• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ritwik (Rtwk) : The modern fashionable name for male children

Status
Not open for further replies.
namaste smt.RENukA.

I agree with the idea in your post #24 that names such as aparNA when they have a divine connection, become alright as baby names.

• But then aparNA--leafless, stands in stark contrast with latA--creeper. Of course, shivAShTakam addresses Shiva as aparNA-kalatraM--consort of aparNA.

• Same way, umA stands in contrast with nivRtti: umA--don't take up penance, nivRtti--alright if you take to penance.

umA has an additional significance in that the term is considered to be shakti praNavam as against AUM, which is nAda brahmam. The mUla-mantra for ParvatI devI is AUM umA devyai namaH. Devotees chanting this mantra during the days of the navarAtri would get the blessings of DevI to accomplish hard tasks they desire.

• I learn that the fourth day after new moon day in the month of Ani/jyeShTha is called umA-chaturthi, which is popularly celebrated in Orissa, Jharkhand and Bengal.

shivapurANam has umA saMhitA that adores her. I understand that there is another umA saMhitA in vAyupurANam which gives the procedure for chanting sundara kANDam
(Sundara Kandam).

I know of a person who is named अनहिता (her father was a great Sanskrit scholar)
The way I understood her name coming from double negation of
हित ( अ one negation न second negation) and हित means beneficial friendly (from
when I typed hita in the search box of http://www.aa.tufs.ac.jp/~tjun/sktdic/ )
and Cologne Scan

Please let me know whether we are understanding this name properly.

Last edited:
Dear All

What's in a name ? - Read this :

"Our futures are shot to hell as soon as our parents bestow upon us names that are anything but alluring. I cannot imagine a more foolproof way of making sure the child remains single till classified advertisements or that maternal uncle in San Francisco thinks otherwise. Name him “Parthasarathy Venkatachalapthy” and his inherent capability to combat celibacy is obliterated before he could even talk. He will grow to be known as Partha. Before he knows, his smart, seductively named northy classmates start calling him Paratha. No woman in their right minds will go anyway near poor Parthasarathy. His investment banking job doesn’t help either. His employer loves him though. He has no personal life you see. By this time the Sanjay Singhs and Bobby Khans from his class have small businesses of their own and spend 60% of their lives in discos and pubs. The remaining 40% is spent coochicooing with leather and denim clad muses in their penthouse flats on Nepean Sea Road. Business is safely in the hands of the Mallu manager. After all with a name like Blossom Babykutty he cant use his 30000 salary anywhere. Blossom gave up on society when in school they automatically enrolled him for Cookery Classes. Along with all the girls.Yes my dear reader, nomenclature is the first nail in a coffin of neglect and hormonal pandemonium. In a kinder world they would just name the poor southern male child and throw him off the balcony. “Yes appa we have named him Goundamani…” THUD. Life would have been less kinder to him anyway.

Picture this: “Welcome, and this is my family. This is my daughter Poorni (what a sweet name!!) and my son Ponnalagusamy (er.. hello..)..” Cyanide would not be fast enough for poor Samy. Nothing Samy does will help him. He can pump iron, drive fast cars and wear snazzy clothes, but against a braindead dude called Arjun Singhania he has as much chance of getting any as a Benedictine Monk in a Saharan Seminary."

- Taken from Sidin Vadukut's post : : " The Travails of Single South Indian Men".

Hope everybody enjoys Vadukut's humour .

Yay Yem

I am grateful to the posting No 20 of Sri Saideo dt 12th and the subsequent comments. I know of a friend who was named Apathoddharanan and was called in a shortened form only as Apathu!Weird are the ways developed over time.
I think the id of a person should be finally qualified by his Gotram preceded by his own name and the family name ,if any. A pet name can be any. Any takers/
Regards,
Ramanathan.

I know of a person who is named अनहिता (her father was a great Sanskrit scholar)
The way I understood her name coming from double negation of
हित ( अ one negation न second negation) and हित means beneficial friendly (from
when I typed hita in the search box of Apte Sanskrit Dictionary Search )
and Cologne Scan

Please let me know whether we are understanding this name properly.

Read this:
[h=2]Anahita अनाहिता[/h]
Meaning of Anahita

From Vedic sanskrit Anahita means who nurture crops and herds.

Anahita also means immaculate that is pure.She is the Ancient Persian Goddess of water,fertility, war,and patroness of women.

• Aradevi Sura Anahita is an Indo Iranian cosmological figure,associated with fertility ,healing and wisdom.These three goddesses referred as Aradevi (moist),Sura (mighty) ,Anahita ( pure )

Dear All

At least we are not as notorious as the Malayalees in naming babies. Sidin Vadakut calls them
as the world's most 'cruel' on this front. It has become a sort of style to make a synthetic hybrid of the
name of the Mother and Father. I had a friend Jayant and his wife was Hema - they named their son
Hemant. I could figure that out.

What keeps me confused is names like ' SHEJEE ' , ' JEHU ' , ' SHUKAY ' , and the funniest name
noted by Vadakut is a girl by name ' SHITTY ABRAHAM " !

We Tamilians are not that bad. But I figured it out when R. Chelleppan called himself ' R.C.PAN '.

Yay Yem

Dear All

At least we are not as notorious as the Malayalees in naming babies. Sidin Vadakut calls them
as the world's most 'cruel' on this front. It has become a sort of style to make a synthetic hybrid of the
name of the Mother and Father. I had a friend Jayant and his wife was Hema - they named their son

What keeps me confused is names like ' SHEJEE ' , ' JEHU ' , ' SHUKAY ' , and the funniest name

We Tamilians are not that bad. But I figured it out when R. Chelleppan called himself ' R.C.PAN '.

Yay Yem

Naming children can get scary if elders interfere... some inlaws recommend seeing astrologer for names and do not keep the name right away.

I did not want anyone suggesting names so within a few hours of giving birth and when I was feeling better I took the forms to fill up the name of the baby for application of the birth certificate from the nurses station and filled up my son's name.

No way man...I will allow anyone to name my child..since I gave birth to him the name will be my choice.

Dear All

We are better-off than the Telugus too in "Offspring Nomenclature".

We had this joke about a friend - Sai travelling on a Chennai-Mumbai flight. He
was seated next to a 'white-man', who introduced himself :

WM : " I'm Bond. James Bond "
Sai : " I'm Sai. Sai Prasad" .
WM : " err... "
Sai : " Sai Prasad Rao ".
WM : " err...."
Sai : " B.V.K.D. Sai Prasad Rao"
WM : " err...."
Sai : B.V. Kanaka Durga Sai Prasad Rao
WM : " err..., B. V ? "
Sai : Yes, B. Venkata Kanaka Durga Sai Prasad Rao
WM : " err.. B ? "
Sai : " Yes, Balusuru Venkata Kanaka Durga Sai Prasad Rao "

Announcement : " Please fasten your seat belts, we are about to land in Mumbai ".,
The WM missed the last bit. So he asked him on the way out, " So, how do they call you?"

Sai replied : " RAO "

They landed in Mumbai safely !

Yay Yem

PS: Dr Renu - going by your yardstick, three generations of Raos must have conspired to
give Sai his name. He had one hell of a time filling up forms - he was always lost and didn't
know how to fit in all this into " First Name", "Middle Name" & "Surname" . So he changed his
name officially to a more manageable "S.P.Rao".

Oh Devuda !

"Saidevo", - I definitely wasn't referring to you in my post# 34 of this thread.
Otherwise, by now you would have made me " Govinda, Govinda " - even
Hanumanthudu could not have saved me !

Yay Yem

Dear All

Yay Yem

Dear AM Ji,

When I was in Manipal I also used to find Malayalam Christian names a bit unusual.
There were names like Tiji,Juju,Jiji,Biju,Biji etc..

Once one of my Tamilian Hindu male classmate (also from Malaysia) was sitting with me and another Malayali Hindu girl from USA.

Ok since all of us were Hindus my friend decided to discuss with me and the USA girl how come Malayali Christians keep names which are so different from other Christians he has known.

Suddenly the Malayali Hindu girl from USA got so wild with my friend as said "at least it sounds better than what your father's name is ..Kandasamy"

We were shocked with her outburst.My friend whose fathers name is Kandasamy asked her why she got so mad since all of us were Hindus so he thought he would discuss this with us.

To our surprise she said "I am a Malayali and don't you dare say anything about another Malayali"

That is the day I knew that Mallus have racial pride which comes before religion!!

Shocking !!

Last edited:
Dear Doc

Your post # 36. Yes they get very clannish. That's probably because it is only they
who have been blessed with a set of " resonating chords " situated in the nasal cavity.

These 'resonating chords' are either absent or vestigial in other humans - check
your Anatomy Book.

Yay Yem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back