a ball in the direction of travel of bus at 5 km/hour, a person on the ground will see the ball being thrown at 30 plus 5 = 35 km/hour.

The fact that nothing can travel faster than light means that if instead of throwing a ball I throw a beam of light in the direction of the bus from inside the bus both the person in the bus and the observer in the ground will measure exactly the same speed of light. It is as if the speed of the bus has had no impact on the speed of light whatsoever.

The above understanding gives rise to the notion of time dilation. Let us say there are two people A and B of the same age and A decides to travel in space at a very high speed (fraction of speed of light). Such travel with such a high speed is not possible with today’s technology. However if it were possible and if A decides to return back to earth after 5 minutes of travel he will find that his friend B has aged by 70 years (and with great grand kids) in the 5 minutes experienced by A.

The above conclusions get verified every day in atomic reactors and other such devices.
The concept of space and time as we understand them are very strange indeed and we cannot use intuitive experience of our day to day world to apply when dealing with very small or very large systems.

I wanted to restate background in simpler terms before addressing the question.

The concept of space and time as we understand today is very strange and getting stranger with more observation. (A parenthetic statement I can make is that while the teachings of Upanishads have nothing to do with science, the concept of space and time alluded to there is finally getting caught up by modern science with improved experiments and better theories. This is a separate topic and I do not want to digress from the original question.)

The so called big bang gave rise to notion of space and time in this theory. So the concept of sense of time *before* time itself originated is meaningless. This is an answer to the question but gives rise to a different question

So if light originated in the current understanding some 14 billion years ago immediately after the big bang and since nothing can travel faster than light how is it that we can say that observable universe is at about 93 billion light years away?. In other words universe has existed for 14 billion years from our vantage point and any light that we see today did not originate before 14 billion years and the most distance we can actually say we see could be no more than 14 billion years.

For this we have to grasp that the notion of space itself. Space is expanding at a very rapid rate it turns out. By space we mean that akasha which has no particle (like air)

A question is space is expanding into what? Space is where objects expand into – but how can space itself expand? And supposedly it is expanding at a faster rate than speed of light itself. If it is expanding, what lies beyond space is a meaningless question just like it makes no sense to talk about time before big bang. The notion of space and time is very strange indeed and these are big topics of study for those that want to pursue fields like astrophysics.

It seems that nothing can go faster than the speed of light. It also seems that our universe is expanding faster than the speed of light today. Space itself that is expanding faster than the speed of light and in the process it is driving objects further apart. The idea that space is expanding faster than the speed of light is not in contradiction since the space has no mass! Only particle with any mass cannot go faster than speed of light. (Here again the notions of mass turns out to be not what they appear intuitively)

How did humans figure out that space is expanding? What observations led to this theory? Interested readers can find many books on this topic including those intended for laymen.

So light particle (or wave) that ‘left’ a newly created object is reaching us now after 14 billion years. In the meantime the object or galaxy has been moving away from us since space in which it is contained has expanded to be as far out as 93 billion light years. So we say that object that emitted that light some 14 billion years ago is actually away from us 93 billions light years because the intervening space has expanded!

Space is rapidly accelerating its expansion and there will be a time in the future when light that leaves an object in space can never reach us anymore and we will not be able to see any other galaxy. By that time earth and sun would have ceased to exist :) :pray2:

I will talk about the relationship between the spiritual truths and the scientific truths. I propose the following to start with:

1. Knowledge exists as a complete whole in the spiritual reality
2. There is no distinction between the perceived and the perceiver in the spiritual reality
3. Knowledge needs to be synthesized in the physical reality
4. Knowledge that already exists as synthesized needs to be analysed in the physical reality

I will try to present the basis for making the above claims in the coming posts.

Last edited:
Go ahead Sir, Wishing this thread, a lively discourse, healthy debate and all the best.

With regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Shri tks,

Thank you very much for your lucid explanation in post # 81. Will you kindly suggest some layman's books about the expansion of "space" or universe?

I will talk about the relationship between the spiritual truths and the scientific truths. I propose the following to start with:

2. There is no distinction between the perceived and the perceiver in the spiritual reality
4. Knowledge that already exists as synthesized needs to be analysed in the physical reality

I will try to present the basis for making the above claims in the coming posts.

Shri Sravna,

I have the following take on your listing -

- This point is clear to me. May I consider this as Supreme Conscious that comprises of everything, that has no boundaries and no limits?

- Is that within the whole Spiritual Realm (Supreme Conscious) there is no distinction between what is perceived and who is the perceiver?

- Does it mean that, Physical reality that exists with a purpose and having its limitation and restrictions, knowledge need to be synthesized to make sense of the Physical reality, supported by MAYA ?

- If coding and decoding of the existing synthesized knowledge in the Physical reality is achieved (that seems near to impossibility unless an individual personally attains ultimate realization through Sadhana) and Pure Knowledge is understood, do you mean to consider that Scientific Advancement of humans can reach its ultimate summit?

Is that the theme of your thread topic is an attempt to determine that, Science (human's scientific efforts) that strives to explore the knowledge/ingredients of this Physical Reality is in fact the by-product or can say is the different dimension of the Spiritual Reality with still some restrictions and as such further well intended and effective Scientific initiatives can succeed in exploring a lot hidden knowledge of this physical reality?

I have just derived the above conclusion based on my understanding of your topic, in my attempt to see what's in your thoughts. As such, I have made the above interpretations.

Ravi, perfect! You have provided the gist. I will try to develop these basic ideas. I am sure everyone can contribute and let us see if some agreement can be reached.

I usually do not bother to read such threads - people make things up without bothering to understand what is already well established and taught. I guess it must be fun to blabber and a forum like this one provides storage space and even sincere audience :)

It sure is good fun to blabber, sometimes to speak and sometimes to listen ;-)

Sravna,

As a belief, one can have anything, but to prove it as a science, similar to a theory, it is not possible, at least, they way you have been going about.

Post 82, it seems, throws up a lot more queries, but I will wait for you to elaborate.

Dear Shri Auh,

Before I proceed with the second part, for those who are logically inclined and like a logical proof, I will prove my first hypothesis, which is:

Knowledge acquired by science has a deeper basis one that is beyond space and time

Proof

Kindly see my next post as I have edited this a lot

Last edited:

- This point is clear to me. May I consider this as Supreme Conscious that comprises of everything, that has no boundaries and no limits?
You may not. To merit consideration, we have to know what is meant by spiritual reality, and non-spiritual reality, and then what was the knowledge that existed as a complete whole in the spiritual reality. We have to, then, find out if there is anything that is "supreme", and whether there is a consciousness at all. Then comes the fact of ascertaining if it could comprise everything without boundaries and limits. Then perhaps we can evaluate if the knowledge is really the supreme consciousness.

- Is that within the whole Spiritual Realm (Supreme Conscious) there is no distinction between what is perceived and who is the perceiver?
What is this spiritual realm? Is this a physical realm or a realm that exists only in thoughts? Is spiritual realm = supreme consciousness?

- Does it mean that, Physical reality that exists with a purpose and having its limitation and restrictions, knowledge need to be synthesized to make sense of the Physical reality, supported by MAYA ?
How can knowledge be synthesized? Why should knowledge be synthesized in the physical reality. For what purpose? And why should physical reality exist for a purpose? Can it not be a meaningless existence? And who is this new character MAYA?

- If coding and decoding of the existing synthesized knowledge in the Physical reality is achieved (that seems near to impossibility unless an individual personally attains ultimate realization through Sadhana) and Pure Knowledge is understood, do you mean to consider that Scientific Advancement of humans can reach its ultimate summit?
Too much stuff to even talk about - coding and decoding of an already synthesized knowledge, attaining ultimate realization, sadhana, pure knowledge (how can knowledge be pure or impure?). Phew.

Fact 1:Knowledge is based on facts and is acquired by a coherent understanding of those facts
Premise 1: A fact is something that cannot be refuted in the scope in which it exists
Premise 2: A fact can be refuted by another fact if the latter has a greater scope
Premise 3: Facts that are timeless and universal can refute facts that are only universal
Premise 4: Knowledge based on physically verifiable facts only are universal only in scope
The premises are debatable, are they not?
What is scope of a fact. How can we identify timeless facts, and what comprises universal facts? How can one fact refute another? A fact is something that can only be proved or demonstrated. There are no other facts, and this is a fact ;-). I am beginning to think that these premises are put forward to augment your theories only.

Dear Shri Auh,

I mentioned that if spiritual truths are seen as the basis of scientific knowledge there is no problem. But the problem is when you hold scientific knowledge as supreme and refuse to see the spiritual reality. That belief will be falsified i.e., laws of science as the supreme will not hold.

The point is creating laws in isolation from the spiritual reality according to me will be proven to be incorrect because you start with different premises.

I hold nothing to be supreme. In fact I have started with a blank sheet of paper and hence so many questions on your premises and theories.

Proof

(I have edited the previous post a lot and so have deleted the content of the previous post)

Fact 1: Knowledge is based on facts and acquired by a coherent understanding of those facts

Premise 1: A fact may be only universal in scope or both universal and timeless in scope.

Premise 2: Facts that are both timeless and universal can refute facts that are only universal in scope

Premise 3: Facts that are universal only in scope are directly verifiable through observations.

Premise 4:The direct verification of the universal facts shows their reality.

Premise 5: Facts that are both universal and timeless are not directly verifiable but can only be inferred when they falsify physically verifiable facts.

Premise 6: The falsification points to the deeper reality of the falsified facts.

Conclusion: Scientific knowledge has a deeper basis.

I will substantiate the premises and show the validity of the conclusion in the coming posts.

The premises are debatable, are they not?
What is scope of a fact. How can we identify timeless facts, and what comprises universal facts? How can one fact refute another? A fact is something that can only be proved or demonstrated. There are no other facts, and this is a fact ;-). I am beginning to think that these premises are put forward to augment your theories only.

Dear Shri Auh,

I have edited my post. See if you still need more clarity.

You may not. To merit consideration, we have to know what is meant by spiritual reality, and non-spiritual reality, and then what was the knowledge that existed as a complete whole in the spiritual reality. We have to, then, find out if there is anything that is "supreme", and whether there is a consciousness at all. Then comes the fact of ascertaining if it could comprise everything without boundaries and limits. Then perhaps we can evaluate if the knowledge is really the supreme consciousness.

What is this spiritual realm? Is this a physical realm or a realm that exists only in thoughts? Is spiritual realm = supreme consciousness?

How can knowledge be synthesized? Why should knowledge be synthesized in the physical reality. For what purpose? And why should physical reality exist for a purpose? Can it not be a meaningless existence? And who is this new character MAYA?

Too much stuff to even talk about - coding and decoding of an already synthesized knowledge, attaining ultimate realization, sadhana, pure knowledge (how can knowledge be pure or impure?). Phew.

Dear Shri Auh,

You should be more patient and wait till the ideas develop into some concrete and comprehensible form. I think you do understand that we are discussing some really heavy stuff for which there will be no quick answers especially when the perspective is new. I would try to understand the gist first and then try to focus on semantics and other less substantive issues.

BTW I do understand you are new to this topic which makes it extra difficult for you to grasp all the stuff at once. But as I said trying to focus on the big picture will help you anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back