• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

rent your sari

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

i never even imagined this. except, on the left side the screen, for this very forum, i saw the ad 'Expand your closer, rent your saris'.

what a novel concept.

now a days, when a high end sari costs move than 50,000 rupees, and we have designers like neetu kumar, or sabayasachi mukherjee, who have unique but telling designs, such that if this piece is worn a second time with the same crowd, it gets noticed.

also, with many numerous official and social functions that today's career woman attends, it simply is not possible to rotate the saris and make a 'grand entrance'.

even in the west, i have seen only tuxedo rentals for men. but never rental on women's clothes.

jai india. jai magalirs!

expandyourcloset

rent a sari ad in tambrams.com page..

even in the west, i have seen only tuxedo rentals for men. but never rental on women's clothes.

Maybe not rented, but used wedding gowns are quite common. I guess if the marriage did not work out, there is no point in preserving the gown in your closet.

All the expensive silk sarees used in the cine field and sometimes used by the carnatic music artists (?) are said to be

dry washed and sold in a few silk stores of SingArach chennai! I do not buy many silk sarees and when I buy, it will be

a low budget unused saree!

dear raji ram !
the same opinion was shared about a leading textile store(advertised as asia.'s biggest store )in Trichirappally

During my wedding one of father's patients - a very rich man- wanted me to wear all the gem studded bangles he had got made for his family. :popcorn:

According to my father who brought them from his house, they were just left casually in a plastic tray near their almarah. :shocked:

I refused but had to give in for the family pressure. But I wore my own bangles in my left hand and the borrowed one in my right hand.

I must have repeated at least 100 times during the wedding day :blabla:

"Only the left hand is mine.. the right hand is borrowed!"... meaning the jewels of course.

Suppose the in laws demanded me to enter their house with all the borrowed jewels for real...:scared:

I don't think I will wear something rented.. all my life, I have only borrowed my mom's sister's or my chithi's sarees.. which are from close family members, but to wear something has been worn by someone else, Nah! not my style.

There is a site called " borrow it Bindaas".. and it rents sarees, salwar kurta gagra choli and kurta's for men... this is because the younger generation are not likely to buy such expensive things so they go to a party in style with borrowed garments.. perhaps it is the trend, I don't think until now my children would even think of that..

I understand your reluctance during your wedding Mrs. Visalakshi, how you felt wearing those bangles.. I would have had the same reaction..

I used to buy a lot of costume jewelry and also have sold custom made costume jewelry.. I still have over 75 pieces to sell, but once I wear it I don't sell them.. :) but some of my friends younger generation have asked me if I am bored with my sarees, if they can take them.. I had to say give me a few years, I still love my sarees and when that moham is over I can give it to you guys.. of course, the first choice will go to my kids.. :)

dear bushu,

re your post #7,

I don't think I will wear something rented.. all my life, I have only borrowed my mom's sister's or my chithi's sarees.. which are from close family members, but to wear something has been worn by someone else, Nah! not my style.

please treat this post kindly. not meant to be criticism or comment. please, just an observation.

in my brief 61 years on this planet, i have found, that the one word or phrase, that has needed re-thinking, is the word 'never'.

yogi berra, the great american baseball player, put it more plainly, 'it aint over till its over'.

as long as we breathe this air, we can never predict how we will behave the next instance.

at this instance in time, you feel that you will not wear a used sari. but that is in the context of my presentation of worn saris, in a commercial context.

i will not dwell more, but there are many many instances, of sentimental wear, of used saris...for many an occassions ... please treat this kindly..and more a caution..lest we make absolute statements.

as a spiritual person, i feel, only God can be absolute. all of us, are indeed relative - to time space circumstances and beyond.

God Bless.

dear bushu,

re your post #7,

please treat this post kindly. not meant to be criticism or comment. please, just an observation.

in my brief 61 years on this planet, i have found, that the one word or phrase, that has needed re-thinking, is the word 'never'.

yogi berra, the great american baseball player, put it more plainly, 'it aint over till its over'.

as long as we breathe this air, we can never predict how we will behave the next instance.

at this instance in time, you feel that you will not wear a used sari. but that is in the context of my presentation of worn saris, in a commercial context.

i will not dwell more, but there are many many instances, of sentimental wear, of used saris...for many an occassions ... please treat this kindly..and more a caution..lest we make absolute statements.

as a spiritual person, i feel, only God can be absolute. all of us, are indeed relative - to time space circumstances and beyond.

God Bless.

Dear Kunjuppu sir,

I have had a previous not one but two not so pleasant experience, so I based my feelings on that..You are right.. no one knows what happens next second.. I am not trying to make a godly statement but at the same time, i do have a right to express what I feel, it is only fair Illaiya???

I am also more spiritual than religious and understand what you are conveying.. If I sounded too strong I apologize..

Also please understand I am not judging anyone who might be doing it.. I am ok if someone else does it.. I am not closed up.. :) in fact that is why I mentioned the Borrow at Bindas on the internet.. but just that I might not want to do it at any time.. that is all..

YOu are right, I did take this a bit seriously.. that was silly of me.. :)

dear bushu,

i am sorry if i sounded serious too. apologies.

mrs k, when she visits chennai, sometimes is overwhelmed by the places to go, and her apparent dearth of jigu jigu saris. she borrows freely from my cousins, who are only too happy to please her :)

also, nowadays, many designer saris are so distinctive, that if you wear it once, you become identified with it. my wife has a sari, a crepe, which has the photos (yes photos) of all the super models. it was an inexpensive one, bought at naidu hall in pondy bazaar,as it caught my eye. it is so distinctive and attractive, that wearing it again to the same crowd would be unthinkable. :)

re renting your own saris, you might notice the website - i think you may have to do some fancy art work or some distinctive add on to make your collection attractive and for one to shell out $100 a shot, for wearing it. seriously, you should give it a shot.

it is a good proposition, and a useful way of dispensing with the tons of saris which our tambram women in the usa appear to have.

best wishes...

Dear kunjuppu,

Please don't apologise, we are friends.. :) Yes I have been seeing so many of those designer sarees.. I somehow don't have the heart to buy one too expensive.. I wanted one for my daughter but she being so simple did not care.. so I had to order some sarees to give away to my SIL's so I ordered through RMKV and also one beautiful very elegant saree for my older one daughter, again, she is way too simple so does not care either.. but the ones I ordered were so nice and between 2and 3 thousand I got some real cute ones.. I spent so much time, because I am not working and to buy them within budget was my problem, I were with lots of money I would have bought them much more expensive, since the more I saw the more expensive they were..

Anyway, when I mentioned my sarees.. I was planning to take some of them back and get them customized to suit today's trend, not too many but at least a few.. talk to you later.. got to go now.. my husband wants to hog my computer now.. hahahahahaha!!!!

I think sari rental is a brilliant idea. The concept fits because younger generation does not collect saris like older generation, and only wears them for big events such as weddings, religious functions...

My neighbor's daughter-in-law rented a sari from Sari Closet last month. She said that when she called them, they were very helpful in terms of free shipping, helping her choose a sari, and taking payment...and they are very inexpensive - only $80 dollars a week for a sari that looks exactly like a Sabyasachi sari.

They told her lots of people are renting now, especially Diwali, Halloween, and business functions.

They are only in the U.S. as yet though, not in India. Link is here: Sari Rentals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back