• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Reg: Sandhyavandahanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets put some more thoughts of mine here..

I would say there must be a reason behind every rules that was put in place and being practiced.

The vocal cords of men and woman are different in nature. There were few sounds in Sanskrit which can’t be produced as exact as the pronunciation should be by the vocal cord of a women.
Thanks,
Arun M

Dear Sir,

The vocal chords of a male and female differ in size of vocal folds and even among males there is difference in the size of vocal folds..this leads to classification of voice types among both sexes.

But this does not interfere in the ability for a male or female to pronounce a word.

Obviously we all have different accents depending on the community and country we originate from.

If you hear a Brahmin priest from the North reciting Vedic Mantras he would sound a little different from a TB priests from TN.

Its becos their native language differs.

I personally know a TB Iyengar priest who can not pronounce Sha..for a name like Prashanth he says it as Prasanth.

Since you have mentioned that females are unable to pronounce a few words in Sanskrit..I would like you to furnish examples for such words.

For example..lets take the Gayatri Mantra..can you give me an example of any syllable there which a female can not pronounce?

I am aware of Vedic accents and its Udatta,Anudatta and Svarita accent modes..so I do not mind a detail answer from you.

BTW...Just to add isnt the Mental Recitation of the Gayatri Mantra supposed to be the most superior practice of all then saying it aloud?

Mental recitation does not need vocal chords.

Last edited:
I have heard a learned person saying that women should not chant the pranava mantra "Om". The reason given was that while chanting that mantra the vibrations that accompany such chanting affect the uterus of a woman adversely. So they are advised to chant it in the next best way "Am" (அம்) if they want to chant any mantra of which the vyahriti forms a part. In Gayatri mantra the "Om" occurs right in the beginning. So it would be better for women not to chant the gayatri.

If a rebuttal comes I would like it to be about any study conducted for the truth of this effect on uterus and its findings. Not shallow and meaningless chatter.

I have heard a learned person saying that women should not chant the pranava mantra "Om". The reason given was that while chanting that mantra the vibrations that accompany such chanting affect the uterus of a woman adversely. So they are advised to chant it in the next best way "Am" (அம்) if they want to chant any mantra of which the vyahriti forms a part. In Gayatri mantra the "Om" occurs right in the beginning. So it would be better for women not to chant the gayatri.

If a rebuttal comes I would like it to be about any study conducted for the truth of this effect on uterus and its findings. Not shallow and meaningless chatter.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

Technically the Gayatri Mantra starts with Tat Savitur Varenyam to be within its ChandaH.

The OM Bhur Bhuvah Svah is not part of the ChandaH.

Coming to the learned person saying about Pranava could have adverse effects to the Uterus..it would be nice too if some evidence and mechanism of action of the Pranava with regards to the Uterine Tissue can be shared here.

If this can be produced it would be beneficial to everyone here and does not remain here say evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back