• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

RAgam, ThAnam, Pallavi - fascinating facts!

5. RasALi.

This is a janya rAgam of the fourth mELa rAgam Vanaspathi.

ArOhaNam: S R1 M1 P D2 N2 S. - avarOhaNam: S. D1 P M1 R1 S

Here is a Saint Thyagaraja keerthanai sung by Smt. Sudha Raghunathan.

Aparadhamula - Rasali song from Sudha Raghunathan

An interesting fact: Vanspathi is a vivAdhi rAgam with suddha GAndhAram.

But since Gandharam does not appear in RasALi, it is not a vivAdhi rAgam! :)

8. RasALi.

This rAgam has touches of ChakravAham but it is the janya rAgam of Vanaspathi, the fourth rAgam in the

mEla chakram. This is not a vivAdhi rAgam as its janaka rAgam since the vivAdhi swaram is not present!

ArOhaNam: S R1 M1 P D2 N2 S' - avarOhaNam: S' D2 P M1 R1 S

Smt. Jayanthi Kumaresh presents Saint Thyagaraja's keerthanai on veena.

Aparadhamula Norva - Rasali - Smt.Jayanthi Kumaresh

Sorry for repeating the rAgam RasALi. The next rAgam will be No. 8.

Anyway the song played by Smt. Jayanthi on veena is nice to listen! :)

On every Tuesday at 9 pm Podhikai TV runs a program on apoorva meLakarta ragas. Last Tuesday the meLakarta raga was Divyamani which is full of vivaadi swaras.

Dear Subbu Sir,

Glad to note about the professional ghatam player in your family!

The rAgam Divyamani has only one vivAdhi swaram - shatsruthi Daivatham.

This is the 48th rAgam in the mELa chakram.

ArOhaNam: S R1 G2 M2 P D3 N3 S'

avarOhaNam: S' N3 D3 P M2 G2 R1 S

S, R, G, M, N
are all same swarams as ShubhapanthuvarALi. Only D is different.

Dear Subbu Sir,

Glad to note about the professional ghatam player in your family!

The rAgam Divyamani has only one vivAdhi swaram - shatsruthi Daivatham.

This is the 48th rAgam in the mELa chakram.

ArOhaNam: S R1 G2 M2 P D3 N3 S'

avarOhaNam: S' N3 D3 P M2 G2 R1 S

S, R, G, M, N
are all same swarams as ShubhapanthuvarALi. Only D is different.

I stand corrected. Probably in the rendering of the raga D3 is given a lot of importance and the artist demonstrating the raga also said that the beauty of the raga lies in the vivaadi swaram.

Yes, the raga has a close resemblance to ShubhabantuvaraLi.

Prasanna plays ghatam only during weekends as he is working as a customer service engineer in Kone Elevators, Chennai.

10. Jingala.

Most of the janya rAgams of Natabhairavi also look similar. Not much gamakams and hence many film

songs are based in Natabhairavi! The rare rAgam 'Jingala' is one of the janya rAgams of Natabhairavi.

The name of this raga never fails to bring a giggle in me! I used to like this fancy name when I was a kid.

ArOhaNam: S R2 G2 M1 P D1 N2 D1 P S

avarOhaNam: S N2 D1 P M1 G2 R2 S

One popular song of Saint Thyagaraja:

Anadhudanu ganu - Jingala: Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna

We siblings had lot of fun during our childhood and this song reminds me of the rhymes we heard.

Sri Rama pAdhamA chundal vadai vENumA!! :D

12. Anandha.

This might be a new rAgam. The ArOhaNam and avarOhaNam are like this:

S M1 G3 M2 D1 N3 S'

S' N3 D1 P M2 G3 R1 S

This is a janya rAgam of KAmavardhini with anya swaram M1.

Hence the G M D N S' phrases gives a similarity to KAmavardhini aka PanthuvarALi.

P.S: This song was posted by Prof. M S K in another thread. Since the rAgam is new, I would like re-post here. :)

Aruna Sairam - Azhagiya Mayilin Adivaa muruga

Has any member come across somebody singing TirukkuraL set to carnatic raga? ........
Dear Sir,

Any regular listener would have heard Sri. M. M. Dandapani Desikar sing 'Agara muthala' set to

Hamsadhwani rAgam, as the first song, in many of his concerts. Sri. Sanjay has changed the tune only.

Dear Sir,

Any regular listener would have heard Sri. M. M. Dandapani Desikar sing 'Agara muthala' set to

Hamsadhwani rAgam, as the first song, in many of his concerts. Sri. Sanjay has changed the tune only.

I have heard only his songs from the film Nandanaar. I have never heard his concert as my interest in carnatic music came only in the early eighties.

I had the opportunity of MMD rendering Thirukkurals in Carnatic sytle, in Kapaleeswarar Temple in the year 1952. that time I was 18. Then I could not identify ragas, talas, etc.

Sanjay Subramanian picks up unheard lyrics from old literatures and sings to please his soul and
his fans.

narayananms

Latest ads

Back