• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sanskrit

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is one more method of learning which does not depend on random power

cuts, fluctuations in the voltage, traffic jam etc.

It is called learning from Books!

Has the world forgotten this option already
icon4.png

Sri.Haridasa Siva,

Greetings. Learning Sanskrit is not connected to living as a caste brahmin. Sanskrit is a language; just like any other languages, it is also common to all the people irrespective of their caste, creed or religion. If you wish to learn Sanskrit, that is very good; but it need not be for the belief, a brahmin must know Sanskrit. You can't reject the caste brahmins who do not know Sanskrit, can you? Kindly think about it.

Sanskrit speaking villages irrespective of their caste -

"In these Indian villages, inhabitants of all castes speak Sanskrit natively since childhood:
  1. Mattur in Karnataka,[38]
  2. Jhiri, District: Rajgadh, Madhya Pradesh,[39]
  3. Ganoda, District: Banswada, Rajasthan,[40]
  4. Bawali, District: Bagapat, Uttar Pradesh
  5. Mohad, District: Narasinhpur, Madhya Pradesh"
Sanskrit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is one of the sites for you to learn Sanskrit, if you are seriously interested....

Easy sanskrit Online Course-Course 1 --> AKSHARA DIPIKA

Good luck with your learning.

Cheers!

I believe brahmins MUST have knowledge of sanskrit. Can anyone help me with any free internet site to learn Sanskrit online?

Thanks. Lokha samasta sukhino bavantu.

Sri Haridasa Siva,

Knowledge of any language other than mother tongue is not a must to any one, unless the person is going to use it for his living. But learning a language is an asset for accumulating wealth of knowledge. Sanskrit is one of the great treasure of such knowledge.
Personally I would prefer you to have some guidance from a qualified Teacher first and learn the basics of Sanskrit. Then you can take up learning of the language yourself with the help of other sources.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Mr.Brahmanyan is absolutely right!

Whether it is an art, or a language or dance, first we must learn from a proper

guru to get the right foundation. There after we can develop by self study

(languages) and by watching and listening to the other performers (arts).

Yes learning in Gurukul under the watchful eyes of guru in the form of guru shishya parampara is much better than books, or software.
Traditional should be followed.

@ Raghy ji
Thank you sir. thats a wonderful site.

Shri Haridasa Siva,

I agree with your view that brahmins should try to have knowledge of Sanskrit. Even in the beginning of the last century, brahmins were generally taught Sanskrit to begin with, along with the reading and writing of the local language which would enable them in their day to day lives. But, as Shri Raghy tries to infer, my statement does not aim at excluding, or deriding, those brahmins who did not study Sanskrit. After all, from a strictly scriptural pov, almost all of us - including me - are not "brAhmaNa"; we are what the Dharmasastras derisively denote by the term "brahmabandhu", one born of brahmin parentage but not following the brahmin way of life completely. Hence there is no question of one lame person calling the other "lame".

An increase in the number of people with a knowledge of Sanskrit will, IMO, produce at least a few who will become scholars. These scholarly people will be able to understand our scriptures - which are in Sanskrit - thoroughly and will be able to judge for themselves what these actually contain. As of now, we are being led blindfolded by many people with their own interpretations and overtones added to the meaning of the scriptures and many of them have either vested interests in promoting ceratin particular ideas, or are just parroting earlier commentaries. Once this is reduced, I think hinduism itself will get refined. That is the only method to save hindu scriptures from disuse and eventual ruin, I think.

Hence, I welcome your decision to learn sanskrit. Most of the preliminaries can be learnt from the web. I will suggest this site:

http://www.sanskrit-sanscrito.com.ar/sanskrit/

I found it very good.

Last edited:
dear Mr. R.R,
you must be kidding! How do you expect everyone to go to a Gurukulam for learning Sanskrit, under the watchful eye of a guru.
A Guru just means a teacher. In the initial stages, the pupil will need the guidance of a guru= teacher.
with best wishes,
V.R.

I thank members for their suggestions. I will make use of the net. I live in South Africa and web is the easy route for me.

Loha samasta sukhino bavantu.

namaste shrI Sridharan.

One of the best ways of doing this is to use a multi-lingual editor software such as the Baraha:
Baraha - Free Indian Language Software - Editor and Fonts for Kannada, Konkani, Tulu, Hindi, Marathi, Sanskrit, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bengali, Assamese, and Oriya languages

This editor is free to download and use, and you can use with many Indian languages once you know their transliteration scheme which is simple and English-keyboard-based.

I would be grateful if some one guides me to type Tamil letters with the normal English keyboard.

I would be grateful if some one guides me to type Tamil letters with the normal English keyboard.

Sri.Sadasivam Sridharan Sir,

Greetings. Sri.Saidevo Sir has suggested a good site. Thee is one more site by Google 'transliterate' in Tamil. You may find the detailed procedure explained by Sow.RajiRam here

Cheers!

அன்புள்ள சதாசிவம் ஸ்ரீதரன் அவர்களுக்கு,
தாங்கள் கூகுள் சென்று ஆங்கிலத்தில் டைப் செய்தால் தமிழில் திருன்சிலடேரடே செய்து தரப்படும்...பிறகு கோப்பி மற்றும் பேஸ்ட் செய்யவும்.

இப்படிக்கு
tbs.

அன்புள்ள அய்யா ,
தாங்கள் கூறியபடி செய்து தமிழில் கணினியின் மூலம் எழுத கற்றுக்கொண்டிருக்கிறேன் .மிக்க நன்றி

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back