• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

RAgam, ThAnam, Pallavi - fascinating facts!

Sri. T. N. Krishnan has rendered the famous RTP in the four rAgams SankarAbharaNam, ThOdi, KalyANi and DharbAr

on violin. It was broadcast today in FM Gold and was excellent! :thumb:

Podhigai TV had a programme on all melakarthas and the great Mela ragamalika of Maha vaidhyanatha sivan. In addition to that there was a programme on the lakshana of RTP by Mrs. R.Vedavalli. It is available in Sangeethapriya.org. For those who are interested.

TVS with the voice support from behind is really good on youtube (pretty much like MS and co)!

Madam ur innings in this thread is scant these days!.....
I think I have given enough information in this thread; but would like to write about a few more rare rAgams!

If I participate in G D and chit chat forums, the time for this thread reduces!! :sad:

This is a really good website. When I opened this site today morning I was delighted to hear the concert of Abhishek Raghuram, one of my favourites. Thanks for the info.

I was under the impression that the vocalists have edged out instrumentalists in the carnatic music field. I was therefore surprised to see the following photo in dinamalar.com. Madam Raji would be happy to see this.

The divine instrument Veena can never go extinct as some people fear! :)

Thanks for this photo Subbu Sir!

3134d1381415754-ragam-thanam-pallavi-fascinating-facts-veena-concert.jpeg

I was under the impression that the vocalists have edged out instrumentalists in the carnatic music field.

this would warrant a seperate thread i guess!!

vocalist is economically viable and invariably will include ateast a shruthi box!

cognitively the understanding can be 'Endaro mahanu bavu LOO'

Instrumentalists are GODS! according to me.

this would warrant a seperate thread i guess!! ........
May be, Sandhya!

I consider anyone who produces good music - karNamrutham - is God, be it a vocalist or instrumentalist!

Smt. Sudha Raghunathan said in one of her interviews that it is amazing to note that such a tiny part, roughly in the

size of a big clove, viz. vocal chord of a human, could be trained to produced such a good music. :sing:

This is a really good website. When I opened this site today morning I was delighted to hear the concert of Abhishek Raghuram, one of my favourites. Thanks for the info.
Dear Sir,

I used to rack my brain to identify a few artists! Today Google search gave the following link which gives the artists name.

carnaticradio.rad.io . Thanks to Prof. M S K sir who asked me how to find the name of unfamiliar artists! :)

Right now, the talented youngster Sriranjani Santhanagopalan has started her concert. :thumb:

Only today I noticed that the song, rAgam, thALam and composer are displayed

(scrolls) along with the
name of the artist(s), in carnaticradio.rad.io web page.:)

This website is a link to another website carnaticradio.com, which in fact broadcasts the carnatic music. This is a Singapore based website and sometimes they webcast concerts real time, mostly in the months March/April.

I feel the phrases are better. For example, let us take the same example, Anandabhairavi and Reetigowla. The phrase SGRGM is common in both. The latter half PDPS takes to Anandabhairavi easily and that NDMNNS takes us to Reetigowla easily. Like that , for example, Bhairavi, if we start from Rishabham, or the phrase RSNDSRGMPDNS and then avarohanam will be easier.

I feel the phrases are better. ........
Dear friend,

Carnatic music IS based on phrases. We have to learn a few songs in each rAgam to know the flow of the rAgam and the

main phrases of that particular rAgam. 'kELvi jnAnam' is very important. If our music is only swaram based, then all mELa

rAgams will have the same pattern with different swarams! Some rAgams which are sung rarely do not have specific phrases

of their own and hence will sound like the mixture of two rAgams!

Dear Sandhya,

I know that your favorite rAgam is NaLinakAnthi. :)

This Pallavi set to Thisra Thriputa thALam. Laghu with three counts + two druthams. (ThALam of the 5th AlankAram)

(It is similar to Adhi thALam but finger count is only two)

I am giving the aksharams as 24 + 16 + 16 for easy understanding. (capitals 2 aksharams; smalls 1 aksharam)

; ; ; S G R M ; ; pnP N | S' ; ; ; ; ; ; S'| , n P,m nPm M,g G || ,r S ; =
......NaLinakAn--thi-ma|thim.........Na |--mAm-ya--ham--Sa---dhA

Simpler version will be:

; ; ; S G R M ; ; P S' N | S' ; ; ; ; ; ; S' | N P ; N P M ; M || ; G R = repeat
.....NaLinakAn--thi-ma| thim........Na|--mam-ya-ham-Sa--dhA = (NaLina)

In 12 + 8 + 8 counts a simple jathi could be:

, , , tha ki ta thOm , , dheem , tha | dheem , , , , , , tha | ka dheem , tha ka thOm , tha || ri ki ta =

Latest ads

Back