• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Salutary prefix of Shri

SWAMIN!!!
THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPENION.
1) AVNUL(SWAMI) AVAL(AMBAL) ADAKKAM ENBADHAL =SRI
2)AMBAL (MAHA LAKSHMI)IS ALWAYS WITH PERUMAL LEFTSIDE OF THE HEART.=SRI.
3)AMMAYUM APPANUM MAHA ARUL PALIKIRAR=SRI
4)WE ARE ALL HUMAN ORDINARY BHAKDAL BUT SWAMY AND AMBAL IS COMMON TO ALL=SRI
THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOGHT.
IF YOU FIND FALLS IN IT THAT IS PURELY MY MISTAKE (SHAMIKKANUM)
IF AT ALL YOU LIKE THIS THAT IS BECAUSE OF MY AACHARYALS ANUGRAGAM AND ,ALL BHAGAVADALS ACIRVADAM.

It is commonly prefixed to the names of Hindu Gods as well as men and women considered great or holy. It is also the standard honorific (akin to 'Mr.' in English) used when referring to an adult male in various Indian languages such as Bengali, Hindi, Marathi and Sanskrit and sometimes in English as well (in an Indian context).

When used as a title for Gods, Sri is sometimes translated into English as Lord, but this is quite inaccurate and it is generally agreed that Sri is best left un-translated. Its South Indian equivalent, Tamil, essentially in is Thiru. The naming of places, village, town and cities in South India is mostly prefixed with the word Sri. (eg. Srirangam, Sriperumpudur, Srivilliputtur, Srirangapattanam etc.)

Even the names of persons used to commonly start with "Sri". (such as, Srihari, Srinivasan, Sriraaman, Srikanth, Sridharan, Srivathsarngan etc for gents and Srimathi, Srilata, Sripriya, Sridevi, Srividhya etc.) In general, the Ladies are addressed as "Srimathi" and gents with "Srimaan" that equates to English words Ladies and Gentlemen! Sages and Saints are addressed with the word "Srimadh" (Srimad Vaalmiki, Srimad AadhivaNsatakopan, Srimad Ramanujacharya etc.)

Latest ads

Back