• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Regarding sandyavandanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Question:- Namaste, After performing Sandhya Vandhanam, we are advised to pour the remaining water in places where people's foot don't touch. Is it correct to pour the water in a Thulasi mAdam?

Where are you ? you can ask your vaadhyar about this. Even for performing
sandhya, get initiated by him and practice it before him for about a week.
This is the easiest way of doing it correctly

New Question:- Namaste, After performing Sandhya Vandhanam, we are advised to pour the remaining water in places where people's foot don't touch. Is it correct to pour the water in a Thulasi mAdam?

This is not exactly correct. (Closet is a place where people won't tread.) What the devout people are supposed to do is to pour the water poured by way of arghyam, kesavaadi tarpanam, etc., and not the "remining water" in the panchapaatra. It can be poured in thulasi maadam or simply on clean earth which will absorb the water (may be some garden is there even around multi-storeyed complexes and my extremely orthodox cousin goes down by lift and pours the water there.)

I was told by someone that it is better to partake the water in the argyam paathram. The water left in the tumbler must be poured in thulasi maadam, if available. Otherwise in a place where people won't tread, as Sangom sir has mentioned).

If I am correct, I have been advised by elders, that the remaining unused waters can be poured into the
water. Even the Tharpanam Waters can be poured into the Well according to Sastrigals/Vadhyaar, chiefly
because, the 'thilam' i.e. Ell should not grow in the houses.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I was told by someone that it is better to partake the water in the argyam paathram.).

This is strictly not allowed by Shastras, Siva. "arghyam" can only be disposed off. Only the fluids from "abhishekams" can be sipped as teertham, but you cannot drink the whole thing away :).

An exception - which I doubt to be a later change brought about for the sake of consumer satisfaction - is the practice of the water in Kumbham, into which Varuna, the water-god is invoked and to whom pooja is done, being sprinkled all around for "purifying" the house and the same water - from inside the pot - is nowadays distributed as "teertham" with the vaadhyaar solemnly uttering "varuNa pAdOdakam Subham"! In the olden days only the water used for the pooja, collected in a small "kiNNam" or something used to be 'elongated' with regular water and used in this way.

Last edited:
If I am correct, I have been advised by elders, that the remaining unused waters can be poured into the
water. Even the Tharpanam Waters can be poured into the Well according to Sastrigals/Vadhyaar, chiefly
because, the 'thilam' i.e. Ell should not grow in the houses.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

The unused waters left in the panchapatram is just ordinary water and one may do whatever is convenient. But the tarpanam waters should not be thrown in any place where the til will germinate, not even in well or pond, because the water in the well will become unfit for devapooja and ponds were used to clean after defecation. Hence the earlier practice was to pour the water, with the eLLu on some cemented floor outside the house where the eLLu will get dry and destroyed by sunlight.

The presence of the germinated eLLu from tarpaNam, Sraaddham, etc., are supposed to invite (visvedevas) more deaths in the larger patriarchal family including ours.

Unutilised and Tharpanam waters

The unused waters left in the panchapatram is just ordinary water and one may do whatever is convenient. But the tarpanam waters should not be thrown in any place where the til will germinate, not even in well or pond, because the water in the well will become unfit for devapooja and ponds were used to clean after defecation. Hence the earlier practice was to pour the water, with the eLLu on some cemented floor outside the house where the eLLu will get dry and destroyed by sunlight.

The presence of the germinated eLLu from tarpaNam, Sraaddham, etc., are supposed to invite (visvedevas) more deaths in the larger patriarchal family including ours.

The same doubt I too had. I did ask one or two how can we pour that into the well. Why not we pour it on a cement
platform where sunlight is available, so that eLLu can get dried and destroyed. The answer I got was that there is no
harm in throwing into the well as it will not germinate. The reply I got was that the well water at certain level gets rotated with water surface/routes and the same water what we throw in the well will not remain as such. This is the reply I got from few.

The same doubt I too had. I did ask one or two how can we pour that into the well. Why not we pour it on a cement
platform where sunlight is available, so that eLLu can get dried and destroyed. The answer I got was that there is no
harm in throwing into the well as it will not germinate. The reply I got was that the well water at certain level gets rotated with water surface/routes and the same water what we throw in the well will not remain as such. This is the reply I got from few.

I am writing from my experience. In our ancestral home, my grandfather never allowed the tarpanam water and eLLu to be poured into the well which supplied drinking water. The sesame will germinate, elders used to say, in water also even if there is no sand (earth) to germinate.

திருமதி உமா சங்கரன் அவர்கள் எழுதிய "ஸ்ரீ காயத்ரீ" (கிரி டிரேடிங் ஏஜென்சி பிரைவேட் லிமிடெட் பதிப்பு) புத்தகத்திலிருந்து...

"சந்தியாவந்தனத்தில் அர்க்கியமும் காயத்ரீயும் முக்கியமானவை.

உடல் நலம் சரியில்லாதபோது கூட அவர்களுக்காக மற்றவர்கள் சந்தியாவந்தனம் செய்து தீர்த்தத்தை அவர்கள் வாயில் விட வேண்டும். மருந்தும் தீர்க்காத நோயை இந்த ஜலம் தீர்க்கும்."

From the above, it appears that one can partake the santhyavandanam water.

திருமதி உமா சங்கரன் அவர்கள் எழுதிய "ஸ்ரீ காயத்ரீ" (கிரி டிரேடிங் ஏஜென்சி பிரைவேட் லிமிடெட் பதிப்பு) புத்தகத்திலிருந்து...

"சந்தியாவந்தனத்தில் அர்க்கியமும் காயத்ரீயும் முக்கியமானவை.

உடல் நலம் சரியில்லாதபோது கூட அவர்களுக்காக மற்றவர்கள் சந்தியாவந்தனம் செய்து தீர்த்தத்தை அவர்கள் வாயில் விட வேண்டும். மருந்தும் தீர்க்காத நோயை இந்த ஜலம் தீர்க்கும்."

From the above, it appears that one can partake the santhyavandanam water.

In hinduism we have the situation of தடியெடுத்தவனெல்லாம் தண்டல்க்காரன். The above is a fall-out of this. According to the Shastras, when any orthodox person is too ill to perform his sandhyaavandanam, his son or some one else can perform that (with abhivaadaye being of the person who is ill) and after performing the gaayatree japam, the agent who does the ritual has to pour water from the jalapaatram on to the right palm of the ill person who will recite mantra to the effect that those rites may be considered as having been performed by himself - மயா க்ருதம் இதம் ப்ராதஃ ஸந்த்யாவந்தனம்/மாத்யான்னிகம்/ஸாயம் ஸந்த்யாவந்தனம் ஸர்வம் கர்ம ஓம் தத் ஸத் ப்ரம்மார்ப்பணமஸ்து, is imo, the mantram but I am open to correction.

...உடல் நலம் சரியில்லாதபோது கூட அவர்களுக்காக மற்றவர்கள் சந்தியாவந்தனம் செய்து தீர்த்தத்தை அவர்கள் வாயில் விட வேண்டும்.
I have read that you can subcontract out doing of Sandya if one is infirm, but I have never heard of this.

Nara,

It is allowed.
Sangom sir,
I have a feeling with "it is allowed" you are referring to somebody else performing sandhya on behalf of another person, which is true and I have heard of it.

What I was commenting about was this -- "தீர்த்தத்தை அவர்கள் வாயில் விட வேண்டும்.". I have read and even seen a fellow practice this proxy-Sandhya, but I have never heard this thing about pouring the remaining water into the mouth of the infirm. If it is argyam, then I am pretty sure it must not be poured into anybody's mouth, it must be poured into a well, a river or some clean place that will not be treaded upon by anyone. If it is the water remaining after the conclusion of sandhya, then that is like pouring any other water, it doesn't have any ritual significance that I have read or known about. Is this not correct?

Cheers!

Regarding Sandyavandanam

I have not read that article; as I had no chance to know from elders too so far about dropping
Sandya Vandanam argyam water being dropped into the mouth of physically unwell person.
It is a good piece of information.

As regards Gayathri, I have come across some article about the "Rishis" chanting Gayathri
Mantra continuously without an end. It appears according to mythology they do it for preserving
the planet Surya from extinguishing. Further, according to our puranas, in Artillery and Missile
warfare, only the variants of Gayathri Mantra were chanted for launching the Sastras
i.e. weapons.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back